Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, I've started my new (old) job. I'm not nearly as happy there as I was at my old workplace. I actually had a nightmare about it the other day. I guess I'll get used to it, though. So far, it's definitely making it harder to write...time-wise and stress-wise. Regardless, I hope you like Chapter 14. Thanks!
Chapter Fourteen:

If Spike had expected Buffy to offer any explanation for her sudden departure from the Summers' homestead, he was sorely mistaken. She had lapsed into silence as soon as she instructed him to enter the vehicle. They'd only been driving for a few minutes, but still he figured she'd have plenty to say. Not like the girl was known for keeping her mouth shut any more than he was. The quiet in the car was almost eerie.

He gave her a sideways glance, "Buffy, pet...where are we going exactly?" He had about a million questions, but that one seemed to be the most urgent at the moment.

"Huh? Oh...yeah...I...uh....don't know." She swallowed and continued in a small voice, "I don't know...where we're going..."

Spike furrowed his brow. She didn't sound right. He strained to see her face in the dark car. "Buffy...luv, are you crying?" he asked softly.

"Nooo...of course not." Her shaky voice belied her words.

Spike sighed as he ran a hand through his messy locks. "Stop the car."

Buffy glanced at him curiously, "What? Why?"

"Just pull over, Buffy...please."

She did as he said and pulled to the side of the road. After she placed the car in park, she leaned back in her seat and closed her eyes. She really wasn't in the mood for conversation.

Spike shifted his body, so he was fully facing her. He opened and closed his mouth a couple of times before finding his voice, "Look, kitten, you can still go back. You don't have to do this. I'll be...fine." He paused and let out a breath, "You can even go to the hospital and visit...Riley," he clenched his teeth as he bit out the git's name.

Buffy's eyes remained closed, but she chuckled bitterly, "I didn't do this for you, Spike...well, you're part of it...but I did this for myself. I've lived under my father's thumb for way too long. I'm a grown woman. It's time I started to behave like one."

Spike held back the comments he wanted to make about his firsthand knowledge that she was a grown woman. He figured this was neither the time nor place for that sort of commentary. Instead, he hesitantly asked her, "So...what's the plan now, luv?"

She opened her eyes and stared blankly out the windshield. "I'm not sure, Spike...I..." she rubbed her hands on her face, "I don't know what to do. I have the money I received from my family for graduation, but all my credit cards are in my father's name...I...what I have will last a little while, but not forever..."

Spike thought over what she said for a moment, "Do you have any friends you could stay with, pet?"

Her lower lip trembled as she whispered her reply, "Most of my friends won't be too interested in me once daddy cuts me off. I have Faith...but she's been staying with Harmony and Cordelia, though there's no telling if she's there now. She kinda floats around...it's just...her way."

Spike smiled at her sympathetically, "Well...I have a little money from the record store. I doubt it's as much as you have, but it's something. God, if I wasn't such a bloody idiot, I'd have a couple thousand more..."

Buffy raised her eyebrow, "Drugs?"

Spike scoffed, "No, pet, not drugs. Must you always think the worst of me?" He shook his head in frustration. "Do you still think I'm just some worthless junkie? After everything I've told you? If so, then I'd really like to know why you invited me into your goddamn car. I'm trying to help you here," he bit out sharply, "Do you want my help or not?"

Buffy had the decency to look ashamed. "I'm sorry," she began quietly, "I don't think of you that way...not anymore. I didn't mean to offend you...I..." she looked up to meet his eyes, and his anger abated as he took in her moist hazel orbs shining in the moonlight, "I do want your help. Please...what do you think we should do?"

"Well..." he paused, "we should get a room somewhere." He noticed her startled expression and rolled his eyes as he explained, "It's late, and we both need sleep. It will be a lot easier to come up with a plan after we've rested for a bit. Don't you think?"

She bit her lip and nodded, "Yeah, you're right." She scrunched up her face in thought, "We could go to The Paradise." She jumped as Spike laughed boisterously. "What?" she asked crankily, "Why are you laughing at me?"

Spike continued to chuckle quietly, "Not laughing at you exactly, pet. It's just...The Paradise is the nicest hotel in town..." She shot him a 'so what' look. "Well, pet, I know you have a bit of money in your account from graduation and all, but we really should be spending as little as possible right now. We don't know how far our money will need to go yet."

Buffy felt her cheeks burn, "Oh...I didn't think of that." She blinked rapidly as her eyes welled up with tears. "God, you must think I'm a total idiot," she sniffled, feeling thoroughly embarrassed. She stared at her hands as they twisted the bottom of her t-shirt.

"Hey, pet..." Spike found himself reaching for her. He gently gripped her chin with his thumb and index finger and tilted her head to face him. "Pet...sweetheart," he smiled softly, "I don't think you're an idiot...not at all. You just aren't used to being out on your own. No need to be ashamed. This is a huge step you're taking, and I'm very proud of you."

Buffy graced him with a watery smile. She wasn't sure why his approval meant so much to her...but it really did. She cleared her throat, "Okay...well...where should we go?"

He returned her smile, "I know just the place. Start driving, I'll give you directions."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Oh...my...god. Buffy blinked as she followed Spike's instructions and pulled into a small parking lot. She stopped the car and stared slack-jawed through the window. Holy shit. This was, by far, the rattiest place she'd ever seen. She squinted at the neon sign. A few of the letters were out, but she was pretty sure it said Shady Oaks Inn. She thought that sounded more like the name of a nursing home than a hotel. Half of the building was made of crumbling brown bricks and the other half was covered in hideous orange siding. It looked like someone had just taken two ugly, old structures and slapped them together. The rooms weren't even inside. She saw several doors with tarnished brass numbers on them lining the building. She should have known what she was in for as soon as they pulled into the bad part of town, but unlike Faith, she didn't frequent this area.

"One or two, pet?"

She glanced over at Spike, confused, "Huh? One or two?"

"One or two rooms," he clarified patiently.

"Oh." Buffy looked out the window again and found that she was rather horrified at the prospect of being left on her own at this seedy establishment. She didn't want to give Spike the wrong idea...if it even was the wrong idea, but she mumbled, "One would probably be best..."

Spike nodded, "All right then...I'll get tonight, pet." With that, he exited the vehicle. Buffy immediately hit the locks and slumped down in her seat. This place was creepy.

Only a few minutes later, she found herself standing behind Spike as he inserted a key into the rusty lock of room 16. He threw open the door and gestured for her to enter. He followed her and soon found himself colliding with her back. He grabbed her shoulders to steady them both, "Whoa! Are you okay, luv?"

"Ummm...yeah...." She shrugged out of his grip and tossed her duffel on the bed closest to the bathroom, slightly surprised that Spike had actually gotten a room with two beds. She wrapped her arms around her body and studied her surroundings. Olive green shag carpeting. Gaudy floral comforters on the beds. Water stains on the walls and ceiling. Yep, this was one classy joint.

Spike tilted his head and regarded her curiously, "You sure you're okay, pet?" She nodded slowly. "Well, I'm gonna hit the shower. Do you need in there first?"

"No...no...I think I'm just gonna try to get some sleep."

He nodded and walked into the small bathroom. As he closed the door behind him, Buffy unzipped her duffel and rummaged for sleepwear. Quickly changing into a soft, cotton nightshirt, she pulled the covers back on the bed and dropped onto the lumpy mattress.

She was still wiggling around, desperately trying to find a comfortable position when she heard the bathroom door open. She glanced up and inhaled sharply. Oh god. Spike entered the room wearing only a small towel barely covering his groin. It reminded Buffy of that first day in the guest house, except this time his skin was damp from the shower he had just taken. Her eyes followed his glistening body as he meandered over to the bed near the door. Buffy heard someone clear their throat. It took a moment for it to occur to her that they were the only two people in the room. She jerked her head up and found herself gazing into a very amused set of deep blue eyes.

Spike smirked and ran a hand down his firm chest, "Like what you see, kitten?"

Oh, I...I..I was just..." Buffy stammered, blushing furiously.

Spike's smile grew, "I don't care if you watch, pet, but I should warn you...I don't plan on sleeping in this towel." He started to tug on the towel, and Buffy quickly flipped over to face the bathroom. A second later, she heard the soft sound of the towel hitting the floor. Letting out a shaky breath, she tried to get her heart rate under control. She narrowed her eyes when she heard Spike chuckling behind her.

"Oh, be quiet!" she grumbled. "Not everyone is an exhibitionist like you."

He laughed, "Whatever, luv. It's not like you haven't seen it all before."

"Spike! We are so not going there tonight! Just...shut up and go to sleep." She burrowed further into the scratchy hotel blankets.

Still chuckling softly, Spike conceded, "Okay, okay, pet. Goodnight, Buffy."

There was silence for a moment before he heard her muffled reply.

"Night, Spike."


Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked it! Let me know if you're still with me! Thanks!