Author's Chapter Notes:
Well first of all I love Kristi for being an excllent beta and agreeing to read my story. Also thanks to Sotia, Kristi, and Sarah for finding my muse and returning her to me. And thank you to everyone who was reading this before, some things have changed so I hope you still like it.
Prologue:

The problem with having friends is they think they know best. They don’t, at least not always. Take me for instance, I listened to my friends and it almost cost me the one person in this world that I have ever truly loved. I guess I should explain that statement, shouldn’t I. It all started when I confessed to my best friend that I was in love with a vampire. See, I thought that she would be all understanding like I was when she told me she was gay. Face to face she was, but then she went to my watcher and when he wouldn’t help she decided that she should do something about it with the help of my so called friends. What did they do you ask? That’s what I plan to tell you now.

Chapter one:

Giles was surprised when Willow, who always knocked, came barging into his flat completely out of breath. “Giles,” she panted, “I’m telling you we have to do something. She wants to go out with Spike, she didn’t even give Riley a chance. It has to be because of the spell that I did when Oz left. She hated Spike up until then, and now she’s been taking him on patrol instead of us, and …”

Giles gave a big sigh. ‘I saw this coming‘, he thought to himself. He decided to interrupt her before she started to turn blue.

“Yes, Willow, I am aware of Buffy’s slaying habits, however you have to admit that Spike is more useful in a fight than any of us. I’m not saying that I condone a relationship between them, but I think as long as we talk to her she will make the right decision.” He did not want to even think about what Buffy would say if she heard her friend talking like this. He saw a look in the young girl’s eyes that he had never seen before, it looked like deception. She was a horrible liar.

“Maybe you’re right, Giles, I’ll just talk to her. Thanks, I really needed to talk to someone about this.” Willow got up to leave thinking, ‘if he won’t help me I know Tara and Xander will.’

‘That was too easy,’ he thought to himself and as he watched the young witch walk out the door. He’d wondered if he was crazy for thinking about warning Buffy that Willow might cause a fuss. ‘All I really want is for her to be happy,’ he thought to himself, ‘and she has been more happy with Spike than I have ever seen her.’ He went to his liquor cabinet and poured himself a shot; as he drank he realized it was time to share his fears about Willow with Buffy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What am I doing here?” Buffy wondered aloud to herself as she stared at the door to Spike’s crypt. “I must be going insane.” She was so focused on the door that she didn’t hear Spike walk up.

“Well, pet, I do believe that talking to yourself is a sign of insanity.” Buffy spun around and looked into his mocking blue eyes and immediately went on the defensive and snarked, “Well you would know, you lived with the insane for how long?” She immediately regretted her word when she saw the pain in his eyes.

“Ahh, I see we’ve come for another round of kick the Spike. That’s nice, but I thought we were past that, luv.” Buffy looked at her feet and knew she would have to apologize to him.

“You’re right, Spike, I didn’t come here to fight.” Spike was speechless but it was oh too briefly before he opened his big mouth. “I’m sorry, what did you say?” He couldn’t believe it, the slayer just apologized to him. “Who are you and what did you do with the slayer?” He knew it was the wrong thing to say as soon as her eyes narrowed.

“Well, I did feel sorry, but you know what? This was a mistake.” She turned to walk away wondering what she had been thinking. “Stupid spell, with its stupid making me think I like that vampire,” she muttered to herself as she walked away from him.

Spike just stared after her, wondering what had just happened. He shrugged his shoulders and kicked himself for causing another fight when she had tried to apologize.

“Stupid slayers thinking that they’re better than everyone,” he muttered as he walked inside to get himself a beer. He took two swigs when he realized what she had been muttering to herself as she had walked away.

“So the slayer has a thing for the big bad, does she?” His smile got real wide, “Well isn’t that just neat.”

He left his crypt and went to talk to Joyce. If anyone knew how to handle Buffy, it would be her mother. He knocked on the Summers’ door and when Joyce answered, she smiled when she saw who it was.

“You know, I think you are the only person who knocks on this door, Spike, everyone else just comes right in. Come on and I’ll get the hot cocoa ready.”

Joyce like Spike, she had seen right through that bad boy exterior and right into the man that he was. He had stopped by to see how she was faring without Buffy in the house and realized how lonely the woman was and decided that as long as there was cocoa in it for him he would come and visit and talk about things with her. Since that day, he always came by to tell her about what monsters Buffy fought and to give advice about some things in her gallery. Joyce wondered what brought him by today as she heated up her special hot chocolate that he seemed to love. Spike threw his duster over the banister and sat down on the couch, knowing that Joyce would get upset if he tried to help. The last time he tried she had told him that as a guest all he had to do was sit and talk to her.

Joyce walked in with their chocolaty treat and gave Spike the one with the little marshmallows that she’d bought just for him.

“So, Spike, what brings you to my door? Aren’t you usually patrolling with Buffy at this time?” She looked at him with concern. “She didn’t do anything that I would have to yell at her for, did she? I mean I thought you were getting along now.”

She wished that her daughter would see the man behind the “monster,” as Buffy had once put it. She knew that Spike liked Buffy and she had finally realized that Buffy’s normal was not what she had planned for her daughter. However, with Spike at least her daughter might have a chance to be happy and live for much longer than any other slayer.

“Well, here’s the thing, Joyce…….”