Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the extreme wait between updates. Real life happened without my express permission.
Now We Wait

Dawn looked over the items sitting around the laptop quizzically. "Why do you have Spike's Diary still?" She saw the AI site up on Willow's computer screen. "Another Diary?" she paused, eyeing the items. "Buffy, what is going on?"

"I told you, just some things I need to figure out!" the Slayer exclaimed.

Anya decided she should go back in front, and strode away from the sisters.

Tara disappeared into the stacks of books in the far corner. Willow just closed the laptop and began to rifle through more disks.

Dawn watched as the group separated. 'Something is going on, and they all know. Why can't I? Fine, I'll just start guessing till she tells me from frustration.'

Dawn remembered Spike's Diary. The only time Vamp Diaries ever came out was when the Vampire was threatening...but Spike is 'chip boy,' and the other book looked different. Newer. Like a Slayer's Diary? Oh, my God! They found out that Spike killed another Slayer!’

The young teen stopped herself. ‘Hold on, that makes no sense. He woulda’ told me. It would have been another story to try to scare 'the kid.'

Buffy wasn't sure what to say. "Look, Dawn. It really is just some personal stuff. I just need you to let that be enough info...at least for now. OK?" Buffy's eyes pleaded.

Dawn's mind was still trying to come up with the right combination of clues that might let her in on the big secret. "How come Tara and Willow know...even Anya knows!" Dawn started to pout. "Why can't I?"

Dawn began to ramble in her mind. 'Slayers...Spike...Buffy...Buffy is a Slayer, but she hates Spike. Spike loves Buffy...well duh, Dawn, and the sky is blue.' She just wanted to be in on the big hub-bub. "I mean, if it's about you or Spike, I should know. You're my sister, and he's my friend."

"Spike is not your fri-" Buffy stopped when the pained look filled her sister's face.

"Look, Dawn, Spike has some things going on right now, so don‘t be surprised if he‘s not around for a few days. Tara, Willow, and Anya all just found out what I was researching but we don‘t have all the facts yet, alright?" Buffy stretched the truth slightly, but thought it was in her little sister's best interest. "No one is really supposed to know what‘s going on, so as much as I might want to tell you, I still couldn't. Do you understand?"

Dawn thought to herself, 'Sure, that means if I find out for myself...it's ok.' Instead she said, "Yeah...I get it," and slumped her shoulders while heading into the shop.

She began cleaning the counter right next to where she had lain her books down. With her back to Anya, she smiled, took her pen in hand and began to scribble down the clues she had so far in one of her notebooks. Maybe she could sneak away long enough to go see Spike. If he was going to be to busy to visit, there was no reason she couldn’t take a walk to his crypt. As long as Buffy didn’t find out.

Maybe he would tell her what was going on. It was about him, he should know.

Back in Good Ol' LA

Gunn had paper strewn all over the lobby's floor. He was trying to find anything relevant. Not one of the Vampires had anything in common with the Slayer and Angel. The few that did had been discounted before his search had begun. His head was beginning to throb from reading and rereading the same pages.

"This is crazy!" He flung his arms in the air.

Fred, who was sitting on the circular couch in the center of the lobby feeding Connor, said, "Look, maybe we should just e-mail Buffy. Maybe she has some information on Angel that we don't." She glared at the door to the main office. "Obviously Wes isn't helping on this, or we could just ask him." She glared once more at the door that had yet to open after their employer had basically shut it in her face.

For his part, Lorne had switched roles so many times in the last few hours he was unsure why he was here. Needed, but lost. The babysitting demon interpreter who researched.

'And to think, Host used to say it all.'

"Angel Investigations has received mail," the computer said in Fred's computer simulated voice.

The group looked over at the PC. "Oh, good!" Fred stood with unexpected energy.

"Isn't it supposed to say 'you have mail' or something?" Gunn asked.

Fred giggled as she strode over with the baby and sat at her desk. Lorne leaned in to take Connor. "Yeah, they say that. Unless you want to change the sound settings. I like the personalized one better."

Fred quickly brought up her e-mail inbox and read the sender's address. "Hey, it's from Willow!" She checked the subject. "And it's about.Akoshta? How would they know...?"
Fred opened the mail. Lorne and Gunn read from over her shoulder.

The Sunnydale gang imparted quite a bit of facts they already knew, right up until Spike’s name was mentioned and the fact that he was gone as well.

“The prophecy itself says that two Vampires connected to a Slayer will be tested to show their worth for gifts prophesied to be received. There's a lot of mumbo jumbo to go with it, but that's the gist. Any more information you have would be appreciated and vice versa.

Good Luck,

Willow and the gang in Sunnydale"

All three were visibly shaken. Gunn was the first to speak. "Well, I guess that answers that question."

Fred was having trouble making sense of it. "Spike is the Spike that Cordy told us about, right? The one we were all so sure was with Dru again? I mean, wasn't that why Darla and Dru wanted Angelus...one nice big reunion or something?"

Gunn stood, groaning "Where's the Tylenol?" then stormed off in search of pain relievers.

Lorne sat back. "Spike, huh? Well, there's a reunion worth going to. If memory serves...Angel hates his little grandkid."

Fred went back over to Cordelia's desk and picked up the rolodex. After a few minutes, she came upon the number she wanted and dialed. The phone rang and a young female voice answered.

"Magic Box, there's this whole thing I'm supposed to say, but I forget. How can I help you?"

Fred was amused at the young girl's honestly. "Hi, my name's Winifred. I was wondering if Buffy or Willow was available." Fred didn't get a reply. Instead she heard "BUFFY!!" being screamed. A moment later she heard a voice, a bit older, chastising the young woman for 'yelling for her at the top of her lungs.'

"This is Buffy. Can I help you?"

"Yes, I think so. My name is Winifred. I work at Angel Inves-"

"Is Angel missing?!"

"Um, well no, not really."

"Oh. We thought he was when we saw you had the link for e-mailing information on Akoshta. So why did you want information if he isn't missing?"

"Well, he is gone. We saw him when he left. He got a plain package. It said 'Akoshta,' he got some blood, and left. All he told us was that is was a test, and he had to go." Fred intentionally left out 'and made sure he had babysitters.' She knew Angel wouldn't want Buffy to find out about Darla or Connor until he could tell her himself.

"Oh," was all Buffy could say. Spike hadn't said anything. The package, she remembered. Stuck behind the door. "Spike had a package in his crypt, but there wasn't anything special about it."

"Excuse me, did you say his crypt?"

Buffy laughed a little. "Yeah, he lives in a crypt. Complete with all the amenities, T.V., refrigerator, bed..."

'Not thinking about Spike, or his bed, would be of the good right now. Seven days. Seven whole days. Scratch that...Five more days. Five nights. ARGH! Stop it, Buffy, you're not helping...Ok, Buffy. Stopping.

"Well, I don't know what we have that might help you any more than you've helped us. I mean, what more is there to do at this point?"

Buffy took a moment. Whoever this girl now working with Angel was, she was right.

What else did she need to know? What more was she looking for? They knew what was going on. There really wasn't anything more anyone could do...except hope that the Vampires passed whatever they were being tested on.

"Thanks."

"For what?"

"I think you're right is all."

Fred thought a second before she said anything, then decided. "Buffy...you and Spike..."

"W-what?" Buffy stammered.

Fred took a deep breath and continued, "The reason we put up the notice was because we couldn't figure out who the Second was. We knew it was a Vampire, but every time we tried to make the connection of...well, a relationship, a special connection," Fred paused "well, we never guessed Spike."

'Cat's outta the bag now, though, isn't it?' Buffy thought. "Well, to tell you the truth, I was pretty shocked, too."

This time it was Fred's turn to laugh. "OK, then. Hey, Buffy, how about we make a deal? You call us if...when Spike gets back, and we'll do the same if...when Angel comes home. OK?"

"Deal. And thanks again." Buffy hung up and turned around to see Dawn fake-dusting the counter. Buffy had been careful of what she said, knowing Dawn was close by. The confused look on her little sister's face told her she hadn't given anything away. Buffy walked back into the training room.

"Ok, enough research." Willow and Tara stood, looked first at each other, then Buffy.

"Did you find something, Buff?" Willow asked placing the disks back in their cases.

"Yup. Found out there isn't much more to know." Buffy watched as both Tara and Willow looked at her questioningly. Buffy explained her revelation. "Think about it: we know who, we know why, we know what. There is no way to know the where and how." Buffy sat at on a chair near the research table. "I just don't think were going to know until Spike and Angel get back from wherever they are." Buffy paused. "And they will be back."

Willow checked Buffy's face. "Buffy, are you sure? I mean, isn't there more, like how you fell for a soulless Vamp?"

Buffy smiled. "A very smart person I know once told me you can't control your heart, Wills." Willow nodded, and smiled slightly.

The Slayer scanned her training room. It was a shambles. OK, maybe she had gone a bit overboard. She began to replace the tops on a few crates. Filled them to the brim with the books and files and disks. Careful to put them in the box originally used until she came upon Sam's Diary.

That, she decided, she'd be keeping. Giles would understand.

The other two ladies watched for a few minutes, then joined her. Buffy went to call the

Council once more, this time to pick up the supplies they had only just dropped off.

When Buffy asked where Dawn went, Anya let her know her sister wanted some snacks and would be back soon.

~~`~~

"Spike!" Dawn yelled again into the empty crypt. She had even peeked downstairs, but no Spike. No burning candles, even the television set was cold.


She headed out the door, right past the remains of a brown package without even seeing it.

~~`~~

Fred walked up to the door and knocked softly. Wes opened the door. "Spike," she said.

Wes nodded.

"Is that all there is to know?"

Wes nodded once more and shut the door.

Fred went back to the group and began to return files and books to their proper places.

Gunn joined her while Lorne gathered the papers from the lobby floor.

Now it was just a waiting game. Waiting to see if Angel would be coming back, and part of that was up to a Vampire they had heard nothing good about. Fear crept up all of their spines, even Lorne's.

Out of nowhere, the phone rang.

Gunn answered. "Angel Investigations. We help the helpless."

"Yeah?" He paused. "Last night?"

He quickly jotted down a name and number on the pad by the phone. "OK, come on in. We have an open appointment." He set the phone back down and turned to Fred. "At least we'll have something to do while we wait. Vampires, north end of town, about four different nests popped up a few nights ago. The guy who called barely got away from a group last night. Said he's seen a few old buildings that now have the windows blackened. He's gonna give us some addresses when he comes in."


Chapter End Notes:
I realize this wasn't a thriller but hey, more chappies if you press next