An hour later they were down the street from the Magic Box. Spike had somehow managed to stay in the shadows of the alleyways during the middle of the day, which was no easy feat. Buffy was actually amused by this. Spike was disgusted, but glad to make her smile. When they reached the door to the shop, Spike stopped. Buffy was about to open the door when she realized his hand was not following. She turned to him confused.

“They are here. All of them.”

“Yes. And?”

Spike just looked at their clasped hands. Buffy’s brow furrowed.

“Get over it, I love you” She said as she opened the door and didn’t let go of him as she walked in. He was being more insecure than she ever could have imagined, and in some weird way it was endearing.

Everyone was around the table having a conversation of sorts. Anya was at the register, Xander was sitting with Willow and Tara. Giles was not in sight but had to be there.

“Hey Buffy. So whats this all…about…” Xander said. “Spike, how many times does Buffy have to tell you there is no…” He was cut off by the sight of Buffy pulling Spike down for a kiss.

Spike just smiled and enjoyed the awkward moment afterwards. Buffy acted like nothing had happened.

“Anyway, I asked you guys to come here so that I could tell you what the plan is. Last night Angelus, Darla, and Drusilla attacked us. They are trying to kill me, open the Hell mouth, and make Spike evil again. I don’t like the sound of any of that, so we’re gunna stop them. Questions?”

Everyone just sort of starred at her. Willow broke the silence. “I thought Darla was dead. I mean, dusty.”

“When did Angel turn back into Angelus?” Tara spoke up.

“I am sorry, did anyone else just see that?” Xander yelled.

“See what?” Giles asked as he walked from the training room into the store.

“Spike kissed Buffy.”

“Oh, alright.” Giles offered.

“Alright? Alright! Last time I checked, that’s not alright!” Xander was livid.

“What’s not alright about that?” Anya asked mater-of-factly.

“It’s not like we didn’t see it coming. She didn’t hit him, she is smiling. In fact, I think she kissed him. I would say that’s alright.”

Buffy appreciated Anya more in this moment than she had in the past year. Spike just leaned against the counter and waited for some sort of reaction from the group. Xander started over towards the couple, digging a stake out of his jacket. Buffy simply grabbed his wrist and twisted it behind his back. When he dropped the stake she pushed him to the other side of the room.

“Listen Xander. No one else has a problem with this. I expected you to but you have to understand something. I love him. You mess with him, you are messing with me. That goes for everyone. Got it?”

“Buffy are you listening to yourself? This is Evil Dead boy, Fang Breath. Buffy you just kissed Spike!”

“Yeah, Xander. That’s what some people do when they love somebody.”

“Love? LOVE? Buffy! Whats wrong with you?”

Buffy actually calmed down at that. “Nothing Xander. I finally stopped thinking with my head and started listening to my heart. Love isn’t perfect, I don’t even know how to define it. But at the end of every day, I want Spike. And if that’s too much for you to handle than you can just go screw yourself Xander!”

Everyone in the room stared at Xander to see if there would be some sort of explosion. Spike was tense and ready for the worst case scenario, while Buffy waited impatiently for some sort of response.

Xander took a seat next to Anya. “So how are we going to stop the three evil stooges?”

Buffy and Spike just exchanged glances.

“Well,” Buffy stated, “We already decided it would be best to use us as bait. Drusilla wants Spike back and evil again. Angelus wants me dead. I figure if one of us is alone for a little while someone is going to try to get to us.”

“Okay so that’s who. Now what, when, and where?” Dawn asked as she walked into the shop.

“Dawn I was hoping you would be okay with staying at Tara’s till we had this over with.” Buffy addressed her sister.

“That’s fine, it doesn’t mean I can’t know the plan though.” Dawn hopped up onto the counter.

“Right then lil bit’s in on the destroying of the Sire.” Spike chuckled.

“I figure I have a right to know if I am about to lose one of you again. Gives me an idea of who to ask for rides to places, money, homework non-help… things like that.”
Buffy was a little irritated at that, but decided to let it slide. The girl had some sort of backwards point.

“I think Spike should be the shark bait.” Xander added.

“Xander-“

“No, hear me out. Spike has less of a chance of getting dead in a situation like this. All he has to do is play nice with the ex then we have the upper hand.”

They were all silent for a moment.

“Well maybe we should do some research… I mean we don’t know everything about Darla….” Willow put in.

“You’re right Red, we don’t.” Spike spoke up.

“Babe, you gotta know something. You spent so much time with them.”

“Not exactly. She and Angelus were together for quite a time before he started torturing Dru. And it was still some time after that when I was turned. Even when it was the four of us, she and I never had any reason to be around each other. She is smart, more evil than Angelus by a long shot.”

“Okay, then let’s just find whatever we can about her. Maybe the Watcher’s diaries?”

“I’ll fetch them” Giles said.

After that the Scoobies started discussing whatever was going on that week with each other. Spike stepped outside for a cigarette and Buffy soon followed.

“What?” Buffy demanded.

“What do you mean ‘what’?”

“You’re holding back. You know something about them.”

Spike took a long drag. “Something isn’t right Buffy. It would be one thing if it were just the Poof, another if it were Dru. It’s bothering me that Darla is back, the Powers wouldn’t do that unless something big was supposed to happen. As much as I hate it, we have to play along.”

“They’re not going to win.”

“I know. I just wonder what’s to come of it.”

“You’re really thinking about this aren’t you?”

“All I know right now is, we have a way to get to Angelus, that’s you. We have a way to get to Dru, that’s me. But the only way to get to Darla is through both of them, if she decides to care about them at all.” Spike lit another cigarette.

They were silent for a moment. Both lost in thought.

“What do you want to do?”

Spike nodded his head. “I am going to have to get the girls away from Angelus, and you are going to have to kill him. With Darla back, leaving him alive just makes everything more dangerous. Can you do it?”

“Yes. Can you convince both girls to get away from him for a while?”

“There is more than one way to distract women… I think I can manage. You are going to need the witches and the old man.”

“You are going to need a protection spell of some sort.”

“I need you to do something for me”