Author's Chapter Notes:
Buffy decides to talk to Xander and this was another one that was just plain fun to put together.
Killing Time

In LA

Gunn ran through the doors of the hotel, shopping bag in hand. "Got 'em!"

"Thank God," Fred said while trying to quiet Connor. "He's soaked."

Gunn fished a diaper out of the 24-pack of diapers. Moments later the baby was quiet and sleeping soundly.

"I still can't believe we ran out," Gunn said while placing the package with the other numerous baby supplies kept behind the counter. "I could have sworn there was a full supply down here." He pushed aside the bag used the previous night to hold the weapons that had oddly been set right next to the infant care items.

There behind the bag was an unopened package of diapers. "And here they are," he said as he set it on the counter for Fred to see from the lobby.

She shook her head. "Well, at least now we have extra?" she asked apologetically.

He chuckled, "Yeah."

"So, kiddies, what's on the agenda for today?" Lorne asked while coming down the steps.

"We just need one or two cases to keep us busy. I don't know about you, but just sitting here all day waiting to find out how Angel does with this Akoshta deal is buggin' the hell outta me." Gunn shoved the black case of weapons back on the shelf under the counter.

"So far, nothing. I think the only thing we're doing is clearing out the last nest tonight,"

Fred answered.

As she finished her sentence, a tall figure wearing a black robe with a green sash came through the door. The figure's head was covered by the cloak's hood, pulled too low over the face.

Gunn, still behind the counter, grabbed a knife and pulled his arm behind his back before coming around to greet the figure.

"Welcome to Angel Investigations," Fred sang. "Can we help you?"

The figure stopped just in front of the group and lifted its head. Revealed was a red skinned woman. She was crying. "I think, I think I might have a problem."

"That's why we're here, honey," Lorne replied. "Why don't you take a seat and tell us all about it." He motioned to the plush chair and sat on the couch adjacent to the woman.

Sunnydale

By Tuesday night, Anya was going insane. It had been four very long days of trying not to let the secret slip. So far she had managed, but each day she wished Buffy would just tell him herself. The sooner the better.

"An, what's wrong?" Xander called from the kitchen.

Xander had been telling her about his day. There was something in the story, and she was supposed to comment, but she hadn't been listening. "I'm sorry Xander. I have many things on my mind. It's making it difficult to concentrate."

Xander walked into the living room where Anya was sitting, and sat beside her. "Is it something I can help with?"

Anya knew she couldn't tell. She wanted to so badly. It was hurting her almost, to just sit here and wait for Xander to either find out, or be told. She finally decided a lie would be best. "Just some ordering I have to do tomorrow. I'm trying to take a mental stock, so that it will go more quickly." She put on the best fake smile she could muster.

Xander looked at her a moment. She seemed off. But he couldn't figure out what it was.

Maybe she just needed some time alone. "Why don't I go out, maybe see if I can give
Buffy a hand with some patrolling. Would that help?"

She didn't have to worry about Buffy and Xander anymore. Not since Buffy was pining over Spike now. And maybe this would give Buffy the opportunity to finally tell Xander about her and Spike. Plus, if Xander wasn't here, she couldn't accidentally let it slip. He wouldn't get hurt. Buffy had already complained that the demons 'must be on vacation.'

"I think that would help." Anya stood up and got Xander's jacket from the chair he had laid it on when he came home earlier. She held it up for him.

"Now?" Xander stood up. "I mean, sure, now. OK." He kissed her and went through the door of their apartment.

Anya fell back into the cushions of the couch. "Buffy...please tell him??" Anya pleaded to her ceiling.

~~`~~

"Xander," Buffy began, "I know this whole thing with me and a Vampire didn't work out real well the first time." Buffy took a deep breath. "But Spike can't loose his soul. He
doesn't have one." Buffy stood up from the sarcophagus and yelled to the empty crypt,

"Oh, yeah! That'll convince him!"

Buffy had been sitting in the musty crypt for almost an hour trying to figure out how to tell one of her best friends that his worst nightmare had come true. She was in love with yet another Vampire.

There was the whole 'it's destined by a prophecy' angle, but how many times had things been destined, and they had stopped it?

'Ok, maybe that angle then. Spike has helped us do just that. He's helped us save the world more than once. He even helped that whole summer, thinking he'd never see me again.'

"Alright." She walked towards the crypt door, and out into the cemetery a woman sure of her convictions. "That settles it. Next time I see him, I tell him," Buffy said resolutely while continuing her patrol.

"Tell who what?" Xander ran up beside his friend and noted the crypt she was walking away from. "You gonna tell Spike to leave town again? It never works, you know." Xander matched Buffy's furious pace with some difficulty, but kept up. "I mean, how clear do you have to make it to him? He's not wanted."

Buffy eyed her friend. 'God, he hates Spike with a passion. Ok, maybe I'll tell him another time. He is so not in the mood for this kind of news.' "You know, Xand, Spike has been helping. I mean, he's volunteered to help me patrol. Actually, I think he watches the news for things I might go check out, but still, he's always willing to help." Buffy kept walking through the cemetery, eyes ahead, not looking at Xander.

"Well, yeah, maybe. But if he does help, it's just so he can look like he's helping. He's just trying to get on your good side so you might...you know...like him." Xander sniggered to himself. "That is just so sad."

Buffy continued. She couldn't even look him in the eye. There was never going to be a way to break this to him and not have her best friend go ballistic. The more she thought about it, the harder it was.

She stopped in her tracks and turned to Xander. "I have something I want to tell you."

Xander stopped with her and looked down to her face. "What is it Bu-"

Xander was knocked off his feet suddenly. A large fledgling was crawling over Xander's fallen form fighting to get to his neck.

Buffy pulled a stake from her sleeve and plunged it into the back of the Vampire. She barely had time to see it turn to dust when another attacked her from the side. A female this time, and not a fledgling.

"I just made him, damn it!! Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a good mate?" The dark haired woman let her demon come forth and attacked Buffy head on.

Buffy punched the Vampiress in the chin, then kicked her in the gut.

Buffy felt the kick to her face just as she saw the boot coming. The Slayer flew onto her back, then jumped up. The two women circled each other.

Buffy took a step back. The Vampiress stepped forward to close the gap just as Buffy stepped forward again and kicked the demon's legs out from under her. The Vampiress was now on her back. Buffy straddled her. "I have a very, very clear idea of what it's like."

The stake hit its target with ease, and Buffy was left sitting on her feet. Xander walked to her and held his hand out for his friend.

Buffy looked at his hand, and refused it. She stood and looked over at her friend.

"Xander?"

The brunette was a little hurt she hadn't accepted his hand to stand up. "Yeah, Buff?"

"Let him try. Let Spike help." And she walked in the direction of her home.

He shook his head and wondered what was up with the women in this town lately.


Chapter End Notes:
Ok, I said she decides to tell him. Not she does tell him.