Chapter 34

The morning of the Union found the Scooby gang running backwards and forwards. Spike watched in amusement, and crept away silently after Joyce burst into tears for the fifth time.

He made his way up to the bar in the elevator, as the doors swished open he stifled a curse when he saw Xander sitting at a bar stool. As he made his way over, a couple of demons stopped to pat him on the back or give him a manly hug.

Xander watched Spikes approach and he wanted to scream, all these people, no demons, were treating him like the prodigal son or something. Xander didn’t get it, this wasn’t the way it was supposed to be.

“Well, if it isn’t dead boy junior, the hero by the look of things.” Xander announced sarcastically when Spike reached him.

Spike saw a couple of demons looking there way and bit back a curse.

“Look Whelp, no matter what you say it’s not going to touch me today, one because Buffy would kill me if I ate you, two, your in the middle of Hell, who the fuck do you think all these demon’s are going to side with?” Spike eased down onto the stool and signalled the barkeep.

When two glasses were placed in front of them Spike ushered one over to Xander. He picked up his own shot and downed it in one.

“You know, it don’t matter what you think of me. If you keep giving Buffy grief over this, you’ll lose her. She’ll pick me.” Spike spoke conversationally.

“See, that’s what I don’t get! When did picking demons become the right thing to do?” Xander blurted out.

Spike caught the barkeepers scowl and shook his head.

“I ain’t gonna give you the speech that includes you dating a vengeance demon…” Spike began but Xander cut him of.

“She’s an ex-vengeance demon!” Xander gritted.

“Don’t matter mate, she still off-ed thousands. And she still would be if she hadn’t lost her powers. The point is, and what Buffy and Willow accept is that she’s not killing people now and you love her.” Spike spoke gently.

“Now, we’re not doing this again. You either accept it or you don’t. I don’t give a shit either way but what your doing hurts Buffy.”

Spike stood and pushed his stool back against the bar. He looked at Xander.

“Oh man, this doesn’t mean that I like you.” Xander grumbled and stood up.

“Wouldn’t have it any other way.” Spike laughed and smacked him on the back.

“Just think how happy Anya will be when she sees how nice your being.” Spike pointed out.

“She would be very happy, wouldn’t she?” Xander mused with an excited face.

They headed back to the elevator. Xander with a hopeful glint and Spike with a soft look on his face.

**

Giles sat next to Joyce in the ceremony hall and fingered the collar of his starched shirt.

“Stop fidgeting.” Joyce scalded under her breath.

“I can’t help it, all these demons. I’m torn between declaring war and finding my notepad.” Giles whispered back and Joyce sniggered.

Unfortunately the sniggering turned into sniffling. Giles sighed and dug the second handkerchief out his pocket and passed it over.

“She looked really beautiful Rupert.” Joyce took the hanky and dabbed at her eyes.

“I know Joyce, really beautiful.” Giles patted the mother of the bride’s hand.

“And, Spike, he looks so handsome.” Joyce continued.

“Hmm.” Giles answered non committed way. Giles was still in shock at the sight of seeing William the Bloody head to foot in a white suit. Giles still couldn’t decide if it covered blaspheme.

At the other end of the hall Spike paced while Dave tried to calm him down.

“Spike, calm down will you, it’s not like she’s not going to turn up.” Dave joked.

“Why would you say that?” Spike demanded and Dave gave a large gulp.

“Spike, it will be fine.” Dave covered awkwardly and gave him an awkward pat on the shoulder.

Music flowed through the hall and Spike froze. He turned to see the entrance of the hall.

Willow and Lou walked slowly down the aisle; both looking beautiful in forest green floaty dresses but Spikes eyes strained to see passed them. When he caught sight of Buffy he felt his unneeded breath catch in his throat.

Buffy walked behind them, the white dress that she wore floated around her and she smiled so brightly that Spike swore that it was pure sunshine he was seeing.

He waited patiently for her to reach him and then had to control the urge to grab her and kiss her. Buffy smiled knowingly and whispered.

“Not long now.”

Spike grinned back at her. He took her hand and together they walked to the centre of the steps in front of the demon performing the ceremony.

The demon nodded and they knew it was time to begin.

Buffy raised her hand and placed it over Spikes heart, and she watched as Spike placed his hand over hers.

Buffy and Spike listened while the demon spoke the words of the Union and then repeated them together.

“My blood, my love, my pain, my devotion I will offer you all of my days,
Until the powers chose fit to have us part ways.”

They joined hands and raised them to shoulder level. Spike slid his fingers in between Buffy’s and they clasped their hands tightly together.

They joined their raised hands and the demon bound each wrist in a cord, he went to the alter and returned with two daggers, he thrust both daggers into each of there bound hands and the crackle of power went through the room. Not to mention a few gasps from the odd human.

“Who here supports this union?” the demon intoned and Lou and Dave stood and answered as one.

“We do.”

“You give your love, support and the oath to stand by this Union.” He asked and they answered again as one.

“We do.”

He returned to the impaled couple and removed the daggers, Buffy turned and watched as he brought the daggers over to Lou and Dave. She felt her eye’s well up as she noticed that Lou was crying.

They held there upturned palms to the demon, a small male demon approached and held a bowl under Dave’s hand as the demon used one of the daggers to open the skin. Dave bled into the bowl, and then the small demon brought the bowl to Lou’s hand and repeated the action. She winced slightly as her skin opened but bled into the bowl. Again the crackle of power filled the room.

The demon returned to Buffy and Spike and unbound their wrists.

“You are joined.” He announced and the hall erupted into cheers.

Spike grabbed Buffy and kissed her soundly.

Once the crowd had settled down the demon who had performed the ceremony made an announcement.

“Buffy and Spike have their own ceremony that they’d like to share with you.” He announced in a loud voice.

The hush that settled over the hall was almost comical Spike thought. Oh well it was no or never.

They still stood on in front of the alter, Spike searched Buffy’s eyes for a look of doubt but she just nodded happily.

Spike watched as she pulled her hair to one side and offered her neck to him.

Without looking anywhere but her neck he felt his face shift and he lowered his mouth to her pulse. His fangs sliced through the skin there and he felt her blood fill his mouth, he swallowed twice before whispering.

“Mine.”

Buffy sighed and answered.

“Yours.”

When spike lifted his mouth away from her neck he kissed her gently. Buffy fastened her mouth to the vampire’s neck and used her blunt teeth to bite down hard enough to break the skin; she pulled a mouthful of blood into her mouth and swallowed before whispering.

“Mine.”

Spike shivered as he felt the power rush through his body and he nodded.

“Yours.”

More power crackled around the pair. Then they kissed again.

Giles sat staring at his slayer and the vampire. Shocked didn’t even really cover it.

Joyce beamed happily, and he shook hi head.

A number of demons approached Joyce and handed over wads of cash.

“I told you that they’d claim each other.” Joyce announced smugly and Giles fell back on the age old tradition of whipping off his glasses to clean them.