Author's Chapter Notes:
Although the age gap isn't incredibly huge I would like to point out if that you don't agree with the whole older guy/young girl theme then this fic really isn't for you.
"Mom!"

"Mom, nothing. How can you expect me to treat you like an adult when you don't act like one?"

"But it's not fair!" Buffy pouted.

"You should have thought about that before you decided it was a good idea to lie to your mother." Joyce picked up her handbag. "Now, William has kindly agreed to come over and keep you company. He'll be here around six."

"I'm seventeen, I don't need a babysitter!"

"He's not babysitting - he's going to keep an eye on you to make sure you don't do anything stupid."

"Like what, play with matches?"

"Like break your grounding." Joyce left before Buffy could reply.

"Dammit." Buffy cursed, throwing herself down on the couch. She had been desperate to talk her mother round so she could go to Angel's eighteenth party intending tonight to be the night where Angel would finally notice her, be so captivated by her that he wouldn't be able to think of anything else but the goddess that was Buffy. She humphed out loud, kicking the couch with her heels.

To add insult to fatal injury, she had been landed with a babysitter so she couldn't even sneak out. Not that William was a bad choice of babysitter, he was a good choice. Great infact. Who was she kidding, he was totally gorgeous. Buffy had been crushing him since he'd moved in next door three years ago and had spent too many hours to count covertly watching him cavort around the garden with his many women. She'd even caught glimpses of him in the bathroom but the cursed frosted glance had prevented her seeing anything more than the outline of his exquisitely sculpted body.

She was pretty sure he knew how she felt about him - mainly due to the fact that each time she was in his presence, she flushed a bright shade of pink and failed to mumble anything more than hello and goodbye. He hadn't embarrassed her by mentioning it to her mother - he merely smiled and ignored her blatant discomfort. But tonight would be different. It would be just the two of them. They'd have to talk - have an actual conversation. Shit. Buffy eyes landed on the clock. 5:45pm. She looked down at her pastel pink sundress and white flip flops. Double shit. She ran upstairs to change.

~~

Twelve minutes later, Buffy was dressed in denim shorts and a white halter. She left her feet bare intending to go and sit by the pool once the awkward greetings were out of the way. Sunnydale had been wilting in a heat wave for the past three days and she could use the excuse of her being too hot to have to sit in an uncomfortable silence in the living room. Not that she wouldn't be fantasising about the hot man sat on her couch but she would save that for after he left. As she applied her favourite cherry lip gloss, she heard a faint tapping on the door. Giving herself one last check, she bounded down the stairs and flung open the door.

"Hi, William." She blushed immediately, her eyes already lowered to the floor as she stepped back to let him in.

"Buffy, hello." His English accent made her stomach flip. "I understand you've been grounded?"

Buffy nodded, blushing harder. How embarrassing!

"I hope he was worth it."

Buffy glanced up at him, questioningly.

"It's always about a bloke." William chuckled. "Come on, you can tell me all about it over a drink."

"Well I-" Buffy started after him as he walked past her into the kitchen. Her breath caught in her throat as she took the opportunity to give him a good appraisal. Tight black jeans that showed the flex of his ass with every step and a tight black tee that may as well have been a second skin. Holy hell. He must be hot in those… Geez, boy was he hot… "I wanted to go to a party." She stammered.

She took a seat at the breakfast bar whilst he plucked two glasses from the cupboard and a bottle of juice from the fridge. "And what was so important about this party that you had to lie about going?" He cocked an eyebrow at her. She nearly melted.

"Mom wouldn't have let me go. It's an eighteenth. And she doesn't like Angel -" She took the glass of juice he passed to her.

"Angel?" William spluttered. "What kind of poncey name is that?" Seeing her hurt expression, he back-pedalled. "I mean, I wouldn't have expected a guy you liked to be called that."

Buffy frowned and then laughed. "No, it is kind of poncey. But he definitely isn't poncey." She added defensively.

William gripped the countertop tightly as he sipped on his juice. He thought Buffy had a crush on him, he didn’t realise she was hung up on someone else aswell. Not that it mattered. He was her neighbour - her older next door neighbour who was babysitting her. He hadn't realised that he would be bothered when she turned her attention to someone else. He realised that this Angel must be getting the adorable blushes and mumbles he had grown accustomed to and secretly delighted in.

Buffy sipped her juice, glancing at William over the top of her glass. Suddenly, he seemed rather tense and distracted. "You must have better things to be doing than babysitting your seventeen year old neighbour huh?"

His eyes met hers, softening instantly. "Don't be daft. It's my pleasure." He winked at her before turning to put his glass in the sink. Bollocks. No flirting with the chit, dammit.

Squirming on her seat, Buffy fought the apparently rising heat. She wasn't sure if it was genuinely too hot in the kitchen or whether William's last comment had brought on a sudden fever. "I'm going to go and sit by the pool, cool off." Forcing herself to stand, she padded out of the kitchen and into the garden without waiting for a response.

Watching her go, William leant against the sink running his hands through his bleached curls. What was it about this girl that made his mind go to mush? It was the first time he had truly been alone with her and not only had he learnt that she no longer had a crush on him, he saw her finally for the woman that she was becoming. And that thought bothered him more than he ever thought possible.


Chapter End Notes:
As this is my first attempt at a fic longer than 1000 words and an AU, I'd really appreciate some feedback to let me know if this is worth pursuing! I've got a few chapters done already but I don't want to plough on to far if readers aren't on board. Thanks guys :)