Author's Chapter Notes:
I thought I would put some of the other characters' reactions in this one. Thanx to my wonderful beta, Kristin. She is a life (and fic) saver!
Ballroom Blitz

By Aurelia Carlisle

Chapter Two: News Travels Fast



"Do you have a date?"



"Well, no. I just got the invite."



"Now ya do."



"No way in hell," Spike said, turning away from her.

"I already get enough grief for helpin' your lot now and again. The last thing I need is a bunch of master vamps thinkin' I'm your lapdog!"



"No laps will be involved, believe me."



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



"I can't believe this, Buffy. Have you completely lost your mind?" Giles shouted, appalled. Was she completely mental? "That is a horrible idea!"



"I'm not asking for your permission on this, Giles," Buffy stated firmly. "This is my decision. And I've already decided."



"Which explains why it is so bloody brilliant," retorted Giles sarcastically.



"Look, Giles." She took a deep breath, deciding to do this diplomatically. "I've thought this through and I'm doing this, with or without your help."



"I'm still your Watcher, Buffy. I am well aware you can handle yourself, but I also worry you'll get in over your head."



"I get it," she said. "But I know I can do this. I can feel it. I can't let those poor people walk blindly to their deaths."



"That I understand." He sighed, walking to the counter and leaning against it. "But Spike?"




"I know, but it's the only way in: every master vampire brings a human date. Spike said the place is hard to find. It's connected to a small house. The actual mansion is underground."



"Ideal for vampire gatherings..." Giles trailed off, reaching up to clean his glasses. He looked desperately into her eyes. "Just, please be careful."



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



"Look out!" Buffy shouted as a vampire grabbed Dawn from behind. Immediately her fist shot out around her sister and punched the vampire in the face, knocking him back and giving Dawn the opportunity to wrestle free. She then feigned left, knowing the vampire would give chase. As expected, he lunged after her, leaving his chest wide open. She quickly twisted her hand and staked him before looking through the falling ashes at her coughing sister.



"What was that?" she Buffy asked, equally annoyed and worried.



"You're the expert," Dawn replied said, walking toward home and effectively avoiding her sister's glare.



"Sorry, wrong answer,." Buffy countered, following her and said, "Wanna try again? What are you doing here?"



"Heading home from Spike's," she mumbled.

"But he didn't know I was coming!"




"Why do you like hanging with him, Dawn?” Buffy tossed her hands up in the air, frustrated with her sister's crazy actions. “He's a murderer!"



"Ex-murderer!" corrected Dawn, glaring at her sister.




"Regardless," Buffy said. "I don't want you hanging out with vampires - it's creepy."



Dawn slowed her steps, her expression softening. "Come on, Buffy. ” She whined, “He's great once you get to know him."




"Here's to hoping I never do," she muttered, just loud enough for Dawn to hear.



"Whatever. He really is a great guy. You should give him more credit." When Buffy just rolled her eyes, Dawn added, "He is!"




"Sure, if he's so great, why does he hang out with a fourteen year old, huh?"



"He's lonely, Buffy," she reasoned genuinely. “You're not exactly helping him, either. The demons resent him for helping you and it's not like he can go out during the day to get some human friends."



"Excuse me for not sympathizing with a killer! He chose to help us," Buffy insisted.



"Isn't that enough for you to treat him like a person?” Dawn shot back. “Hasn't he suffered enough?"



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



"Haven't I suffered enough, Slayer?" Spike bellowed as he turned towards the crypt's door, which had just been kicked open, again.



"Watcher, actually," Giles corrected said calmly, walking into the dimly lit space. "And I'd say that would depend..."



"Upon what, Rupes?" Spike questioned, slightly bored.



"You," he replied simply.



"Exactly what are you gettin' at?"



"Buffy has informed me of your, eh hem, outing this coming Saturday."



"Of course," Spike said with a sneer, knowing where the conversation was going. "This is the part where you tell me to keep my hands to myself and be a good little boy, right? No need. I'll behave."




"That's right you will," Giles said, face hardening and tone cooling fast, very Ripper-esque. "If this is some plan of yours to lure her away and finally have your 'one good day,' you are sorely mistaken."




"You've got me all wrong, Watcher," Spike said, looking innocent, or at least, trying to. "It was the Slayer's idea. I wasn't even planning on going ‘til she offered her company."



"Oh," Giles droned sarcastically. "I see. And you aren't taking full advantage of the situation?"



"Maybe, I am," Spike retorted defiantly. "But I'm not gonna let anyone hurt her."



"Bloody right you won't," warned said Giles. "As much as I don't trust you, I'm holding you to that."



"You have my word."



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



"My word!"



"Merciful Zeus!"



"Oh. Really," Willow said.



"Yay!"



All the Scoobies turned to look at Anya.



" 'Yay'? I'm not seeing the 'yay' in this, Ahn," Xander exclaimed.



"Now we have another couple to double with!" Anya replied, oblivious to the others' incredulous stares.



"But, Spike?" Xander asked, appalled at both the prospect and his girlfriend's reaction.



"My thoughts exactly," Giles grumbled, breaking out the whiskey and pouring himself a generous portion.



"I'm not too crazy about this plan," Willow said uneasily, slouching in a seat next to Xander.



"To tell the truth," Anya began, as if none of their objections had even reached her ears,. "I'm not all that surprised, really."



"What's that supposed to mean?"



"Well, it was just a matter of time before those two got together. I mean, with her having a thing for vamps and him with his past full of slayers…”



"What thing? There was only the one. She doesn't have a thing!" protested Xander.



Anya still continued, “…not to mention all of that sexual tension. I mean, hell, at times I swear you could cut it with a knife and take it home!"



"Tension?" asked Willow, turning towards Xander for reassurance, "There's tension?"



"I think I speak for us all when I say, 'huh'?" responded Xander.



"Whatever," Anya muttered, heading towards the back shelves to take inventory.


Chapter End Notes:
So, will the Scoobies talk her out of it? Will the whole plan blow up in Spike's sexy face? Will Giles ever stop cleaning his goddamn glasses and get contacts? Review and I might tell you in a chappy or two!