Author's Chapter Notes:
So, the last of my WIP stories coming to an end. Feels both sad and really good at the same time. Right now, I'm thinking of taking a break. I do have another story that wants to be written, though. We'll just have to wait and see when or if that will happen. I'd like to thank Tammy for betaing this story for me. Also thanks to u2fan2005 for the two lovely banners. And last but not least; a huge thanks to those of you who have kept showing me your support on this story, both here and on LJ. Love you all!
Photobucket




35



~epilogue – four months later~


“Hey, Dad, look!”

Looking up from the book he was reading, Spike’s eyes fell on the little black fur ball in Billy’s arms. He raised a brow and put the book down. “And who might this little fella be?”

Billy kept patting the kitten, lovingly. “This is Han Solo.”

“Excuse me?” Eyes widening in horror, Spike turned to Buffy who appeared in the doorway behind Billy. “No bleedin’ way!”

Buffy raised her hands in a defensive gesture. “Don’t look at me, wasn’t my idea. He’s the one who came up with the name.”

“Did not!” Billy protested, turning his attention away from the cat for a brief moment. “You’re the one who said...”

“All right, all right, fine!” Buffy let out a defeated sigh. “So it was my idea. Happy now?” Billy got a pleased look on his face as he slumped down on the couch, still cradling his new pet tenderly in his arms. She rolled her eyes. “You know, just this one time, you could’ve lied.”

The boy merely shrugged, not even looking up. “Lying’s bad.”

“Let’s get back to the, um...” Spike nodded towards the cat, a wary expression on his face. “You two better be joking, ‘cause there’s no way in hell I’ll ever be able to call him that with a straight face.”

“Oh, come on, honey!” Buffy pouted as she sat down next to Billy, reaching out to scratch the kitten gently behind the ear. “He’s adorable, and the name suits him perfectly. Besides...” She paused, unable to hold back a giggle. “...it was either that, or Jabba the Hutt.” Spike just stared at her, not even dignifying that with an answer.

“Gonna take him upstairs and show him where he’ll be sleeping tonight,” Billy stated eagerly, jumping up from the couch. He threw a look at his father as he went on; “Buffy said he can sleep in my room.”

“Did she now?” Spike glanced at Buffy, whose face was the perfect picture of innocence. The boy nodded.

Buffy shrugged, giving Spike a sweet smile before turning back to Billy with a firm expression. “Remember; the bed’s off limits. And if he makes a mess on the floor, you’ll clean it up.”

Billy nodded again. “Got it.” And he was gone.

Spike shook his head in amusement. “And you say I’m spoiling him. Cat’s gonna sleep right next to him on the pillow and you know it.”

Having the decency to blush, Buffy stubbornly avoided his eyes. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

He let out a snort. “Course not.” A pause. “So, did you tell him?”

“What?” Buffy’s eyes widened in surprise. “No, of course not! Spike, we had this conversation last night. We agreed to tell Billy together, remember?”

“I know.” He lowered his eyes, looking slightly ashamed. “Just thought maybe you couldn’t wait.”

Buffy mock glared at him, appearing to be somewhat offended by his assumption. “Nice to know you have so much faith in me.”

“I’m sorry, luv.” Spike gave her an apologetic look, reaching for her hand. “Didn’t mean it like that. It’s just that...” He hesitated. “Well, let’s face it, it’s pretty big news.”

“Yes, it is.” Buffy nodded in agreement, giving his hand an assuring squeeze. “And that’s why Billy’s gonna hear it from both of us.” A beat. “How do you think he’ll react?”

“Dunno.” Spike got a thoughtful look on his face. “Might need some time to get used to the idea of suddenly becoming a big brother. Think he’ll be excited, though.”

“Yeah, me too.” Buffy smiled a little. “Actually, I bet he’ll be thrilled. Why don’t we just go tell him right now?” She started to get up.

Spike grabbed her arm to stop her. “What’s the rush? Give him some time to play with...” He rolled his eyes. “...his new friend.”

Buffy giggled. “Sooner or later, you’re gonna have to say the name out loud.”

He snorted. “Not bloody likely.”

“Okay, now you’re just being ridiculous.” Buffy’s face was a mixture of irritation and amusement. “It’s just a name. What’s the big deal?”

“S’a poncy name!” Spike grimaced. “Seriously, pet, Han Solo’s a soddin’ nancy-boy.”

“He’s not!” Buffy frowned. “Whatever that means. I think he’s cute.” Spike stared at her, baffled, and she grinned. “You’re just jealous.”

“Yeah, right!” Spike scoffed. Then he became serious. “You know, part of me still can’t believe all of this is real.”

“I know what you mean.” Buffy’s smile faded and she suddenly looked a little uncertain. “But it’s a good thing, right? I mean, you are happy about this?” She put her hand over her still flat belly.

He raised a brow, giving her an incredulous look. “You’re kidding, right? Or are you actually saying you can’t tell?”

Buffy visibly relaxed. “No, I know how you feel. Never mind. Must be the hormones, playing on my insecurities. Just forget I said anything.” Spike watched her for a moment, then nodded in acceptance.

When he slipped his arm around her shoulders, Buffy immediately scooted closer, happily snuggling up against his chest. It was the truth; she didn’t doubt him or his feelings for a second. Still, she couldn’t deny the fact that her life had suddenly taken a whole new turn. From now on, nothing would ever be the same again.

Of course, things were about to change – drastically – for all of them, over the next couple of months. And she was happy. Happier than she could remember ever being before. Never in her wildest dreams had she seen this coming, though. She and Spike had always been so careful. Well, except for that one time, she thought, figuring that some things were just meant to be.

Much to Buffy’s relief – seeing how she still considered the house to be her last connection to her mother – Spike had not objected when she suggested him and Billy moving in with her instead of the other way around. He had no problems with that. And Billy had just been excited about the whole thing, although he kept asking when they were going to get married.

Spike had turned out to be right in his prediction that things would change for the better. He and Billy rarely had an argument these days, although they kept bickering from time to time. The two of them were more alike than either of them wanted to admit, something she found both amusing and sweet. Of course, she knew better than calling either of them ‘sweet’, since doing so would without doubt result in a sour look and loud objections.

Her friends, Willow and Xander, had questioned the fact that she – who had never dated a guy for longer than a week – had taken such a huge step so soon, but when they realized she was truly happy, they had stopped arguing. Of course, Willow had turned to Spike with her resolve face, calmly stating that if he ever hurt her best friend in any way, she would gladly beat him to death with a shovel.

She couldn’t help but feel a small pang in her chest whenever she thought of her mom, knowing that she would never be able to see her grandchild. Buffy had a feeling Joyce would have really liked Spike, and she knew her mother would be happy for her. Still, naturally, it made her feel a little sad.

“What are you thinking about, pet?”

Spike’s voice snapped her out of her thoughts, and she smiled a little. “Just thinking how lucky I am.” She paused. “Sometimes I’m afraid this is all just a dream, you know?”

“Yeah, well, s’not.” He pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, and she let out a blissful sigh. “’Sides, hasn’t all been a picnic.”

“Yeah.” Buffy was quiet for a moment. Spike was right, of course. Thinking back at everything that had happened since they first met, it was a wonder they had made it this far.

Spike watched her in silence, his thoughts wandering in the same direction. Not even six months ago, he had not expected to find love ever again. To tell the truth, after his disastrous marriage, he hadn’t even wanted to. But then he met Buffy, and from that moment, everything had changed.

Buffy had turned out to be the rock for him – and Billy, for that matter – to lean on, and he didn’t even want to think about where they would be today if she hadn’t entered their lives. His love for her only seemed to grow stronger each day, and he supposed that the fact that she fully returned his feelings would never completely cease to amaze him.

Billy still went to his weekly therapy sessions, and Spike could clearly see a change in his behavior. Not only did the boy appear to be calmer and less aggressive; he also seemed genuinely happy these days. And that alone meant more to Spike than he would ever be able to express in words.

Although a part of him would never completely forgive himself for not leaving Dru sooner, the guilt he still struggled with from time to time got a little easier to handle with Buffy’s never-ending love and support. And he was relieved beyond words that she and Billy were getting along so well.

Actually, the two of them would gang up on him from time to time, just for the sake of it, and while he made a show of acting offended, he didn’t really mind. In all honesty, he was grateful that Billy finally had a loving and caring mother figure in his life. He just wondered how well Billy would react when he realized that he would have to share Buffy’s attention with a new-born baby. Things sure were about to get interesting.

Speaking of Billy, the boy in question chose that moment to come rushing down the stairs. “Going to Connor’s house. He wants to see Han. That okay?”

“Sure.” Spike nodded with a shrug, ignoring the way Buffy tried to stifle a giggle. “Just be back in time for dinner.” Mumbling something in agreement, Billy quickly left the house, the kitten safely scooped up in his arms. Connor was the eleven year old boy who had moved into Spike and Billy’s old house, along with his parents – Liam and Nina. As it had turned out, he and Billy had hit it off right away.

“So...” As soon as Billy was gone, he turned to Buffy, expectantly. “Just the two of us, eh?”

“M-hm.” She put on an innocent expression. “Whatever will we do to pass the time?”

He raised a brow, suggestively. “Have a few ideas, if you’re interested.”

“I’ll think about it. Let you know when I’m done.” Buffy giggled at the look on his face.

“Bloody hilarious, pet.” Spike got up, holding out his hand towards her. She took it without hesitation, allowing him to pull her to her feet. Their eyes met and he gave her a sexy grin, curling his tongue behind his teeth. They never made it up the stairs.


The End