Author's Chapter Notes:
I realize I've lost most of my readers and know it's my own fault for leaving the story hanging. I can just hope you'll give me and this story a second chance because I will finish it and I will try to update at least once a week from now on.

This story won Best Fantasy Romance - Judge's Choice at the Spuffy Awards round 16! Words can't express how happy I am!

A huge thanks to Tammy for betaing!
liesbanner



“You gonna live here?”

“What?!” Just barely managing not to drop the bowl of popcorn she was carrying; Buffy stared at Billy in shock. “No! God, whatever gave you that idea?” The boy opened his mouth, but she went on babbling; “I mean, sure, your dad and I are getting closer and I realize I’ve been here a lot lately, but that doesn’t mean we’re ready to live together for God’s sake!”

Billy got a confused expression on his face. “I didn’t mean...”

Buffy interrupted him, not giving him a chance to finish; “Don’t get me wrong. Your dad and I really like each other and I guess you can say we’re sort of a couple now, but moving in together is a really big step and it’s not something you do, until you’re absolutely sure it’s right. Do you understand?”

He nodded. ”Sure. But...”

“Just let me finish!” Billy closed his mouth, rolling his eyes as Buffy continued; “I’m not saying it’s never going to happen, because you never know, right? But it’s way too soon to even think about stuff like that yet. Maybe when...” Her voice trailed off as she saw the look on Billy’s face and frowned. “What?”

The boy gave her a strange look, appearing to be somewhat amused. “Just wondered if you’re gonna stay here when Dad goes to LA tomorrow. Or am I gonna stay at your house?”

“Oh. That’s... Oh.” Buffy felt her cheeks turn bright red and she wished the floor would just open up and swallow her. Clearly she had misunderstood Billy’s innocent question, and she cringed with embarrassment as she realized how much personal information she had let slip out in her desperate attempt of explaining the situation.

Praying that Billy would let her keep what little dignity she felt she had left and just let it go, she forced a smile. “Well, I don’t know. I guess it would probably be best if I just stayed here at your house. After all, you’ve got all your stuff here. Of course, I’ll have to discuss it with your dad, but I think that’s...” She swallowed and finished, weakly; “...the smartest thing to do.”

“Okay.” Billy nodded in acceptance and Buffy let out a sigh of relief. Then he raised a brow, a smirk on his face so similar to Spike’s that she would have laughed, had she not been so embarrassed. “So, you and my dad are together now, huh? I knew it!”

“I...” Buffy suddenly felt like her head was spinning, having absolutely no idea what to say.

Thankfully, Spike chose that moment to enter the kitchen, saving her from further embarrassment. “Hey, where’s the snacks? Movie starts in two minutes.”

“It’s a DVD,” Billy objected with a frown on his face. “Starts whenever we want.”

“Exactly.” Spike nodded, winking at Buffy. “And I want it to start in two minutes, so you two better get your butts in here.” Picking up the tray with three bottles of soda, three spoons, and a large bowl of ice-cream that Buffy had put on the kitchen table before making the popcorn, he went back into the living room.

Buffy couldn’t help but giggle. “You heard him; we better get in there. Wouldn’t wanna miss the beginning.” Billy let out a snort, but followed her without objections.


*~*~*


Almost two hours later, when the movie had finally come to an end, Spike glanced briefly at Buffy before turning to his son. “Getting late, buddy. Better get ready for bed.”

Opening his mouth to protest, Billy then seemed to change his mind. Instead he nodded, although somewhat reluctantly. “Right.” Spike was surprised, having half expected an outburst. But the truth was, Billy had been unusually quiet and obedient all day, and Spike suspected that the boy just didn’t want to do or say anything that would jeopardize his staying with Buffy for the next couple of days.

Buffy smiled at the boy. “Night, Billy. See you tomorrow. We’ll have a great time.”

“Yeah.” Billy hesitated for a moment before looking at his father. “Have you talked to Mum? Does she know you’re coming?”

“Um...” Spike looked a little taken aback. “The doctor called and said she would finally be ready for visitors, but I haven’t talked to her myself. Why?”

“Was just wondering. No big deal.” Billy shrugged. “What if she doesn’t wanna sign the papers?”

Spike cast a glance at Buffy and she immediately took the hint, jumping up from the couch. “I’ll just clear off the table and go get the dish washer started. Excuse me.” She got a grateful smile from Spike and gave him a soft peck on the cheek.

When Buffy had left the room, Spike took a deep breath and turned to Billy, a serious expression on his face. “She’ll sign ‘em, all right? When I get back, it’ll all be over. Trust me.”

But Billy didn’t look totally convinced. “Don’t you think she’ll get mad when she hears about you and Buffy?”

“Nah, I’m not worried ‘bout that.” Spike waved his hand in dismissal. Of course, he had no intention of letting Dru know he was seeing someone. He wasn’t stupid, after all. Knowing Dru, she wouldn’t take something like that very well. And the last thing he wanted was to get into a fight tomorrow. He just wanted to get the divorce papers signed and be done with it. If he was lucky, Drusilla would cooperate.

“So, she’s better now?” Billy gave him a questioning look, clearly not knowing what to believe.

“Yeah.” Spike hesitated, not wanting to lie to his son, but at the same time not sure just how much Billy would really understand. He had always tried to be honest, but sometimes, it was really hard.

The boy looked skeptical. “Then why does she have to stay at the hospital?”

“Because...” Feeling the frustration well up inside him, Spike closed his eyes for a moment. This was bloody unfair. How was he supposed to be able to explain such a thing to a ten-year-old?

“Never mind, I get it.” Billy picked up some left-over popcorn, having fallen out of the bowl, but made no motion of eating them. “She’s better, but she’s not well, either. Right?”

Staring at his son, Spike suddenly didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. The kid was bright; no question about it, probably understanding a lot more than most people would give him credit for. But that was just it. Smart or not, Billy was still just a kid. He shouldn’t have to understand these things yet. Letting out a sigh, Spike nodded. “Yeah, that’s about it.”

“Thought so.” Billy nodded, a thoughtful expression on his face. “Will she ever be?”

Spike opened his mouth, about to say yes, then stopped himself, knowing that he had no right to make such a promise. “I don’t know,” he finally admitted.

Billy seemed to accept the honest answer, much to Spike’s relief. He nodded again and got up from the couch. “Going to bed now.”

“You do that.” Spike found himself wishing for a smoke. That, or a strong drink. Or possibly both. “See you in the morning.”

“Night.” Billy dropped the crumpled pieces of popcorn on the table, wiped his hands on his t-shirt and headed for the stairs.

A couple of minutes later, Buffy appeared in the doorway. “Hey.” She glanced around the room to make sure Billy was gone before holding up a bottle of red wine. “Thought you could use a drink by now.” Taking a hesitant step into the room, she bit her lip nervously.

Slumping back against the pillows, Spike patted the couch next to him. “Get over here, luv. And bring that bottle.” He paused, giving her a small smile. “You’re right; a drink’s exactly what I need right now.”

“I figured.” Buffy made her way over to the couch and sat down, putting the bottle and two wine glasses down on the table. “Billy okay?”

“Think so.” Reaching for the bottle, Spike opened it and poured some of the red liquid into the glasses. “Got a lot on his mind right now.”

Buffy nodded in understanding. “Can’t blame him.” A pause. “And what about you? Are you okay?”

“Yeah, sure.” He responded quickly, avoiding Buffy’s eyes as he handed her one of the glasses. “Here you go, pet.”

“Thanks.” She watched him in silence for a moment, taking a small sip of her wine. “So, I take it you don’t wanna talk about it.”

For a brief moment, he considered playing dumb and claim to have no idea what she was talking about, but decided against it. Buffy wasn’t stupid. Instead he sighed. “Just not sure what you want me to say.”

“How about the truth?” Buffy gave him a patient look. “How do you really feel about going to see your wife tomorrow?”

Ex wife,” he stated, automatically. “Look, Buffy, I realize this has to be weird for you. I’m sorry for putting you through this.”

“Don’t be.” She took his hand, squeezing it softly. “Spike, I’m okay with this. Billy and I’ll be fine, and we’ll both be here when you get back. But please don’t change the subject. I was asking about you.”

“I know.” Spike was quiet for a moment. “Truth is, I don’t know how I feel about it. Not looking forward to it, but at the same time, I can’t wait to get it over with. That make any sense?”

Buffy got a sympathetic look on her face. “Yeah, it makes perfect sense.” She paused for a moment. “Honestly, I can’t wait for you to get it over with, either. I’ll miss you.”

He brought her hand up to his lips, placing a soft kiss on her knuckles. “I’ll miss you, too, luv.” More than you even realize, he thought. Now he could only pray that things would go smoothly in LA. Because right now, the only thing he wanted was to put an end to his miserable excuse for a marriage once and for all, so that he, Buffy, and Billy would all be able to start their new lives together.


TBC