Buffy hummed to herself as she fixed her hair and make up. She glanced at the clock. Riley's plane had landed a little over an hour ago. He'd be home soon, and Buffy couldn't help the rush of giddy excitement she felt at the thought of seeing her husband again. He'd been home only a handful of days in the past couple of months, but after tonight, he'd be home with her for two weeks. She could hardly remember the last time she'd seen her husband that much, if ever.

Buffy heard the door open, and she checked her make up one more time before all but running to the living room. She threw her arms around Riley, kissing him. Riley kissed her back lightly, before pushing her away. "Did you make dinner?"

Buffy blinked. Dinner? "Um, I thought maybe we could go out tonight. We haven't in so long, and…"

"Buffy, I'm tired," Riley said. "Besides, I ate out every night I was gone. I'd much rather just have a home cooked meal."

"There's some leftovers in the fridge…"

"I've been gone for four days, and the best I can come home to is leftovers?"

Buffy fought the sudden onslaught of tears she felt trying to break through to the surface. "I can make something else…"

"You're so good to me, baby," Riley said, kissing the top of her head. "I'm going to take a shower. I always feel so dirty after being crammed in an airplane for hours."

"I missed you," Buffy said as Riley walked out of the living room.

"Missed you, too!" Riley called back, shutting the door to the bathroom.

Buffy walked into the kitchen, throwing open the freezer door and pulling out ground beef. She slammed the freezer shut, then went to the microwave, throwing the door open before shoving in the beef and slamming it shut as well. She punched the numbers in so hard that she broke a nail.

"Son of a bitch," she snapped, holding her injured finger. Suddenly, she couldn't hold back the tears anymore. She went to the sink, leaning over it as she cried silently. Was it her? Was she so undesirable that her husband didn't want to be around her? She tried to be a good wife, tried to make him happy, but it seemed like she just couldn't.

Buffy looked up, catching a glimpse of Spike through the window. He was sitting at his kitchen table, smoking a cigarette and flipping through the paper. He seemed so relaxed, and Buffy couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to be his wife instead of Riley's. She imagined sitting with him at the table, making idle conversation about what their days had been like. She never did that with Riley, never had the kind of relationship with her husband where she could just be there, enjoying the moment with him.

Buffy wiped her eyes harshly, chastising herself for that thought. She had no idea what life would be like with any man other than Riley, especially her neighbor. So he'd helped her when he car was broken. That didn't mean he'd be a good husband. Riley would've helped a woman in her situation, and he was…

Buffy frowned. Was what? A bad husband? She really couldn't call him that. He loved her and provided for her. She felt the all-too familiar wave of guilt at her desire for Riley to spend more time at home. He reminded her over and over again that he worked so much for them, so they could have a good life. She shouldn't be so selfish.

The microwave dinged, and Buffy went over, getting the now-thawed meat out. She took a deep breath, forcing a smile as she made dinner.

*** *** ***

"I'm going to New York Monday."

Buffy dropped her fork into her salad. "What? I thought you said you didn't have to travel for two weeks."

"I'm sorry, Buffy. I really wish I didn't have to, but if I don't go, this deal I've been working on for months could fall through. That could cost me my job, baby."

"Can't Graham go?"

Riley reached across the table, taking her hand. "I'm sorry. I wouldn't go if I didn't absolutely have to, but this is important."

"Isn't our marriage important?"

Riley's eyes grew wide in surprise. "Of course it is! Buffy, our marriage is fine."

"No, it isn't. I never see you! How can we have a marriage if we're never in the same place in the same time?"

Riley stood up. "Dammit, Buffy, I do this all for you! I want you to have everything so you can be happy!"

"But I'm not happy! I don't care about material things, Riley—I want to be with you."

"Yeah, well, you tell me that when we're living in a crappy, roach-infested apartment, struggling to pay the bills."

Buffy's eyes filled with tears. "I'm not saying I want that, it's just… Isn't there some way you could be home more? I see more of the bag boy at the grocery store than I do of you."

"Buffy, we are not having this discussion. This is my job." He sighed at the heartbroken look on his wife's face. "I promise we'll spend some real time together soon." He sat back down at the table.

Buffy was the one to get up this time, throwing her napkin down. "You keep saying that, but it hasn't happened, Riley. If anything, I see you even less than I used to. I'm sick of it!" She stormed out of the dining room.

Riley ran after her, grabbing her arm. "Where are you going?"

"Away, since obviously you don't want to be around me."

"Buffy, that isn't true! I told you I'd make it up to you! Come on, baby, I'm here now. Let's just have a nice dinner."

Buffy pulled her arm out of his loose grip. "I'm not hungry." She ran off, slamming the back door as she went out to the porch.

Buffy hadn't been outside very long at all before she noticed someone come over and sit beside her. She turned, starting to yell at Riley to leave her alone when she saw it wasn't her husband. "William!"

"I don't mean to intrude, pet, but you looked so sad sitting over here."

"It's nothing," Buffy said. "I'm just one of those overly emotional women."

Spike smirked. "Now how come I doubt that?" He patted her leg. "I don't mean to pry or anything, but
I'm here if you want to talk."

Buffy knew she probably shouldn't be pouring her heart out to her next-door neighbor, but she realized how badly she needed someone to listen to her. "It's Riley," she said. "He's gone all the time. I know I'm a totally selfish bitch for wanting him home more, but I can't help it."

Spike frowned. "How does wanting your husband around make you a selfish bitch?"

"He's working so much for me, and all I can do is complain."

"Bullocks," Spike said, his sharp tone making Buffy's head snap up. He reached out, stroking her cheek. "Buffy, wanting your husband to spend time with you is not selfish. And don't fall for that 'I'm doing it for you' shit. If Riley is putting more hours in at the office than at home it's because he wants to, not because he's trying to make you happy."

"But he does so much for me," Buffy said. "When my mother died, I was suddenly all alone, having to take care of a home and a fourteen year old. But Riley, he came in and made it all better. He married me, and Dawn and I moved onto the base with him. He even pays for her to go to college. And I try so hard to be a good wife, because that's what he deserves, but I guess I just can't be."

Spike gave her a quick once over, taking note of her perfect little body. "How are you not a good wife?"

Buffy looked down at the ground. "Like tonight, when he got home, I didn't have dinner ready."

Spike's eyes widened. "What, the man can't feed himself?"

"William, I'm home all day. The least I can do is cook dinner." Buffy sighed. "See, I thought maybe we could go out. It's been so long since we've been anywhere. But he wanted a meal at home after eating out so much while he was traveling. I should've known that."

If the other man didn't have a good five inches on him, Spike would've gone inside and throttled Riley Finn. If Buffy was his wife, he'd wine and dine her every night if that was what she wanted. "Buffy, I'm sure you're a perfectly good wife. Hell, if I had ever told my wife to cook me dinner, she would've laughed in my face. Right after she smacked me good and proper."

Buffy looked at him in surprise. "You have a wife?"

Spike looked away. "Ex wife. I haven't seen her in a couple of years."

"I'm sorry."

Spike shrugged. "Things happen. Dru and I just weren't meant to be I guess."

His words were casual, but Buffy could see the pain in his eyes. She wondered what sort of woman would leave him, but then she remembered her earlier musings in the kitchen. Maybe William wouldn't have been any more of an attentive husband than Riley. "I…"

Spike cut her off. "But we weren't talking about my pitiful excuse for a love life…"

Buffy smirked. "Nope. We were talking about mine."

"I'm sure it's not pitiful…"

"I'd call no sex in over a month pitiful." Buffy clamped her hand over her mouth. "I can't believe I just said that. I'm so sorry."

"What are you apologizing for? I'm not the one who isn't getting any," Spike teased lightly.

Buffy felt a sudden wave of jealousy wondering just who Spike was "getting some" from, but then pushed it away, reminding herself she was a married woman. "It's just that Riley travels a lot, and when he gets home, he's so tired."

"If you were my wife, I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off you after being gone an hour, never mind several days." Spike didn't realize he'd spoken aloud until he saw Buffy's expression of total shock. "Figuratively speaking, of course," he added lamely.

"Yeah." Buffy stood. "I should really get inside. Riley'll go to sleep soon, and I hate to go to bed angry."

"Buffy, if I made you uncomfortable…"

"No, it's not that at all." She smiled at him. "I really appreciate you talking to me, William."

Spike stood as well. "If you ever need anyone to listen, you know where I live."

Buffy nodded. "Thank you."

Spike started to walk away, but stopped, reaching up to cup the side of Buffy's face in his hand. "Riley's a damn lucky bloke to have a wife as beautiful and warm as you. If he can't see that, then he's the one with the problem—not you."

Buffy felt herself blushing the way that William always seemed to make her do. "Th…thank you."

As if compelled by some sort of force outside of himself, Spike leaned down, kissing the top of Buffy's head. "Good night, sweet Buffy."

Buffy reached out and grasped the railing of the porch, not trusting her ability to remain standing. "Good night."

Spike gave her his most charming smile before walking back over to his own house.

Buffy sat back down, waiting for a while until she regained her composure enough to go back in.

*** *** ***

Buffy walked into the dining room to find the dinner plates still on the table, the leftover food not put away. She sighed, clearing the table and putting the dishes in the dishwasher. She put what was left of the food in the refrigerator before going back into the bedroom. Riley was already in bed, laying on his back with one hand thrown over his face, lightly snoring. Buffy got ready for bed, then slipped in beside her husband. Gently, she shook him awake.

Riley slowly opened his eyes. "What, Buffy?"

"I wanted to apologize before I went to sleep."

"Why didn't you just apologize in the morning?" Riley asked groggily. "I was already sleeping."

"I don't want to go to bed angry," Buffy said. "My parents…"

"Buffy, we are not your parents," Riley snapped. "Besides, my parents went to bed angry plenty of times, and they're still married."

Buffy somehow kept from pointing out that any love in that marriage had obviously died years ago. She wasn't sure which was worse—getting divorced or staying together out of nothing more than convenience. "I just hate fighting with you, Riley. You're never home, and then when you are, it seems like we're arguing the whole time."

"That's because you keep nagging me."

"I'm not nagging! I just want to actually see you once in a while."

"I'm home now, and what do you do? You storm out during dinner and then wake me up to yell at me!"

"I woke you up to apologize," Buffy snapped. "You're the one who started the fight over again."

"You've been at me ever since I came home," Riley replied. "You wonder why I'm never home? Well, dammit, Buffy, who would want to live with this?"

Buffy's face fell. Riley did stay gone all the time because of her. "Riley, if I'm a bad wife, I'm sorry. I really do try…"

Riley sighed heavily. "Buffy, you're not a bad wife. You're just a little…trying at times. But I do love you."

"I love you, too." Buffy slid up against him, nestling her head against his chest. Riley wrapped his arms around her. "I do appreciate everything you do, Riley. I'm sorry if I seem ungrateful."

Riley kissed her hair. "It's okay, Buffy. I know it does get lonely for you when I'm gone. Why don't you join a book club or something?"

Buffy frowned. She didn't want a book club. She wanted a husband who remembered she existed. "I'll think about it."

Riley gave her a gentle squeeze. "There, we're not fighting anymore. Can you go to sleep now?"

Buffy let herself get comfortable in her husband's arms. "Yeah," she replied, closing her eyes and ignoring those nagging doubts still at the back of her mind.

*** *** ***

Spike had developed a deep hatred for blank computer screens. They taunted him every time he closed his eyes, every time he fell asleep. And in his waking hours, the real thing stared at him, as if it were making a mockery of the emptiness he felt in his life.

He tried writing with a good old-fashioned pen and paper, wondering if maybe that would make the words come again, but still nothing. All that had gotten him was a nice mound of paper balls beside his couch.

When he heard a knock at his door, Spike got up immediately, grateful for the distraction. He became even happier when he saw his visitor was Buffy. He smiled brightly. "Well, hello, Mrs. Finn. And how can I help you?"

Buffy smiled back. "I'm really sorry to bother you, but, well, Riley's off again, and I was getting sort of lonely over there by myself. But I'm probably intruding, so…"

Spike reached out, desperate to stop her from going. "No. You're not intruding at all. As a matter of fact, I'm glad you stopped by. I was going crazy in there trying to write?"

"Novel not going so well?"

Spike winced. "No. I'm in writer's block hell."

Buffy gave him a sympathetic look that would annoy him coming from most people. From her, it made him feel a little better. "How long have you been blocked?" Buffy asked.

Spike decided against lying to her. "Any ability I ever had to write came to a dead stop months ago."

Buffy's eyes widened. "Must be awful for you."

"It's not a walk in the park, that's for sure." Spike's brow knitted. "You want to go get some lunch? I know I could use a change of scenery, and it must get boring for you, eating alone."

Buffy paused, thinking for a minute. Would Riley like the idea of her going out to eat with another man? But she wanted to go, and well, Riley wasn't there to stop her, now was he? "Sure. Where'd you have in mind?"

"There's this place up the road. They have these fried onion things that are bloody amazing."

Buffy giggled, and Spike decided instantly he loved the sound. "Sounds good. You ready to go now, or…"

"Now's a good a time as any. Let's go, pet."

Buffy smiled as she walked with Spike down to the driveway.

*** *** ***

"So how did your writer's block start anyway?" Buffy asked once they had gotten to the restaurant and placed their orders.

"I don't know, really," Spike replied with a shrug. "It's like I sit down to write, and nothing comes."

"Like you don't have any inspiration?" Buffy suggested.

"Exactly," Spike replied. "I know I should write, and I know I would like the money, but that's not enough of a reason for the creative part of my brain, I guess."

"Spike! Spikey, is that you!"

Spike turned pale, looking down at the table. "Sodding hell."

Buffy glanced up at the blonde coming towards their table. "Who is that?"

"My biggest mistake ever," Spike muttered.

The blonde came up to them, placing both of her hands firmly on the table. "And just where have you been?" she demanded to know. "I've been trying to call you for weeks!"

Spike gave her his most innocent expression. "I've been in New York meeting with publishers."

"Don't you lie to me!" the girl snapped. "And who's this…" The woman stopped. "Wait, don't I know you?"

Buffy looked up, recognition flitting across her face. She frowned. "We went to high school together," she muttered.

"Right. Bunny?"

"Buffy."

"Whatever. Spike, what are you doing with her?"

"We were just having lunch, Harmony," Spike replied through gritted teeth. "Buffy's my neighbor."

"Oh, so you're not skagging her, or whatever it is you say?"

"It's shagging. And no, I'm not."

"Then why haven't you called me?"

"I told you, I've been meeting with publishers," Spike lied again. "I was going to call you."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. But I need you to leave right now, okay Harm?"

Harmony frowned, but stepped back from the table. "But you promise you'll call me?"

"I promise."

Harmony threw her arms around Spike, giving him a big kiss. "I've missed you Blondie Bear!" She pulled back. "Call me!"

"I will."

Harmony gave Buffy a snarky smile before sashaying away from the table.

Spike looked across the table to see Buffy staring at him with her arms crossed in front of her and one eyebrow raised. "Blondie Bear?"

"Yeah, I didn't really want that one getting out…"

Buffy laughed, but in actuality she was fuming with jealousy and anger. "So you and Harmony Kendall?"

"Dated her for a while," Spike said. "Huge error in judgment."

"Well, yeah," Buffy replied.

Spike sighed. "It started right after my divorce was final. I was lonely. By the time I realized the mistake I'd made, I couldn't get rid of her. She's like a sodding leech."

The look of absolute misery on Spike's face made most of Buffy's negative feelings melt away. "Are you actually going to call her?"

"No. Although knowing her, she'll just call me incessantly until I finally break down and give in. I should get my bleeding number changed."

"If I were you, I'd just give it up and join the witness protection program."

Spike laughed. "I'll take it the two of you weren't the best of friends in high school."

"Um, no. I made the unforgivable mistake on choosing my friends based on actual compatibility and not whether or not they knew the latest fashions."

Spike looked at her in mock horror. "What's wrong with you, woman?"

Buffy chuckled. "I know. How could I be so shallow?" She sobered. "But I don't regret it one bit. I may have not been Miss Popular in high school, but I made friends who I still love like family."

"So where are they now, pet?" Spike asked, wondering if she had close friends, why she was so lonely all the time.

"Oh, they're around," Buffy said. "They just have their own lives, y'know? I still see them a lot, it's just that…"

"They can't fill in for Riley?" Spike finished.

Buffy nodded. "Exactly."

Spike looked into green eyes and wanted to tell her he'd be happy to fill in for Riley, but he kept his mouth shut, knowing that would be a good way to ruin the day. Luckily, before he did have to say anything else, the waitress brought their food to the table, letting Spike concentrate on something other than just how beautiful the woman he was dining with was.

*** *** ***

"Thanks again for lunch," Buffy said as they pulled into Spike's driveway. She wasn't sure how she felt about him picking up the check. It made it almost too much like a date. She played absent-mindedly with the two rings on her left hand.

"Really, it was nothing." Spike turned off the car. "Would you like to come in?" He noticed Buffy hesitate and quickly added. "If you go back home, you'll just be lonely again, and there's really no point in me sitting around trying to write when I know I won't be able to. We might as well keep each other company."

"Okay."

Spike smiled. He knew he had no chance with Buffy, but he couldn't help wanting to be around her. Something about her called to him, and he wasn't sure he could stay away from her if he tried. "Come on in, then."

Buffy followed Spike up the driveway and into his house. She knew that Riley wouldn't like her spending this much time with another man, but she found that she didn't care. If he was around, she wouldn't be doing it. "Would you like something to drink?"

Buffy decided that drinking and being around her incredibly sexy neighbor were probably not mixy things. "Just water would be fine, thanks."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

Spike went into the kitchen, and Buffy sat down on the couch, her back straight and her hands tightly gripping her knees. Spike came out a few moments later, handing her a glass of water before sitting down in a chair with a glass of bourbon for himself.

"So how exactly did you meet Harmony?" Buffy asked after a moment, trying to break the awkward silence.

Spike smirked. "Funny story, really. But I don't want to talk about her."

Buffy shrugged. "It just surprised me that you two had ever been together. I mean, unless she's changed drastically since high school, she always seemed a bit…shallow."

"Maybe I'm shallow."

Buffy searched Spike's face, trying to see if she'd insulted him. But his lip was curled up in an almost smile, and if she didn't know any better, she'd swear her was flirting with her. "You don't seem shallow to me."

"Like I said before, Harm was a mistake. I met her when I was still reeling over my split with Drusilla."

Buffy took a sip of her water. "Tell me to shut up if I'm prying too much, but what happened with you and your wife?"

"She left me for another man," Spike said, staring down into his drink. "She'd cheated on me before, but she always came back. She'd be gone for a bit, but then she'd be at my door again, begging me to take her back." He took a drink, then added, "The last time she showed up, it wasn't to ask for my forgiveness. It was to serve me divorce papers. Apparently I wasn't the man she married."

"Why'd you keep taking her back if she cheated on you?" Buffy asked. "I don't think I could forgive Riley for that."

"Because I'm love's bitch," Spike said bitterly. He sighed. This wasn't the conversation he wanted to have with Buffy, but at the same time, it felt good to talk to someone about it. "Dru, she wasn't like other women." He ran his hand through his hair, messing up the platinum blond spikes a little more. "She was crazy, actually. Completely off her bird. One of the things I loved most about her at first. Thought she was quirky."

Spike took another drink, then frowned when he realized he'd finished off his glass. "It wasn't until after we were married that I realized how bad she could get. But I loved her. And I took care of her, even when sometimes I just wanted to walk out and never look back. I'd been wild and carefree when I married her, but I had to change some. She kept getting sicker, and I had to take care of her. Then, she started getting better again, and she decided I wasn't enough for her anymore. Told me she had to find her pleasures somewhere, and that I tasted like ashes."

"I can't imagine you being anything but pleasurable." Buffy blushed fiercely when she realized what she'd blurted out. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean…"

Spike chuckled. "It's all right, pet. I'll take that as a compliment." Spike got up and walked to the kitchen, coming back with a refilled glass and the bottle.

Buffy held up her empty water glass. "I've changed my mind on the alcohol thing."

"Did I depress you that much?"

Buffy giggled. "No. I just figured you shouldn't be drinking alone."

"Pet, you don't have to…"

"Would you just fill my damn glass already?"

Spike laughed, taking her glass and pouring her a drink. "Well, aren't you a saucy little bint?"

"I might be…if I knew what the hell that was." Buffy took a drink and made a disgusted sound that Spike thought was completely adorable. She took another drink. "I know what it's like…to lose someone and feel like your whole world is ending."

Spike raised a scarred eyebrow. "Oh?"

"Yeah," Buffy said, drinking again. "I knew this guy in high school. He was a little older than me, but when we met, it was like this instant thing, y'know? But in the end he left. He felt like with our age difference that he was going to make me miss out on some huge part of life. It hurt so much, and I swore to myself after that that I would never love another man that much ever again. Too dangerous."

Spike sat back down, only this time on the couch with her instead of in the chair. "So you don't love Riley with that all-encompassing, make you weak in the knees kind of love?"

"I love my husband," Buffy said defensively. "Riley and I have a nice, comfortable relationship. I wouldn't want it any other way."

Spike looked at her, and Buffy shivered when she realized his eyes had grown darker. "But what about passion? Don't you miss that burning fire that makes you feel like you'll die if you don't have the other person right then and there?"

"Yeah…"Buffy said, then blinked, realizing what she'd said. "I mean no! I can trust and depend on Riley. That's what I need in a relationship. And if you must know, our sex life is perfectly satisfying."

Spike almost pointed out that it couldn't possibly be satisfying if it was practically non-existent, but he decided it was better not to cross that line. "You don't have to get all defensive," Spike said, leaning back. "Just teasing you a bit."

Buffy gave him a pout. "It's not nice to tease, you know."

Spike looked at her full lips and had to fight the urge to kiss her. Didn't he know it… He coughed. "Why don't we move to a nicer subject then?"

"Like what?"

"Like you."

"Me?"

"Yes, you. Tell me about yourself, Buffy Finn."

Buffy gave him a smile that Spike could only describe as coy. "How about I tell you about Buffy Summers? She's much more interesting."

Spike leaned back against the edge of the couch. "Then by all means, talk to me about her."

*** *** ***

Buffy couldn't remember the last time she'd had this much fun. Somehow, she'd ended up on William's floor, eating Chinese food with him. They'd talked for hours, and Buffy wondered if she'd ever spent this much time with Riley. She came to the conclusion that Drusilla really must have been "off her bird" as William put it to walk out on him.

Spike looked up at her, laying on his side with his head perched on his hand. "Thank you."

"For what?" Buffy asked, confused.

"For today. I haven't felt this, well, alive in a long time."

"Me either," Buffy replied, realizing as she said it that it was true. Buffy looked up at the clock, frowning at the late hour. "I should be getting home. Riley usually calls when he gets in, and he's probably wondering where I am."

Spike sat up, mentally wincing at the mention of her husband. He'd almost been able to forget the wanker in the past few hours, but now he remembered with painful clarity that Buffy was indeed a married woman. "Right. Wouldn't want him to get his knickers all in a twist."

Buffy smirked. "You want me to help you clean this up?" Buffy asked, gesturing to the various Chinese food cartons now littering Spike's floor.

"Nah. I can handle it just fine." Spike stood, then reached down, taking Buffy's hand and helping her to her feet.

Buffy stood, staring into his eyes. He was shorter than Riley, and Buffy realized that that made it easier for her to really get a good look at him. He was so different from her husband, more compact with lighter coloring. While Riley was more of a ruggedly handsome kind of guy, William had more of a sensual beauty about him. She almost reached up to trace the sharp lines of his perfectly sculpted cheekbones when she realized she was still holding his hand. She pulled back from him suddenly.

Spike was startled at just how much the sudden lack of contact with her hurt. Her hand had been so small and soft in his, and he'd wanted nothing more than to bring it to his lips. "Come on, pet. You should probably get back to your house," Spike said, wanting to break the uncomfortable silence.

"Yeah."

Spike walked her to the door, opening it for her. "Thanks again, Buffy. You call me if it ever gets too lonely again for you in that big house all by yourself."

"I will. Good night…Spike."

Spike smiled at her use of his preferred name. He reached out and pushed a strand of hair behind her ears, unable to keep himself from touching it any longer. "Good night, Buffy."

Buffy smiled at him, her blush returning once again. She hurried off the porch and back to her own house, with Spike watching her until she closed the door behind her.

Spike shut his own door, walking into his study. He looked at the computer for a moment, then a slow smile moved across his face. He sat down and began to type.

*** *** ***

"Spike? Spike, buddy, are you in here? The backdoor was unlocked…"

"I'm in the study, Clem!" Spike shouted.

Clem walked into the study, frowning as he saw the shape both Spike and the room were in. "What happened in here?"

Spike looked up, his eyes wild and red from lack of sleep. "I've been writing, Clem!"

"All night?"

"Yes! It's bloody amazing. It's like this gate just opened, and all these words came pouring out. I was afraid if I went to sleep, I'd wake up and they'd be gone again."

"So what happened?" Clem asked, sitting down on the couch in Spike's study.

Spike smiled. "Buffy."

Clem looked confused. "What's a Buffy?"

"Buffy's a woman, you nit," Spike said, still smiling. "She's my neighbor. She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Her hair is the most amazing…" Spike sighed. "It's like a bloody shampoo commercial."

"So what did this Buffy do to make your writer's block go away?"

"We spent the whole day together yesterday," Spike said. "She came over here in the afternoon, and we went to get lunch. Ran into Harmony, and even that didn't spoil the day?"

"She that woman you used to date—the one with all the unicorns?" Clem asked.

"That would be the one. Anyway, we came back to my place afterwards, and talked for hours. She was over here so long we ended up eating dinner together, too. Then, when she went home, I could write again. It was like magic or something."

"If there was that much magic going on, I'm surprised she went home at all," Clem teased.

Spike shook his head. "We're not like that."

"Not like what?"

"Like that—y'know, together. We're just friends. Buffy's married. He's a total git, but she's married."

"Whoa, Spike—married? That look in your eye did not say 'married friend who happens to be female.' It said 'beautiful woman who I'd kill to be with.'"

"Look, I'll be honest. If Buffy was single, yeah, I'd make a move. She's gorgeous, and we just, well, click. But I'm not going to do that with a married woman, no matter how badly I may want it. I don't want to be like those wankers Dru was seeing behind my back."

"So where was her husband when she was spending all day with you?"

"Business trip. He's never home. If I had a woman like that, there's no sodding way I'd spend as much of my time gone as he does. Hell, I probably wouldn't even bother to get out of bed some days…"

"That nice, huh?"

"Oh yes. A golden goddess, that one."

"A married golden goddess."

Spike frowned. "I wish you wouldn't remind me of that, Clem."

Clem gave Spike a half smile. "Well, look on the bright side. Maybe her husband will get hit by a bus or something."

Spike chuckled. The thought of Riley flat on the pavement was just too good to even dream. "I can tell you I sure wouldn't mind giving her a shoulder to cry on."

Clem sobered. "Just think with your head on this one, buddy. I don't want to see you hurt again."

"I will," Spike replied, knowing already that that was going to be a hard promise to keep.

*** *** ***

Spuffy lovin' coming up, I swear… I'm just a firm believer in good, solid plot development…