Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks goes out to Kristi who is the best beta I have ever worked with. She puts up with all the "does this sound right" questions. Thanks also goes to Lou, jamies_lady, kw, Tuesday, cordykitten, and Sotia for their wonderfull comments. Please let me know what you think.
“Mom, are you here?” Buffy was beginning to wonder if she had for some reason dreamed the phone call that morning. All the exterior gallery lights were off, so she let herself in, only to find no one in the building. She figured that her mom had told an earlier time so she wouldn’t be late. She was walking towards the office to call her mother when she heard soft classical music coming from one of the exhibit rooms.

“Mom, is that….” Buffy was struck speechless at the sight before her. Spike was standing in front of a beautiful table set for two. That wasn’t the only thing: Spike, the big bad himself, was standing there in a dark blue suit that set off his eyes. His hair was in softly gelled curls that she wanted to touch to see if they were as soft as they looked. “Spike,” his name came from her mouth like a prayer, “what’s going on?”

Spike was just as speechless looking at her. ‘A golden goddess she is.’ Buffy’s dress was a dark blue that was almost black in the candlelight. Her hair was pulled away from her face, except for some strands that were lying against her neck like an invitation. He swallowed heavily, his eyes traveling back up to meet her gaze. Judging from her expression, he was taking too long to answer.

“Sorry, pet, what did you say?” He gulped and tried not to confess his feelings right then and there to the goddess standing before him.

“I said,” she explained in exasperation, “what is going on? I thought there was a showing for some special clients who…” Buffy trailed off when she realized what had happened.

“Now, pet, don’t go getting mad at your mum for helping me out. I just wanted to take you out for a night on the town and make you feel as special as I think you deserve. Please say you’ll have dinner with me.” He fidgeted while he waited for her answer, wondering if this was a good idea after all.

Buffy didn’t know what to say. This was more than anyone had ever done for her. She knew she was in trouble when she caught sight of him fidgeting, knowing he thought she was going to reject him. She said the only thing she could, which surprised them both. “Sure, Spike, I’ll have dinner with you.”

“You will? I mean I’ll go get the food, you just have a seat and enjoy the music.” He looked so cute as her helped her into her chair before rushing into the other room where all the food was stored. She was beginning to question, yet again, if the Council was wrong about demons. Here was a soulless vampire trying to make her feel special when her friends were always getting her to fix their problems. ‘I’ll give him a chance,’ she thought, ‘who knows, maybe my feelings were right and we can have a real relationship after all.’

Her thoughts were interrupted by Spike bringing back the food. It was Chicken Kiev with angel hair pasta, her favorite. “Did Mom tell you about this too?” she questioned him. When Buffy’s dad was around this was their special family meal.

“Joyce may have mentioned how happy you were with your family and even though I’m not your family I hope you are just as happy tonight.” He grimaced when he realized what he had said. ‘That’s it you wanker just pour your soddin’ heart out so she can laugh at you. Just like all the rest of them.’

“That’s sweet, Spike, no one has ever put me first since I was called. It’s always, “Buffy save the world,” or, “Buffy kill the demon.” Buffy took a bite of chicken and hummed with delight. “This is wonderful, Spike.” They continued to eat in a comfortable silence, nether willing to give up the state of peace that seemed to descend upon them. After dinner Spike decided to unveil the next surprise he had for her.

“Buffy, luv. Would you like to see what’s next? I have a couple more things in store if you aren’t too tired.” He waited for her to decide what she wanted.

“Is this a surprise or are you going to tell me what we’re doing next?” Buffy knew she would go just because this had been a very relaxing night already, but she would keep him waiting.

“Well, pet, I’m not going to tell you where we’re going, you’ll just have to trust me. I can tell you that there are lots of wonderful things in store for you tonight.” Spike hoped that she would go along with him.

“I suppose since you have my mother’s approval and she helped you plan for tonight, I could at least see what you have in store.” Buffy was taking a lot on faith but it had been such a nice night so far that she didn’t want it to end. Also, the shocked look on Spikes face was priceless.

“Well then, pet, we must be off before it gets to late. Do you trust me for at least tonight?”

“For tonight, but don’t think this is a permanent thing.”

“Never. Put this on.” He held out a blindfold for her to wear. He noticed her hesitation, “Its just until we get to where we’re going. Remember, no peeking.” Buffy put the blindfold on and waited for him to lead the way. He helped her to the DeSoto, which she could tell he’d cleaned out because there were no alcohol bottles beneath her feet. The car started with a rumble and she felt the car pull away from the curb. After what felt like only a few moments, Buffy heard the car stop and waited for Spike to come to her side and let her out.

“Here we are, just a little longer until you can look.” He was glad she hadn’t tried to peek, he wanted to see her face when she realized where they were. Buffy was not so pleased. She had heard the man ask for their tickets, and now he was showing them to their seats. ‘Where are we? What if he’s brought me to the opera. I hate the opera. But I can do this, I can pretend to enjoy it. He’s gone to so much trouble, it’s the least I can do. I’ll pretend to enjoy it. He’s gone to so much trouble tonight, I don’t want to hurt his feelings.

Just as she had resigned herself to a dull evening, he took off her blindfold and she gasped. “How did you….” she trailed off and just stared at the ice rink below her.

“Your mum, pet, she let me in on a little secret. Watch the show and when it’s over I have one more surprise.” He loved the look of soft wonder on her face and wished that she would look at him just once like that. She turned and looked at Spike, tears in her eyes. “Thank you, Spike, you have no idea what this means to me. Nothing can top this, though, so don’t get your hopes up.” He just smirked as he watched the show with her. It was wonderful watching the skaters twist and turn on the ice. All too soon it was over. Spike led Buffy back to the Desoto and asked her to don the blindfold once more.

“I’m telling you, Spike, nothing can top that.” She put the blindfold on anyway, not wanting to give up this night yet. The car drove off again and when they stopped there was no sound anywhere around. “Here we are, pet. Just a couple more steps and here we are.” Spike removed the blindfold and handed her a shirt and a pair of jeans. “Take these clothes and change then holler by the door when you are ready to come out.” Buffy was beyond confused by now. They were in what looked like an abandoned building. She put on the clothes he asked and went to the door.

“Spike, I’m ready.” He opened the door and handed her a pair of ice skates. He saw that soft look of wonder on her face again and just like he hoped it was pointed at him. “Can we really? No chance of demons interrupting us? Last time I tried to skate, someone hired the Order of Taraka to kill me. It sort of interrupted my skate time.” She mock glared at him.
“Not one of my high points, pet. Forgive me?” He gave her a soft smile and she relented.

“We’re not enemies anymore. We haven’t been for a long time. Now will you help me balance while I get these skates on?” Spike held her around the waist gently while she put on her skates and was amazed when she grabbed his hand. “Let’s go skate.” She led him to the ice and skated along the side. They skated for awhile and when she felt tired, she turned to him. “Do you think we could go to your crypt and rest before we have to patrol?” He looked at her in stunned disbelief. “You want to spend time in my crypt? With me?” He didn’t want to appear too hopeful that she might like him, but it wasn’t easy.

“Yes, Spike, I do.” She smiled at him reassuringly. “And I also want to tell my mom that her plan worked. I see you, not just the monster, but the man as well. I’d like to see if this thing between us could lead to something…” He stared at her in awe.

“You mean you want to be with me...” he was trying to find the words when she interrupted him by kissing his lips. There was a hunger in both of them that she had been trying to deny, but after he had shown her the man he was inside she saw no reason to deny herself any longer.

“Yes, Spike, I want to date you. So, since we have a little time before we need to patrol, why don’t we go back to you place and spend some time together cause you know that the one time I don‘t want my friends on patrol with me they‘ll show up, and I don’t want them to find out about us. ” She stopped when she realized how bad that sounded and quickly tried to explain. “I’m not planning to hide us, I just want you to myself before we have to face them and...” she would have kept babbling but his lips firmly covering hers shut her up.

“Enough, Buffy. I understand perfectly. Besides, you didn’t really think I’d be willing to let you keep us a secret, did you? Now let’s get out of these skates and back to my crypt, luv. I want to hold you.”
Spike finished changing out of his skates first. When Buffy was ready, he reached out his hand to her. She folded her slightly smaller hand into his as they walked to the DeSoto.