Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: I don’t make any money from this, just like making the Spuffy world a little nicer. Any quotes taken from the show are with the understanding of the readers, that they are used to assign a point of reference or are an attempt to keep canon. No plagiarism is meant.

**Regular text = quotes, Italic text = a person’s thoughts

A/N: Thank you DAWNOFME for the beta-ing – helpful and wonderful as always.
Chapter 7: To Make a Mockery Part II



Finally acknowledging her, Rawlings gave her a look that promised such dark deeds. “Yes, Mrs. Fairfax. It would seem that phase one is complete.” Rawlings then tipped his head back and laughed.

What a sound it was. Mrs. Fairfax could only sigh in response.



***



Five Days Prior…

Giggling softy to herself, Buffy spared only a glance at William’s quizzically raised brow. She was so deliriously happy. She had him back in her life and no one was going to stop her from loving him this time around.

It had been a week since their first kiss, and Buffy couldn’t help but float on a cloud.

Granted, she and William had yet to share another quite moment alone. Regardless, she was in his presence and that was all she ever wanted.

The two of them sat in the Rawlings estate, trying not to let the dreary London rain affect the mood of the interior. The weather had been surprisingly congenial toward the California native, not raining too terribly hard. Today, however, proved the exception. The rain came down in torrents, attempting to make everything awash with the despondency of the weather’s brutality.

Yet the inside of the home was filled with warmth, as the budding young couple laughed at the secret jokes that lovers alone know and enjoyed the momentary solitude brought on by the sudden thirst expressed by Mrs. Fairfax.

Buffy looked at William once again, amused at the steady look of concentration upon his face as he read his poetry anthology. She was constantly amazed by the way he studied each passage and found layers upon layers of meaning in each turn of phrase. It enthralled her. Watching him read poetry was much more fun than reading it herself.

As though William felt the heat of her gaze, he raised his eyes above the perimeter of his book and took her in. She always felt as though he would absorb her with his love.

Feeling mischievous, Buffy winked at him, wagged her eyebrows, and glanced over at a little alcove created by the imperfect joining of two armoires. Finally getting her meaning across, William refused with a warmth coloring his cheekbones. Buffy was glad; it seemed that he had been blushing less and less in her presence. She didn’t know what she would do if he lost all of his bashfulness.

Chuckling slightly at his continual refusal to join her, Buffy offered her own brand of sarcasm.

“You’re not afraid I’ll give you cooties, are you, William?” she asked with a smirk.

“I’m n-not quite sure what it is that you are im-implying that you will give me,…but I am heartedly confident that you will not. Besides, dear heart, it would be highly improper. Especially if Mrs. Fairfax were to return in an untimely manner.”

Slightly astonished at the way that he seemed to put her in her place, Buffy was about to object to his treatment of her, or at least inquire what was wrong, when Mrs. Fairfax returned with her tea.

Despite her befuddlement, Buffy still had enough sense to move slyly back to her previous position on the settee. Anytime Mrs. Fairfax left them alone, one of them unconsciously managed to move closer to the other. It had been Buffy’s turn this time.

Mrs. Fairfax lumbered back into the room, cup of tea precariously held in her gnarled hands. The briefest of smiles graced her features, turning her demeanor into that of a kindly grandmother rather than that of a disapproving elder. However, upon seeing her two charges glance at her, one by payment, and the other by proxy, her grin faltered, and she sat down on her chair, ignoring the room’s occupants.

Attempting to return to her previous question, Buffy began to ask what had happened to William when he interrupted.

“I’m afraid that I’m going to have to go out of town for a few days,” William announced rather quietly, seemingly unsure of his words’ reception. His hands fidgeted uncomfortably in his lap, plucking at imaginary lint and rubbing out the crease in his trousers.

“You’re leaving?” Buffy asked with a frown, hands unconsciously mimicking the restless state of her companion.

“Yes, unfortunately, I have to take care of a few business affairs,” He added quietly, under his breath, “I hope to not be gone from you long.” At this, color returned to his cheeks.

Internally jumping up and down at his softly voiced confession, Buffy unthinkingly asked what kind of business he had.

Somewhat taken aback by such a question from his female companion, William haltingly explained that he needed to check up on some older family accounts.

Satisfied with his answer, her lower lip jutted out petulantly as she realized that this trip also meant that he would be away from her for seven whole days. “Can you come home earlier?”

“Perhaps, if everything is readily in order. I wouldn’t plan for it,” he stated regretfully, taking her hand in his own. Gently rubbing the pad of his thumb over the smooth skin of her hand, he found an outlet to his continual fidgeting.

Perking up at her sudden thought, she said, “Well, alright. But only if you promise to come straight here when you get back –”

“Buffy –”

“Nope. Straight here when you get back. And no buts, mister,” she ended impishly, slyly moving closer to him so as not to alert Mrs. Fairfax of her movements.

Not realizing how desperate she sounded, Buffy tried once again to get him to stay, or at least shorten his trip. “But a week is like forever.”

“I know. It will be most long, but don’t worry; if we think of one another often, the time will pass more quickly.” William tired to comfort her as much as possible. His compassionate words might have had a better affect, however, if it appeared as though he too believed in them.

Observing how little his words had helped the situation, William offered, “Please, let us speak of more pleasant things. A week will come and go quite quickly.”

It was lost on neither of them how connected they had become. So much so, that a week’s time seemed an eternity to them. While they were saddened at the prospect of being without one another, a part of each of them warmed at the thought that they were so saddened. Obviously, their emotions ran deep.

“I guess,” was all that Buffy could manage.

“The Underwood Ball is coming up soon. That promises to be a pleasant affair.”

“Pleasant! How can you say that anything to do with the Underwoods would be pleasant?” Buffy exclaimed, waving her hands about in indignation. However, she soon regretted her hasty remark as she realized that she had unconsciously reminded him of that rather lackluster night.

“You mean the best night of my life?” William managed without a blush and with a certain earnestness that gave Buffy pause.

“B-Best night of your life? But how? I mean…” Buffy began, until it dawned on her that he wished to pay her a compliment. “Oh, well, it was a rather delightful night, wasn’t it, Will?” she ended with a smile that she knew would make him somewhat weak in the knees.

“Indeed it was,” he said, returning to his favorite pass time of staring into her jade eyes.

Lost in the moment, they jumped at the chiming of the afternoon hour.

“Oh, I didn’t realize it was so late,” William said regretfully. “I really must take my leave of you. I only wanted to stop by and see you before I left.”

Rising and making short work of the distance between them, he offered a hand to help her from the settee. She loved it when he took her hand. It was something that she had never allowed him in the past. Always too afraid that one of her friends would see and too afraid that their relationship would mean something.

“Would you be so kind as to see me to the door, pet?” He added the last quietly, so as not to alert the surprisingly awake chaperon.

“Of course, kind sir,” Buffy responded coquettishly, giving his hand a warm squeeze.

Giggling, the two made it out into the landing, both fully aware that they were still under the watchful eyes of Mrs. Fairfax. William discreetly pulled Buffy’s hand to rest against his heart. “I won’t be gone from you long,” he whispered in promise, telling her without words that his heart beat for her alone.

“I know,” she replied with a suspicious sniffle, only to brighten when she felt William slide a folded piece of paper into her other hand. He always knew how to make her feel better.

His eyes seemed to twinkle in amusement as she slowly hid the note into her dress pocket.

Earning a glare from Mrs. Fairfax for the length of their goodbye, William further aggravated the woman as he reached down and kissed Buffy’s hand before departing for the day and the week.

With a romantic sigh, Buffy flounced back into the sitting room and sat there dreamily whilst patting the note concealed in her dress. She would read it after the others had gone to bed, there would be no interruptions then. She could read his, what she assumed was a poem, repeatedly without risk of being observed.


***



It is a shame, really. Mrs. Fairfax thought. What roles we play in the affairs of others.

She couldn’t believe how thoroughly terrible her situation at the Rawlings estate had become. She desperately wanted to leave his employment, but she had no other options available to her. A woman of her age had to take advantage of the slim opportunities available.

Despite what one’s heart may tell you.

Thus, she agreed to Rawlings’s dastardly deeds and ignored the part of her that wished the young Mr. Pratt and Miss Elizabeth all the luck they deserved. It seemed that while Rawlings did not yet know of Mr. Pratt’s financial standing, he wanted to plant a few seeds of doubt so that the couple could easily be broken apart, if necessary.

However, it had unfortunately fallen to her to be the metaphorical gardener.

Or else.

Hearing the young girl sigh once again, “You know, Miss Elizabeth, I really think that you shouldn’t put all of your faith in the young William.” She tried to offer casually. Subterfuge was never her forte.

Upon seeing that she had the girl’s attention, she said, “I mean, the hearts of young men are so easily swayed.”

“Not William’s,” Buffy hastily responded.

“Are you sure, dear? You are not yet so far into your courtship that a man would not yet choose to find someone to…oh how shall I say it?”

Pretending that Master Rawlings had not coached this conversation, Mrs. Fairfax paused for dramatics, and then continued, “Men require certain things that a young girl such as yourself would not yet know about. He would dare not risk taking such privileges with you. He’ll be off with some trollop and, well, with him being out of London, he might even forget all about you, dear. Probably will.”

Mrs. Fairfax leaned forward in her chair and faux whispered, as if she was keeping a great secret for Buffy, “He may write you words from his heart now, but it is merely a pass time to keep you fawning over him. He’ll write pretty words for someone else before you know it.”

Seeing the bumbling outrage Buffy presented to her, Mrs. Fairfax continued despite how much it twisted her own heart, “And you know, child, I’m not quite sure what it is like in America, but even after marriage, you should continue to expect such…trips from time to time. Men have no concern for a woman’s heart.”

“Not William,” Buffy stated indigently. “He’s a better man than that. And he loves me.”

“Love! Is that what he told you? That is the truest sign that he has no feelings for you. If he actually loved you then he would have made an official announcement to the public. Instead, the two of you skulk in shadows, trading visits to one another’s home. That is not the proper way to admit one’s love. You are simply a passing fancy.”

“William loves me. He’s not like the other men of this time. He’s so caring and-and, just not like that. And I don’t think you should speak to me like that anymore. Not if you want to stay in Rawlings’s employment.”

Smiling a secret smile at the young girl who did not know just how wrong she was, the old woman said, “No, dear, my employment will not be in jeopardy because of my words today. Master Rawlings understands the way of the world. He understands all to well.”

Seeing the confusion marring the young girl’s face, Mrs. Fairfax attempted to emphasize the discontent a young man’s heart often feels.

“William is quite old to have not yet married. Granted, older men than he have wed, but knowing William’s place in society, I sincerely doubt that he would be of good marriageable stock for a young maiden such as yourself. The only thing left for such a man to do is to have his pick of the woman he can have and then move on. Surely that makes the most sense, don’t you agree?”

“I-I don’t know. I mean, no. He loves me and that is final. Good day Mrs. Fairfax. William has left for the week and I sincerely doubt that we will need your immediate services.”

“Dear, I was only trying to help –”

“Go Away!” Buffy said as she left the room and practically flew up the stairs.

“Poor dear,” Mrs. Fairfax said to herself, “Poor her; poor me! God will never forgive my transgressions. But what other choice do I have?”

Mrs. Fairfax lumbered to her feet and made her way to Rawlings’s office to report her supposed triumphs.


***



Buffy’s robust entrance broke the quiet solitude of her room. The paintings on the walls shook with the force of her slammed door and two of her perfume bottles, delicately placed on her vanity, toppled over in silent testimony to the blonde’s anger.

The Slayer’s quick reflexes and the good quality of the perfume stoppers held the liquid at bay and worked slightly to calm the raging inferno Mrs. Fairfax’s words had caused.

Although, only slightly.

“What does that old woman know anyway,” Buffy stormed about her room, trying to get Mrs. Fairfax’s words out of her mind. “It’s not like she even knows William. I mean, all she does is fall asleep the moment she begins ‘chaperoning’ us. Well, I guess that’s not so true anymore…maybe we’re growing on her.” Buffy shrugged her shoulders in a helpless response to the woman’s behavior.

However, thinking back on the woman’s words gave Buffy pause. Men were different in this time and so were women, in fact. She had to compete with the whole angel in the household mentality and the fact that men would keep business decisions, and well, all decisions away from their wives. Maybe Mrs. Fairfax wasn’t so far off base after all.

“No, Will would never do that,” Buffy said once again to the quiet room. Another thought struck, causing her to slowly sink down onto the chair beside her vanity. “But, then, there was…Anya?”

Buffy remembered how much that had hurt to see him and Anya in the Magic Box, to see her legs wrapped about him, to see him – with someone else.

It had broken her heart anew.

The heart she had thought she no longer possessed.

It had been cracked, irreparable.

And the onslaught of the two of them had done nothing to mend the tattered pieces.

The image of the two of them began to replay in Buffy’s mind, over and over again, in a continuous circle. The sounds that she made, the sounds that he made. Sounds that Buffy had thought were for her alone. Instead were created by any pleasure brought to his person.

Anya’s legs wrapped around him.

Cracked, irreparable.

“No!” she said aloud. That was a different time, a different situation. We moved past that, beyond that. We technically weren’t together anyway.

The question of whether they were even together now floated out of her subconscious before Buffy could stop it. Mrs. Fairfax did say that he hadn’t spoken for me, per se. We only really meet in each other’s houses. What if…

No.

It wasn’t possible.

Buffy didn’t know what the crazy old bat was trying to do by saying William was going to be or hadn’t been faithful to her, but she wasn’t going to let it affect her.

She loved him and he loved her, and that was all there was to it.

But, Parker…he got what he wanted, and then, look what happened. Okay, Parker was a-a poop-head, but still, same principle, right?

No.

Gah! I’m going crazy as Dru ever was. Got to get this out of my head. William would never do that to me and that whole thing with Anya was just a special circumstance. We weren’t technically together. Besides, he’s like the epitome of virginal in this time period. He just wouldn’t.

Anya’s legs wrapped around him.

Books crashing to the floor.

His growing moans of pleasure.

Her shirt landing in a bundled heap.

Just days after they broke up. No apology.

Maybe it was the same after all.


***



Four Days Prior…

“I see,” Rawlings said with a glower. “No, no. Nothing to do with you. I just had expected more. Thank you for your time.” Rawlings sat back down at his desk chair, effectively ending the conversation with his younger associate. The man turned to leave, more than used to the brusque way that Rawlings conducted business.

As it turned out, the Pratt family was not as financially secure as Rawlings had suspected. Even though he desperately wanted to get Elizabeth out of his house, he still wanted to make a profit off her.

Far more sizable than what the Pratts could offer.

Turning back to observe the now empty room, he let off a sigh. Oh how he didn’t want to deal with the machinations of the young, or rather the un-machinations.

He really just didn’t care.

It was all such a bore.

However, now it would seem that he would have to care, just a little. Especially since the Pratt boy had gone off on his little business trip.

It was now the time to really strike. If he could plan this bloody thing out correctly, he could make Elizabeth unknowingly break off the relationship and no one would be the wiser about his involvement.

Perhaps even make it seem like it was her idea.

After all, it had been more than proven that Mrs. Fairfax was reliable. She had passed her test yesterday swimmingly. Rawlings had heard the slammed door that proceeded Fairfax’s entrance to his office. Even though he had not known of the Pratt finances, he had wanted to make sure that he had an ace in his pocket, so to speak. Fairfax was clearly reliable and his young charge was clearly so uncertain of her beau’s affections that she could be swayed by the old woman.

So, yes, make it think it was her idea to break off their relationship.

If his temper didn’t get a hold of him. She was fairly stubborn.

His young charge must have been upset about something. Perhaps William had even done something to upset her. He must, to have caused such a violent reaction from the girl.

Even though Fairfax was in the room with them, her hearing wasn’t as good as it could have been. She could have missed some aspect of the conversation.

Anyway, what’s done is done.

Now all he had to do was move a few more pawn pieces, before declaring mate.



***



Three Days Prior…

Buffy paced outside of Rawlings’s study. He had left word with their cook that he wished to see Elizabeth sometime before supper. She had delayed going to this meeting all day.

Besides, ten minutes before supper was still before.

Technically.

Even though Rawlings was rather irrelevant to her life, he still could create some significant roadblocks for her.

Thus, she worried when he summoned her. Ordinary, she only saw him in passing; the odd occasion when they walked by each other in the long halls of his home.

Gathering her courage, she knocked on the door. The hallow knock far more poignant than Buffy had yet to realize. “Uncle, are you in here?”

“Yes, Elizabeth. Come in here and shut the door. There is something that we need to discuss.” Rawlings sat perched on the corner of his enormous desk, his left leg, straight, supporting his weight on the floor, and his right leg was hitched over the corner, swinging slightly.

If Buffy had found him like this at any other time, she would have thought that he looked almost at peace in his home. As it was, his nonchalant air made her slayer senses kick in.

Discuss? “What’s that?”

“It’s about you and the young Mr. Pratt. ” He paused at seeing her rather pronounced gulp. “Are the two of you getting on well?” He lowered his crossed arms to fold his hands gently in his lap, appearing deceitfully unobtrusive.

“Y-yes. I mean, yes. The two of us are very agreeable to one another.” Ug! What now? First Fairfax and now Rawlings? Why does everyone care about who I date? Buffy took the seat that Rawlings had gestured her. Sitting down, she smoothed out the ruffles in her dress, trying to pretend she wasn’t nervous.

“Mmmm. I’m sorry to hear that.” Rawlings stoked the short length of his goatee, his voice, the sound of innocence.

“Sorry?” Buffy’s head snapped up.

Clearing his throat, he said, “Yes, I was hoping that the two of you had yet to become… too attached.” He paused dramatically. “I feel that he is not a good match for you.” Rawlings plastered on the most concerned look that he could muster.

“Why?” was all the young girl could manage, fingernails digging into her palms.

“Nothing that you need to worry your pretty little head about, dear –”

“I think I have the right to know.”

“Stop it, child,” he said, rising from his desk to make himself taller in her presence. “You’ll not take that tone of voice with me. You’ll stop seeing Mr. Pratt immediately.” He turned around as if to close the subject.

“You can’t make me do that,” she replied, chin jutted out in defiance.

Realizing that this approach was getting him nowhere, Rawlings came closer and settled down on the hassock at Buffy’s feet. Trying a different approach, he said, “Elizabeth, I feel that his attentions are not in your best interest.” Seeing that she was about to protest again, he emphasized, “And, your mother would not approve. She would want you well cared for.”

“Mother,” Buffy choked out with a barely concealed sob, “would like him.” Buffy added quietly under her breath, “Always liked him, even when I didn’t.”

“What was that?” Rawlings asked with a finely arched brow.

“Nothing,” she mumbled.

“I should hope not. It isn’t beneath me to forbid the privileges you’ve enjoyed in this house. I feel I’ve rather let you run a muck.”

“I don’t care what privileges you take from me; I won’t break off my relationship with
William.” Buffy stood and it was her turn to present her back to the conversation.

Quickly losing his temper, Rawlings swung her back around and grasped her upper arms. “You do know of course, dear, that those privileges would include the right to accept male callers or the ability to leave the house without my permission.” He shook her briefly as if to physically extract the correct response.

“I could climb out a window!” she finally responded to his grip that was just this side of painful. “Then you couldn’t stop me.”

“THAT’S IT!” Rawlings spat out, dropping his hands, “You are forbidden to be in a relationship with him. The next time that you see him you will break it off.”

“You can’t make me.” Buffy resisted the urge to stomp her foot.

Raising a hand as if to strike her, Rawlings visibly reigned in his mounting anger, dropped his hand, and said, “If you don’t do as I have asked of you, I will tell all of London what a scoundrel your Mr. Pratt really is. I am highly respected in the community, and no one will fault my word.”

Realizing that Buffy was about to respond again, Rawlings continued, “And that would ruin him.” Buffy’s face fell and Rawlings knew he had won. “When I looked into his financial background, it was obvious that he and his mother are just holding on. One word from me and no one would back him on any ventures.”

Buffy nodded slowly in acceptance, holding her tears at bay. She would not give this man the satisfaction.

“You will make your rejection of him clean, clear, and in public,” his tone daring her to protest.

She dared.

“Public! No I can’t –”

“In public,” Rawlings’s voiced lorded over hers, “His humiliation must match that of what happened between him and the young Miss Underwood. So he will not try to reclaim you, so his pride will not allow it.”

“What am I supposed to say?” Buffy queried with a dejected slump. Any of the light that had returned to her eyes after her reunion with Spike petered out and died.


***



Upset could not even begin to describe how William was feeling. His business trip had been cancelled. This meant that he would return home only to say goodbye to Buffy again. While he was delighted at seeing her again, he didn’t think his heart could take another goodbye like the one they’d shared yesterday.

His trip had been halted a day out. Just as he was finding lodging for the night, word reached him that the extremely brutal weather had washed out the bridge and an alternate route would add far too many days to his journey. At first light the next day, he had set back out for home.

And to her.

He would go straight to her home and beg an audience with her. Hopefully Mrs. Fairfax wouldn’t be there and he could spend a quiet moment with his ladylove.

Perhaps steal a kiss or two.

It had been far too long since he had felt the velvet heat of her kiss, far too long since he’d encompassed her delicate hand in his own, and far too long since he’d bathed in the glory of her presence, enjoyed the musical sound of her laugh.

Far too long.

It was late in the day when he finally arrived at the Rawlings’s estate. Normally William would not think to present himself to Buffy without a proper announcement, but he did have strict orders from her to come straight home to her upon his return.

He bounded up the front walk and was admitted entrance by the Rawlings butler, Roland, a great old chap who’d taken an immediate liking to William. Roland let William in without question, and pointed in Miss Elizabeth’s general direction. He let William continue inside, unescorted. Roland did warn him, however, that Master Rawlings and Miss Elizabeth were in conference, so it would be best for him to wait before knocking on the study door.

Nodding his head in thanks, William proceeded with a bounce in his step.

He had a girl to see.

His girl.


***



“You will fashion your rejection on that of Miss Underwood’s wonderful words,” seeing Buffy’s look, “Yes, I’m well aware of what went on that evening. Now, proceed.”

“You’re beneath me.”

“Do try for a little more conviction, dear,” Rawlings offered in his most patronizing tone. Now that he was getting what he wanted, he felt no need to continue with his practiced compassion from earlier.

Gathering courage and imagining that she was speaking to Rawlings rather than rehearsing her torment for William, Buffy began.

“I hate you.”

“Somehow I think you’re coming on too strong. Think of some good things, and then I’ll coach you on how to make it a fabulous rejection,” he said in a tone of voice that one could misconstrue as a sneer, if it not for that time period and Buffy’s notion of Victorian propriety.

“I violently dislike you.”

“That could work, but I don’t think that ‘violently’ is very good verbiage. Might give the people the wrong idea about you. Try another,” Rawlings replied, completely missing the fact that Buffy was directing her comments toward him and not practicing her ‘break up’ speech.

Finally losing her own temper, Buffy jumped out of her chair and shouted, “What am I supposed to say to him, huh? Am I supposed to tell him that his feelings for me mean nothing? That I don’t love him? That the moments we’ve spent together have been revolting for me, that I only continued to see him out of pity?”

“Should I tell him that he's worthless, that his poetry’s bad, and that he’s not good enough?” Buffy raged at Rawlings.

“Yes, dear, that should work in order to get you out of the unseemly relationship,” Rawlings said, dismissively waving his hand, having become bored in the middle of her rant.

He’d have to write her out a script later. Mrs. Fairfax had performed hers so well.

Buffy, unbelieving of the man’s utter audacity, turned and fled out of the room, her hasty actions so jerky and uncoordinated that to the unfocused eye looked to be more angry than distraught.

As she ran up the stairs at slayer speed, she never noticed William in the background, silent tears running down his face, having heard her shouted revulsion.

William left the estate without a word, traveled the slight bit to his own home, climbed the stairs to his room, and locked himself in.

He always knew he wasn’t good enough for her.

And now, she knew it too.


***



Present Day…

Walking into Rawlings’s study, Mrs. Fairfax looked at him in apprehension. He sat in his chair, looking like a veritable king, waiting for his subject to appear.

And in a way, he was.

“You called for me, Sir?”

Finally acknowledging her, Rawlings gave her a look that promised such dark deeds. “Yes, Mrs. Fairfax. It would seem that phase one is complete.” Rawlings then tipped his head back and laughed.

What a sound it was. Mrs. Fairfax could only sigh in response.


Chapter End Notes:
A/N: I’m terribly sorry for the such the delay between posts. I’m a horrible person…especially when there was such a confusing cliffhanger. I promise to be better! Thanks so much for sticking with the story and I hope you all are enjoying it still. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!