Buffy suppressed a smile. “I thought that was a shitty word?”

He curled his tongue between his teeth and smiled. “It was.”

“And then what happened?” Buffy prodded.

“And then there was you.”

She smiled and swatted his chest playfully, “Kiss ass.”

He seemed to think about it for a moment and then answered, “I could, if you wanted me to, but I was thinking of kissing you somewhere else.”

She laughed and stepped out of his arms as the lights came on, taking her lipstick out of her purse and grabbing his arm, using it as a marker.

“What are you doing?” he asked, floored that she was vandalizing his skin.

“It’s a number.”

“Yours?”

“You better fucken’ hope so” she purred out before grabbing him and pulling him in for one last kiss before strutting back to her friends, and just like that he was smitten.


Willow looked up when her friend approached and smiled, “Look who came back, little miss birthday girl and her new friend Hickey.”

Buffy’s hand flew to her neck and she laughed, “Well guys we did it, we managed to get past my birthday without another apocalypse.”

Xander handed her a shot and they raised their glasses in a cheer before downing it. Buffy’s face immediately scrunching up at the taste the Jack Daniels left in her mouth.

“You guys go ahead, I’m gonna’ catch a lift with Giles later, we’re gonna catch up a bit before dinner on Sunday.”

They all exchanged hugs, Xander commenting on what a show she’d put on the dance floor and making her promise to introduce her to the new guy should they get closer. With a smile and a wave she saw them off and headed over to Giles who was now wiping down the empty bar.

“Hey old man, got a decent drink for a decent lady?”

“Only if you show me a decent lady.” He said with a wink and pulled out the pitcher he’d mixed for them just before close.

Buffy smiled, “Oooooh, vodka and cranberry with cherries, yummy.”

She grabbed the pitcher and used a finger to fish out one of the tiny fruits while they headed to a table.

“So, seemed like you were having fun tonight” he commented with a twinkle in his eye.

Buffy laughed, “Saw that did you?”
“I had to polish my glasses three times to get the image of my almost daughter making out with…”

Before he could finish Buffy’s cell phone rang, she looked at him apologetically and answered.

“Hey cutie”

“Hi…”, her heart skipped a beat and she smiled.

“It struck me after you gave me your number I didn’t have your name” he said sounding slightly embarrassed.

“It’s Buffy, but could you call me tomorrow? I’m with my dad right now?” she added giving Giles a warm smile, not seeing the tears mist his eyes at her choice of wording.

“Sure thing kitten, just getting cleaned up myself to hang out with my uncle after work.”

“So he’s a night guy too?”

“Ya, but he loved what he does, seems to suit him just fine. I’m probably going to wake up late but do you think you’re up for doing something with me tomorrow night?”

“That sounds…”, Buffy worried her lip a moment before thinking to herself, what the hell, she deserved some fun, “Lovely actually.”

She could almost here his smile, “Thank you, get yourself home safe and sound and I’ll ring you up tomorrow, night kitten.”

“Night.” She hung up and smiled at Giles. “I forgot to tell him my name” she laughed out, and then laughed a little bit harder, “And I still don’t know his.”

Giles smiled, “His name is…”

Just then the sound of the door to the room above the bar slammed open and a voice called out, “Hey Rupes, got anything to drink?”

Giles ran his hand over his face and smiled, “Spike. And he’s my nephew.”

Buffy’s face paled as Spike came into full view, a full topless view.

Her eyes darted to and fro between the men and she remained speechless.

“Well this is a surprise in’it?” Spike said, a bright smile lighting his face when he saw her with his uncle.

She stood up and looked at Giles, “I am so sorry…I didn’t know he was…that you’re…”

“Sit down Buffy” Giles said in a ‘don’t disobey me but I love you’ tone. She did. “I’m not mad, a little shocked at first certainly. But what kind of da’ would I be if I didn’t notice how happy you were tonight?”

She gave him a shaky smile.

Spike pulled out a chair at the table and sat down with them. “So I take it old Rupes here adopted you?”

She gave him a tiny nod and a tinier smile, embarrassed beyond belief that Giles had had to see that.

“So you must be the wonderful Elizabeth he’s been writing to me about. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you formally.” He stuck out his hand and they shook. “M’names Spike.”

Both Buffy and Giles burst out laughing, his innocent statement relieving the awkward tension of the situation.

“What the bloody hell are you two laughing at?”

Giles smiled and looked at Buffy, “His name is William.”

Before Spike could retaliate Buffy turned and smiled at him, fully this time, “Nice to finally meet you William. I’ve heard a lot about you.”

Spike decided right there that William didn’t sound so bad after all.

After all of them had talked together for about two hours, explaining how who knew who and what not, Buffy stood up and got ready to leave, giving Giles a quick kiss on the cheek. She turned to Spike and smiled, “See you tomorrow.”

Both men stood up immediately and spat out “you’re not bloody well going home alone at this time.”

Buffy snorted, “Did you guys practice that or is it some sort of weird British…because it is ridiculously creepy.”

Giles laughed and Spike blushed while he grabbed his coat from behind the bar, “It’s a beautiful night, let me walk you home?”

She smiled as she waved bye to Giles, adding that she’d see him Sunday and she and Spike had almost made it out before Giles shot out, “Do you have your keys William? I’m not waiting up for nothing if you’re not going to come back.”

“Ya’ I got ‘em.” Spike answered, his blush deepening while Buffy just giggled nervously and with trepidation, the cocky attitude on the dance floor now gone, he took her tiny hand in his.


They walked in silence for the first few blocks; every now and then he’d pull her close and press a light kiss to her forehead. Then, ever so slowly the conversation started again.

“So did you just move here? You’re accent sounds pretty fresh.”

“Came down about two months ago to see about a girl, didn’t really work out but I figured I liked it here, and my uncle offered me a place to stay ‘till I could find somewhere that I liked.”

“Your uncle’s a wonderful man. Treats me like the daughter he never had.”

Spike stopped her and turned her to face him, “You ARE the daughter he’s never had Buffy. For years I’ve been hearing about Elizabeth this, Elizabeth that…He is so proud of you and the work you do, have to say, I admire it too.”

“You read my books?”

“Every single one, couldn’t put them down. Working on something new yet? S’been a while since your last publication.”

She bit her lip and thought for a second whether or not to share, then decided it couldn’t hurt.

“I am, but I’m having a lot of trouble with the final chapter of this one. Don’t know what kind of ending to give my characters.”

Without a pause Spike replied, “A happy one.”

She smirked, “You don’t even know them yet.”

“No, but doesn’t everybody deserve one?”

“Of course, but not everybody gets one.”

“So give the readers who never got theirs through them.”

“You make it sound so easy” she laughed and Spike couldn’t help but hear the tinge of bitterness that it rang with.

He pulled her into his arms and made sure she was looking at him.

“It is” he whispered.

“It’s pretend.” She sighed in reply.

“If you believe in something hard enough it stops being fake and becomes tangible enough to be real.”

“So if I hit my feet together really hard will I get sent back to aunty Em’s farm?” she shot back sarcastically.

“I didn’t mean to offend you kitten.”

Buffy ran her fingers through her hair and sighed, “I know…I know. I’m sorry okay? But I’ve known you for like what, 20 seconds and your trying to charm yourself into my bed and I just didn’t expect that from someone related to Giles, and I didn’t expect any of this to happen tonight.”

“First off, I’m not trying to get in your pants.”, she raised an eyebrow at that. “I’m not saying I wouldn’t love a go, you look like a fucken’ wildcat, but that’s not why I’m talking to you or trying to get you to believe in happy endings.”

“So why the big talk then?”

“Because you need to believe in them or they’ll stop looking for you.”

“You really believe that shit don’t you?”

He shrugged his shoulders, “I have to.”

Buffy smiled, “I think I like you.”

“I know I like you.”

“I think you might be getting lucky tonight.”

“I know I’m getting lucky tonight.”

She laughed and then her expression turned serious, “I’m not…I don’t usually do this.”

“I know. And you don’t have to, either way I’m still taking you out tomorrow night.”

She pulled on his hand to indicate they where at her place and looked at him with a bright smile. “I think this is the best birthday I’ve ever had.”

“It’s your bloody birthday? How old are you?”

“25.”

“And you’re spending it with me?”

“Well technically it’s over” she said, giving her watch a glance, “but yeah.”

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“I honestly don’t know…for tonight, for listening to me, for taking such good care of my uncle…for saying you’ll see me tomorrow; for knowing the word effulgent” he added with a chuckle.

“Uncommonly used words are sexy, that’s why I know so many, there my pick up lines.”

She unlocked her door and pulled him in, “I know this is gonna’ sound strange, but would you mind making yourself comfortable while I grabbed a shower?”

“Can I make myself comfortable in your room?”

“I don’t see why not, but if you do anything kinky, like tie yourself up while I’m in there, I’m telling your uncle.”

“It’s a deal, and if you do anything kinky tonight, like try to stab me or something, I’ve got the same collateral.”

She arched a brow and led him to her bedroom, flicking on the light switch she had to smile when he threw himself onto her bed right away.

“I should be out in 15 minutes….and Spike?”

“Ya kitten?”

“there’s nothing wrong with a little blood play.”

She walked away, just knowing there would be a shocked expression on his face and suppressed a giggle, knowing he would try to figure out if she was being serious. Well, time would tell if this one stuck around.

She was past the point of caring that she was about to sleep with a guy she’d only known for half a night. She’d dated Riley for two years and Angel for three and it turned out she didn’t know them at all, so either tonight would end and she’d never see him again, sparing herself the drama of finding out someone she cared for was hurting her the whole time by cheating, or maybe, just maybe, he’d prove her wrong. That and she needed an orgasm more then she needed air right now.