Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks for the support guys, it's incredible to know my writing makes some people happy, so, kisses :)
Buffy smiled at Giles over her pancakes, "So, when am i going to hear all about this new woman of yours?" she asked bluntly.
Giles coughed, nearly spraying her with his water but narrowly missing.

Spike laughed and Buffy giggled while the older man turned red.

"Well I...i think you would like her very much Buffy."

"That's good, you only deserve the best and i won't let you settle for less, you know that. So, when do i meet her?"

"Wait a tic, you got a lady friend old man?" Spike tried to interrupt but there was no coming between his uncle and his girl, god he loved the sound of that, and their catch up fest.

"I was hoping that if you and William -"
"Spike" Spike interjected.
"were free tonight you might join us for dinner?"

"That sounds perfect, dressy or casual?"

Giles smiled, "Dressy."

He had anticipated Buffy's squeal of delight but it had shocked Spike, who just looked wordlessly at his uncle, who mouthed 'shopping' to the younger man.

Spike looked over at Buffy and smiled, god she was adorable.

"I take it you need a new dress kitten?"

She nodded her head, "When Giles says dressy he means dress like you're meeting the queen, and that means i get to exercise my god given right as an American woman to break my bank by buying a ridiculously expensive dress that i'll hang in the closet and forget all about by the next day."

"Um, ok..."

Giles patted Spike on the shoulders, "You'll get used to it, don't worry."

Buffy just laughed and continued to eat and chat with Giles about this Jenny girl. She hadn’t expected a 30 minute lecture on the Romany tribe the woman had come from, or a 10 minute talk about the girls’ favorite perfume, but it was nice to see Giles so animated about something.

When breakfast was paid for and they were all standing outside the small diner Buffy said bye to the men, Spike had offered to go shopping with her but Giles had placed his hand on his nephews shoulders saying only “Trust me, don’t”. Buffy had laughed and told the men this was a ‘her and Willow thing’ anyway. Before she got into her car Giles wrapped his arms around her and whispered Le Queue Cheval, one of the most expensive restaurants in California, while Spike waved at her over Giles shoulders.

Buffy started her car and whistled, Le Queue Cheval…she needed a dress to kill for. She speed dialed Willow, “Wills? It’s me. I need a dress.”

“Occasion?”

“Le Queue Cheval”

“I’ll meet you in the food court in twenty minutes.”

“You’re the best Wills.” Buffy hung up with a smile; it was good to have a good friend, of the female variety, to depend on. And with Willows help, she was bound to pick the right dress to make Spike swoon.


The girls strolled through the rows and rows of dresses, picking up several to hand to the snooty sales girl when one caught their eye at the same time. A blood red, deep and rich looking, strapless gown that hugged the mannequins frame until 6 inches down the thigh, were it then flared just a little.

“Buffy…”
“I know Wills, I know.”

The sales girl rolled her eyes and took it off the mannequin, “This is the only one left, its two thousand dollars, I doubt it’s in your range miss.”

Willow laughed at the woman’s attitude as Buffy smirked and walked into the dressing room, “She makes 5 times that at a single convention when she’s been asked to speak to fans.”

The woman gasped, now interested, “Who is she?”

“My best friend and none of your business, I’ll be sure to tell the manager of you’re more than inappropriate assumptions and attitude.”

The girl blanched and walked away to help another customer and Buffy walked out in the red dress.

“Oh my goddess” Willow breathed, “Buffy that dress was made for you!”

Buffy smiled excitedly, “I’m not even going to try the others on, this is the one for me. Do you think Spike will like it?”
“Buffy, there’s not a single person who wouldn’t. It’s going to make him crazy.”

Buffy smiled, “Thanks. I’ll be out in a moment” she said and went to change back into her regular clothes. She needed to pick up a pair of shoes and a purse, and then she needed to get home to get ready, she wanted to look absolutely perfect tonight. Her and Spike’s first date had most definitely been fun and he’d gotten to see her more wild side and she his, but she was dying to show him she cleaned up rather nicely and had the sneaking suspicion that he did too.

She paused to look in the mirror before making her way to the cash. Her skin seemed different somehow, brighter and maybe it was her imagination but she was pretty sure that the small smile playing on her lips had been there since she’d met him.

“It’s not your imagination Buffy” Willow said and stepped next to Buffy. “There’s something different about you.”

“Was I speaking out loud Wills?”

The redhead smiled, “No, but I’ve known you for a long time, I know how you think.”

Buffy paid for the dress while Willow complained to the manager about Harmony Kendell, the woman who had been ‘helping’ them.

They hit the jewelry store next, an unexpected stop but Buffy’s eye had been caught by an elaborate Indian styled ruby necklace and matching earrings, she decided to go with a black clutch and heels to offset all the red, the end result: fantastic as voted by Willow and with no amount of modesty, herself.

By the time she was home and showered she had 45 minutes to get ready, so while she applied some smoky eyeliner and lip gloss and pulling her curled hair into a loose updo so that some of the curls framed her face she let her mind wander to the two manuscripts she’d left with Spike and Giles, wondering if either had had the time to start it.

With a quick look in the mirror she walked down the stairs when the bell rang, took a deep breath and opened the door.