Author's Chapter Notes:
*Thanks to Vette for my banner!* I am so, so sorry it's taken me so long to update. As some of you know, between my new job and well, life—I've been feeling a bit off lately. It's made it really difficult for me to write. Hope my readers are still out there to support me! Thanks!
Chapter Fifteen:

Buffy felt something tickling her nose, but she couldn't be bothered to open her eyes to investigate. She had tossed and turned all night in the uncomfortable hotel bed, and now, when she was finally sleeping relatively soundly, she gets awakened by something feathery brushing her face over and over again.

Finally giving in, she cracked one eye open. Fuck.

"Good morning, Princess."

"Spike, what are you doing?" she whined as he again moved the lock of her hair across her face.

He grinned widely, "Waking you up."

She muttered a few obscenities as she pulled the blankets over her head. A moment later, they were ripped from her body.

"Spike! What the fuck?!" She glared up at him as he stood beside the bed smiling, still gripping the stolen covers tightly in his hands. She was about to relate to him exactly what she thought of his antics when she noticed his eyes darken and his smug grin slowly fade.

She looked at him curiously, "What? Why are you looking at me like that?" She followed his line of sight and squealed when she reached her body. Apparently, her nightshirt had risen to her waist during the night, and she was now giving Spike a spectacular view of her lacy white panties. She quickly pulled the shirt down to her thighs. "God, were you just going to stand there and stare at me!" she yelled as Spike continued to gaze at her legs.

He shook his head, "Hmmm....what?"

Rolling her eyes, Buffy shifted in the bed and reached up to tug her blankets out of Spike's hands. As they fell away from his body, she got another surprise.

"Shit, Spike! You're...you're..." she gestured wildly at his naked form, "God, why didn't you put clothes on before you woke me up?!"

Buffy's cheeks burned as she turned her head away from the lean, hard body standing no more than a foot from the bed. She could almost kick herself for not taking the time to admire his beautifully shaped form, but she was really trying hard not to encourage him in that way. Apparently, she was failing miserably as he seemed to take nearly everything she did as encouragement.

Keeping her eyes focused on the wall, she continued, "Could you please put some pants on? Actually, a shirt would be good too."

She felt her hackles rise when the bastard started chuckling at her discomfort.

"You know what, forget it. I'm gonna take a shower. Surely, you can find it in you to get dressed once I'm not in the room to torment." With that, she bounced off of the bed and grabbed her duffel bag. She kept her eyes trained on the bathroom door and tried to ignore the tingles she felt when her arm inadvertently brushed against his as she stomped off to the small washroom. The bleached blond menace just continued laughing all the while. She could still hear him as she closed the door behind her. Stupid, arrogant jerk.

Buffy took her time in the small shower and had managed to make herself feel almost human by the time she was done. As she pulled on a pair of dark designer jeans and a fitted light green t-shirt, she couldn't help but wonder what she was going to do next...what they were going to do. She had already admitted to herself that she needed him. Though, she was trying not to think about it right now, she had a feeling that even if she didn't need the man, she'd have a hard time letting him go. She was just going to have to save that thought and analyze it later.

She twisted her damp hair into a loose bun. She gave herself one last quick look in the mirror above the sink before pulling open the door and stepping back into the main room.

Spike was now fully-dressed right down to his boots. He was lounging in a chair near the door absently smoking a cigarette. She hoped he was trying to formulate a plan...preferably one that got them out of this grungy hotel.

She tossed her duffel on her bed and narrowed her eyes at him, "Are you supposed to be smoking in here?"

He raised an eyebrow at her and continued taking a long drag from his cigarette, "Look around, luv. All the rooms are smoking rooms here or didn't you notice the five ashtrays?"

She frowned at him, "Well, I don't want all my stuff smelling like nasty smoke."

He studied her for a moment before his lips formed a tight smile. "Fine." He stubbed out the fag in the nearest ashtray. "Happy?"

She gave him an incredulous look, "Yes, Spike, I'm thrilled. I went from a huge, comfortable house to a creepy shithole in one night. I'm ecstatic."

"Oi!" He sat up straight. "No one asked you to leave! I'm sure you can toddle on home like a good girl, and mummy and daddy will forgive you for the little runner you pulled." He grumbled, "This is the thanks I get for trying to help you..."

She closed her eyes. He was right, and she knew it. She had chosen to run away, and she didn't regret that decision. She was just acting like the spoiled brat that she'd been raised to be. Well, no more.

She opened her eyes and had to bite back a giggle when she saw that Spike was actually pouting in his chair by the door. Everything about him screamed danger, but he looked almost like a little boy with his lips puffed out like that.

"You're right, Spike. I'm sorry. I was being ungrateful. I want you to help me. I don't want to go to my parents' house, so...what's next?" She took a seat on her bed and tilted her head at him curiously.

Spike was a bit mollified by her apology. It was more than he expected, so he decided to ignore her earlier outburst and get on with the business of planning their day.

"Well, pet, I was thinking we would go by the record store to check if I still have a job. Then, we'll see if we can find you a nice 'starter job.' Obviously, I'll be looking for one as well if the store let me go. Our funds won't last forever, and you've made it clear you want out of this shithole." He rolled his eyes as he said the last word.

Buffy chewed on her lip for a minute before looking to him for clarification, "Sooo, we're gonna have to stay here for awhile, you think?"

He nodded, "Probably best, luv, it's cheap and I know the area."

She eyed him suspiciously, "Just how well do you know the area?"

He gave her a little half grin, "Well enough that we'll be walking today. I used to live in this neighborhood. The record store is a couple of blocks away. Everything you need is right here. Plenty of little hole in the wall stores, a small market, a couple of coffee shops, a million bars. This is a good place to hang out for awhile."

She sighed, "Fair enough...so record store first?"

Spike was surprised but pleased when she didn't protest the idea of an extended stay at the hotel. "That's the plan, luv. You ready?"

"Almost." She pulled on a pair of black flip-flops. "Okay, good to go."

He eyed her feet, "Sure you can walk in those?"

"Of course!" She smiled, "I can tango in 4 inch heels. Hitting the pavement in flip-flops is nooo problem."

He shrugged as they both stepped out of the dark hotel room into the bright sunshine.

She glanced up at him with a grin, "At least it's a nice day."

Buffy trailed after Spike as they moved out into the neighborhood. It was an old area of town and there were indeed many small businesses lining either side of the road, as well as some slightly frightening looking apartment buildings. No less scary than the Shady Oaks Inn she supposed, but definitely not places she could ever imagine calling home.

Spike gestured ahead of them, "Record store—Black Heart Records by the way—is just ahead on the left."

Buffy snorted, "Nice name...so how long did you say you worked there?"

"Just about...." he trailed off suddenly, staring intently in front of them. "Shit..." he muttered under his breath.

Buffy furrowed her brow. "What? What is it?" She glanced ahead of them and noticed a thin brunette stepping out of the record store. Spike had slowed to a stop, but the woman in the crushed velvet dress had zeroed in on them and was heading their way. Buffy glanced up at the frozen man next to her. "What is it, Spike? Who's that?"

He let out a long sigh and disdainfully spat out a name, "Drusilla."


Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked it! Let me know if you're still with me! Thanks so much!