Author's Chapter Notes:
You all seem to be handling the angst pretty well. ;)

I hope you like this next chapter-it's still angsty but it's on the long side and it is one of my favorites. Let me know what you think.
When Buffy realized that William wasn’t in school the next day she got worried. She tracked down Willow. “Look I know that you’re William’s friend and not really mine, and if he’s just avoiding me…but I’m getting really worried. He didn’t answer the phone last night and it’s just not like him to skip…”

Willow held up her hands. “Buffy, I don’t know anything. If I did, I would tell you. He didn’t answer when I called either.”

Buffy frowned.

Willow gave her arm a sympathetic squeeze. “If I see him I’ll make sure to let you know.”

Buffy nodded. “Thanks Willow. If you do see him would you tell him…tell him…”

Willow waited patiently.

“I guess just tell him that I’d really like to see him.”

Willow nodded. She was going to tell him a few other things she’d learned too.
******************************************************************

Buffy hung up the phone and gave a groan of frustration; still no answer. It was Wednesday evening and she hadn’t seen him or spoken to him since Monday morning when he’d stormed out. She tried stopping by his house and she’d called a half a dozen times but nothing. It was like he’d dropped off the planet. She was just deciding to ask her mom for Anne’s cell phone number when she heard the knocking on her front door. She walked over distractedly and couldn’t have been more surprised when she found William on the other side.

“William!” She just starred at him in shock for a moment “Where have you…” She trailed off as she realized how bad he looked. His eyes were bloodshot, his hair and clothes were rumpled and he was holding the doorframe like he couldn’t stand without it. “William what happened?”

William didn’t answer. “Buffy. Please Buffy. Don’t be mad anymore. I…I can’t lose you too…gonna be all…all alone…can’t lose any…I need you Buffy please I’m a git, a right ponce.” He swayed slightly as he spoke.

Buffy’s eyes widened. “William are you drunk? What happened? William?”

“Can’t lose you. Please Buffy!”

Buffy shook her head and reached over to help him in. “You’re not going to, come on come in.” She led him over to the couch and was quickly able to answer one of her questions, yes; he’d definitely been drinking. William reeked of alcohol. “William what have you been drinking? Please tell me what’s going on; let me help.”

He looked at her with watery eyes. “So good, always so good...I’m so sorry pet, please”

Buffy sat down next to him. “William.” She cupped the sides of his face with her hands. “I’m not mad. I’m not going anywhere.” She smiled. “You’re stuck with me.”

He gave her a wobbly smile.

“William, why are you drinking? You never drink.”

“Makes things all numb” He frowned. “Only not.” He shook his head exaggeratedly. “Didn’t work.”

Buffy nodded. “Why did you want to be numb? William, what’s going on?” She watched in horror as he started to cry.

William curled into himself and shook with nearly silent sobs.

Buffy rose up to kneel on the couch next to him and wrapped her arms around him. She stopped asking questions and simply held him until he grew still. When he did she gave him a tight squeeze and then leaned back slightly leaving one hand on his shoulder. “William.” She said his name gently. “Please sweetheart.”

He shook his head. “Not your sweetheart.”

Buffy sighed sadly. “Ok” she nodded “but friends right? I’m your friend and I want to help.”

“I’m gonna lose her and you too and then it’s just me.”

Buffy frowned. “Who William? Who are you going to lose?” Her eyes widened. “William. William look at me.”

He raised his head slowly and turned to meet her eyes.

“William did something happen with your mom? Is that it?”

His eyes glazed over as though he was focused on a spot far away and he nodded slowly.

“What…what happened, William? Is she…”

“She’s gonna die Buffy. The cancer took so much out of her last time. She won’t be able to fight it again.”

Buffy gasped. “Oh William!” She wrapped her arms back around him.

William hesitated only a moment before reaching over to wrap his arms around her as well. He pulled her closer roughly and buried his face against her neck.

Buffy knew he was crying again even though he wasn’t making a sound. She could feel his hot tears on her shoulder. She wanted to cry too, but forced herself to hold it together for his sake. She waited until his hold on her loosened to ask anything else. “William, where’s your mom now?”

“Hospital.”

Buffy nodded. “Is that where you’ve been that past few days?”

“Made me leave.”

“Who made you leave?” When he didn’t answer she tried again. “William who made you leave? A doctor or…”

“My mum, said I shouldn’t be there.” He looked up and met her eyes suddenly. “She didn’t want me there.”

Buffy shook her head. “No, I’m sure that’s not true. She was probably just worried about you.”

William shrugged.

“We’ll go back in the morning ok. Your mom’s strong; she’ll fight it and you’ll help her right?”

William nodded. “I have to go help her. I have to.” He stood up and swayed in place for a moment before starting towards the door.

“Whoa.” Buffy stood up and firmly grasped his arm. “Where are you going?”

“Got to go to the hospital and help my mum, pet; she needs me.”

Buffy nodded. “She does. William she needs you to help her be strong.”

“Gonna do that.”

Buffy nodded. “Yes. In the morning, after you’ve showered and when you don’t stink of booze. You can’t even walk straight right now. You’re not going anywhere.” She led him awkwardly towards the stairs.

“But I have…”

“William, you have to get some rest. You go there right now they won’t even let you in to see her. She’s resting now and once you get some rest you can go see her.”

Buffy carefully maneuvered William into her room and towards her bed.

When he saw that she meant for him to lie down on her bed he shook his head. “Can’t”

Buffy sighed again but gave a gentle laugh too. “I’m not going to ravish you William. I just want you to rest.” She gave him a gentle shove and he moved to sit on the edge of her bed. “I’m going to get you some water. Do you think you could handle some food?”

William looked a bit green as he shook his head no.

He was still perched somewhat stiffly on the edge of her mattress when Buffy returned with the water. She handed it to him and watched as he took a few tentative sips.

“Tastes funny.”

“Maybe cause whatever you were drinking before burned your taste buds off.” Buffy offered.

William shook his head. “Whiskey…puts hair on your chest.” He looked down at himself curiously.

Buffy felt a small giggle escape. “William, are you wondering if the whiskey gave you chest hair?”

He looked up at her sheepishly for a moment before remembering to shake his head in denial.

Buffy laughed softly again and then reached over press the water glass closer. “Drink some more.” She walked out of the room and returned a moment later with a couple of Motrin. She handed them to him. “I’ve heard that it helps to take the aspirin the night before the hangover.”

Once he’d taken them, she took the glass from him and placed it on the nightstand. She knelt on the floor next to him and went to work removing his boots.

The sight of her on her knees before him was a bit too much like one of his more graphic fantasies. William jumped slightly. “Pet! No.” He reached down to try and push her away.

Buffy swatted his hands. “Relax William; I’m not going to do anything to your feet. Geesh.” She pulled off his boots, stood up and pressed firmly on his shoulders. “Now. Lie down and get some rest.”
************************************************************
An hour and forty-five minutes later Buffy was exhausted. She sat against the headboard and watched as William finally slept with his head in her lap. He’d started crying again and then he’d thrown up and twice he’d tried to leave for the hospital. She gently ran her hand through the hair near his temple. She’d had to promise that he’d never lose her and he’d never be alone to get him to rest. She meant it, she thought while looking down at his finally peaceful face; she wouldn’t ever leave him.

Buffy didn’t hear her mom come in or up the stairs, she was startled to find her standing in her door way.

“Buffy!”

Buffy quickly gave her mom a gesture to be quiet and a pleading looking. She gently lifted William’s head and, scooting off the bed, placed it on her pillow. She walked over to her mom.

“Buffy, what is that boy doing in your bed?”

“Shh Mom, please. He only just fell asleep and...and I don’t think he has in a couple of days and…” Buffy started to cry. With someone else there to be strong, she finally reacted to the events of the evening.

Joyce reached over and gave her daughter a hug. “Sweetie, what’s going on?”

Buffy quickly filled her in with as much information as she knew.

“Oh no. Oh Anne.” Joyce looked back over at the young man sleeping on her daughter’s pink blankets and shook her head. “Oh the poor baby.”

“Mom, do you…do you think that she’ll die?”

Joyce squeezed her again. “I don’t know sweetie. She’s a strong woman; she won’t go without a fight.”

Buffy nodded and sniffled. “That’s what I told William.”

“Good sweetie. You did good. I’ll give the hospital a call and have them let Anne know that he’s here and that he’ll be staying with us while she’s there. She’s…probably worried sick." She looked back at William and then back at Buffy. “Why don’t you take the guest room and let him stay where he is tonight. He can get his stuff and move in there tomorrow?”

Buffy shook her head. “No Mom; I can’t leave him alone. I promised. He was such a mess, he kept trying to leave and he couldn’t even walk straight. I can’t…”

“Couldn’t walk…was he drunk?”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “Oh. Please don’t be mad at him. He never drinks, not normally. He…”

Joyce put up her hands to stop her daughter’s words. “I’m not mad honey. I’m just worried about him.”

“I am too Mom. I can’t just leave him alone.”

Joyce sighed and gave her daughter a considering look. The thought of her daughter sharing a bed with a man for any reason didn’t thrill her, but she also recognized the situation as a unique one. She nodded slowly. “Tonight. Tomorrow he goes in the guest room.”

Buffy nodded and gave her mother a final hug. She went back in her room and slowly closed the door. She walked back over to the bed and picked up the blanket folded up at the foot of the bed. She shook it out and gently covered William before sliding on to the bed to lie next to him.

She lied there stiffly for a few minutes, unsure of whether or not it would be all right for her to touch him. After a useless inner debate, she slid a little closer and tentatively put her hand on his chest. He made a small noise and Buffy quickly pulled her hand back.

She was about to scoot further away when he reached for her. Still asleep, William reached out and tugged her closer. He tucked her head against his chest, wrapped his arms around her tightly and sighed contently.

Buffy rubbed her check against his chest and soon fell asleep.


Chapter End Notes:
Don't forget to review!!!