Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks as ever to Carol and dawnofme for their beta work :)
Chapter Eighteen

Telephone Call

Spike woke early. Or rather, it was early when he gave up trying to sleep. He’d spent a very restless night on the couch in Rich’s room. He’d been a bit alarmed to find that his night vision, when his eyes changed to yellow, was extremely good. He could see almost as clearly as in the daylight. He reckoned that it was an essential thing for a nocturnal creature to have.

“Creature! Shite, I’m a bloody creature now!”

He’d tried to control the changing of his eyes, but had had no success. One thing that he had learned was that they swapped to yellow whenever he was feeling frustrated or angry. Stress seemed to do it too, which meant that they had been yellow for most of the night. By focusing hard on his breathing, he had managed to turn them back to blue a few times, knowing that it’d been successful by the lack of night vision.

Now that it was daylight, Spike realised that even when his eyes were ‘normal’, his sight was better than it should be. There was no need for the contact lenses he usually wore. That cheered him up a little – one less thing to worry about.

He had a bit of fun trying out his new found ability to growl. He decided that he sounded a bit like a lion, which he thought was better than if he’d sounded like a dog. That’d just be too ordinary. He had a chuckle. He felt better than he had last night. More positive. He wasn’t sure why though. His situation was still desperate. His cell-phone rang, and he answered it quickly before it could wake Rich and Tara.

0000000000

Buffy sleepily reached for the telephone by her bedside. Her fingers fumbled at it, almost knocking it off the table before finally picking it up. She fully expected it to be Spike even at ‘ridiculous o’clock’. She mumbled grumpily into the handset.

“’Lo?”

“Miss Summers? Miss Buffy Summers?” the official sounding voice said clearly.

Buffy sat bolt upright in the bed, heart pounding, instantly awake.

“Yes,” she said tremulously. “Please God, don’t let Spike be hurt. Please God, don’t let Spike be hurt.”

“Sorry to bother you so late.”

“Who is this? Can you please get to the point; you’re scaring me.” “Oh, God. Not Rupert. Not Spike and not Rupert.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Summers…”

Buffy felt like she couldn’t breathe.

“…to call so late but you are listed as the contact should the alarm go off and the householders not be present.”

“What?” Buffy shook her head, trying to make sense of what she was being told. “What alarm?”

“I do have the correct person, don’t I? My name is Carl Johnson. I’m from Five Star Alarms and Security. The house – number 1630 Revello Drive, Sunnydale - I have it down that your parents live there and that you’re the alternative contact.”

Buffy let out a deep breath and then spoke.

“Oh, thank God.”

“Excuse me?” said Carl.

“Listen, Carl. It’s…” She glanced at the clock. “nearly one thirty a.m. and you call me up, waking me up, and the first thing you say isn’t ‘Hello, please don’t worry that your loved ones are injured and maybe dying as we speak. I’m only the guy reporting an alarm has gone off in a house that is empty!” Her voice raised to a shout as her relief kicked in.

“Oh, sorry,” said Carl. “I regret worrying you unnecessarily.”

He didn’t sound particularly sorry. Buffy scowled. He probably got off on scaring people half to death. She resisted the urge to rip into him.

“So, what has happened then? Has the house been broken into?”

“Police were in attendance at the scene,” said Carl. “The report we have is that, although the back door was opened, the house itself looked untouched. The alarm, as you know, is linked to the police, and so they were there very soon after it went off. They assume that they disturbed the would-be thief before they had a chance to get in.”

“That’s good,” said Buffy. “So, do I have to organise getting the place secure again or is that part of the contract we have with you?” She couldn’t remember whether Joyce and Rupert had taken that option when they’d had the security installed at Spike’s insistence.

“That’s our responsibility, Miss Summers. However, the police informed us that the burglar used a key. The door was unlocked rather than broken into. Do you know of any lost keys? Or is one hidden in a safe place?” Carl’s voice held the hint of a sneer, letting Buffy know, in no uncertain terms, that doing such a thing was foolish.

“No,” said Buffy firmly. “They haven’t lost any keys otherwise we would have had the locks changed. And no, they do not leave keys out anywhere.”

“That’s good,” replied Carl. Buffy could tell that he didn’t believe her and she ground her teeth to keep from slamming the phone down. “I will arrange for a locksmith to change the locks as soon as possible. Although the police have retrieved the key it is unwise to think that the possibility that it was copied doesn’t exist.”

“Fine,” said Buffy. “Do whatever you have to do. I’ll check the house in the morning. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Miss Summers.”

With a sigh of relief, Buffy put the phone, none too gently, back in its cradle.

“What an asshole,” she muttered, slumping back into the pillows of her bed. “Thank God that mom and I stayed at my house tonight.”

Buffy had managed to persuade her mom to let them stay at the her house that night as she needed to check the mail and wanted to get a few things ready for when she left to go to England in a week’s time. She had loved snuggling up in the bed she normally shared with Spike, though it had felt huge without him in it with her. He was a terrible wriggler when he was asleep. He could kick as if he were running a marathon some nights - hence the enormous bed. It enabled her to get out of range.

She reached out for the telephone again, dialling the number from memory.

000000000

Spike’s face split into a grin when he saw the caller ID.

“Shouldn’t you be getting some beauty sleep?” he joked.

“Just needed to hear your voice.”

“Buffy, what’s wrong? Is it your mom?”

She smiled as she realised that she was doing to Spike what the stupid man from the security firm had done to her.

“No, Spike. She’s fine, as is Rupert. I just got scared half to death by the security company calling to let me know that Revello Drive had been broken into.”

“Bloody knew that they should move out,” said Spike. He couldn’t live with himself if Rupert or Joyce were hurt because of his fame.

“It’s OK. The house isn’t even damaged. The back door got unlocked, that’s all. Mom must have lost a key and not realised it.”

“That’s odd,” replied Spike. “Glad that you weren’t there, pet. If anything had happened to you - -”

“It didn’t.” Buffy cut off his words.

It was understandable, given that he’d been in a car wreck that had claimed the lives of four people that he loved, that Spike could be a little paranoid about the vagaries of fate.

“I’ll make sure that we stay here until Rupert gets back. The locks will be changed before the night’s out.”

“Good,” said Spike. “Least I know that you’re safe when you’re there.”

“So, what did you mean ‘shouldn’t you be getting your beauty sleep’? Something that you want to tell me, buster?” said Buffy, successfully changing the subject.

Spike laughed softly. “No, love. Was just picturing you all snuggled up in bed is all.”

“Not going to trade me in for some groupie then?” teased Buffy.

Spike’s laugh faltered as he recalled his experiences with Drusilla. “No, never,” he said. “Not as long as I have my own free will, anyway.”

He knew that he had to tell her everything, but he needed it to be face to face, like Tara had suggested. It was too big to say over the telephone.

“I should think not,” said Buffy.

Spike lowered his voice a few octaves. “So, are you naked?”

Buffy felt her skin heat up. God, he sounded sexy when he did that.

“No, I’ve got my pyjamas on,” she replied with a chuckle.

“Please tell me that they’re those gorgeous blue silk ones that I got you last Christmas?”

Buffy giggled. “Nope. I’m wearing my--”

“Not those bloody yummi sushi ones?” interrupted Spike. He almost forgot what he was going to say as he felt his eyes change as he groaned. “Shite, it’s a good thing that I didn’t sodding growl!” “But you’ve had them forever. I threw them out once.”

“I know. I still haven’t forgiven you for that.”

“Take them off.”

“What?” Buffy pretended not to know what he was intending to do.

“You heard me.” His voice was even lower, huskier, sexier. “Take them off.”

He heard rustling as Buffy did as she was told. He got off the couch and walked into the bathroom, locking the door behind him. He didn’t want Rich or Tara to come out and hear their conversation or see what he was going to have to do, either. He got himself as comfortable as he could on the lid of the toilet, and he slipped his hand down the front of his boxer shorts.

“God, you look beautiful,” he said as he closed his eyes and leaned back against the cistern; clearly seeing her in his mind’s eye.

“You don’t look so bad yourself, except that you’re not naked.”

“How do you bloody know that?”

“Because you were already awake when I called, and since you said you weren’t entertaining groupies there would be no reason for you to walk about naked, would there? Unless you’re vain enough to want to check out your body in the mirror?”

Spike swallowed hard. “Not that vain, pet.” He pulled the boxers off, but left the t-shirt on. She’d never know. “Naked now.”

“Well, if you were lying here beside me, I guess my hands would be sliding down your chest. I’d pinch each nipple in turn,” said Buffy, really getting into the game.

She could visualise him flinching and yelping a little as she pinched the nipples. He was remarkably sensitive there. Spike had closed his eyes and tucked the cell phone between his head and his shoulder so that he could trace his hand down his body as she described it, his left hand still gripping his now hardening member.

“Let go of yourself with your left hand. That’s cheating,” said Buffy.

Spike’s eyes flew open. She knew him too well. Reluctantly, he let go. He’d already cheated with the t-shirt and so felt he had to be honest about that.

“Evil bint.”

Buffy laughed softly. “Where was I?”

“I dunno about you, but my fingers were just about to slip inside you,” said Spike softly. He heard her give a little gasp as she used her fingers on herself. His erection twitched at the thought of her lying there, pleasuring herself. “That’s it, pet. Find that sweet little spot that I know so well.”

He closed his eyes again. He wished that he was somewhere a little more comfortable, preferably in bed next to Buffy and doing the work for her.

They each took it in turns describing what their hands and fingers would be doing on the other’s body. Spike was soon aching to touch himself.

“Christ, love. Have a heart and let a fella find a bit of release,” he pleaded.

“Patience is a virtue,” teased Buffy. “But you’re right. The only thing is…if I really was with you, it would be my lips, not my fingers, that would be going to work.” She laughed as she heard Spike groan.

“When you get over here, you better not want to do anything other than shag for the first day,” gasped Spike as he gripped himself firmly and began to slowly move his hand up and down. All of his current worries were forgotten as he lost himself in phone sex with the only woman he’d ever loved.

Their words and actions drove them closer and closer to climax. The last few moments were filled with soft pants and moans, each lost in the fantasy. As Spike heard the familiar sound of an orgasmic Buffy, he pumped faster for a few more strokes before climaxing hard, his whole body tingling. He growled and leaned his head back as he got his breath back.

“Buffy,” he muttered when he could speak.

“I love you, baby,” sighed Buffy. “The reception on the phone went a bit funny. It made you sound like you were growling like a big cat.” She collapsed into fits of laughter.

Reality hit Spike with a thump, but he couldn’t help but laugh with her.

“Yeah, big cat, that’s me.”

“Pussy cat maybe?” joked Buffy.

“You should know all about that,” he said, purposely choosing to make it a double entendre.

Buffy could tell he was smirking. This next week couldn’t be over soon enough. Her…um…cat…was desperate for his attention!

tbc


Chapter End Notes:
Will the fic break through the 200 review mark with this chapter? Me and hungry plot bunnies hope so!! LOL