Author's Chapter Notes:
Please leave feedback. Thanks to my Beta Burnkitty love your work girl! Also a huge thanks to Edgehead for the awesome banner *hugs*
Buffy had ended up coming back down stairs after about twenty minutes of sulking up in her old room. What surprised her though was that Spike was still there, talking to his mother. Shooting her mother a dirty look she opened the refrigerator to find something to drink. Finding nothing, she settled for a glass of water from the tap. Buffy could see that the mugs the hot chocolate were in were already washed and on the dish rack drying. After draining the contents of her glass she turned to the pair who was laughing at something Spike had just said.

“I would like to go back to the dorm now.” Spike’s head snapped around as she spoke. Her mother glared at her with warning.

“If that’s ok with you.” Buffy finished. Spike stood and extended his hand to Joyce.

“It’s been a pleasure.” Buffy saw her mother smile and shook Spikes hand.

“Anytime.” Buffy rolled her eyes and headed for the door. She was surprised as she reached the front door Spike was right behind her.

“Bye mum!” Buffy called out, opening the door. Cold air blasted in, making Buffy shiver. She stepped out onto the patio, rubbing her arms for a moment in an attempt to warm herself. She then raced to the car and swung the door open on the passenger side before shutting it again and clicking on her belt. It wasn’t too long before Spike had jumped into the driver’s seat with a slam of his door and started the engine. Buffy could see her mother standing on the patio waving goodbye. She waved back until she couldn’t see the light of patio anymore. The ride back to the dorm was coated in silence. She sighed with silent relief as the campus lights came into view. Spike parked the car near her dorm and helped to lug her bags up to her room. Before she got a chance to say thank you however he was gone. Too tired to care, Buffy snapped the lock on the door and fell into bed, falling asleep even before her head hit the pillow.

Getting back into the campus life wasn’t nearly as difficult as Buffy thought it was going to be. Sure there was the odd whisper still about her and Parker now and again and she would sometimes catch people staring at her with sympathy. Class had been more time consuming then she ever remembered it being before but thankfully Willow had been there to help her all the way. Her warm smile never wavered.

A few days later Buffy got a call from Spike telling her that her car was fixed and that he had dropped it off down in the car park; the keys were down in her mail box in an envelope. He had called her on the dorm phone so she guessed he had gotten it from Willow. Curious, Buffy had scampered down to the mail room and picked up her keys before racing out to the car park to see her car. She gasped as her car came into view. It looked perfect. Not a scratch or dent to be seen. She raced towards the library where she knew Willow was to tell her the good news, a grin ear to ear. Stepping inside the cold, musky library she almost ran straight into the very person she was trying to find. She was stopped just in time by her friend’s steady hands.

“Whoh Buffy, where’s the fire?” Willow let her friend go and urged her to a nearby table. Still grinning like a circus clown, Buffy plopped into the nearest chair, tossing her car keys onto the middle of the desk.

“Oh my God. You haven’t?” Willow asked as she slid into a chair herself.

“Yep, just got dropped off.”

“Ah huh. How much?”

“Nothing.” Buffy watched in amusement as her friends jaw almost fell off with disbelief.

“And here I was thinking that ‘don’t worry about it, I owe you’ was just a line.” Willow’s eyes widened before a sly smile crept upon her face. Buffy knew what that meant.

“Speaking of Spike you haven’t told me what happened the other night.” Willow smiled wickedly now raising her eye brows at her.

“Willow I told you what happened.” Buffy replied trying to dance around the question.

“Nuh uh. You gave me vague descriptions, not details. A girl needs details.” Willow pouted pulling her best resolve face she could muster.

“There are no details. Spike crashed into me, gave me a ride, took me to mum’s then brought me back here. End of story.” Buffy held her breath waiting for the ‘Don’t give me that I want details’ response from her friend but instead all she got was a small nod and a smile.

“That’s it? Cat got your tongue or something?” She asked sarcastically.

“Who has who’s tongue?” Buffy felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up straight when she heard the all too familiar British voice behind her.

“No one.” She replied meekly as she watched him take a seat beside her.

“Hey Red. How’s things?” Willow smiled nervously as she made a grab for her bag.

“Oh you know not much. Mostly study.” She replied, standing.

“Will, where are you going?” Buffy asked eyes pleading.

“Oh I have a thing.” She said as she started to walk off.

“What thing?” Buffy called out.

“You know Buffy I got that thing I was telling you about before… well it was good seeing you Spike… I’ll see you tonight Buffy … um bye.” she said her eyes darting from Spike to Buffy before she scampered off.

“Um okay.” Buffy mumbled a little confused.

“Is she usually like that?” Spike asked knowing the answer already.

“Huh? Oh that’s just Willow.” She smiled.

“Right well then. Just wanted to make sure you got your car back okay.”

“Oh yes thank you!” Buffy gushed.

“Good to hear. Well um I’ll leave you to it then.” he replied awkwardly as he stood.

“Spike was there something else? I mean you’re not known for hanging out at the library.” He smiled sheepishly as he sat back down on the vacant chair.

“Busted huh?" Buffy raised her eyebrows at him and nodded her head.

“Just a little.”

"Well I’m heading to L.A for a few hours tonight. My mate Lorne owns club there. Wanted to see if you'd like to come a long, you know get out of town.”

“Look Spike I really appreciate what you did for me that night and with my car but… the thing is… I’m just not looking to get involved with anyone… ever again actually.” Spike almost laughed at this. Instead he ran his hand though his hair before continuing.

“Miss Summers you misunderstand me. After what I went though before summer break I am in no way looking for a relationship. Friendship yes and I thought that maybe you could use a friend is all. No relationship tendencies attached.” Spike had to bow his head at the guilt of his own lies. He knew he wanted her but he didn’t want to push her away either. So for the moment it just had to be this. Hell, he could wait. She was worth the wait.

“Oh my god I’m so embarrassed. I’m so sorry I never should have assumed…” Buffy felt her face burn bright red and she too put her head down, staring at a hole in the desk as if it was the most interesting thing she had seen. How could she be so stupid, this was Spike Giles for goodness sake! What could he possibly see in her? As Parker had said no one would love her now she was just used goods. Seeing Buffy’s face flushed Spike said the first thing that came to him to make her feel better.

“Don’t get me wrong you’re beautiful but I don’t think either of us are ready to jump into the dating game just yet.” He smiled winking at her as she looked up at him stunned. Did she just hear right? Had he just called her beautiful? Puzzled she scanned his face, positive it was some kind of joke. She found nothing but sincerity. No one had ever called her beautiful and truly meant it... well no one besides her mum.

"What?" He asked after she didn’t answer him. Her face was full of awe.

“You think I’m beautiful?” Buffy whispered.

“Don’t ever forget it.” Buffy felt herself blush again and her stomach doing flip flops. Man how can one word mean so much? Buffy extended her hand to Spike.

“So, friends?”

“Friends.” Spike smiled extending his hand to connect with hers. It was like two powerful magnets being connected and as they shook each others hand firmly, neither seem to want to let go. Finally loosening his grip Spike pulled his hand away. Buffy let her arm fall slack against her leg. The connection between them was so strong already but neither was ready to admit it. Spike cleared his throat.

“So what do you think about tonight?”

“That would be great! Oh wait I can’t. Crap. My band has a gig tonight at The Bronze.”

“You’re in a band?” He asked looking shocked.

“You seem surprised.” Buffy giggled.

“I’m in a band with Willow, Faith, Cordy, Fred and Anya.”

“I know them. The Slayers. Didn’t know you where with them though.”

“Well most of out gigs are out of town before…before I took time off.” Spike nodded understanding, saddened at the thought of her going through something like that. It maddened him to think any man could treat such a wonderful person so harshly.

“So let me see if I got this right. Your friend Willow plays the keyboard and Faith plays a wicked drums. Cordelia plays the base guitar and does vocals. I know Anya and Fred do all the behind the scene stuff like finance and costume design and over all management for the band.”

“Correct.”

“So where exactly do you fit in love?”

“I play guitar and was lead singer until you know.”

“Ah I see. Actually been thinking about starting a band myself… It’s too bad about tonight.” Spike stood, kicking himself. Gotten all his hopes up for nothing. He was really hoping to spend more time with her, getting to know her.

“Well if you change your mind about going to L.A you could come to the gig to night. First performance in 8 months I could use a friend.” Buffy looked at him hopefully.

“I’ll be there. What time do you go on?” Lorne could wait. A beautiful smile graced Buffy’s face and Spike knew at once he had made the right decision.

“We go on at eight; it should be pumping. I’m even singing a song I wrote over the summer.”

“A writer too huh?” He smirked and Buffy almost melted.

*Could he be any hotter?*

“I have many talents.” She replied smiling wickedly.

“And I can’t wait to see them all.” Spike replied winking at her. Could Spike be any hotter? Hell yes! The chemistry between them sizzled and cracked.

“I’ll see you at eight Miss Summers.” Spike drawled as he took her hand and lightly kissed the back of her palm. Buffy felt her face flush once again and her hand tingled from his touch. Placing her hand back on her lap he looked into her eyes and smiled one last time before turning and walking away. Buffy heard herself sigh softly. She could feel a small smile playing on her lips. This was like her own fairy tale brought to life. In taking a shaky breath she had a feeling that this was the start to a very interesting ‘friendship’.


Chapter End Notes:
Please leave feedback ;)