Author's Chapter Notes:
Personal circumstances were the cause of my unexpected and imposed break from writing however, all is now well with the world and normal service has resumed! A big apology goes out to all my patient readers as well as a big thank you for being so understanding. I hope everyone is still as keen to see this one through as much as I am. *hugs*
“How did we get here?” Buffy whispered, lost once more in the depths of his cerulean gaze.

“I don’t know.” William leant forward, resting his forehead against hers. “You said you wanted to go anywhere, so I hit the throttle and kept going.”

“I like it here.” Buffy smiled.

“So do I.” William smiled back at her.


~~

“We’ll take a Double Deluxe Queen Suite, if that’s possible.”

“Of course, sir.” The receptionist scrutinised her computer screen as Buffy's eyes bugged.

“That sounds expensive.” She hissed.

“That’ll be $350, sir.”

William plucked his wallet out of the rear pocket in his jeans and slid his Visa card across the desk with a smile. He extended his arm to coax Buffy into his embrace. He knew she was anxious and no doubt the cost of the room had done nothing to soothe her nerves. She relaxed a little into his shoulder as the receptionist processed the payment.

“Your payment has been processed. Other items purchased throughout the duration of your stay will be billed to your room and will require settlement upon departure. Your room number is 303 and is located on the third floor.” She smiled a beaming smile as she handed over the room key. “Enjoy your stay here at the San Ynez Hotel.”

“I’m sure we will.” He gave Buffy a reassuring squeeze. “Come on, you.”

~~

As they weaved their way through the plushly carpeted corridors to their room, William rested his hand lightly on Buffy’s elbow. She wasn’t shivering half as much but she looked a little like a rabbit caught in headlights. The bravado filled temptress had gone and a nervous, seventeen year old girl remained. And god help him, he wanted this girl as much as he wanted the temptress.

When they reached room 303, William slipped the key into the lock swinging the door open wide so that Buffy could enter first. She gasped at the splendour as she span round in the centre of the room. It was tastefully elegant – creams and golds with splashes of mahogany and terracotta. An open fire crackled on the east wall, facing twin Queen Size beds positioned on the west. Glass doors framed by golden drapes revealed a balcony on the north side whilst a bathroom with an oversized bath and shower was to William’s immediate left branching off the mini atrium.

“It’s just…” Buffy peered through the glass doors at the rattling rain before settling in front of the open fire and edging from foot to foot.

“It’s pretty amazing.” William smiled.

“Perfect.” Buffy whispered.

“I only want the best for you, pet.” He strode into the room, his gaze shifting from bed to bed. “Any preference?”

“I don’t mind, really. You choose.” Buffy said shyly. She couldn’t believe that he had spent all that money on a room like this when he had made it clear that nothing – like that – was going to happen.

“No, I insist. Do you want to be closer to the fire and the balcony or would you rather be closer to the bathroom and the exit?”

Buffy tilted her head in puzzlement at his phrasing. “I’m sure you reasoned that out in some weird way but it escaped me.”

William laughed. “Well, some people prefer to be close to the bathroom so they don’t have far to travel in the…” He caught her mischievous grin. “You’re mocking me.”

“A little.” She shrugged.

“Ok, we’ll leave the decision making until later then. How’s about you call Willow and your Mom whilst I grab a shower and run you a bath?” He caught a flash of nerves so he added, “obviously, you’d have a bath after I’m done in the shower. So we wouldn’t be like, you know, together or…”

Buffy grinned.

“Mocking me again?”

“A little.” She laughed before settling on the bed closest to the phone as he disappeared into the bathroom.

~~

Buffy replaced the telephone back onto the receiver just as the shower cut off in the bathroom. The idea that William was just metres away from her, naked, was enough to make her breath catch in her throat.

From their heated exchange in the mall to their playing dress up at the Bronze to him whisking her away on his motorcycle to their being alone in this beautiful hotel room… Buffy couldn’t quite tell exactly how she was feeling.

Since she was fourteen, she had been dreaming of this very moment but the events preceding it had shaped the evening slightly differently than she’d imagined. For one thing, it was much more intense. Their agreement to keep things platonic hung thick in the air but their mutual attraction bubbled away beneath the surface waiting for an outlet that if found, she had a feeling would drown them both.

She knew that William was right, they could get into a lot of trouble from all sides if anything happened between them and people found out. William would probably have to find another job – he wouldn’t be allowed to tutor young girls any more, that’s for sure and her Mom, well her Mom would go nuts. And there would be police involvement and things would just be… awful.

She had turned seventeen not three months ago which meant nine months of illegal status until she could see whoever she wanted legitimately. Sure, everyone knew that teenagers were having sex long before they were eighteen but that was usually with each other. The idea that an adult could have sex with an under eighteen year old was what caused the outrage. The adults should know better and were often seen to be guilty of corrupting the teenager. Which was just bollocks, really. She giggled to herself then when she realised she was picking up on William’s odd little phrases.

“Something tickled you, eh pet?”

Buffy turned to find William leaning against the bathroom door frame in an oversized white robe. About to speak, the words somehow fell out of her head before they made it out of her mouth and instead she settled on gaping at him.

He looked down a little anxiously at the robe. “Yeah, I know. We didn’t quite think the clothes thing through huh? But there’s one here for you to and I promise, I’ll behave myself alright?”

“Erm, sure. I mean, of course. I trust you.”

“How did it go with your Mom and Willow?” He padded over to the fire, sitting in a huge, comfy looking armchair positioned next to it.

“They both seemed happy by the time I hung up so I’d say mission accomplished.”

“Great. At least we don’t have to worry about them worrying.”

“I guess.” She stood up and looked towards the bathroom. “Are you done in there so I can-?”

“The bath’s ready for you, love. Steaming hot and full of bubbles.” William laughed as she groaned appreciatively, trying to ignore his cock twitching slightly under his robe. What he wouldn’t give to hear her moan like that underneath him. Fuck.

“You really are a hero aren’t you?” She teased as she closed the bathroom door behind her.

William headed straight for the mini-bar. Sure, he had made all the right noises about dignity and respect and doing the right thing but what the hell was he going to do when she came out of the bathroom dressed in no more than a robe? He could hardly keep his hands to himself when she was fully clothed, let alone when he knew all he had to do was give her belt one soft tug and the robe would fall wide open revealing her body to him. Suddenly, a fork of lightening pierced the sky followed quickly by a loud, long rumble of thunder. The storm was gathering pace once more.

“William?” She poked her head out of the bathroom door. “Erm, do you mind if you could erm, talk to me?”

“Excuse me?” William choked.

“I mean, while I’m having a bath. I have a thing against storms, ever since I was little and if I can help it, I don’t like being alone. Like, talking relaxes me and helps me not to jump and dither so much. Dumb huh?”

“Not really. But are you sure that’s a wise idea, me and you being so…”

“I told you already, didn’t I? I trust you.” She cocked her head. “Come on.”

He stood, albeit a little shakily and walked slowly into the bathroom. The room was full of steam from the freshly ran bath, the mirrors fogged and the lights dimmed.

“Can you turn your back a moment whilst I slip into the tub?” Buffy stood with her arms wrapped across her front, clutching at her towel.

“Of course.” William coughed a little, turning to face the tiled wall as he heard her towel hit the floor and the water slosh against the sides of the bath as she stepped into the tub.

“I’m in.” She almost whispered. Another crack of thunder echoed around the room. “It’s a good job we stopped, huh?”

“I’ll say.” He turned and moved to perch himself on the closed lid of the toilet. “We’re safe now.” He was sat across the room from the tub so he couldn’t see anything but Buffy’s head surrounding by a large mountain of bubbles.

“Thanks for sitting with me. It does help.” She smiled at him and he felt his insides twist.

“You’re welcome, pet. As long as you’re ok. Was more worried you’d catch pneumonia the way you were shivering in the lobby.”

“I’m all toasty now, thanks to you. You do a mean bath!” She laughed and blew some bubbles off the palm of her hand towards him.

“Well, thank you. Just like you do a mean karaoke.” He winked as she blushed.

“You think?”

“Hell yeah, you were amazing.” He nodded, sincerely.

“I didn’t win though.” She pouted. “You stole my karaoke crown.”

“Well, you can’t argue that I’m talented.” He grinned.

“I should say so. The way you danced, I was gobsmacked. Not to mention worried.”

He arched a brow.

“You know, incase you slipped a disc or cracked a rib – at your age and all.” She smiled sweetly.

“Now, now. That was below the belt.”

“Exactly where I was aiming.” She giggled.

William coughed.

“Sorry. I don’t mean. Well, I do.” She sighed. “Do you think we might have a conversation some day that isn’t laden with innuendo?”

He laughed. “Maybe some day. But not today.”

“I think I’d miss it.”

“So would I.”

“But we should stop it though, shouldn’t we? If we’re all with the being good and stuff.”

He carded his hand through his hair, unleashing his curls. “Yeah, we really should.”

“It’s for the best. It’s the right thing to do. I mean, you have a career and a mortgage and a whole adult life. I have cheerleading practice and history homework.”

“And Angel.” William added quietly.

“Maybe.” Buffy idly played with some bubbles.

“Didn’t he take you to the Bronze tonight?”

“Yeah but he didn’t stick around. Not really his scene.” She shrugged.

“Oh.” He fought to suppress the welling relief inside him that things with Angel weren’t working out.

“Have to see what happens on Monday.”

“Please, tell me if I’m out of line here but you haven’t… you know, done anything with him. Have you?” William said nervously.

“What?”

“Like, you know…” He sighed. “You know what I mean. He’s a player, Buffy. He’s bad news and he’s after making you his latest conquest and above all else, I don’t want you to get hurt.” He stared at her hard, trying to quell his jealousy and Buffy’s angry reaction to his question.

She rolled her eyes and sank into the bubbles a little further. “I know. I’ve heard the rumours. I’m not stupid. I thought maybe that once we got together, that things would be different. That he’d be different with me.”

“And is he?”

“Sometimes. Sometimes, he is the sweetest guy in the world and other times, it’s like he’s not really there. Stupid right?”

“Not at all. Guys like Angel have the depth of a puddle. If it seems like he’s not there, he probably isn’t. He’s probably busy recharging his brain cell.”

“Ouch.” Buffy laughed.

“I would say I’m sorry, but I’m not.” William shrugged. “You can do better.”

“You seem so sure.”

“I am.”

“And there are so many shiny white knights in Sunnydale.”

“You’ve got plenty of time to be swept off your feet. You should concentrate on school and homework and your friends.” William said seriously.

“Jeez, you’re showing you’re true age now.” Buffy teased.

“All I’m saying is, you should wait for the right guy. He’ll come along one day. But one thing I do know is that Angel isn’t him.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been fooled. Besides, Angel and I might still work it out. It may not be forever and a day but he’ll do for now.”

“So I take that to mean that you have…”

“You can say the words you know.”

“Slept with him. Have you slept with Angel?” His insides twisted once more as he held his breath in anticipation of her answer.

“We’ve done… you know, stuff. But not… everything.” Buffy said quietly. “Not like it’s any of your business of course.”

He didn’t know whether he should be upset or relieved. The idea that they had done anything together was enough to make his mind spin but at least she hadn’t done anything stupid, like go all the way. “I know, I’m sorry. I just – had to know.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know.”

“Oh.”

“Are you planning on it?”

“Now you’re abusing my honesty.” She looked a little annoyed but amused by his apparent jealousy.

“Shit. I’m sorry. I’m going to leave while you finish up in here, order some food or something. Are you hungry?” He stood and tightened his robe belt, trying to avoid his gaze dipping from her gaze and into the bath.

“I could eat some cake. Chocolate cake.”

“Then cake you shall have.” He stepped toward the door, head bowed.

“William?”

“Yes, pet.”

“I wasn’t planning on it. I haven’t ever planned on doing anything… like that. Not with him.” She saw his shoulders sag in relief. “Only with you.”