Author's Chapter Notes:
HUGE thanks once more and as always to all the readers and reviewers - I have repaid your wonderful kindness by posting this in a BUMPER SIZED chapter!! It's time for Dress to Impress Night at the Bronze.... *wibble* [Please forgive me if you find any of this too fluffy - I indulged in this chapter!]
She pushed back from the wall, yanking his hand from her mouth. “Oh, isn’t that just ironic huh? Get over yourself! I like Angel. Like really. Sure, he fancies the ass off me and why shouldn’t he? You seem to like my ass yourself! The difference is William, I can have him. I can’t have you. So please, do me the courtesy of not luring me to scabby restrooms to feed me your unique brand of bullshit!”

Stunned at her sudden outburst, he stood slack jawed as she shoved past him and back out into the coffee shop.

“Bloody, buggering bollocks!!!!” He roared before slamming his fist into the hand dryer.



~~

“Buffy, are you sure about this?”

“Absolutely! It’s like the best idea I think I’ve ever had.”

“Well, erm – maybe not the best…” Willow frowned at her reflection in the mirror.

“You look stunning, Will! Really.” Buffy rested her head on Willow’s shoulder. “Trust me, we’ll be the best dressed by a mile. Nobody would ever have thought of this in a million years.”

“Do you not think there may be a reason for that?” Willow asked worriedly.

A cough came from Buffy’s bedroom doorway.

“Well, don’t you look all hot and macho?!”

“You say that like I don’t usually look hot and macho.”

Buffy and Willow snorted.

“You mock me with your silence.” Xander stepped into the room and perched himself on the edge of the bed. “Where is the haloed hero?”

“If you mean Angel, he’s on his way.” Buffy reapplied her lipstick at her dresser whilst Willow continued to spin in front of the mirror. “Willow, will you just relax?”

“Easy for you to say. This look is kinda new for me.” She tugged at the hemline of her skirt.

“You look hot, Will. End of.” Xan piped up.

Buffy looked at him with a raised eyebrow. He looked at the carpet, a flush colouring his cheeks. Now that’s one to watch…

~~

As they stepped into the club, the crowd at the door parted to let them through. Usually, it was a barge your way past kinda deal but their costumes seemed to stun them into being polite.

Before they could make their way to a table, Cordelia Chase and her two friends, Harmony and Verity appeared in front of them. They were dressed as Charlie’s Angels.

“Well, look what we have here. Does your mother know about your new profession Willow?” She smirked as her friends giggled behind her.

“Back off, Cordy.” Angel stepped in front of Buffy.

“So it’s true. Angel the hot shot jock sold out his friends to hang out with the Geek Freaks.”

“No. But isn’t it true that you sold out Harmony to sleep with Devon behind her back?”

Harmony screeched. “You did what?”

Grabbing Buffy’s elbow, he guided her around the squealing crowd looking back to make sure Willow and Xander had also made it past them. “Sorry about that.”

“It’s ok honey, thank you for sticking up for us.” Buffy tilted her head up to kiss him on the cheek.

“Yeah, much appreciated. One of these days, one of my snappy come backs will find a way out of my mouth in time to hit her right between the eyes.” Xander seethed as Angel patted him on the back.

“And don’t you even say anything Willow – you look beautiful.” Buffy smiled comfortingly at her friend.

“Not as beautiful as you though.” Angel whispered in her ear.

She wound her arm round his waist underneath his leather jacket. “You look pretty hot yourself.”

“I gotta admit, I’m kinda liking this outfit.” He laughed. “But I like yours more…” He smoothed his hand over her ass, which was covered in tight, black lycra.

“Well if it aint Sandy and Danny!” Faith slapped Angel on the back as she rounded up at the side of them. “And can I just say B, killer outfit!”

“Thanks!” Buffy beamed. “You to!”

Faith was dressed up as Batgirl – full on black PVC dress, cape and thigh high black boots. “Just a little something I threw together.” She winked. She cast her eyes over Buffy’s friends. “Yo, Rizzo and Kenickie huh?”

Willow nodded dumbly, tugging at her hemline whilst smiling awkwardly. Xander, dumb struck by Faith’s outfit made a gurgling noise of agreement.

“Willow and Xander.” Buffy introduced.

“Nice to meet you.” She nodded at Willow. “Chill, you look awesome.”

“Thanks.” Willow managed a genuine smile along with a sigh of relief.

“Where’s William?” Buffy asked, peering round Faith almost hopefully.

“Parking up. He’s precious about his motor.” She rolled her eyes. “I’m gonna hit the bar then the dance floor. See you guys out there later perhaps?”

“Sure.”

“Holy hell Buff, who was that?” Xander stepped forward, his eyes fixed on Faith as she wove her way through the crowd.

“That’s William’s friend, Faith. She’s staying with him a while.”

“Dammit.” Xander cursed.

“Oh, they’re not together like that.” Buffy added hurriedly.

“But they oughta be. Will is blind if he doesn’t think that she is one hot piece of ass.”

“Angel!” Buffy dug him in the ribs.

“Sorry, just stating a fact. But she’s not my type. You’re my type.” He ducked his head to kiss her.

“Right guys, bar for us to I think? You get us a table.” Xander said loudly and linked arms with Willow before dragging her off into the crowd.

~~

“Look, Buffy – Karaoke Competition!” Willow shrieked excitedly, showing Buffy the flyer she had picked up from the bar.

“No way, nah ah.” Buffy shook her head.

“Come on Buff, it’ll be fun! You’ve got a great voice! You could win this easily.”

“We dressed up already, please don’t tell me we have to sing to.” Angel whined.

“No, it’s not compulsory but if you’re fancy dress matches your song and you’re good then you could win double the prize money that they would give to just a good singer.”

“I thought this was about promoting the club and new bands?” Angel said, peering at the flyer.

“It is but the bands need a break sometime ya know. It’s a forty five minute slot starting at 9pm and they’re taking sign ups at the bar.” Willow was so enthused it was difficult not to get swept along.

“How much is the prize money?” Buffy asked.

“Well, if you sang something from Grease and you won, you’d get $100. But if you sang something that wasn’t related to your costume you’d win $50.”

“Go you with the fast Math.” Xander quipped earning himself a kick in the shin.

“Ok, I say let’s do it!” Buffy bounced in her chair.

“What exactly is in that Cola?” Angel asked Willow.

“Come on, don’t be so uptight.” Buffy grinned at him.

Angel shrugged and remained silent. Willow and Xander felt the tension and raised their eyebrows at each other. They’d heard about Angel’s temperament but until now, figured it was a myth. They couldn’t really fault him and how attentive he’d been to Buffy since they’d started dating. Truth be told, they’d been too caught up with hanging out with someone from the cool crowd that they hadn’t really seen this coming.

“What’s wrong?” Buffy asked him, confused.

“Nothing. Go ahead, have fun. I’m going out for a cigarette.” Angel kicked his chair back and disappeared out of sight.

“Forget him, Buffy. He just doesn’t know how good you are! I say get up there and show them what you got!” Xander thumped the table. “Well, not exactly what you got, the metaphorical what you got.”

“I get ya.” Willow grinned.

“You’re right. I won’t let this ruin my night. He’ll be back soon anyway and all will be fine. Now, where’s that Karaoke Catalogue?” Buffy grinned.

~~


Buffy felt her stomach knot in anticipation of taking the stage. Ever since she had signed up for a slot, she had been wondering what the hell she was doing. Was the possibility of $100 worth her first row with Angel? It had been twenty minutes since he’d gone outside.

After ten minutes, she’d ventured out to look for him. She’d found him with his jock buddies chain smoking around the corner. When she had asked him if he was going to come in to see her sing, he’d given her his most charming smile, a knee trembling kiss and said he’d follow her in. But he hadn’t. She knew it wasn’t his scene but she’d appreciated the effort he’d gone to in dressing up for her.

Sure, he’d gone along with the idea of the Pink Ladies and the T-Birds but she figured that was more to do with the fact he already had his own leather jacket and white t-shirt. It had been her that had had to go searching for the perfect pants and jacket as well as spending two hours trying to get her hair just right.

It wasn’t just the issue with Angel that had made her doubt her sanity. She realised that she hadn’t seen William yet apart from the top of his bleached head bobbing through the crowd. What would he think of her singing?

Giving herself a mental shake, she decided she didn’t care what William or Angel thought of her singing. Faith had been right, she was in a killer outfit, she could hold a decent note and she was going to sing a wicked song. Screw them if they wanted to bring her down, she’d show them!

“You’re next Buffy!” Willow hissed excitedly as the act before her on the list left the stage. “Are you sure about the song?”

“Most definitely.”

“Can a Miss. Buffy Summers please come to the stage?” The DJ shouted into the crowd.

Buffy meandered through the throng of people at the front of the stage and her way up the steps on the left. Catcalls and whistles pierced her ears as she felt a flush rising in her cheeks.

“Let’s give it up for Buffy!” The DJ warmed up the crowd before passing her the mic. She could see all the way to the back of the club from here – Willow and Xander had stood on a nearby sofa cheering and waving.

Before she could seek out Angel or William, the guitar chords kicked in and she was swept away with the moment.

If you really want to know
What I want in a guy...
Well, I'm lookin' for a dream on a mean machine
With hell in his eyes.


She strutted from the left of the stage to the right and back again, tossing her hair over her shoulder and swinging her hips.

I want a devil in skin tight leather,
And he's gonna be wild as the wind.
And one fine night, I'll be holdin' on tight...


Kicking the chair from the back of the stage to the front, she swung her leg over it, holding on to the back as she simulated riding it.

To a coooool rider, a coooool rider.
If he's cool enough,
He can burn me through and through.


The crowd were going wild. Buffy had never felt more exhilarated in her entire life. She wasn’t a fourteen year old singing in front of her mirror anymore, she was a woman singing on stage to a crowd of very adoring men… And one adoring man in particular had fought his way to the front of the crowd.

Whhoa ohhhh
If it takes forever,
Then I'll wait forever.
No ordinary boy,
No ordinary boy is gonna do.
I want a rider that's cool.


His eyes burned blue fire as he watched the goddess before him. Buffy blinked as she caught sight of the man in eyeliner and ripped jeans at the foot of the stage. Oh god. He’d bleached his hair a paler blonde, his blue eyes lined with kohl. His jeans, ripped to expose the corded muscles of his thighs and his sleeveless shirt baring the strength evident in the shape of his arms… She almost forgot the lyrics… but not quite. Their exchange from the day before came rushing back making her all the more defiant and all the more high on adrenaline.

That's the way it's gonna be,
And that's the way that I feel.
I want a whole lot more than the boy next door,
I want hell on wheels.


Kicking away the stool, she turned her back to the crowd to look over her shoulder as she wiggled her ass right in William’s eyeline.

Just give me a fine motorcycle,
With a man growin' out of the seat.
And move aside, cause I'm gonna ride...


For the rest of the song, William remained at the foot of the stage watching her intently. Where had this vixen come from? If only he’d kept his mouth shut yesterday, they’d be talking and… maybe something else. Buffy refused to meet his eyes as she walked off the stage as he helplessly watched her melt away into the mass of people.

“Buffy, that was made of awesome!” Willow threw her arms around Buffy’s neck. “If you don’t win after that, then it’s a travesty!”

“She means it would suck.” Xander added. “And I second that motion. You were one buff Buff up there.”

Buffy grinned and slapped his shoulder. “You know what, I really enjoyed myself.”

“So did the male population of Sunnydale.” Xander nodded towards the bar where the male contingent was now focusing their attention on their table.

“Way to kick it, B!” Faith came over clapping wildly. “That was fan-fuckin-tastic.”

“Really?” For some reason, the scrutiny of Faith embarrassed her – especially as Faith was self assured and confident and hot and curvy and friends with William…

“Hell yeah. That $100 is yours. There’s no way Will can top that, I’m sure.”

“What?” Buffy’s eyes practically bugged out of her head.

“Well, Mr. Dull and Dreary has decided he’s going to relive his youth and decided it’d be a smart idea to sign up for the singing. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for fun and frolicking in costumes but I think he’s having a quarter life crisis or something.”

“Is he any good?”

“You tell me, B! I’m biased!”

Before Buffy could reply, the stage was plunged into darkness and the DJ called for quiet.

“Ladies, gents, gals and guys… for one night and one night only, I introduce to you Billy. Billy Idol!”

The crowd erupted into cheers as the familiar guitar and keyboard riffs kicked in. Oh he’s really not…

Last night a little dancer came dancin' to my door
Last night a little angel came pumpin cross my floor
She said "Come on baby I got a licence for love
And if it expires pray help from above."


Buffy stood fish mouthed in the centre of the club as she watched William slide from one side of the stage of the other. He licked his mic intermittently and rubbed at his already ruffled his hair… As the verse reached its crescendo he dropped to his knees and thrust his hips wildly at the crowd.

“Erm – Buffy?” Willow tapped her shoulder.

“I see it.” Buffy croaked. And it’s hot…

In the midnight hour she cried- "more, more, more"
With a rebel yell she cried - "more, more, more"
In the midnight hour babe - "more, more, more"
With a rebel yell - "more, more, more"
More, more, more.


She couldn’t believe what she was seeing. The sight of his muscles flexing through the rips of his jeans and the way he was gyrating was sending her senses into overload. How could this be the same William who lived in cotton shirts and slacks?

“Did he really used to dress up like this?” Buffy shouted over the music.

“Yeah, he dressed like that for six years straight. He sang to. He had his own band in college. And here’s me thinking he’d forgotten how to have fun!” Faith screamed as he bounced around the stage stroking his own ass and running his hand up and down his chest before cupping his groin.

I'd sell my soul for you babe
For money to burn with you
I'd give you all, and have none, babe
Just, just, justa, justa to have you here by me


For a moment, his eyes locked with Buffy’s and the world fell away around them. As the song finished and he took a bow, the crowd screamed and stamped their feet for more.

“I think we have a winner folks!” The DJ appeared next to William. “Congratulations William Evans!”

He graciously accepted the cash with a smile and a wave before jumping off the stage. Carving his way through the crowd he stopped in front of Buffy and Faith.

“Hallelujah honey, that was fucking amazing! I thought you’d forgotten how to have fun, let alone move like that!” Faith hugged him tightly.

“Yeah well, there’s life in the old dog yet.” He looked over Faith’s shoulder to Buffy. They didn’t need to say a word. With a nod and a smile, the air was cleared.

“Right then old man, what’s say I drink you under this table now?” Faith linked his arm.

“I think I’m gonna head off now. Old codger like me needs my beauty sleep right?” He looked hard at Buffy.

“Spoilt sport! How about you Xan – care to show a girl a good time?” She ran her hand up Xander’s arm.

“Don’t be mean to the boy.” William chided.

“Just messin’ with ya!” Faith patted Xander’s shoulder. “I wouldn’t want to go round corrupting the young and impressionable! Catch ya later Will.” With a toss of her hair, she turned and vanished into the swarm of people migrating to the bar.

“Shut your mouth Xan. You’re catching flies.” Willow whispered loudly.

William coughed. “I’m off. See you round.” From a nearby stool, he collected his floor length leather duster before heading to the exit.

“Well, aint he an enigma.” Xander mused.

“Uh huh. I’m gonna go outside, see if I can find Angel.”

Wrapping her leather jacket around herself tightly, she stepped outside the Bronze into the chilled night air. Besides the odd stragglers arriving late or people leaving early, the street was empty.

Sighing, she shifted from one foot to the other trying to decide whether she should go back inside to her friends or call Angel from a payphone. He should really be chasing after her considering the way he had acted tonight but evidently, he didn’t seem to agree having chosen to disappear early instead. He hadn’t even seen her sing.

Turning to go back inside, she stilled at the roar of a motor growing closer. Maybe this was Angel coming to pick her up and apologise. Tyres screeched at the end of the block as a black motorcycle rounded the corner, heading towards the Bronze. Dust flew in the air as it skidded 180 in front of her.

“Will this do, pet?”


Chapter End Notes:
(Any mistakes are my own - I wrote this in two long sittings so my brain may well be addled! I hope you enjoyed it and my muse and I would love to know what you make of these recent developments!!!)