Chapter Seven:

There are moments in life when events happen that really cause you to appreciate everything you have and make you especially repentant towards everyone you've wronged. This was one of those moments for Buffy. Mommy and daddy, I'm so sorry I yelled at you and called you superficial soul-suckers when you wouldn't let me stay out past midnight on my first date with Billy Ford when I was 15. And mommy, I'm sorry I replaced your sleeping pills with ephedrine when I was 17 and you told me to turn down my stereo, so you could get some rest. Daddy, I'm sorry I'm not on my way to becoming a politician or a lawyer. I love you both so much and hope I still make you proud. If I make it through this, I'll call you every day. If I make it through this, I'll be a better listener to my friends. If I make it through this, I'll be the best bartender's assistant I can be. If I make it through this I'll...I'll...I'll let this jerk have the damn cookies.

Spike glanced at the girl on the floor beside him. Poor thing’s shaking like a leaf. He gently placed his hand on the small of her back.

Buffy jumped at Spike’s light touch. She tried to give him a slight smile to reassure him that she wasn’t totally freaking out, but from his expression, she gathered she had failed. At the sound of more yelling from the front of the store, she found her eyes riveted back to the masked man. Masked man. Who was that masked man? Isn’t that what they always say in old westerns? Batman. Spiderman. Those are masked men. I wish one of them was here right now.

Keeping one hand on Buffy, Spike watched the scene unfold at the front of the store. That’s right, mate, give him whatever he wants. No heroes here. I don’t think any of us is ready to go out in a blaze of glory. The cashier was probably no older than nineteen and looked about ready to piss himself. Spike was thankful that he wasn’t displaying any bravado and was instead passing a steady stream of bills to the robber who was then shoving them into his bulky coat. A bulky coat and a ski mask at this time of year. Is there no law enforcement in this neighborhood? After what seemed like hours but in reality was probably no longer than two or three minutes, the robber bolted from the store. Spike waited only a moment before jumping up and running to the front of the store.

“Do you have the keys?!”

The kid behind the register looked startled. “Wha—?”

“Do you have the keys, mate? We need to get this door locked.”

When the kid still didn’t move, Spike shouted, “NOW!”

The kid jumped and started bumbling around behind the counter. He finally pulled out a ring of keys and tossed them to Spike who caught them in the air with a steady hand that belied his racing heart. Spike quickly locked the door and tossed the keys on the counter.

“What’s your name, mate?”

The cashier looked at Spike with vacant eyes. “Uh…”

“Your name?” Spike repeated patiently.

Finally, something seemed to click in the kid’s head. “It’s… it’s Scott. My name is Scott.”

“Well, all right, Scott,” Spike said softly. “You did a really good job. You kept us all safe. What I need you to do now is call the police and report what happened. We’ll wait here with you, so we can all talk to the officers together.”

Scott nodded slowly and picked up the phone.

Spike took a deep breath. We’ll wait here with you. We. Bloody hell! The girl! Spike had been so intent on getting the store locked up that he had totally forgotten about the girl. He rushed over to the aisle where he had left her. He found her still lying in the same spot on the floor. I’m such a git. I shouldn’t have just left her like that.

Spike squatted down by Buffy’s head. “Luv? Pet, are you all right? It’s over now. Why don’t you get up off the floor?”

Buffy blinked up at Spike. “Is he gone?”

Spike smiled at Buffy, “Yeah, pet, he’s gone. The police are on the way. It’s all over.” Spike gently took her arm and maneuvered her body until she was in a standing position. Spike noticed that she was leaning heavily into his chest. Such a tiny little thing, really.

Spike ran his hands up and down Buffy’s back in what he hoped was a soothing manner and felt her sag even more against him. “Luv, let’s find you a place to sit down.” Spike felt Buffy start to lower her body to the floor and he held fast. “Not there, luv. I think there’s a chair behind the register.” He carefully steered her towards the front of the store. Sure enough, he spotted two chairs behind the register, one of which was currently occupied by Scott. Spike led Buffy to the empty chair and held her arm as she slowly lowered herself to a seated position. It was at that time that Spike noticed the wail of sirens and could see the red and blue flashing lights through the glass door.

Spike grabbed the keys off the counter and made his way towards the door, gesturing for Scott to follow. Scott mindlessly trailed after Spike as he opened the door and allowed the officer to enter the store.

“Who is Scott?” the officer asked. Spike looked towards the nervous kid.

“I am, s-s-sir.” Scott stuttered to the officer.

“Scott, I’m Officer Gunn. You reported a robbery?”

“Yes, sir,” Scott said a little more confidently. “A man pointed a gun at me and told me to empty the register or he’d shoot.”

The officer turned to Spike, “And you, sir? You witnessed the incident?”

“Yes, officer, though I was several feet away.”

“And the girl?” The officer nodded towards where Buffy sat behind the counter.

“She was with me in the aisle. I don’t think the robber knew we were there. If he did, he didn’t acknowledge it.” Spike glanced back over at Buffy. She was staring into space with a blank expression on her face.

“Look, officer,” Spike began, “I think the girl’s had a bit of a shock. We really didn’t see any more than Scott here. Can I take her home? I promise I’ll call the station first thing in the morning and tell you everything I know, but I’m certain it will be of little help.”

The officer looked towards Buffy again and seemed to be mulling over Spike’s proposal in his head.

“Fine, get her out of here, but if you think of any important details, call the station immediately.” The officer turned back toward Scott.

Spike slipped away from the two men and went around the register and squatted in front of Buffy. He noticed blood on her knee. How did I not see that before?

“You’re bleeding, pet.” Must have caught her knee on the shelves when I knocked her to the floor.Buffy’s eyes got wide when she took in the blood on her leg. Her breathing became heavier.

“Relax, luv, it’s just a scratch. You’re fine.” Spike put his finger under her chin and tilted her head back up. Forcing her to look into his eyes, he asked, “Do you live nearby?”

Buffy swallowed, “Uh…yeah…my apartment is a few blocks away.”

Spike nodded, “Well, my flat is just half a block over. Why don’t you come home with me and let me see to your knee, then we can call you a cab from there.”

Buffy shook her head, “No…no, that’s okay. I can just walk home from here. It’s not bad.”

“Let me try this again, luv.” Spike took a breath. “You are coming home with me and I am going to see to your knee.

Buffy opened her mouth to object, but noticing Spike’s determined expression, thought better of it. “Okay, your place it is.”


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks again to all my readers. If I continue with this story, we still have quite a journey ahead of us. I have half of chapter eight already completed. I'll finish it today or tomorrow if you're still interested. Let me know! Thanks!