Author's Chapter Notes:
So I think I'm losing readers...Are people still interested? If so please review so I'll know to keep posting here.
Buffy fixed her lip gloss and smiled at her appearance. She looked good, she thought, better than she had in months. It wasn’t the dress, she realized, although Spike’s reaction when she’d come out wearing it told her that it was good too. No, she looked good because she looked happy. There was a flush in her cheeks and an aura of energy about her that hadn’t been there a day and a half ago. She turned and walked back out in to the pub.

There was a waitress at their booth. Buffy paused in the entrance of the hallway for a moment and watched the girl flirt with Spike. She frowned. Miss Big Hair was pulling out all the tricks, she thought, laughing like whatever Spike had said was the cleverest joke she’d ever heard. When the waitress leaned on the table, Buffy decided that she had seen enough. She walked over and gave the girl a big smile as she scooted on to the bench with Spike. She placed her hand on his leg. “Did you order for me baby?”

Spike grinned at Buffy’s little show, but decided to play along. “How do you feel about fish and chips kitten?”

“Sounds yummy.”

Spike nodded to the waitress. “A couple a pints” he added pulling Buffy tighter against his side. He chuckled when the waitress left. “Having fun pet?”

“What...I mean yeah.”

He tried to talk her into going home after they’d eaten. He told her he was ready to have some dessert and that she tasted sweet like honey and vanilla and spicy like hot cinnamon too. But she insisted they go to a club. “I want to show you off.” She’d whispered, and he’d nodded helplessly. He too easily remembered all the nights he’d spent wishing she would tell her friends, wishing that they could go out, wishing that she would stop being ashamed of him. This was like a dream, which was of course, why he knew it couldn’t last. He was certain that she’d realize soon enough that she didn’t really love him, that she couldn’t, and it would be over. He was determined to enjoy every minute until then.

Buffy pulled Spike on to the dance floor, only mildly surprised that he didn’t resist. A lot of guys did; a lot of guys acted like dancing would somehow steal their masculinity. But Spike just tugged her close, fitting her body to his, and swayed with the music. He pressed his leg between her thighs and she gasped.

“Wanted to dance with you the first moment I ever saw you.”

Buffy leaned back and gave him a skeptical look. “Really?”

“Not saying I didn’t want to drain you right after.”

She laughed softly. “Are you…are you happy that you’re human again?”

He froze. He knew that she was; that it made things simpler for her. “I don’t know pet.”

They danced for a while, slow and close regardless of the song being played

They’d barely made it in the front door when Spike dropped to his knees in front of her and reached up to tug down her panties. “Can’t wait.” He mumbled, leaning back to rest against his heels and pulling her on to his lap. He held her against him with one hand and reached his other down to unbuckle and unzip his pants. He quickly buried himself in her warmth.

She moaned when he began thrusting himself up and dug her fingers into his shoulders. She wrapped her legs around his waist. “Oh god baby.”

They came fast, the dancing having already left them both close to the edge. Spike held her against him until they had both stopped shuddering and then stood up. When she untangled her legs from his waist to stand, he slid an arm behind her knees and scooped her into his arms. “Not done yet.” He headed towards the stairs.


****************************************

The blood drained from Spike’s face as he looked down at the small leather-bound book. How the hell did she get that, he thought, it’s impossible. He picked it up. It couldn’t be, he thought, not really. It was.

He was still holding the book, starring at it with glossy eyes, when Buffy came back from her shower. “Spike?”

He turned to her, holding up the book. His jaw clenched. “Where did you get this?” His voice was low.

Buffy’s eyes widened. He was clearly upset. “Andrew…Andrew found it when he was going through the Council archives…he knew that I …” It wasn’t helping, she saw that and sighed. She dropped into a chair. “He’d heard Willow and I talking…I didn’t have anything…Sunnydale was just gone…everything was just gone. All my pictures, my mom’s…everything that I had, everything that I could hold and…Willow lost everything of Tara’s too and Andrew heard us talking and he was just trying to help. He found stuff; he went online and found stuff: the picture from my Mom’s driver’s license and Tara’s class schedule and…and he went in to the archives and he snuck that out so I could have something of yours too.”

Spike continued to stare at the book. He remembered the day he’d lost it, some twenty years after he’d been turned. He’d been surprised that he’d been able to hold on to it for so long. Spike remembered the trouble he’d gone to in order to keep it hidden from Angelus. Journals full of bad poetry you’d written as a man were hardly the sort of thing he’d approve of. It was too human. He’d often managed to hide it on his person, but he hadn’t that day. And when they’d had to leave town in a hurry, as they often had due to his adventures, he’d had to leave it behind. He’d always thought that it had gotten burned, consumed in the fire lit by the mob that chased them out. Apparently he’d always thought wrong.

“Spike…are you mad?”

He was quiet for a moment. “Did you read it?” He looked up at her.

“Yeah.” She nodded. “I …”

He looked away. “I know it wasn’t any good…dreadful bit of rubbish really.”

Buffy stood and took a step towards him. “I liked it.” She whispered.

Spike looked back up, eyebrow arched.

She shrugged. “It was pretty…and rhyme-y and…” She bit her lip. “It was yours.” She said simply.

Spike looked back at the book for a moment and placed it back on her dresser.

“So you’re not mad?”

“Pretty pissed those pricks at the council had it.”

“At me?”

He shook his head.

Buffy stood up and reached for the journal. “Will you read them to me?”

Spike looked like he was about to say no.

“I would really like it.” She lowered her voice suggestively.

“That so?”

Buffy nodded.

He pulled her up against him. “Maybe we can work something out.”

She giggled. “Yeah?”

“You think a bit a bad verse will do it for ya; I want to watch.”

Buffy crinkled her nose. “What?”

He placed her on the bed and kneeled beside her, untying the belt of her robe. He lifted her hand and kissed it before pressing it down her body. “You play, I read.”

“Spike! That’s…”

He chuckled at her blush. “Hot.”

“Weird and kind of pervy.”

“So you don’t really want to hear them then?”

“Spike!” She groaned.

“C’mon pet, just want to see what you do with those pretty little fingers when I’m not around.” When it looked like she might give in he settled down beside her and opened the journal. He held the book in his right hand and used his left to guide her hand back down. “Bet you start right here, don’t ya pet, straight to business?”

She blushed hot red. “Spike”

“So you were just being nice, don’t really care for ‘em then?” He fought back a smirk and gave her a pout.

She swallowed. “Start reading.”

He took a deep breath and began reading a poem he’d written but hadn’t seen in a century. He read with the voice of the man he had been, cultured and clear, and Buffy was once again struck by the idea that so much of who he was remained a mystery.

“You’re in my heart, a song I hum
Whilst the bird at my window does ditty
Though the crowds you know me not from
do swell, my soul knows you, the time shall come …”

Spike glanced over the book and smirked.

“When you let me play with your titty.”

“Spike! It does not say that.”

He shrugged. “It should.” He set the book on the table and leaned over her. “You looked like you needed some help.”

“You were helping.” She giggled.

Spike kissed her neck. “Deserve the words of a far better poet luv.”

Buffy smiled, amused by his ability to go from dirty to earnest at the drop of a pin and wondering how quickly he would go back. “I like your words.”

Spike smirked. “Good cause I’m thinking a few right now.”

There he goes, she thought with a grin.