Author's Chapter Notes:
A MASSIVE thanks to my Beta Burnkitty your the bomb! Love ya! Please leave feedback ;)
This awesome banner was made by Edgehead a HUGE thanks to her i love ur work.
Misunderstood Part 1

45 minutes later.


Spike turned into the street Buffy indicated him to turn into and then slowed the car as she pointed to her house with some glee he might add. The rain had stopped just as they hit the outskirts of Sunnydale. He stopped the car smoothly out the front of Summer's residence. The second Spike cut the engine Buffy practically leapt out of the van and headed for the front door with a small smile playing on her lips. She was finally home. Her mother, she realized must have seen the van pull up on the curb because she was already out the door and meeting her daughter halfway. Arms flew around each other as they embraced each tightly. Buffy heard the other door of the van open and she guessed that Spike had gotten out of the van. Buffy felt her mother pull back from her and touched her on the face gently.

“Honey I was starting to worry about you. I called your father he said you had left hours ago.”

“I meant to call I swear mum. I had uh some car trouble.” Joyce looked over Buffy’s shoulder at that moment to see Spike standing near them and smiling softly at her.

“Who’s your friend?” She asked curiously. Buffy stepped back and turned to look at Spike.

“Oh mum this is Spiii … uh William Giles. He is Rupert’s son. William this is my mum, Joyce Summers.” She gestured. Spike stepped forward shaking Joyce’s outstretched hand.

“Nice to meet you Mrs. Summers but please call me Spike.” He smiled releasing her hand.

“Spike. Hmm. That’s an interesting nickname. You can call my Joyce.” She smiled at him. Now that name rang a bell. Spike. Ah of course Buffy, she remembered had gone on about him during her entire senior year of High School. To her, he was ‘drop dead gorgeous’ if she remembered correctly.

“Honey, where’s your car?”

“Uh…it…umm…” She glanced at Spike who was observing the exterior of the house it seemed.

“Oh Buffy. What happened?” Joyce’s voice was laced with concern Buffy knew and she felt as though she had no other choice but to fess up to her mother.

“Well you see I was about an hour away and a dog ran in front of my car. So I slammed on the on the brakes to avoid hitting it and well … William kind of ran into the back of my car.”

“Oh good Lord. Are you both okay?” She asked concern still in her eyes as she touched Buffy’s face.

“Mum, we are fine. The back of my car isn’t though.”

“Well, cars can be fixed or replaced young lady but people can’t. I’m just glad you are both okay. We’ll work out away to get the car fixed.” Joyce finished almost whispering. Money, Buffy knew was rather tight at the moment. While Joyce owned the local art gallery most of that money was getting poured into Joyce’s medical bills.

“Oh that won’t be a problem Mrs. Sum… Joyce. If I could just use your phone for a moment I’ll call my mate Phil. He’s the local mechanic around here. He’ll have Buffy’s car as good as new in no time.”

“Spike we couldn’t possibly let you do that.” Joyce gushed. How could this boy, a stranger none the less, be so generous was truly outstanding.

“Really it’s no problem. He owes me a few favors any how. Besides Buffy may have slammed on the brakes but it was my bad driving that caused me to crash into the back of her car. Honestly I insist.” Joyce smiled at his resolved look. He was truly a gentleman this one.

“Since I can see that there is no changing your mind, thank you Spike. Now why don’t we all get out of the cold? A cup of hot chocolate should warm up those frozen fingers.” Hot chocolate? Spike’s eyes lit up at these words. Before his mother, Jenny had passed away from cancer almost three years ago. But he remembered she always had a way of knowing exactly when he needed this wonderful warm treat. She would often place small marshmallows in it to make it extra special for him. He felt a little pang in is heart as he looked into space, remembering how wonderful his mother was and how much he missed her. Of course he wasn’t the only one gutted by his mother’s death. His father he knew had taken it very hard indeed. He was almost unrecognizable at one stage. This woman reminded him so much of his own mother he realized. He only wished that someday his father would find someone as wonderful as his mother.

“Are you coming William?” Buffy asked looking at him, a puzzled look on her face. He noticed that Joyce had already heading for the front door. Shaking his head softly, as if to shoo away the memories; he placed his hand on Buffy’s shoulder. On contact, Buffy felt as though she had been stuck by a bolt of lighting.

“Buffy luv, please call me Spike.” She smiled, still over come with the sensation that he was actually touching her. She then nodded her head in agreement before Spike recoiled his hand and they headed towards the house.

As they approached the doorway, Spike could see that Joyce was standing patiently in the hall.

“The phone is just on the wall there. Feel free to join us in the kitchen when you are done.”

“Thank you.” He scurried over to the phone and Joyce motioned Buffy to follow her to the kitchen. Buffy thought she could see a hint of a twinkle in her mother’s eye. Stepping into the brightly lit kitchen Buffy sat down on one of the stools of the breakfast bar while Joyce made herself busy getting cups and putting the kettle on. She could hear Spike’s voice as he talked on the phone although she wasn’t able to make out exactly what he was saying. Her mother, as always broke her thoughts.

“He seems like a very nice boy Buffy.” Joyce said as she spooned heaped teaspoons of cocoa into the mugs.

“Huh? Yeah he’s nice.”

“Is he the same Spike from high school?” Buffy looked up at her mother guiltily, feeling her cheeks burn.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Buffy muttered desperately trying to play dumb.

“Oh you know…” Her mother started. The kettle whistled and then clicked off. Joyce moved her hands near her face and with two fingers each she crunched them up and down twice.

“Spike is the hottest, coolest, funniest, sweetest guy ever.” Joyce done the motion again before getting the kettle. Buffy looked at her un-amused as her mother continued the onslaught while pouring the hot water into the mugs.

“Then you went on to say you would give up your first born if he would just ask you to prom.” Buffy felt her anger flare.

“I never said I would give my first born!” She retorted, shocked at the accusation.

“Got-cha!” Her mother whispered triumphantly. Buffy warmly smiled. Indeed she had been caught out.

“Hey! You tricked me.” Buffy pouted. Joyce smiled smugly as she stirred the warm liquid in one of the mugs.

“Still the best at it.”

“Yeah, Winner and still defending champion.” Buffy quipped jokingly. She watched as she moved the spoon to the next cup, swirling it the same way she always did.

“So…Is he still dating that what did you use to call her… oh right vampire wanna be?” Buffy let out a little laugh at her old nickname for Dru.

“It’s Drusilla mum and no he’s not.” She replied looking down now. She had a feeling where this conversation was going and she really wished it wasn't.

“Really?” her mother replied raising one of her eye brows. Buffy could still hear the spoon tinkering on the edge of the mug her mother was stirring.

“Don’t even think it mum. It’s not like that. He doesn’t see me that way besides we’re just friends... actually I don’t even know if we’re that.” Buffy replied looking back up at her mother with a slightly confused look on her face.

“Buffy. You’re beautiful, more the beautiful. You’re gorgeous and any boy would be a fool not to see that.” She said placing the spoon she was holding on the bench. She then reached out and caressed her daughter’s cheek lovingly.

“But you’re my mom. You have to say those things.” She said rolling her eyes.

“Maybe but I’m also right.” She said warmly. Buffy smiled at her mother’s comment. She always had a way of making her feel extraordinary.

“And just because Parker…” Joyce began. Buffy’s smile quickly faded as her mother continued.

“…Didn’t appreciate you doesn’t mean all men will treat you the same way.” Buffy raised her hand to stop her. She really didn't want to talk about Parker. The thought of him made her stomach ache. In fact she never wanted to hear his name again.

“Mum please don’t.” She watched as her mother put in the marshmallows in the mugs and then dusted them with cocoa.

“Buffy, honey please listen to me. I don’t want you to close your self off from people and new possibilities.”

“I’m not I just… I don’t want to talk about it. That part of my life is over, so just drop it alright.” She replied standing from her stool and walking out of the kitchen.

“But Buffy…” Joyce yelled out. Spike walked into the kitchen at that moment to see a very distort Joyce. He could see she had made three mugs of hot chocolate. They were perfect he realized.

“Is she alright?” He asked without thinking.

“She’s just um, tired.” Joyce muttered.

“Here, this one is for you.” Joyce picked up one of the mugs and offered it to Spike. She smiled at him brilliantly as he took the cup from her hands. She grabbed a cup of her own and gestured to the table.

“Please take a seat.” He sat down, not wanting to offend the woman but at the same time he couldn’t help wondering where Buffy had got to.

“So, Spike. Tell me a bit about your self.”


Chapter End Notes:
PLEASE PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK ;)