Author's Chapter Notes:
I'd like to express my gratitude to RogueAngel who was my first ever beta back on '02. I'v lost contact with her but she was amazing and gave me great input. I've tried not to change the writing much as it was my first plunge into writing at all, but I've changed small bits. Excuse the childish wording, I promise,it gets better.
Need for Knowledge

After Buffy walked Dawn to school the next morning, she headed for the shop to workout and try to relieve some nervous tension. The idea that Spike was able to hurt her and that she allowed him to touch her still weighed heavily on her mind. She looked at the cloudless blue sky and sighed, pouting.

Before rounding the last corner she spied Tara walking towards her and immediately lit up. "Hey Tara!" she yelled, trying to get the shy wiccan to look up from the book she was trying to read while walking. The blonde head raised.

"H-hi Buffy," she started with a slight smile. "Are you going to the shop?"

"Yep, need to do the workout thing this morning." Buffy eyed the book and asked, "Is that another Slayer book, or a witchy one?" knowing that Tara had still been looking into other reasons Spike could hurt her.

Tara firmly believed that Spike could hit Buffy because of the molecular changes during the fallen Slayer's resurrection, but she also knew that Buffy could not accept that answer. It was not the fact he could hurt her that bothered her so much, it was the way she felt about him. "It's a witchy one," she answered. "But I think that some of the spells in here might be good references. Some are similar to the one Willow used, t- to...uh." She tried to continue looking at her feet.

They paused at the door of the Magic Box and Buffy looked softly at the mild girl. "It's ok Tara, you can say it." She smiled to her devoted friend. "Bring me back," she finished.

"Yeah," Tara paused, "some of them use a few of the same incantations, refer to deities, etceteras, etceteras."

Tara eyed Buffy's face for a moment and a thought occurred to her. "Hey, Buffy, this may sound way off base, but did you ever think of trying to find out if this has ever happened before?"

"I think Spike is the only escaped 'chip head-" she began, but was cut off.

"No, Buffy. I mean, has there ever been a Slayer who was in love with a Vampire?" Tara quickly spilled.

The Slayer rolled her eyes. "Yeah, me"

"No, I don't mean Angel and you. I mean another Slayer and a whole 'nother vampire."

She finished her sentence and thought. "That sounded a lot better in my head."

Buffy stood still for a moment then turned and quickly went into the store making a beeline for the phone. In moments she was speaking to one of The Council representatives.

"I don't believe I am 'asking' you anything!" she retorted to the argumentative voice coming through the receiver. She continued "I am 'telling' you point blank. I want any diaries you have, that we don't, about every Slayer that ever had a diary written about her." She stopped, thought a moment, "and I want them here in 24 hours!" She really enjoyed the last part.

She knew three things for sure:

Buffy is the only Slayer they have currently that will even come close to listening to them.
Because of this, they had complied with every single one of her demands to date.
And last, and most importantly, she could have funny pictures in her head all day about those uppity Council people running around for the next several hours trying to pack and ship what had to be hundreds of books, while trying to figure out why she wanted them.

Tara and Anya looked from Buffy to each other and back to Buffy over and over again,

Anya having no clue what was going on, Tara having a pretty darn good idea.

"Why does she need all of the diaries?" Anya asked, dreading the research that she knew she would have to do. "Why does she seem angry about the diaries?" She watched the Slayer's face go from a lovely gold hue to an unattractive red one. "Did someone make her mad? Should we call for a vengeance demon? Halfrek is still here, I'm sure."

Tara interrupted Anya's ramblings "No, Anya. She's had a few questions about her calling, her afterlife, all things Slay-ie. I guess she decided the best way to get the answers she needs is to go to the source of all information Slay-ie." ''Yeah, that's a good explanation'," she thought to herself.

~~`~~

IN LA

Angel came down the steps with his son cradled in his arms.

It had been a sad few days. He missed her and hated the thought of Cordy...and him. He scowled at his thoughts, then tried to shake the feeling.

Fred looked towards Wesley and they shared a knowing glance while watching Angel hold his son. Fred hopped up from her seat and headed in the direction of the Vampire just as he descended the last few steps.

"'Morning, Angel." She turned to the baby and squealed, "Good morning, Connor!" and reached out to receive the baby.

Angel gently transferred the cooing infant to her waiting arms.

"So, Wes.any... " he paused, "any calls?"

"No. I'm afraid it's been another rather slow morning."

"Oh." He really could use something to do.

No visions could warn him of impending danger, so they relied on gossip, books, and phone calls. As of yet, the phone had rung twice.

The first, yesterday, was some guy who had dialed the wrong number. The other was a guy who wanted to know if they had a resident witch. They didn't, so he hung up.

Just then the door opened and Gunn strode in. "Any Nasties?" A room full of shaking heads told him today would be like yesterday. He looked over at Fred holding the baby and continued towards her.
She smiled, he smiled, and Wes began looking up something very important stuck to the ceiling.

The man trained to be a Watcher started reading through some texts Giles had recently sent him. The books were stacked in order of interest.

The first stack had impending prophesies that may come to pass. The next was only one book, filled with rare spells. This one had come from Willow's collection, but apparently she no longer had use for it. Another stack had rare demons. Yet another contained some Watchers' diaries, not of the Slayer, but personal diaries of a particular Watcher.

Wes pushed the book aside and picked up a sheet of paper, then reread the handwritten
note for the fourth time

Wesley,

In these boxes you will find some information that I need some help deciphering. This is not to be discussed with any of the council, nor Angel, Buffy, or the groups. It is of the utmost importance this remain between you and I or all could be lost for the people we have both come to know as family...

cont.

...and both will be called to undergo a test. If they do not each pass, they die. If they pass, they shall both receive a gift. I believe from these writings that the two called will be...

cont.

...and these books are the keys. I have one other in my possession that I may be sending to...

cont.

...do call if you find more information.
With Respect,
Giles

He had opened the boxes two days ago, immediately after reading the letter. He had not stopped checking Giles' research for the entire two days and was exhausted. Wes took off his glasses and rubbed his swollen eyes. He stood and said, "I need to sleep." No one argued with him. "Please, no one disturb my research, it's quite important."

The Host came down the steps. "Take my room. I just changed the sheets. They're April fresh.'"

Wes nodded mutely and headed to the demon's room.

The Fang Gang's horned friend stared after him. ''Some heavy thought in that head lately," He thought to himself.

He walked over to Angel and noticed his far away gaze directed to towards the entrance.

"What's up, big guy?"

"Someone's at the door." Angel answered.

Everyone in the room looked over at the door. Maybe something interesting they could do. Some new problem to be solved, a wrong to be righted, a helpless to be helped.

They stared at the door...nothing happened.

Angel began to approach the door, then stopped. He turned to Gunn, "Sun's too high, can't open the door. You mind?"

"No problem," the Demon Hunter replied, and quickly crossed the room to open the door.

Gunn peered out, took a few steps forward, and almost fell on his face, tripping over the feather light, plainly wrapped brown package at his feet.
The young man caught himself just before he completed his fall and straightened himself up. "Guess it's not just dangerous for Vamps out here," he said, laughing at himself, noticing the group trying to hide their chuckles.

He shook his head at the moment of clumsiness while picking up the package and walking it to Angel. "Here ya go."

Angel eyed it, smiled just a bit, while unwrapping his unexpected present. It had simply said, "Angel," no address or postage mark. "Someone must have dropped it off," then wondered if that 'someone' was what he had felt at the door.

''Cordy?'' he thought hopefully.

He lifted the box top and read the word "Akoshta" aloud. He read the address and quickly announced he'd be leaving at dusk. Fred asked questions, "Where? Why?" She waited for an answer.

"It's a test, and I have to go" he answered shortly.

The group volunteered to stay at the hotel for baby-sitting duty, and he thanked them all.

He had errands to run before he could go. Supplies to be acquired. He left to take to the sewers, his mind dizzy with thought and needed preparations.


Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for taking the time.