Spike kicked over what used to be the welcome sign for Sunnydale High. He could not believe he had to go deal with the bane of his existence again. He could already hear Dru’s crazy cackling echo through the hallways of the school.

Of all the places he didn’t expect to find them, or himself, they were in the library.

“Spiiike, has he come to play? I’ve brought my dollies Spike, they’ve missed you so.” Drusilla danced around when he came in. She made his skin crawl and the chip in his brain seemed to twitch. Maybe he was imaging it.

Angelus came in from Rupert’s old office. He looked Spike up and down before coming out from around the counter.

“So Spike, decide you want to be a family again?”
Angelus’ words dripped from his mouth like poison.

“Something like that.”

“I don’t believe it. You smell like Slayer.” Angelus leaned against the counter and crossed his arms. “You were in her home, you threatened me. Why should I believe for one second that you would want to come home?”

Spike glared back at his grandsire. As far as he was concerned Angelus had no right to even mention Buffy.

“She betrayed me. She found out you were back because the birds were flying around my crypt. She figured I helped bring them here and tried to kill me. See for yourself.” Spike unbuttoned his shirt to reveal a deep stake wound in his chest.

“She missed.”

Angelus stepped forward to further inspect the hole in Spikes chest. He traced the wound with his hand, then seemed satisfied.

“She missed. She must be distracted.”

“I can’t imagine why.” Spike spit back.

“What were you doing in her home Spike?”

“I was taking the only good piece of advice you ever gave me. The only way to kill her is to get close to her.”

“Was it working?”

Spike let out a slow smile. “Why do you think you could smell her all over me?”

Angelus and Spike exchanged knowing glances.

“Is that William I hear?” Darla called out from behind a bookcase.

“Something that resembles him perhaps. See for yourself.” Angelus answered.

Darla did look exactly like she had 100 years ago when they first met. Her hair was long and she was wearing some outfit she must have stolen from a victim.

...........................................................................................

“You really trust him to be around them? Buffy think! Everything we know about the four of them, the Aruilus clan for that sake, Buffy he’ll get feeling evil again.”

“He’s not going to. He’s got a chip in his head. Besides Xander, he’s changed. If we knew anything about Spike before this all happened it’s that he is loyal to the person he loves. Right now that’s me. And he believes I have feelings for him too.”

“Eew Buff. I don’t even want to know.”
Buffy smiled “Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.”

..........................................................................................

“Is this chip really so painful that you couldn’t rip it out Spike?” Darla questioned.

“Believe me I tried. It fires electrons. I can’t bite anything!”

“Gave you reason to be friends with the Slayer, she always takes in strays.” Angelus’ snide remark had some truth to it.

“Yeah well if you know someone who can get out, I won’t have a hard time killing her”

“The wolf and rams hart has its people. Give me one reason to help you Spike.”

“Because I am the only one who can kill the Slayer.”

Angelus opened up his cell phone.
_________________________________________________________________