Author's Chapter Notes:
Flashbacks will be the norm for the first few chapters of this story! Don't worry I'll include Spikes and Buffy's first meeting and more details on the Vampires!
One Year Earlier

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What the hell do you mean she bloody doesn't work at the Southside Gallery anymore?" Spike bellowed into the phone. The hapless and unlucky man on the other end of the phone stuttered and continuously repeated the sentence over and over until Spike slammed the phone down in frustration.

Frustrated, he resumed pacing in the hallway. ‘Alright, kitten, you've made your point. Buffy, please bloody come home', He thought desperately.

It was then a flash of white caught his eye. Walking over to the small table next to the door, Spike saw an envelope with his name on it, and next to it Buffy's key to his apartment. Tearing open the note, Spike read it aloud to himself.


Dear Spike,

I'm sorry things have to end like this. I can't live like this anymore; Katrina's death has reminded me that I can't be in your world any longer. I'll never regret a moment of being with you, I only regret that I couldn't be a stronger person to do the right thing, perhaps she'd still be alive. I'm going home. I'll always love you, baby.

Goodbye,

Buffy


Spike reread it twice. Fury flashed through his veins; this couldn't be all Buffy's idea, someone had pushed her and Spike had a pretty good idea who. Grabbing the blasted letter, he'd rushed out the door and started his Desoto. Driving like a madman, and running at least four red lights, he arrived at his destination; Chase and Lehane Attorney's at Law.

Storming through the doors, Spike didn't bother with the elevator, but jogged up the stairs, until he reached the third floor. Twenty seconds later, he stormed into Faith Lehane's office and slammed the door behind him.
"What the hell did you say to her, Lehane?" Spike shouted without preamble. Faith Lehane, one of the best lawyers in LA, and one of Buffy's best friends was very rarely afraid and this one was of those times. "What the fuck are you talking about Blondie?" However, that never affected her mouth. Faith jumped to her feet and crossed her arms, squaring off against the aggravated bleached menace in her office. "She's bloody gone, Lehane. So tell what the hell did you say to her?" Spike bellowed.

Even though she had been Buffy's best friend, Faith had been vocal in her disapproval of Buffy's relationship and had done everything to convince her friend to ditch him. Spike has likewise, been vocal in his dislike for Faith and her partner of the law firm; Cordelia Chase. The fact that Faith and Cordelia had aided a disgruntled stripper in suing several businesses in the Vampires' money machine (Spike's club among them) had done little to endear the Brunette Bitches, as they were called by the Vampires, to Spike. Spike put his face close to Faith's, speaking slowly and distinctly, anger in every syllable.
"Buffy came home last night and told me she was leaving. I thought she was goin' back to her apartment, but when I called her this morning, the number is disconnected, her landlord says the apartment is empty, and her employer says she quit her job. So please tell me, Lehane where the BLOODY FUCKIN' HELL IS MY GIRLFRIEND?"

Spike's voice rang loudly through out the building and Faith could see people turning to look through the open door of her office, seeking the source of the commotion. Suddenly, a young brunette walked through the door, shutting it behind her with a snap. "Faith, what the hell is going on here? Your secretary has been calling me sayin- Oh it's you Spike" Cordelia Chase warily eyed the enraged man in front of her. "What is going on?" She demanded glancing from Faith to Spike, putting her hands on her hips.
"On second thought, allow me to redirect the question. Spike what in the name of every demon, deity, or devil are you doing here?"
"Buffy's gone." Spike hissed, "someone gave her the idea to leave me and hide out somewhere. Considering how much you two hate me, I naturally thought of you."
"How lovely," Faith cooed sarcastically. "Nice to see that we're never far from your thoughts." Cordelia cut Spike off before he could lash out another retort. " Buffy didn't tell us she was leaving and I don't know where she is. Ok? Done acting like a lunatic yet?"
Spike remained silent and turned to head out the door. "Spike!" Faith's voice stopped him in his tracks and he turned to face her. "What, Lehane? Gonna rub it in?"

Faith glared for a moment and then spoke quietly. "Maybe you should focus more on finding out why she left, rather than where she is right now." Spike rolled his eyes and turned to leave, but Faith's next words stopped him dead in his tracks.

"She loves you Spike, but she didn't belong in that world and you know it. She gave up everything for you and you pulled her farther in. If you ever find her, I suggest you do some serious thinking about your choices. If you love her, you have only two choices. You give up the Vampires, or you give her up."


Doing his best to hide how her words affected him, Spike swept out of the office and headed to the elevator. ‘Give her up? Not Bloody Likely' he thought. If only he could find her and talk to her, explain everything- suddenly an idea hit him faster than a bolt of lightning. He whipped out his phone and dialed the familiar number.
A moment later a voice answered and a smile lit up Spike's face. "Wes, mate I need your help. No, I'm not in trouble and I don't need a lawyer! Not yet anyway. My girl Buffy and I had a misunderstanding the other day and she took off. No I'm not asking you to- look Wes, all I need is for you to track her down so's I can talk to her. Yeah she's about five foot-one, golden blonde hair, and her full name is Elizabeth Summers. What? How am I suppose to know how she got the name Buffy? Look just track her down, ok? Thanks, mate."

He hung up, confident that Wes would find his estranged lover and that she would be back in his arms and his bed in a few days, a week tops.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Present Day

‘A few days,' thought Spike ironically. ‘More like a few decades! The girl who could never play hide and seek without getting caught, manages to elude the best tracers in the country!' A knock on the door sounded, startling Spike out of his musings. He was determined not to answer the door until he heard a familiar voice. " Spike, are you in there? I've got some news- I think we've may have found Buffy!"