Buffy sat at her computer, typing away with an almost crazed look in her eyes, and that’s how Spike found her when he woke up. She was only a few feet away from him but in her mind’s eye she was in another realm altogether.

Spike sat up in bed silently, the sheet falling low on his naked waist and smiled. Not wanting to interrupt he simply contented himself with watching the play of emotions cross over her beautiful face. He loved knowing she FELT the characters and didn’t simply create them.

When he had come down to stay with his uncle he hadn’t thought he’d meet somebody so soon, but here he was, happier than he’d been in a long time. He loved that the human race had the capability to connect in an instant, a spark really, if they chose to let it happen. She had struggled, WAS struggling to let it happen he knew, just as he knew how hard all this was for her. But it wasn’t as though it was all that easy for him either, he’d been hurt, walked on, been loves bitch and would go through it all again for the right girl if need be. Watching her, fingers dancing across the keyboard, made his own hand wish for a pen and paper, but this was her moment and he felt lucky enough to share it, so he made no sound, no movement.

Buffy’s eyes were misting as she wrote, the end of the book coming to a close, and consequently a tremulous relationship to its climatic ending. James would die to save the world, THE WORLD, simply because SHE lived in it. The words were flying from her mind to her fingers and onto the screen. An amulet, hundreds of girls across the world made like her, her once confined power set free, and pain. Sarah’s pain was Buffy’s as she read the words on the screen.

“I love you.”
“No you don’t but thanks for saying it…NOW GO!” James eyes watched her as she headed for freedom and out of sight, but it was a freedom he had given her and she’d accepted it, embraced it even…she’d let him give her a gift and that was the biggest gift she could have given him. “I wanna’ see how this ends” he managed to say through the pain as he laughed out in sadness as he began to dust.

Buffy bit back a sob and Spike decided to get out of bed at that, arms wrapping around her from behind as he leaned down to nuzzle her cheek.

“What’s the matter kitten?”
“I killed him” she sniffled out.
Spike’s eyes flicked to the screen. “James.” He stated less than questioned.
She nodded, “I killed him because he loved her. What’s the matter with me?”
Spike looked back at the screen and read the last paragraph in its entirety, “Seems like a bloody fantastic ending to me kitten. Anyone who really loved someone would do the same.”
“But…”
“No buts kitten, s’a perfect ending. Tragically romantic.”
“You think tragic equates to romantic?”
“When it has too, yes, I do. Would it have been better for Sarah to die after all the good she’s done?”
“James was good too…trying to be at least, by the end of this book he had his soul back.”
“You made James Buffy, out of the two who was most likely to survive a loss like that and go on living? Who would be strong enough to keep the other one alive through their actions?”
She smiled a watery smile and looked into Spike’s eyes, “Sarah…I made the right choice, didn’t I?”
He smiled back, “Yes.” and pressed a soft kiss to her lips. “Besides, you could always bring him back in a sequel if you wanted to.”
She giggled and he kissed her again, “Hungry?”
“Starving” she admitted.
“Good, me too, let’s get dressed and go grab old Rupes’ for some breakfast.”
“Sure, let me print this first, Giles always reads my finished product before anyone else, I’ll print one for you too if you want.” she added shyly.
“Fuck, that would be amazing Buffy, I’ve been waiting months for this book”
“You really do read my work don’t you?”
He nodded, “I love your work, and it’s as brilliant as you are.”
She blushed, “Well, how about I meet you at the bar then, you can get some clean clothes on and grab some extra ones for the next time you stay over.”
“Hmmm and when may that be?”
“I was thinking tonight if you wanted, have a little get together with you and my friends to celebrate the end of this book…”
“Sounds fantastic. So I’ll see you at Rupes in about an hour?”
“Yup” she smiled and gave him a lingering kiss before shoving him out the door and running up the stairs and into the shower.




“Well well, look who’s gracing me with his presence today” Giles teased.
“Ya, well, had to see about a girl.”
“Isn’t that always the case?”
“I suppose it is Rupes” he answered with a smile. “Buffy’s gonna’ meet us in about 45 minutes for a breakfast outing, sound good?”
“It certainly does, so long as you don’t mind sharing your girl with me.”
Spike laughed, “Gotta’ say, I love the sound of that. She’s been hurt though, gotta’ go gently with this one.” Giles saw the faraway look on his nephew’s face and placed a pen and paper in front of him, earning a mumbled ‘thanks old man’, his hand scribbling furiously,

‘The first time you’re kissed the last time, can pierce you to the core
And leave you shaking
And sobbing
Locked alone behind closed doors
And the first time you feel your heart ache
Is a wonder in itself
Cuz’ if the heart is just a symbol
then how can it break?'
He looked it over and smiled, it was rusty, but he would work on it. Maybe he’d even try out a few chords on his guitar to put a rhythm to it. And then if he could find the guts to do so, he'd put a voice to it, and sing it for her. It somehow seemed more daunting, the idea of singing something for her and to her, instead of just singing borrowed lyrics from other artists. But if she was anything, it was worth it.