Author's Chapter Notes:
A MASSIVE thanks to my Beta Burnkitty your the bomb! This awesome banner was made by Edgehead a HUGE thanks to her i love ur work.
Chapter 10

Keeping promises.


The next morning, Buffy woke up only to be nursing a massive hangover. Groaning, she rose from her bed and sort out some pain killers before preparing herself a large breakfast. It wasn’t till about half an hour later and a hot shower that she started to feel a bit better. She had left Spike’s house over two hours ago now and she still hadn’t heard from him. While she desperately wanted to believe it was all just a misunderstanding she couldn’t stop the chatter in her head that said, if it was simply a misunderstanding, why hadn’t he even bothered to call and pled his case again?

Her thoughts where cut short when her phone rang. She scrambled off the bed, snatching up the receiver at the thought of it being Spike.

“Hello,” she said sounding overly enthusiastic.

“Hello is this Miss Buffy Summers?” she heard a voice say, she sighed inwardly with disappointment.

“It is.”

“Miss Summers, this is Frances Doyle from Doyle Records.”

“Oh my god,” she gasped softly and she heard him chuckle softly. She felt the blood rise up to her cheeks.

“I got your number off my nephew, William. From what he has said about you and your band, I am quite keen to hear your demo tape. If you could just give me the address where you’re staying, I’ll have my courier pick up a copy today.” Buffy tried to stay calm as she processed this information. This was her dream, he wanted their demo tape, and he wanted to hear their music. Her mind spinning, she took a much needed calming breath before she finally replied.

“Ah, sure. No problem. The address is,1630 Revello Drive, Sunnydale California,” Buffy replied sprouting off her mother’s home address. She figured it would be easier for the courier to pick it up there rather then from the dorm room. There were already several copies of the demo tapes at the house. She had seen many couriers before on the U.C Sunnydale campus lost, trying to find the right dorm room.

“Now, the reason I’m asking for it so soon is because I have had to cancel my break. I’ll heading for Europe for six months to promote another band. I am hoping on return that if I am pleased with what I hear I will come straight to Sunnydale after my trip to hear you play in person. You must understand Miss Summers, from the way my nephew spoke about your band I would love to get the ball rolling as soon as I can.”

“Of course Mr Doyle, I completely understand.”

“Now, at the present time I am unable to say for certain when I’ll be able to hear you live, but I will know for sure about a month before I get back from Europe. I can contact you then with the details if you like.”

“That sounds great, I don’t mind waiting,” Buffy agreed. After a few more words exchanged, they said their goodbyes. Placing the phone back in its cradle she was shaking so hard with excitement, with one thing going though her mind. She had to go tell the girls, now. She grabbed her hand bag off her bed and swung open the door to be confronted with two police officers. She recognized one of them immediately and her stomach filled with dread.

“Officer Gunn, what’s going on?” she asked, panic filling her voice.

“Miss Summers, this is my partner Officer McClay. We have orders to get you out of here as fast as possible. I am sorry to inform you that Mr Abrams escaped from prison early this morning. Buffy’s excitement evaporated as she realised that her worst nightmare had come true. Her panic turned to fear, the colour drained from her face and her hands began to shake.

He was out and she knew exactly where he would come first. He would come straight for her.

“Oh god… my friends, my family… Dawn!” Buffy wrung her hands together, her mind spinning with possibilities.

“We have already have officers with your mother and sister. Your friends Miss Rosenberg, Mr Harris and Mr Ozbourne are all waiting in the hall for us, near the front entrance. I must insist we go now,” he informed her, ushering her out the door.

Buffy shut and locked her door, clutching her bag and peering down the hall in a desperate attempt to see her friends. She walked between the two officers down the empty hall and suddenly Buffy thought of Spike. She had the most overwhelming feeling of wanting to see him, wishing he was here with her, holding her hand. As if on que, Spike came walking down the hall, straight towards her.

“Buffy, we need to talk,” he said, not fazed by the two officers at her side.

“Spike!” she yelped, leaping into his arms. After holding him tightly for a few seconds she reluctantly let go, looking up at him, the fear once more filling her.

“Miss Summers, we really need to get you out of here, it’s not safe,” Officer McClay stressed, encouraging the two to continue walking towards the exit. Officer Gunn planted himself firmly in front of the others, looking increasingly nervous. Buffy ushered Spike in Officer Gunn’s direction with Officer McClay coming up on the rear.

“Buffy, luv, what’s going on?”

“Parker broke out of prison this morning,” she whimpered, her green eyes glistening with fear. Spike wrapped a protective arm around her shoulders and squeezed her gently.

“Don’t worry luv, I won’t let him hurt you,” he whispered as they turned the corner, her friends coming into view.

“It’s not me I’m worried about,” she replied looking up at him concerned. Spike simply nodded his head as Buffy’s friends rushed over to them.

“Buffy, are you okay?” Willow asked clearly panicked.

“I’m fine, but we should leave.”

“I agree,” Officer Gunn replied. He raised his radio to his mouth. “We have the packages.”

The group stepped outside, following Officer Gunn’s lead. They were all stopped short when Parker stepped out from behind a tree, taking everyone by surprise. He held a gun in his right hand, pointing it straight at Buffy, his eyes black with anger.

“You think you could just do that to me, like you think I would let you get away with that? Do you?? Well, think again!” Parker screamed.

“Police!” Officer Gunn roared, drawing his weapon.

Parker took no note of the officer, instead he took another step forward, his eye sight focused on Buffy and her friends. Buffy knew that look. Fearing the worse, she shoved Xander to the ground, not even thinking about her own safety. Then, she felt two strong arms tackling her face first to the ground, covering her body protectively. Her body landed heavily onto the pavement as a series of gun shots rang out. It was followed by screaming, then, silence.

Buffy reluctantly opened her eyes slowly and looked around the best she could, her body still pinned. That’s when she heard Willow shrill voice filled with panic.

“Oh my God Oz, Oz speak to me! Are you ok? Oh my God Buffy, Oz has been shot!” Buffy’s heart broke at the sound of her best friend’s fear laced voice.

“I’m okay Willow, it feels strange... kinda hurts,” Oz murmured, looking down at his grazed right arm. Buffy sighed in relief as she watched the couple slowly stand together.

“Xander?” Buffy called out.

“I’m fine, I’m of the good,” he replied. She saw a pair of black shoes walk up beside her and Officer Gunn’s face came into view, his face covered with concern.

“Miss Summers, the ambulance is on the way. Try not to move, your losing a lot of blood.”

“Blood? What blood?” she asked, noticing for the first time that Spike was still on top of her but not moving.

“Spike?” she whispered, twisting her body around so she could see his face. It was deathly pale, his breathing shallow and his eyes closed. It was then she felt a gush of blood run down her side and she gasped in fear.

“It’s not me, its Spike! Oh my God, he’s been shot!” Her eyes stung with tears as she slid from under him with Officer Gunn’s help before they rolled Spike onto his back and putting pressure on the wound that was just below his shoulder.

“Spike please wake up, look at me, please don’t leave me,” she sobbed.

Buffy was vaguely aware of Officer McClay talking on the radio requesting emergency assistance. But her heart froze when she heard the officer mention the Coroner. Buffy instinctively looked at Spike, then towards the direction she had last seen Parker. He was laying on his back not too far away from the tree had stepped out from, not moving, his shirt and the grass surrounding him soaked in blood. She looked at Officer Gunn.

“Is he?” She couldn’t finish the sentence instead she nodded her head in the direction of Parker. Officer Gunn gave her a curt nod before turning his attention back to Spike. She felt her whole body sigh in relief. He was gone, he was never going to torment her or anyone else again. Looking back down at Spike, she wound her hand into his, praying that Parker hadn’t taken the one thing in her life that made her smile.


Chapter End Notes:
So?? what do you think? let me know.... So sorry to everyone for taking so very long to update the fic.