Buffy hummed to herself while she applied her lip gloss, tonight she was going to wine and dine with Spike. He’d told her to wear something a little risky, that tonight was going to be them hitting the ‘punk scene’. Buffy had laughed and he’d smiled. He knew she couldn’t picture him punked out, but then, he couldn’t wait to see what her version of it was.

She’d added some red streaks (not of the permanent) to her hair and straightened it, added a multitude of eye shadow (green, blue and yellow) and went heavy with the black, smoky eyeliner. To complete her new look she’d donned her previously unworn leather pants with a pre ripped tank top. Add a thick chain necklace and a ring for every finger and she was ready.

She smiled, ‘that oughta’ do it’ she thought, feeling just a little anxious about what Spike would think.

She sat down on the couch in the living room after pouring herself a glass of wine, all the while her thoughts running rampant.

Where does the name Spike come from, why does he dislike being called William?
How can somebody in today’s world be so optimistic, why does he have to go and try to prove me wrong about men? Is it just me he wants to prove wrong or every girl…in which case that would only prove me right…
Where did he learn to do that thing with his tongue?

The bell sounded, shaking her out of her musings and she jumped up, surprised but happy to notice how excited she actually was.

When she opened the door the first thing she had to do was tell herself to play it cool, this man was sex on legs, very muscular legs…legs that were encased in too tight too hot too black jeans.

“Evening m’lady, you look fantastic.” And god did she, all he wanted to do was rip that leather of her body but he decided that half the fun was in the wanting and chose to do the gentlemanly thing instead by forcing her against the wall in a mind numbing hands groping kiss.

When he finally broke away they were both panting and flushed.

“You look hot” Buffy spat out and he laughed, leaning his forehead on hers.

“Not half as much as you do kitten, God, you’re gonna’ kill me luv’.”

“Two pet names in one sentence, I still got it.” She said with a smirk and strutted out, hips swaying.

“So where we off to tonight Spike?”

“Ever hear of a club called Rebel Yell?”

She nodded, “The one about 45 minutes out of Sunny D?”

“That’s the one, I told a friend I’d do him a favor, do you mind watching me work for a bit pet?”

“Nope, what are you going to do?”

“You’ll see” was the only answer she got as they got into his car and took off into the night.


When they got there Buffy smiled as Spike took her hand and led her to the entrance, only to be stopped by a fairly good looking black man.

“Sorry, VIP’s tonight only”

Spike smiled, god, Gunn could be an ass.

“That right mate?”

The bouncer nodded and Spike took Buffy by the hand and twirled her, earning a whistle from the black man.

“That VIP enough for you?”

Buffy was beyond embarrassed until the black man grabbed Spike in a manly bear hug and the males broke out laughing.

“Buffy, this is Charles, he prefers to be called Gunn, s’his last name, not something dangerous like he’d have you believe.”

Gunn smiled at Buffy and they shook hands, “Pleasure to meet you Buffy. All ready for the show tonight?”

Buffy smiled, “Nice to meet you too…what show?”

Gunn was about to respond when Spike patted him on the back and started to walk Buffy into the club, “Ah ah, that’s my little secret friend” he said, throwing the laughing Gunn a wink. He wondered if Buffy even knew what ‘her’ Spike was capable of when he put his mind to it.

Spike’s hand caressed the small of her back as he walked her to the bar and they ordered drinks.

When Spike saw Lorne approaching he smiled genuinely, Lorne was a fantastic friend and he was hoping to get the man’s opinion on Buffy. He'd met Lorne and Gunn on a vacation he'd taken to LA a few years back, it was actually what had started his transformation into Spike. They'd all stayed in touch over the years, both men coming down to England once in a blue moon to visit.

“Well look at you little turtle doves” came the sing song voice and Buffy looked up and smiled immediately.

The man was flamboyant, she’d give him that. A neon orange suit with a deep blue dress shirt and bright green eyes.

She stuck out her hand, “Hi, I’m Buffy, a new friend of Spike’s.”

The man took her hand and kissed it, “My friends call me Lorne, so you should too sweet pea.”

Turning to Spike he added, “She’s a doll, doll face.”

“Don’t I know it” Spike agreed.

Lorne’s attention was back on Buffy, “So tell me pudding pop, how’d you meet my William?”

“I’m a friend of his uncle Rupert’s. I ran into him at the Bronze one night, he was looking for a word to use for something he was writing, I said effulgent, next thing I knew I had a willing slave.”

Spike saw the wink she gave both men and laughed, wrapping his arm around her he added.

“Got me a spitfire I did.”, a proud smile on his face.

Lorne giggled, actually giggled, which in turn made Buffy giggle. Lorne looked at his watch, “I’ll keep the lady company, you go get ready.”

Buffy nodded her ‘okay’ to Spike and with a quick, ALMOST chaste kiss he was off and she was left alone with the over zealous man.

“So princess, who did it?”

She cocked her head, “Excuse me?”

“Who put all that big pain in your big heart?”

Buffy gasped, “I uh….”

“Too forward? You’ll have to forgive me, I’m too blunt for my own good.”

She smiled softly, “Is it that easy to tell?”

“Not unless you’re me, care to share?”

17 minutes later she was done and Lorne was almost crying, “You never deserved any of that, it’s a good thing you found Spike when you did.”

“Why’s that?”

“The path you were on was a rocky one.”

“And the path now?”

“Rocky but hopeful.”

She smiled and raised her glass to his, “To hope”

“To hope” he repeated and they toasted just as a voice came over the microphone.