Buffy swept a pile of ashes into the dustpan with a sigh. She knew Riley was upset with her. The group had all refused to clean up the mess and even decided not to even bother going back to class. And when she insisted on staying and cleaning up, Riley had argued with her.

“Riley, I can’t have a call home about this. My mom isn’t like your parents,” she explained.

“So what? You’re just going to give in to him?” he’d asked.

“It’s not a big deal, Riley; I’ll catch up with you later.”


She knew he wasn’t happy about it and had hoped he would offer to stay and help her, but instead he had huffed in disgust as he turned and walked out the door, following his friends.

“You here all by yourself?” she heard someone ask.

She knew it was Dr. Marsters before she even turned around and a chill ran down her spine. There was no denying she was intimidated by him.

“I-it’s fine. I don’t mind.”

She was surprised when he wordlessly walked over, grabbed a broom and started helping her. Buffy stopped what she was doing to look up at him, confused.

“You gonna just stand there with your mouth hanging open or are we gonna clean this mess up?” He smirked.

Buffy smiled nodding and slowly returned to sweeping. When they finished scooping the last bit of ashes into the garbage can, the pair stood in silence for a moment.

“Um…thank you, Dr. Marsters,” she said lowering her eyes, not able to face him.

“It’s fine, Pe…Buffy. There’s no reason you should have been in here cleaning up alone. Just don’ tell anyone, I have a reputation to protect, you know?” he chuckled.

Buffy glanced up noticing how he again looked like the man she’d met the first day of school. His eyes seemed softer than before and she couldn’t help but notice his rugged good looks. When he lifted a scarred eyebrow, Buffy blushed as realized she’d been caught staring.

“I-I should get back to class,” she mumbled nearly tripping over the trashcan as she rushed out of the cafeteria.

Spike couldn’t wipe the smile off of his face as he watched the small, flustered blonde hurry from the room. He wondered what a girl like that was doing with a ponce like Finn. And again had to remind himself that it was not his concern; she was just one of his students.


********************



Buffy walked through the front door surprised to see her mother home.

“Hi, honey, how was school?” Joyce Summers greeted her daughter with a smile.

“It was ok, “Buffy sighed placing her books on the table and heading towards the kitchen.

Her mother followed her. “Didn’t Riley drive you home today?”

“Oh…no, he had a…uh…doctor’s appointment, so he left class early.” Buffy avoided her mother’s eyes as she grabbed a bottle of water from the refrigerator.

“Is he alright?” Joyce asked, concerned.

“Sure, just a check up,”

“So, I hear you have a new principal this year.” Joyce smiled at her daughter.

Buffy had just taken a sip of water and nearly spit it out. The last thing she wanted to talk to her mother about right now was Dr. Marsters. Especially after the awkward moment in the cafeteria.

“Yeah, listen, mom, I need to go shower, I’m meeting Riley at the Bronze later.”



**********************


Buffy sat silently at the Bronze as the others talked and laughed as if nothing had happened. Riley had been quiet all night, she could tell he still was more than a little annoyed at her unwillingness to just walk away from the mess in the cafeteria.

“So, do you want to dance?” she asked trying to paint on her best smile.

“No,” he answered quickly not even looking her way.

“Well, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I can’t wait to see the look on old Dr. Marsters’ face when my dad goes to see him on Monday,” Angel said.

“It’s about time someone let him in on how things are done around here and with my parents still in Europe, I’m glad your dad is going to set him straight,” Riley answered.

“Do you really think he will just change how he is acting just because your dad talks to him?” Buffy asked.

Riley let out a disgusted sigh. “Buffy, how many times do I have to tell you, that school is ours. He can’t just come in and think he can change things.”

“Yeah, but he just doesn’t seem like…I don’t know, he just seems different then Snyder.” Buffy sighed dejectedly.

“He sure is. I bet he could give me many great orgasms,” Anya added.

“Ew, he is like…old,” Cordelia scoffed.

“He may be old, but I would do him,” Harmony gushed.

“And that makes him special how?” Parker rolled his eyes.

Buffy felt oddly disturbed by the turn the conversation was taking. She was almost relieved when Angel stepped in.

“No matter how different he seems, I guarantee in the end, he’ll fall in line just like the rest of them.”


********************

Spike squinted as he looked over the folders before him, finally cursing and grabbing his glasses from his desk drawer. He wasn’t surprised to see there wasn’t a single reprimand, a single bad mark in any of the files. It appeared as if these kids had gone their entire life being sheltered from all types of consequences to their actions.

“Dr. Marsters, there is a Mr. Angelus here to see you,” his secretary, Mary, announced through his office intercom.

Spike smirked, placing the files back into the cabinet before rising from his chair, muttering, this should be interesting.

When he opened his office door he was greeted by a large man, who appeared to be in his late forties. His hair was dark, slightly graying on the sides and he immediately recognized the dark eyes and large forehead. He was dressed in an expensive business suit and his whole attitude reeked of a mix of power and condescension. Spike took an immediate dislike to the man before him.

“Mr. Marsters, I’m Liam Angelus Sr.” He smiled offering a well manicured hand.

“It’s Dr. Marsters and I’m aware who you are. What can I do for you?” Spike replied smugly ignoring the extended hand and gesturing towards one of the large leather chairs in front of his desk.

Spike could see a flash of anger pass through the man’s eyes as he reluctantly took a seat. He crossed his arms leaning against his large mahogany desk and waited for the man before him to speak.

“Dr. Marsters, there appears to be some kind of misunderstanding in regards to my son, Liam. Something about a paper that needed my signature?”

Spike raised a scarred eyebrow. “It was a student code of conduct,” he corrected.

“Yes, well, it appears Liam has misplaced it. And because of this he has been threatened with detention. As a result he could miss football practice and as I’m sure you know Sunnydale High was the all state football champion last year. We take our football very seriously.” The large man chuckled.

Spike narrowed his eyes. “Your son didn’t misplace his handbook, he burned it, on school property I might add.”

“That is an awfully powerful accusation, Dr. Marsters; do you have any proof of this?” Mr. Angelus asked, the challenge apparent in his voice.

Spike clenched his jaw trying to remain calm. “If I had any proof, your son wouldn’t be getting some soddin’ detention, he would be escorted off school property permanently. And to be completely honest with you, I don’t care much about your bloody football. I’m here to ensure that the students of Sunnydale High get an education, period.”

“I understand that and I have great respect for your position, however, I hope you can understand that I won’t set idly by and allow my son’s future to be compromised, by anyone.” Mr. Angelus said rising from his chair, his voice taking on an authoritative tone.

Spike stood facing the larger man. “I’m here to tell you, Mr. Angelus, your son will be held up to the same standards as every other student in this school. No more. No less. I’m not Snyder. I won’t cower to your bloody threats. You may be some big, important fish in this small Sunnydale pond but you’re no one to me. This is my school to run as I see fit. Now if you will excuse me, I have a lot of work to do,” he said, turning and walking around his desk to take his seat, obviously dismissing the other man as he did.

Liam Angelus stood for a long moment; fists clenched seething as Dr. Marsters’ attention went back to the paperwork before him. When he finally turned toward the door, Spike finally spoke.

“Oh and Mr. Angelus, next time, make an appointment,” he said never once looking up.