Author's Chapter Notes:
Guess who's back. Back again. Henri's Back. Brought a Chapter. Guess who's back, guess who's back Henri's back. Without endless assignments cluttering up her time.



I have lots of writing to do now I'm on holidays and partly rested. Starting with the new chapter of HL. Yes! That's right! I'm still writing it. From now on out we have serious (*giggle*) plot. So, expect a slew of updates across the next couple of weeks.



Thanks a BILLION TO THE BETHIKINS BETAING OF DAMPERSANDSPOONS FOR KICKING MY ARSE INTO GEAR
Chapter Ten: River Cruise

The catamarans were the quickest way home. She promised to help me right up to my front door. The chit, in her pretty little soiled sweater and uncomfortable shoes held onto me like I was a life raft. I was bleedin’ basking in her tight little hold on my hip. I didn’t want this little walk to end even though I smelt like mutilated feral cat meat in a pastry dish that was three days out of use by date. My arm curled around her shoulders as we walked towards the ferry terminal.

“Why can’t we catch a bus again?”

“I’m so stinky the driver would just throw me off.”

I chuckled as she hid her little blush into my shoulder before she angrily pulled her twitching nose away from my body.

“I never blush! What the hell have you done to me? I’ve turned into this stupid blush monster.”

“You are hardly a monster.” I let one hand rub her face and she blushed again.

“You did it again! Stop it. I’m a strong second-generation feminist and I do not need you to be all chivalrous-knight guy who loves from afar and writes bloody awful poetry—,”

“Hey, don’t knock my poetry before you’ve read it.”

The dangerous look she shot up at me told me she didn’t believe I was one with the Plath. I would have been indignant if I had the energy to argue.

Buffy mumbled about my tendency to interrupt while she was talking. So I gather the gall to start the mock fight cause she wasn’t kidding anyone, this bantering was just foreplay.

“Yeah, you’re right they are bloody awful. But just cause I have feelings for you doesn’t mean I’m going to be all—,”

“So you do have feelings for me.”

“Who’s butting in now?”

I knew we had to talk. We needed to get the misunderstandings out in the open so they weren’t misunderstood anymore. I needed to tell her why I stormed out. I needed to talk to her about my bloody insecurities. That conversation was going to be hell. It could wait till we got home. Best just to act casual for the snuggles, at least that was what I was telling myself. But then I went and opened my mouth.

“I’m not a sex bunny.” She threw me for a loop, I had tried to stop my wayward thoughts and was back to basking in her arms and yet I just had to stick my foot in it.

“WHAT?” She looked up at me in surprise.

“Like, I thought that’s all you wanted me for, being your sex kitten. But I want more and I thought you were just trying to get me into bed and…”

So our incoming chat wouldn’t include my knowledge of the little-to-no self control I’d have once I’d have neared her bed.

“Wait, so you go down on me then run off?” She shook her head and grasped one hand to my shirt, the vomit ignored. “Never mind that, of course I want you to be my sexual poodle. But hasn’t anyone explained to you that lots of women kind of think that with frequent sex comes commitment?”

A small epiphany from the mouth of a goddess. And I was reassured, though never completely free of my reservations.

Buffy snuggled into my chest, the dried vomit on her sweater scratching against my dried vomit on my red shirt.

I began to softly sing a Beatles favourite of mine as we reached the catamaran terminal.

“She’s the kind of girl you want so much it makes you sorry. Still you don’t regret a single day. Oh, girl, girl.” I didn’t sing past the first chorus, afraid I’d receive a large thump in the chest if I continued.

We boarded the boat while I refuted her question over my ability at vomiting, promising I did not get sea sick, though staying in the fresh air on the back deck placate her. I grabbed her around the waist, pressed myself into her back, my arms fencing her against the starboard, and kissed her neck to stop her protests.

“Hey, at least I didn’t press you against the sea cock.” I didn’t overlook the smile plastered across her face.



****



I know it was silly, but I wanted to do it and the catamaran attendants were all up the front near the captain’s cabin trying to figure out what to tell the passengers why we were stuck in the middle of the sparkling river.

“Come on. Let’s pretend we’re on the Titanic.”

“Why, you have a frozen death wish, love?”

“It’s all romantic like, you’ll be Leo and I’ll be Kate.”

“What if I want to be Kate?” I slapped at his chest, carefully missing the gross, stinky vomit stains and stood up on the back railing of the Citycat.

The wind whipped at my loose hair, the ferry speeding up and the wind roaring as the river bended. Spike placed his hand on my shoulder to turn me around, the look in his eyes made me light-headed. I couldn’t place what emotion was shinning in those sparkling orbs but I knew it was going to be of the good.

“Come on, I really want to do this with you. I trust you to hold me.”

He relented.

I climbed over the railing and he instantly stepped forward to grab me around the waist. The look on his face was telling me I was insane. But I needed to know whether I truly trusted him.

I spread my arms out like Christ and he stood firmly behind me, letting my head lean against his strong shoulders. Yep, I was insane.

The wind rushed from behind us and flew into my mouth and through my head.

“I feel like I’m flying,” I shouted at his delicious face that was trying to stop a smirk at the edges of his lips. The lips began to move but then the fatal happened.

A seagull flew into my head. Right into the middle of my damn forehead. What the hell are the local birds eating? Someone had to be feeding them dumb pills. What ever pills it was, it made for slippery stool landing on my completely trashed sweater. I grimaced at the white crap, reminding me of the spouting hydrant-like spurt of my ex’s cum. Stupid Billy Fordham’s explosive cum.

My foot slipped and I started to fall forward but Spike turned me around to stop the fall.

“I’m not going to let you fall.” He told me as beneath me, my legs failed. My last thought as I grabbed at his shoulders was ‘Oh Fuck’ when instead of steadying our balance, we toppled over the rail. Spike squealed like a girl as we belly flopped into the dank river.



****



I sneaked another cuddle under the thick grey blanket the fireman had handed us as we sped across the bridge, sirens blaring. The cabin of the fire truck wasn’t exactly warm to our sopping lank rat chic.

“Life with you is like an adventure movie.” I said to her hair, my lips gently brushing the locks that were now beyond damp and dirty.

“More like a romantic comedy.”

I jokingly shuddered but she only held me tighter.

The rescue crew had quickly been called to fish us out of the river; a symphony of sirens serenading the river bank shortly after Buffy squealed her terror.

“Will, I can’t swim.” She said between soppy screams.

“If you be quiet for a second I might teach you.”

“You can’t teach me just before we’re about to drown!” She snapped.

“We aren’t going to drown. You yelled loud enough for the whole city to hear you. Someone will come pop across in their little yacht and put us back on firm land.”

She clung to me like I was a log until the sea rescue boat picked us up.

The firewoman who drove the truck hurtling us towards my apartment turned to watch us huddle together.

“You two have had orgasms together in the water before, yes?”

Buffy looked at her in horror. My hand crept up towards her lacy bra clad breasts that peaked through the wet cloth. But Buffy’s shocked face prompted me to action.

“Um, so, why’d you choose to be a fire fighter..uh...” I said, attempting to deflect the previous question and realising I didn’t know her name. Buffy horror did not need to be on the menu after all that happened today.

“Anya,” she answered and continued, “There is no other profession that guarantees gorgeous men.” Her tone was so matter-of-factly that it garnered no argument.

“Though, I have failed to form a cohesive relationship with satisfactory pleasuring. Have you got a brother?”

I chuckled and Buffy’s famous glare was instantly directed towards the woman who was barely watching the road. I think at several times during the drive we hit the curb. A fire engine crash wouldn’t be a surprise after today’s events.

“No, but Buffy here could hook you up with the whelp.”

“What’s a whelp? Is it satisfactory in pleasuring?”

Buffy’s grip on my body hardened and I whispered to her to hand over Xander’s phone number.

The fire engine finally pulled through the city traffic and arrived in semi-suburbia of the tall converted brick warehouse apartments and roared down towards my flat.

We climbed down from the truck like the abysmal wet rodents we were and crawled into my flat underneath the scratchy grey cloth but not before saying goodbye to Anya. I didn’t think for one second about the chat I had been unconsciously planning.

Her eyes were almost closed as we made our way up the stairs. My mind was almost only on holding Buffy close until I had to reach around for my keys which managed to stay in my duster during our dunk in the damn river. My eyelids dipped shut before turning the lock.

I opened the door and instantly went back into her arms. I trailed her into my little bathroom, her eyes not opening. I stripped off the overly soiled clothing from both of our bodies and sponged at her beautiful skin. My cock was too slimy with river gunk to do anything about our nakedness, which I never thought possible.

She sighed, half asleep as I towelled her dry. She snuggled into my embrace and I moved us into my bedroom. Even though I was utterly, physically wrecked from the expunging of my guts and the disgusting dunk of grubby river, I savoured each and every snuggle. Though I was too tired to do more than lay down beside her, I remembered having Buffy’s photo tacked onto my wall. I tucked her into my bed, and then quickly pulled down her pretty, smiling picture.

I pulled her body close after I climbed in under the covers. There was no way I regretted the events of the day otherwise I wouldn’t be holding her warming, naked body to mine. I was still as ‘dead fish’ as I was a moment ago. Smiling happily, I followed her into deep sleep that I’d only awake from when I heard my mother say from my open bedroom door, “My gosh, they are very naked.”





A/N: I live in a river city in Australia and I swear I've thought about this every time I've gotten on the ferries. I also love the Beatles but I was writing this chapter with that song on and that little sentence summed up Buffy and Spike's relationship to a tee.

Here's a look at the city catamarans: Citycats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CityCat
And the area where I live on the river: River Pic
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk1/henrietta_holden/100_0291.jpg