Disclaimer: I don't own Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm just using the characters in an attempt to alleviate my
boredom. The song used is "Mrs. Steven Rudy" by Mark McGuinn.

Rating: NC-17

Summary: When Buffy Summers finds her marriage going south, she turns to her next-door neighbor for comfort… (Spuffy; All-human AU)
Author's Note: This is only my second Buffy fic, and my first attempt at something with genuine smutty s
cenes. Any comments would be helpful, seeing as I don't really know what I'm doing, but try to be nice, even with the criticism. I'm new at this…

Feedback and Archiving: I accept most archiving requests, I just prefer it if I'm asked before the fic is
posted. And although this may seem self-explanatory, please don't post on any website that allows the author to post his/her own fics, such as adultfanfiction.net. I've had problems with that in the past… Send all feedback and archiving requests to: addie_logan@yahoo.com

The Bad Boy Next Door

By: Addie Logan
*** *** ***
I get up on Sunday, about eight-fifteen
Just to get the paper that I never read
'Cause I know she'll be there barely in her robe
Sittin' on her front porch paintin' on her toes
Her husband's always on the road

Hey, Mrs. Steven Rudy
You don't know what you do to me
Every night I dream one day of being with you
Hey, Mrs. Steven Rudy
You're the neighborhood beauty
And that wedding ring is as ugly as your husband is to you

Sometimes Mrs. Rudy calls cryin' late at night
'Cause her and Mr. Ugly have had another fight
We talk a while, and I hear her smile
When she says thank you, I tell her that she's welcome
Like any friend would do, I only wish she knew

Hey, Mrs. Steven Rudy
You don't know what you do to me
Every night I dream one day of being with you
Hey, Mrs. Steven Rudy
You're the neighborhood beauty
And that wedding ring is as ugly as your husband is to you

Imagination, infatuation
I'm what she deserves
I wonder if she thinks about me, the way I think about her

Hey, Mrs. Steven Rudy
You don't know what you do to me
Every night I dream one day of being with you
Hey, Mrs. Steven Rudy
You're the neighborhood beauty
And that wedding ring is as ugly as your husband is to you
*** *** ***
Spike knew he shouldn't be watching her like this. She had a husband. A rather large husband. With guns. And combat training.

Still, when she was parading around her front porch in a silk robe that barely hit mid-thigh, Spike didn't have much of a choice but to watch. With all that tan skin showing, and her honey-colored hair spilling down her back, she was mesmerizing. She looked up and waved at him, smiling. Her robe slipped slightly, and Spike could see just a little more flesh. Spike waved back. "Good morning, Mrs. Finn," he said, trying to remind himself that she was married more than anything else.

"Good morning, William," she called back, her smile still firmly in place. "How's the book coming along?"

"Great," Spike replied, not wanting to relate his tale of writer's block woe.

"Glad to hear it. I'll see you later!"

"See you," Spike replied, watching her go back into her house. He sighed, cursing her husband under his breath as he went back inside his own home.

Granted, Spike barely knew the man, but somehow he figured he was too much of a corn-fed farmboy to know what to do with a woman like that. "Stupid git," Spike muttered, walking into his study.

Spike sat at his computer, staring at the blank screen. He could barely remember the last time he'd typed more than a sentence, and usually, that was immediately deleted. His publisher was beginning to get fed up, threatening to drop him if he didn't come up with something soon, success of his previous novel be damned. Spike groaned, resting his head in his hands. "Bloody buggering hell."

He got up and poured his first brandy of the day.
*** *** ***
"Can't someone else go in your place?"

Riley Finn looked up at his wife, his annoyance clear on his face. "Buffy, we talked about this when I took the job. I have to travel."

"But you just came back!"

"I've been home for three days."

"And for two of those you kept complaining about jet lag…"

Riley sighed heavily. "Buffy, I'm sorry, but I have to go. I need this job. Do you want to lose the house? The car? And what about the college fund we're starting for our future children?"

"I know, it's just… Riley, I was a military wife for three years. I thought when you got out that maybe we could actually see each other once in a while, but then you took this job, and you're gone almost as much as you were before!"

Riley walked over to Buffy, gently taking hold of her arms and resting his forehead against hers. "I know, baby. But I promise you, we'll spend some real time together soon."

"Promise?"

"Have I ever lied to you?"

Buffy shook her head as Riley placed a soft kiss on top of it. "No."

"I love you, Buffy. I'll call you as soon as I get to the hotel, I promise."

"Okay. I love you, too, Riley."

Riley picked up his suitcase. "Be careful, baby. I'll be home soon."

Buffy nodded. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you, too."

Riley gave her a quick kiss before heading out the door.

Buffy tried to stop the tears, but they came anyway.
*** *** ***
Four hours since he'd first sat down, and the screen in front of him was just as blank as it had been when he'd started. Spike pushed away from the computer, deciding he needed to get a little fresh air and stretch his legs. Maybe then something would finally come to him.

He went out the backdoor, sitting on the concrete steps. He looked across the way to see Buffy, sitting on the steps of her own back porch, her head buried in her hands. She looked up after a moment, staring forward into nothingness, and Spike realized she was crying. He knew he shouldn't intrude, but he couldn't stop himself from getting up and walking over there, stepping over the short row of shrubbery that separated the two houses.

Spike stopped when he got to Buffy, suddenly not sure what to do. They'd barely had any more contact than their morning greetings, and now he found himself at a loss for words.

Buffy looked up, her streaked face making Spike want to lean down and kiss the tears away. "Can I help you?" she asked, trying to keep her voice from wavering.

"What's wrong?"

Buffy sniffled. "I don't want to talk about it."

Spike had figured as much. "Is there anything I can do?"

Buffy looked up at him, her expression one of surprised confusion. Neighbor or not, he was a virtual stranger, and here he was, asking if he could help her with her silly little emotional outburst. Not knowing what to say, she looked away, hoping he'd take the hint that she wanted to be alone.

Spike knew he should just turn around and leave, but he couldn't repress his urge to comfort her. He sat down beside her, awkwardly patting her back. Buffy bristled at the unfamiliar touch, and Spike pulled away. He still sat beside her, not sure of what his next move should be. When Buffy said nothing, he started to stand.

"I had an argument with my husband."

Spike froze, sitting back down. "I'm sorry to hear that," he said, hoping Buffy couldn't tell just how much he was lying.

"He's always gone," Buffy said. "I mean, I know his job pays well, but I never see him." She started crying again, burying her face in her hands.

Spike reached out, rubbing her back again. Riley was more of a stupid git than he'd originally assumed. Who left a woman like this home alone all the time? "I'm sure he just wants what's best for the both of you," Spike said lamely.

"I know, I just get…lonely…" Buffy wiped her eyes. "I don't know why I'm telling you this."

"Maybe because I'm listening?"

Buffy smiled a little. "Maybe."

"You know, if you ever get lonely, you can come over to my place." Buffy looked at him in shock, and Spike realized how she'd taken his invitation. "To talk, I mean," he added quickly.

Buffy turned bright red embarrassed by her quick assumption as to his meaning. "I'll…I'll keep that in mind." She stood. "I should really get back in. I have…things to do."

Spike stood as well. "Right. Um, let me know if you ever need anything…neighborly, that is."

"I will," Buffy said, going towards her door. "Thanks."

"Good going," Spike muttered to himself once Buffy was gone. "Now she probably thinks you're a complete ponce." He walked back to his house, grumbling all the way.
*** *** ***
When Spike woke up the next morning, it took him a moment to realize that the pounding he was hearing was not regulated to his brain alone. He looked over at the clock and cursed, wondering who would be bothering him at five o'clock in the morning. His recent trips to the front porch in order to see Buffy in her robe notwithstanding, Spike was not a morning person. And everyone who knew him was well aware of it.

The knocking didn't stop. Spike rolled out of bed, grabbing the first pair of jeans he saw and slipping them on. "I'm coming, I'm coming!" he informed whoever was knocking, before adding under his breath, "Hold your bloody horses." Spike was fully prepared to snap at his early morning visitor, but stopped short when he realized it was Buffy. He rubbed his face, suddenly wishing he was a little more presentable. "Mrs. Finn? Is everything all right?"

Buffy stared blankly for a moment. Being a woman who was still currently breathing, she had of course noticed her neighbor was attractive, but this… His normally slicked-back platinum blond hair was now in tussled curls on his head, making her fingers ache to run through it. He was wearing nothing but the tightest pair of black jeans she had ever seen, allowing her a perfect view of his sculptured chest. "I…I…um…"

Spike smirked at her reaction. Maybe he was presentable enough after all. "Did you need something?"

Need something? His words penetrated Buffy's suddenly foggy brain. Yes, she needed something. She needed… Buffy shook her head. "My car won't start."

"Your car?"

"Yeah. Geez, I feel like such a girly girl, but I have no idea what to do, and I'm supposed to take my sister to the airport this morning. Riley usually takes care of these things, but he's not home, and I figured, well, you're a man, and men know about cars, and…" Buffy stopped, realizing she was babbling.

"Hold on just a moment, pet," Spike said. "I'll put some more clothes on and be over in a second."

Buffy just nodded as she stepped back, her mouth completely dry. Pet? As much as she knew she shouldn't, she liked that… And why was he putting on more clothes? Buffy mentally scolded herself as she realized that fully dressed neighbor really was better than half-naked neighbor, no matter how sexy he was.

"Would you like to come in?" Spike asked. "I'll only be a moment."

Buffy nodded again. She had to admit, she was curious to see the inside of his house. Spike stepped back, letting her come inside. Buffy surveyed the room with her eyes, somewhat surprised to see it was fairly clean. He could probably stand to dust more often, but he didn't have the clutter all around that she usually associated with single men. Granted, she hadn't seen the rest of his house. Maybe he just kept the living room up for appearances.

"I'll be right out," Spike told her, slipping out of the room.

Buffy took her moment alone to study his living room more closely. It was decorated simply, with two leather chairs and a leather sofa. He had a nice sized television, and a small end table between the couch and one of the chairs. On it was the remote control and a single picture in a plain silver frame. Buffy picked it up, seeing that it was of a much younger William standing beside an older woman, his arm around her. They were both smiling.

"That's my mum. She died a while ago, before I left England."

Buffy jumped, putting the picture down quickly. "I was just…"

Spike smiled at her. "It's all right."

"I lost my mom, too," Buffy said softly. "A little before I married Riley."

Spike met her eyes, and for a moment, he felt a connection with her. Buffy was the first to look away. "So, want me to take a look at your car?"

Buffy looked up. "Yes, please."

Spike gave her his sexiest smirk. "Well then, Mrs. Finn, let's see if I can go get your motor running."
*** *** ***
Spike glared at Buffy's thoroughly dead car battery. After fifteen minutes, he'd come to the conclusion that it was entirely bereft of life. He wiped his hands off on a rag, looking over at Buffy. "You need a new battery."

"Now? But I'm late to get Dawn as it is…"

"I can take you to pick your sister up," Spike offered. "And bring you to get a new battery, too, on the way back from the airport, if you want."

Buffy looked up at him, appreciation shining in her eyes. "You'd really do that?"

Spike shrugged. "Sure. Not like I have anything else to do this morning. You ready to go now?"

"Let me just run in and get my purse," Buffy said.

"Sure thing. I'll be waiting for you in my driveway."

When Buffy came back outside, Spike was leaning against his black DeSoto, looking sexy enough for Buffy's legs to almost go out on her. Buffy took a deep breath, forcing an image of Riley's face to the forefront of her mind. When she approached, Spike walked around to the passenger's side, opening the door for her. "Sorry it's a bit of a mess in there," he said, pushing some papers down into the floorboards.

"It's all right," Buffy said, climbing inside the car. Spike shut the door for her before walking around to the driver's side.

"Where are we headed?" he asked, once he was in.

"Camden Street. It's over by UC Sunnydale. Dawn has an apartment near the campus."

"I know the area. You might have to direct me more when we get closer."

"I can do that."

Spike put the key in the ignition, cranking the engine.

~Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated
Nothin' to do and no where to go-o-oh I wanna be sedated~

"Sorry about that," Spike said, quickly turning off the blaring stereo. "Didn't realize I'd left that on."

"It's all right," Buffy said, rubbing the ear she hoped she was not now deaf in.

Spike allowed himself one quick glance at the woman beside him before pulling out of the driveway.
*** *** ***
"Dawnie, I'm so sorry I'm late," Buffy said, helping her sister with her luggage. "My car chose this morning to die. Luckily, my neighbor gave me a ride."

"It's no big," Dawn said, following her sister to Spike's car. "Maybe I'll miss my flight and won't have to go at all."

Buffy frowned. "Dawn, you have to go visit Dad."

"Why? You're not going."

"I can't just take off to Spain for a month and leave Riley."

"Why? Not like he's ever around anyway." Dawn saw the flash of pain go across her sister's face. "Sorry, Buffy."

Buffy was saved from having to respond when Spike got out of the car to open the trunk. Dawn raised an eyebrow, leaning in to whisper to Buffy. "You didn't tell me you had such a hottie for a neighbor."

"You think he's a hottie?" Buffy whispered back.

"Uh, yeah. My god, look at that body…"

"Dawn Summers," Buffy chastised. "Behave."

"Hey, I'm not the married one here…"

"No, you're the eighteen year old here. Way too young for such thoughts."

Dawn rolled her eyes. "Whatever." She walked over to Spike and the open trunk.

"Um, Dawn, this is William, my neighbor. William, this is my sister, Dawn."

"Nice to meet you, William," Dawn said. Spike chuckled to himself at the coy, flirtatious look on her face.

"You can call me Spike," he replied, taking the luggage from Dawn and Buffy.

Dawn smiled. "Okay, cool."

Buffy raised an eyebrow. Spike? That was a little…unorthodox...

"Come on, Dawn, we're going to be late," Buffy said as Spike slammed the trunk down.

Dawn gave Spike one more smile before climbing in the backseat.

"Spike?" Buffy asked.

Spike chuckled. "It's a nickname. You're more than welcome to call me that, too, if you want."

"I'll just stick with William."

Spike shrugged. "Whatever makes you happy."

Buffy and Spike got into the car without another word.
*** *** ***
Spike noticed Buffy's eyes tearing as they pulled away from the airport after dropping Dawn off. "You need a tissue?" he asked. "I think I have some in the glove compartment. Well, napkins from fast food restraints at least…"

"No, I'm fine," Buffy said, wiping at her eyes with her hand, thankful that she'd had the foresight to wear waterproof mascara. "I'm never good at saying good bye, even if it's just for a little while."

"I don't think anyone is, pet."

Buffy shivered. There is was again. Pet… She realized that she thought it sounded sexier than anything Riley had ever called her, and she chastised herself. "So are you still willing to take me to get a new car battery?" she asked.

"Of course. I know a guy who can get you a good deal. I'll bring you there."

"Thank you. Although I'm warning you now, I have no idea how to put it in…"

Spike laughed. "I figured as much. I'll put it in for you, don't worry."

"Thank you so much for your help today, William. I don't know what I would've done without you."

He really wished she'd agreed to call him Spike. "Not a problem, Mrs. Finn. I'm just glad I could help you."

"Call me Buffy, please," she said. "It seems weird, you calling me 'Mrs.' I think you're older than me." Buffy blushed. "Not that you're old, I just mean…"

"It's all right. I think I am older than you. I'm guessing you were a young bride."

"Nineteen. I think after my mother died, I just wanted some stability back in my life." Buffy blushed yet again, realizing she'd said more than she'd meant to.

Spike shrugged. "Beats throwing anything stable out the window, I guess."

"Is that what you did?"

Spike gripped the steering wheel a little tighter. "About that car battery…"

Buffy mentally kicked herself for prying into a subject she had no business discussing with him. "Um, yeah. So, where are we going for that?"
*** *** ***
Spike shut the hood of Buffy's car. "There ya go. Good as new."

Buffy smiled. "Thank you so much. Again, I don't know what I would've done without your help."

"It was nothing." Spike met her eyes, his expression serious. "Buffy, if you ever need anyone to y'know, do manly things when Riley's away, don't hesitate to ask."

Buffy got the sudden image of Spike doing a very "manly thing" to her, right there on the hood of her car, followed by complete surprise that she'd think such a thing. Again, she forced herself to think of Riley. "Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I, um, ever need any of those manly things…"

"Right then," Spike said, sensing the awkward tone the conversation had taken. "I'll just be, um, going back into my house now."

Buffy started to walk away, too, but then stopped. "William, wait."

Spike turned around. "Yeah?"

"Um, you want me to fix brunch? I'm kind of hungry, and I figure you are, too, and um, it's the least I can do, seeing as you carted me all around Sunnydale and fixed my car."

Spike thought for a brief second about turning her down, but then decided that he should jump at the chance to spend even a moment more with this woman. "Sure. But only because I'm hungry—not because you owe me anything."

"Great! So you like omelettes?"
*** *** ***
"He actually fell for that?"

"Completely. I mean, I knew the bloke was stupid, but really…"

Buffy wiped tears from her eyes again, only this time they were from laughter. "I can definitely see how you became a writer, William," she said. "You really can tell a story."

"You're only saying that because you never read my poetry."

"Poetry?"

Spike winced. "I know I'm going to regret telling you this. Back when I went to university, I knew this woman, Cecily. Anyway, to make an embarrassing story short, these poems I wrote for her got out, earning me the nickname William the Bloody—short for William the Bloody Awful Poet."

Buffy tried unsuccessfully not to laugh. "You're kidding, right?"

"Sadly, no. Although luckily, I discovered prose, and the rest was history."

Buffy nudged his arm with her elbow. "You think you'd let me read any of that so-called 'bloody awful' poetry someday?"

"Burnt it. All of it. Bloody awful bonfire."

"You're lying."

Spike smirked. "Okay, I didn't burn it. But it is quite well hidden."

"Okay, fine. I won't make you show it to me if you don't want to."

"Thanks, pet."

Buffy swallowed hard. The part of her that was Mrs. Riley Finn rebelled against this man having a nickname for her, but the part of her that was still just Buffy Summers relished it, wanting more. "So what about 'Spike?' Where did that name come from?"

Spike smirked. "Trust me, you don't want to know."

Buffy couldn't help but let her eyes travel downward. *Maybe it came from that.* Buffy turned a deep crimson at the unbidden thought. Spike noticed the direction of her stare and smirked again. She licked her lips, and he had to resist the urge to adjust himself.

Spike took a deep breath, willing his body to calm, even under her heated gaze. He stood, deciding now was a good time to make his exit, unless he wanted her oversized wanker of a husband to come after him later… "I hate to break up the party, but I really do need to get home and work on my novel."

Buffy blinked, coming back to reality. Buffy blushed, then blushed a little more when she realized just how much she'd been doing that today. "Okay. I'm sorry I kept you from your work."

"Oh, don't worry about that at all, pet. You were a welcome distraction."

Buffy smiled at him. "Glad to hear it. Come on, I'll walk you to the door."

Spike nodded, following her out. When they got to the door, he reached out, resting his hand lightly on her shoulder. Both Spike and Buffy felt the sudden rush the accompanied the simple touch. "I'm serious about you letting me know if you need anything."

"I know. And I will."

Spike gave her one more charming smile before leaving the house.

Buffy shut the door behind him, quickly leaning against it as her knees finally gave out.
*** *** ***
TBC…