Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the update so late RL has been rough. thanks to chocoholicgirl03 as usual.
"Guys, I'm gonna go now. My Mom is probably waiting up for me. I don't want her wigging out so soon. I'll see you guys tomorrow at the Majick Box so Giles can be updated with all of this. Cordy you're suppose to meet your mentor there." Buffy said as she walked away.

Angel caught up to her, grabbing her arm firmly. "Buffy I'll walk you home. It's too dangerous for you to be out alone. You'd be tempting any fledgling vampire or demon out there."

Buffy jerked her arm away, glaring at him. "I don't need you to walk me home. I CAN take care of myself. I am the Slayer. Or do I need to show you?" She smirked, holding up her favorite stake. "If you want to help, walk someone home who is little more normal." Buffy said as she stalked off.

Angel brooded as she stalked off. He left the opposite way, not looking at the rest of the group.

"Well, I guess we are not normal enough for him." Cordy said with a smirk then looked at the rest.. "I guess we should walk together. If anything should come up to us, Tara, you take care of it like you did Angel. Just pretend they're him."

With that the group laughed and walk home together.

As Buffy was walking home she was mumbled to herself about idiot vampires and stupid boys. She was too wrapped up in her own thoughts to know she was being follow by Spike.

He followed the Slayer from a safe distance, wondering why he wasn't attacking this Slayer, and why Dru was freaked out by the petite blonde, babbling that she was taking her Daddy away. Spike paused, head cocked slightly. Wait a minute... hold on what was that smell?.... He took a whiff of the night air, growling faintly. Angel! Angel was somehow connected to the Slayer. He realized he was growling. Before he could stop, Buffy stopped and turned around staring right at him breathing heavily with desire in her eyes.

Buffy bit her lip, eyes locked on the vampire. Why the hell was she staring at him and not staking him?! Ok, yeah, sure, he was hot, if you liked the whole bleached hair, black clothes and black nail polish goth thing, which was SO over. But there was something in his eyes. Those eyes that were an intense blue, but kept flickering to amber. He didn't change, just his eyes. She was frozen like a deer caught in the headlights, half her brain screaming at her to stake him, half telling her to run for it, and another half telling her to get closer. Wait, there couldn't be three halves. Great, like she didn't have enough trouble with math anyway.

Spike watched the Slayer intently. So, she was struggling with this as much as he was. Carefully he moved one step closer at a time, keeping his demon tightly reined in and his hands up. "Just want a word. That's all. Don't mean any harm luv."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Yeah. And I'm freakin' Mary Poppins. You, vampire, me, Slayer. Why should I believe you?" She tossed her hair over her shoulder.

Spike chuckled faintly, hoping she didn't notice the way his hands shook as he lit a cigarette. "Simple, pet, 'cause I happen to hate Angel as much as you do."

"How do you know Angel?" She asked, moving a step closer, stake still tightly held in her hand.

Spike rolled his eyes, blowing out a stream of smoke. "Bloody bastard's my Grandsire. An' my sire slash girlfriend's more in love with him than me and I'm the one who's always takin' care of her." Slowly he moved another step closer to her.

"Geez, issues, much?" Buffy snorted, matching his step forward with one of her own.

Chuckling bitterly, Spike nodded. "As far as he's concerned, yeah, just a few. So, why're you hangin' around with him?"

Rolling her eyes Buffy snorted. "He's like a freakin' leech! I can't get him to understand the concept of get the hell out of my life, like I need your help! And he's always acting like I can't do anything myself. I mean come on, I'm the SLAYER! I can and will kick his ass at the drop of a hat. He's just so, so..... Arrrrrggghhh!!" She threw her hands up in the air.

Spike laughed, nodding. "That'd sum him up. He's a bloody pain in th' ass. More annoying than ever with his soul. All high an' mighty."

"Exactly!!" Buffy added. "Like you're incompetent and he's doing you a favor by doing everything for you."

"With the not so subtle underlying insult that you're too bloody stupid an' incompetent to do it on your own." Spike smirked.

Buffy nodded with a smile, close enough to reach out and touch him if she wanted. It was weird, he wasn't trying to kill her. Unless this was all some elaborate plan. And he didn't seem the sort to make out elaborate plans. "He's so stuck on himself. And what's up with his hair. Like it does anything to hide that giant forehead?!"

Spike snorted. "Thinks it makes him look smarter, or somthin'. Just think it makes him look like a Poofter?" Lips twitching in a smile at Buffy's confused look, he clarified. "Gay...."

Buffy laughed. "Oh my God! I never thought of it, but TOTALLY!!"

Nodding Spike smiled slightly. "Right then. Since we're not killin' each other, how about I walk you home? We can insult Angel more."

Buffy nodded slowly. "Ok. I guess. Truce. For tonight. Unless you try to kill me or some other innocent human. Then, all bets are off."

Spike nodded, walking beside her. "Fair enough pet. Fair enough.."

As Buffy and Spike walked, shoulders almost touching, they kept bashing Angel. Spike couldn't help but realize how comfortable he was walking next to her and how much he was enjoying talking to her. "So luv, why is the Poofter hanging out with you?"

Buffy rolled her eyes, throwing her hands up in the air with a sound of disgust. "Oh my God! He thinks he is destined to be my mate! As if! I mean, come on, I can't stand being in the same room with him! If I had to spend eternity with him, I sooner let a Ornias demon have me as his mate 'cause hello they are the harassing demon. " Buffy stated, kicking a rock down the street, wishing it was Angel's head or other parts of his anatomy.

As Buffy mentioned that Angel though he was meant to be her mate, Spike let out a possessive growl. Both of them stopped walking, staring at each other in shock. Both of them were stunned not only by his growl, but Buffy was seeing red with jealousy after hearing about Spike's girlfriend. It really pissed her off that he would stay with her when it was obvious she did't really love him.

Spike was the first to recover, backing up a half step an not ready to really think about why he'd reacted like he did. "Right. Well. Angel's a tricky bastard. Slick as they come. Won't stop at anything to get what he wants. May have a soul now, but that doesn't it makes him a nice person. Not by a long shot."

Buffy nodded slowly. "Yeah, kinda figured that. Don't trust him as far as I can throw him. I've got a friend, sorta like a mentor, she's a demon, kinda like psychic or something. She'll have the heads up on him if he's thinking of doing something rotten."

"That's good, pet, that's good. I know him like the back of my hand. I can tell you if he's up to something too." Spike murmured, walking up to the front door with her.. "Don't invite him in. For any reason. Tell your family th' same."

"Mom's met him, sorta, knows what he looks like. She's so NOT his biggest fan. The whole finding out I'm a Slayer and vampires and demons and stuff are real has been a little much for her to handle, but she's tough. She won't have any trouble not letting him in." Buffy smirked.

Spike chuckled deeply. "Your Mum sounds like a right good sort of bird if you ask me..."

Joyce smiled from the doorway. "Well, thank you for the compliment, I think...."

Buffy laughed, sliding an arm around her. "Hey Mom. This is Spike. He knows Angel, but he hates his guts as much as we do."

"Well then, why don't you come in and have a cup of cocoa with me and Buffy. You can tell me some things I can do to help my daughter." Joyce smiled, hugging Buffy.

Spike smiled nodding slightly. "Thanks for th' offer.... You wouldn't happen t' have any of those little marshmallows, would you?"

Leading them in, Joyce nodded. "Of course! Cocoa isn't cocoa without little marshmallows melting on top."

Grinning, Spike settled into a chair in the kitchen. "I was right. You're a good sort. Like your daughter."


Chapter End Notes:
please review they are welcomed