Author's Chapter Notes:
From now on, I'll try to keep updating this story on Sundays and Healing on Thursdays. Thank you so much for all your reviews! And thank you Tammy for betaing!
8



“Buffy, wait up!”

Buffy stopped at the sound of Xander’s voice and turned around, giving her friend a questioning look as he came running towards her. “Hi, Xander. What’s up?” She smiled, although it came out a bit strained, and glanced at her watch, realizing she was already late. Holding back a sigh, she hoped William wouldn’t mind waiting a few more minutes.

“I just…” Xander stopped; panting for a moment, then gave her a goofy grin. “Just wanted to ask you if you wanted to meet up at the Bronze later tonight. Willow couldn’t make it, but I thought we could…”

“Sorry, Xander, I really can’t.” Buffy interrupted him, trying not to let her impatience show. “I told you at lunch, remember? I’m studying with William tonight.”

“Oh.” Xander’s smile disappeared. “You didn’t hear, then?”

Buffy had no idea what he was talking about. “Hear what?”

“Oh, boy…” Xander sighed. “How can you not have heard? It’s all over school.”

“Well, it’s not like anybody here actually bothers to talk to me,” Buffy snapped. “What’s all over school?”

“Um…” Xander hesitated. “Apparently, William got into this huge fight with Liam Angelus and got sent to the Principal’s office. Rumors say he got expelled.”

“What?!” Buffy stared at him in shock. “When did this happen? Is he okay?”

“Liam?” Xander frowned. “Well, except from a possible broken nose…”

“William!” She glared at him.

“Right!” Xander let out a nervous laugh. “No idea.” Seeing the look on Buffy’s face, he hurried to add; “I’m sure he’s just fine, though. So, about tonight…”

“Hey, guys!” Willow came up behind them. Her smile faltered a little when she saw Buffy’s expression. “What’s wrong?”

“Willow!” Buffy had never been more relieved to see the red-head in her life. “Thank God, you have to help me. I need to find William…”

“So, you heard?” Willow grimaced. “Personally, I’m sure Liam had it coming. It was totally unfair how…”

“You knew, too?!” Buffy rolled her eyes. “Never mind. Willow, please tell me you know where William lives?”

Her friend gave her an apologetic look. “I don’t. Sorry.”

Buffy looked at her in disbelief. “But you’ve lived in Sunnydale all your life!”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean…” Willow hesitated. “I don’t really know him, Buffy. It’s not like we’re friends or anything.” Buffy let out a sigh and turned around to leave. “Wait!” Willow grabbed her arm to stop her. “I don’t know where William lives, but I know someone who does.”


*~*~*


“William? Is that you?”

William sighed, closing the front door behind him. He had hoped to be able to sneak into the house without his mother noticing, but naturally, there was no such luck. Taking a deep breath, he slowly walked into the living room, bracing himself for what he know was about to come. He found his mother lying on the couch, a blanket draped over her legs. “Hey, Mum.”

Struggling to sit up, Anne Pratt gave her son a disapproving look. “I got a most unpleasant phone call from your principal. Care to explain to me how you managed to get expelled for the next three days?”

Sighing again, William slumped down into a chair. “If you talked to Principal Snyder, you already know what happened.” He paused, lowering his voice as he muttered; “His version of it, anyway.”

“I’d like to hear it from you.” Anne crossed her arms over her chest. “Is it true that you punched another boy in the face?”

William rolled his eyes. “Yes. But…”

“William…!” Anne started coughing. Gasping for air, she took a small sip of water from a glass standing on the table next to the couch. Ignoring William’s worried look, she went on as soon as she could speak again; “In case you hadn’t noticed, William, I am not well. I have enough to worry about as it is; I don’t need any more trouble from you.” She drank some more water. “Why are you doing this? It’s the same thing almost every day; you always come home with bruises or a black eye, but I want it to end, now. I thought I had raised you better than that. No more fighting, do you hear me?”

Swallowing, William nodded. “Yes, Mum.”

Anne sighed. “Just go to your room.”

William opened his mouth to object, then decided against it and left the room. A part of him wanted to tell his mother the real reason behind the fight with Liam, but he just couldn’t get the words out. The truth was, he was ashamed. He knew his mother considered him a troublemaker, mostly because that was what he had led her to believe. He didn’t want her to find out how the other kids used to pick on him all the time, how he didn’t have any friends at all. Partly because he didn’t want her to worry about him, but also because he didn’t want her pity. Not to mention the fact that she would probably be disappointed in him.

Now he remembered that he was supposed to meet up with Buffy after school, so they could start working on the history project. She was probably waiting for him right now, and there was nothing he could do about it. He didn’t have her number, and it wasn’t like he could go back. And by the time he was allowed back in school, Buffy would probably be furious at him for standing her up without an explanation. Sighing miserably, William stepped into his room and closed the door quietly behind him.


*~*~*


“Excuse me, Mr Giles?” Buffy walked up to the librarian, a polite smile on her face.

The man looked up from the pile of books he was stacking on one of the large shelves and returned her smile. “Miss Summers. What can I do for you?”

“Actually…” Buffy hesitated. “I was told you might be able to help me. Mr Giles, I…”

“Please, just call me Giles,” Giles insisted, still smiling.

“Oh, okay.” Buffy wasn’t sure how she felt about that; she wasn’t used to addressing a teacher without their title. Still, the man seemed nice, she already liked him. She cleared her throat, although she didn’t know exactly how to go on.

Luckily, Giles beat her to it. “I saw you in here earlier today, with William. Do you have classes together?”

“Um, yes.” Buffy nodded. “We’re doing a project together.”

“Ah, that’s nice.” Removing his glasses, Giles started cleaning them with the edge of his shirt. “Did he tell you I’m his uncle?”

“No, but Willow did.” Buffy glanced around the library, realizing it was almost empty, just like before. For some reason, she got the feeling people didn’t come in here much. Or if they did, they didn’t seem to stick around after they had found what they’d been looking for. “Actually, that’s why I’m here. I was wondering if you could give me William’s address. I need to go see him.”

Giles hesitated for a moment, then nodded. “I see. Of course.” He paused, not missing the obvious relief on Buffy’s face. “Let me write the address down for you.” He hurried over to the counter. A moment later, he handed her a small piece of paper, which Buffy gratefully accepted. It was time to go see William.


TBC