Author's Chapter Notes:
This is my first go at fanfiction. So don't be too hard on me!
“I love you Buffy, please never forget that. You are my whole world and I’ll only be gone for a week. We can make it through, I promise.” Will cupped her face in his hands and leant down placing a soft kiss on her lips.

Buffy melted into his embrace and kissed him back passionately, never wanting to let go. “I know, but why did it have to be now? It seems like they’re taking you away from me.” She pouted a little and heard Will chuckle.

“It’s just for business, I’ll be back before you know it.” They heard his flight being called and Will pulled her in for a hug, “I guess I better go. I’ll call you as soon as I get there ok?” He pulled back and gave her another kiss before grabbing his bags and walking away. “I love you,” he called out over his shoulder and headed toward the gate.

Buffy felt a tear trickle down her face and wiped it away, “I love you too,” she whispered as she watched him go. When he was out of sight she turned around and walked out, not looking back.

The week went slowly. Buffy spent the entire time working hoping it would go quickly but it just seemed to keep going slower. After she finished work at the gallery that day she ran out of the building and hopped in to her car driving straight to the airport to pick up Will. She waited at the gate with a huge smile on her face as his plane got in. She frowned when she couldn’t see him and started to get worried as everyone walked passed her and Will was nowhere to be seen. She felt a hand on her shoulder and she grinned and turned around but her smile faded, “Can I help you?”

“Are you Buffy Summers?”

“Yes, I’m Buffy.” She started to feel sick, “Who are you?”

“Miss Summers we’re with the FBI. We’ve been trying to track you down but you’re one hard girl to find. We have some bad news.”

“Oh God,” she whispered. She didn’t have to be told what it was, she knew exactly what had happened and she fell to her knees and was finding it hard to breathe.

One of the agents bent down, “We’re so sorry but William Giles was killed while he was in New York. He was shot, at close range and there was nothing they could do to save him. I’m sorry to tell you this Miss Summers.”

Everything went quiet and Buffy’s head was spinning. She just got up and walked out in a daze hoping that it was a dream. ‘Will is dead, he’s gone and he’s not coming back.’


Buffy woke up in a cold sweat and was breathing hard as she looked at the clock. She had only been asleep for about 3 hours and was feeling drained. She put her head in her hands and let the tears fall at remembering her dream. That day changed her life completely, she closed herself off from all her friends, quit her job and moved to Los Angeles to try and start a new life. It had been 5 years, new job, new circle of friends but she missed Will deeply. He was the love of her life, her first everything. They first got together when Buffy was 17, Will was in college but was friends with her brother Xander. Buffy had always had a crush on Will and one day her world got turned upside down when Will kissed her at her Senior Prom. They were inseparable from that day forward, spending every waking moment together. After college they moved in together and everything was perfect. Little did she know Buffy’s world was going to be turned upside down again.

Once she finally stopped crying she got up out of bed and crossed the hall to the bathroom to wash her face. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and didn’t recognize the girl she saw. Now a brunette, she was much thinner than she was a few years ago. ‘I look like hell,’ she thought to herself. She had dark bags underneath her eyes and was very pale. She hadn’t been sleeping well for the past month, Will haunting her dreams every night. Tomorrow it would have been 5 years since Will died, she didn’t want to go back home to Sunnydale. It held too many memories and she didn’t think she could face her old friends and her mom. They had tried to help her through the difficult time but Buffy felt suffocated and needed to leave. She left everyone behind, her friends, her family, her and Will’s home. The home where they shared many wonderful moments, where he proposed to her and made love to her.

Buffy leant against the sink and was determined to keep her eyes open, not wanting the thought of Will’s death playing in her mind anymore. She took a few deep breaths before heading back to her bedroom, walking over to her dresser. She opened her top drawer and pulled out the engagement ring Will gave her. She clutched it in her hand and walked to her bed and slid under the covers. She closed her eyes and the image of Will getting down on one knee proposing popped into her mind. Buffy smiled at the thought, thinking back at how they made love all night and how happy she felt in his arms.

Buffy sighed heavily and opened her eyes again. She stared blankly at the wall, feeling sleep not coming any time soon. She clutched the ring in her hand tighter and spent the rest of morning in a daze.

A few hours later she noticed the sun shining through her blinds and slipped out of bed. She put her ring on her night stand and slipped on her robe and slippers before heading downstairs to start another long day.

Buffy had breakfast before showering and getting ready for work. She drove down to the end of her street before stopping. She stared out at the road for the longest time before turning left and heading toward Sunnydale and not her job. ‘I need to do this, I just have to.’ It was time to head home, to visit Will’s grave. No matter how much she didn’t want to she knew it was time to go back.


Chapter End Notes:
Ok, first chapter finished. Let me know what you think, keep in mind it's my first try. I just wanted to try writing :)