Author's Chapter Notes:
This is a one shot written for Spuffy Fantasy banner challenge, I'm trying to get back into writing, Big thanks toDusty273 for beta-ing for me.Banner by Brendensbabe
William ran a stray hand through his loose blond curls, letting out a sigh as he looked ahead at the long abandoned rode ahead of him. He knew driving across country wasn’t the easiest way to travel, but he just couldn’t trust his precious Desoto in the hands of some auto train, no matter how much it annoyed Cecily.

Cecily, he couldn’t believe that in less than a week they would be married. He still remembered when he’d first met her; her cruel words when he read her his poetry still burned in his memory. However, her opinion of him had changed after his brief affair with Drusilla. After his black goddess had transformed him into Spike.

Dru changed his hair, his clothes, and instilled in him a confidence he wasn’t aware he was capable of. Of course, that was before she ripped his heart out when he found her in bed with his supposed best friend, Liam. His chest tightened at the memory of her laughter as he wept at her feet. “My sweet Spike, the three of us could have such a wonderful time.”

William winced in disgust at the memory. Though now he guessed it was all for the best. Cecily had finally taken notice of the changes he’d made in his persona and now just a few short months later, they were going to become husband and wife. He was happy, after all, this was what he had wanted all along… right?

*********************


Buffy cursed, stumbling to the ground as the heel of one of her very expensive shoes snapped in half. Tears spilled down her cheeks as she crumpled to the pebbled ground. How had she ended up here, on the side of the rode with nothing but a small bag and the clothes on her back?

In the span of a few short days, she had gone from living a life of luxury, with expensive clothes, fancy parties, and an unlimited expense account, to this. All she had to do was turn a blind eye. It shouldn’t have been so hard; she was a survivor after all.

She had learned at an early age to use all of her resources to get what she wanted, never caring much about who she hurt in the process. So why the sudden attack of conscience now? It didn’t matter why, the fact remained that her choices had led her here on this abandoned rode to nowhere.


*********************


Spike muttered under his breath as he slammed on his brakes. He didn’t have time for this. But even if he didn’t, he couldn’t stop hearing his late mother’s voice in his head telling him he couldn’t leave a lady in distress on the side of the road.

Buffy heard the car stop and was aware of the heavy steps coming her way. Looking up, she smiled hoping to see a handsome man in a business suit, her smile quickly fading when instead she found a blond haired man dressed in black leather and denim.

Great, , she thought inwardly, why couldn’t her savoir at least have a decent car, and not be a bad boy wannabe in a big metal hunk of junk?

“Are you alright?” the man asked in a deep British accent.

Buffy appraised the stranger with new eyes. Okay, so he was handsome, sexy even, but she had learned long ago that she needed more than just good looks. However, now was not the time to be fussy, she could at least use him to get to the next town. Plastering her brightest smile she batted her eyelashes at him. “I’m such a klutz,” she pouted, showing him her ruined shoe.

“Well, no wonder when trying to walk in those bloody awful shoes.” Spike smirked looking at her five inch heels.

“What? Awful? I’ll have you know these are two hundred dollar shoes,” Buffy huffed.

Spike chuckled when he saw the blonde girl scrunch up her nose.

“You need a ride, pet?” he said before he could stop himself.

Buffy sighed, turning to look down towards the long, deserted road and then back at him. Well, I guess it beats walking, , she thought.

“Sure, if it isn’t too much trouble.”

Spike helped the petite blonde girl to the car, tossing various pieces of trash and discarded clothing to the back seat.

Buffy slid into the car, immediately noting the hot leather seats and apparent lack of air conditioning. Perfect, , she muttered to herself, fighting the urge to break down and cry. This was so not her day!

“So, where are you headed, love?” Spike asked as he started the car and pulled back onto the road.

Buffy stared ahead at the barren asphalt, her expression unreadable. “Anywhere but here,” it came out as a mere whisper, but the choked tone of her voice unnerved Spike.

“W-well, I’m headed to L.A. I c-can take you as far as that,” he stumbled over his words, suddenly feeling more like William than he had in a long time.

A small smile graced her face. “California,” she sighed wistfully. “It’s been a while.”

Spike cleared his throat. “You’ve been there?” grateful for the change in her tone.

“I have,” she said, not bothering on elaborating.

“So, you have a name or should I just call you blondie for the rest of the trip?” Spike smirked.

Buffy looked over at him, chewing on her bottom lip, for a long moment he thought she wasn’t going to answer. “Buffy,” she mumbled at last.

“Buffy?” Spike chuckled. “Seriously, pet, if you don’t want to tell me…”

“That’s my name,” Buffy responded indignantly.

“Come on, who would name someone that?” Spike snorted.

“My mother would!” Buffy said angrily. “What’s your name?”

“Wi…Spike,” he straightened up at the last second.

Buffy giggled. “Oh yeah, you have room to talk, Spike, .”

Spike knew he should be offended, but glancing over at the small blonde in the passenger seat, seeing the sparkle illuminating her green eyes, he simply couldn’t. Not when this was the first true smile he’d seen from her.

She shifted uncomfortably under the sidelong looks he kept throwing at her. “So, what’s in L.A?” she asked, peeling her legs off of the hot leather and tucking them underneath her.

Spike couldn’t help but notice her skirt ride up with her movement, exposing her golden muscular thighs. He willed his eyes away, taking a moment to concentrate on her words. “I’m…ah…getting married.”

Buffy studied his profile for a long minute before speaking again, “Married?” She paused, “do you love her?”

Spike faltered at her question. Taking a deep breath before answering, “What the bloody hell kind of question is that? I just told you I was marrying, her.”

Buffy shrugged, “There are a lot of reasons people get married for and most of them make a whole lot more sense than love., ”

Spike looked over at her, “You’ve never been in love?”

Buffy furrowed her brow as she looked out the window, as if searching the landscape for the answer. “Maybe puppy love when I was younger. When I believed it mattered.”

Spike opened his mouth to speak before realizing that she was talking more to herself than to him.



*********************



Miles past in silence as the sun slowly dipped down to meet the asphalt, making it appear as if the ground before them was on fire. Buffy slowly drifted towards sleep lulled by the soothing hum of the engine. She felt as if she had just fallen asleep when she was awaken by a loud crash.

Spike put a hand on her shoulder, he could feel her trembling. “It’s ok, pet, it’s just a storm.”

Buffy’s eyes were wild; her breathing heavy, as she quickly scooted to the far side of the seat, clutching her bag to her.

Spike looked troubled at her response. “It’s ok, it’s just me. You were asleep.”

Buffy nodded taking a moment to gather her wits as the rain started to fall in heavy sheets, pounding against the metal roof of the car.

The rain continued to pour as the sun disappeared leaving the road ahead hidden beyond the soft glow of the headlights.

“Are you sure it’s safe to be driving under this?” Buffy asked, her fingers clutching the now cooled leather of the seats.

“It’s fine,” Spike muttered.

“I mean…maybe we should stop a while until it stops?”

Spike sighed. “I’ve lost enough time already. A little rain isn’t going to make me stop.”

“It wouldn’t be for that long. It will probably let up soon.”

“And I said it’s fine,” Spike snapped beginning to get annoyed at her persistence.

“But…how can you even see?”

“Look…I’m not going to stop, now quit yapping in my ear so I can watch the bloody road!” Spike yelled looking towards the blonde.

“Watch out!!!” Buffy squealed pointing towards the road.

The next couple of moments were a blur as the old car skidded off the road. Buffy was thrown forward as Spike tried to regain control of the vehicle.

When the car finally stopped, an irate Spike turned toward the girl. “What the fuck was that about?”

Buffy blinked, opening her mouth but no words would come out. She watched as Spike growled exiting the car and disappearing in the darkness.

Stunned, she sat there for long moments before finally lifting a trembling hand towards the door handle and pushing the heavy door open. The rain was cold, soaking her clothes immediately; the hot desert air had turned frigid.

Buffy squinted towards the direction Spike had disappeared. She saw his shadowy figure pacing back and forth. She could hear him cursing even over the endless beat of the storm that drenched the ground around her.

“S-spike?”

“Go back to the car,” Spike gritted his teeth trying to calm himself.

“Spike, I’m sorry…I…” she forced through chattering teeth.

“Get back in the fucking car!”

Buffy narrowed her eyes at him. “Listen, you idiot, I’m trying to explain what happened back there!”

Spike laughed dryly, waving his arm. “Oh, pllleeeeaase do.”

“There was something in the road. I-I think it was…a dog…”

“Oh! I get it; we nearly killed ourselves because you think you saw a bloody dog.”

“Yeah,” Buffy squared her shoulders, yelling back at him, “I saw a dog or an animal of some kind!”

“Oh and now miss I don’t believe in love, cold fish, is suddenly miss humanitarian of the fucking year.”

Buffy walked up to Spike, slapping him in the face before turning and running back in the direction of the car.

Spike closed his eyes cursing his big mouth before chasing after the blonde. He caught her arm just before she reached the Desoto.

“Buffy…” he said turning her to face him, even through the rain; he could see the tears streaming down her face.

“Don’t you dare pretend to know anything about me. Don’t you dare think…”

Her words were cut short by his lips slamming down on hers. She fought against him for a brief moment before parting her lips allowing his tongue entrance. Their tongues danced as the rain thundered in the darkness that surrounded them.

Spike growled grasping the backs of her thighs and lifting her, he pushed her against the car.

Buffy moaned wrapping her legs around him, feeling his hard length pressing against her. His hands worked their way under her skirt, bunching it up around her waist before tearing her drenched panties off from her body.

Buffy trembled, from both the cold of the rain as well as the heat spreading throughout her body. Her nails clawed at his rain soaked shirt, pulling it from his jeans and over his head.

Lust burned in his eyes as he tugged his jeans open, freeing his hard cock. Her eyes never left his as she braced her hands on his shoulders lifting herself up before lowering herself onto his erection.

Spike grunted as he moved inside of her, every stroke growing more desperate. The rain slowed, the night grew quiet, the only sounds were the small, almost urgent cries of the pair. Two lost souls, not even aware of what they needed and yet finding it all the same.

In a fury of hands, tongues and teeth, they continued rocking against each other, unaware of the world around them.

Spike could feel her pussy tightening around him and realizing she was close, he increased his pace, his body screaming for release, as he wordlessly drove her over the edge.

Buffy bucked against him when her climax slammed through her. Spike’s hands dug into her soft flesh, his body jerking upwards as he growled emptying himself inside of her.

The pair remained motionless, panting and clinging to each other, as if suspended in time. Spike finally released his iron grip on her body, his softening cock slipping out of her as he lowered her to the ground.

Neither one of them said a word. Spike tucked himself in his drenched jeans and took off his sopping shirt, tossing it inside the car.

Buffy spied her torn panties and deciding they were a lost cause; she pulled her skirt down to cover herself and walked to the passenger side of the car.

*********************


The rest of the drive to L.A was made in silence, filled only with sideward glances and awkward sighs. Their clothes had finally dried by the time Spike pulled in front of the bus station. Just as she reached for the door, he spoke.

“Buffy…”

She closed her eyes briefly, trying to ignore the intimate tone of his voice. “Don’t. Just…good luck, Spike, and thank you, for everything.”

Their eyes met in mute understanding, he nodded watching as the blonde girl climbed from the car.

Leaning back in, she offered him a small knowing smile. “If you’re ever in Sunnydale, look me up.” She smirked before turning and walking towards the ticket counter.

Spike pulled away, his eyes never leaving the rear view mirror. He sighed, somehow knowing, his life would never be the same again.