Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm sorry it took me so long to update, but when school started back up I got a little lazy on the fic front. I'll try to be better about that.
Homecoming

Willow sat in her seat, not sure if she was really seeing what she saw.

There stood, who appeared to be, Spike. Of course he looked different. His hair was a natural dark blonde, with sun streaks, and a vampire with a tan was not a normal occurrence. Not even in Sunnydale, the land of the strange. "Spike?"

He looked up just long enough to confirm the identity of the recovering Wicca. "Yeah, Red. It’s me."

An almost inaudible voice laced with disorientation came from his arms. "Spike?"

Spike looked into her hazel eyes. "Buffy. You alright now, love?"

"Spike?" She repeated still dazed as he brought her back to her seat at the table. Anya stepped forward.

"I’m sorry. She made the wish, and I didn’t even know you were in town until she said the ‘W’ word."

After he had settled a fuzzy headed Slayer into her seat, he turned to speak with Anya, who had changed back to her human form. "What happened?"

With a shrug the demon answered simply. "Well, she wished you were here."

Spike’s face contorted as confusion, then happiness filled him. It didn’t last long. Part of him wondered exactly why she would wish he was back. After all, Anyanka handled vengeance.

"I’m in it deep. Up to my knees." He shook his head, eyes closed.

All Spike could think as Buffy stared at him, was everything he wanted to profess to her, but had no idea how or where to start.

Willow stared at him, and was attacked with his thoughts. They were all things he wanted to say. She stared wide-eyed at the man. Then she realized the finer of the details. Spike was a man, but not just human.

"Uh…Buffy?" She tried to interrupt the moment gently.

Anya watched Willow’s face. "What’s happening Willow. Are you reading something?"

Willow didn’t hear her. "Spike?"

"Yeah. It’s me. We covered that, Red" This time he didn’t bother looking up, still studying the face he’d missed desperately.

Buffy, now more composed, looked at her arm, the one that had been wrapped around the oddly dressed man she still wasn‘t sure was real. He had been warm. Buffy looked back up at him, and honed her senses trying to detect the vampire.

Her senses were stronger than ever, age apparently not only doing great things for fine wine, but for the powers bestowed upon her years ago. What they told her was that her immediate space was vampire free. "Spike?"

"Yes, for anyone else who asking, I am Spike." He shook his head at the Slayer, wondering if the fainting spell had cased her brain to malfunction.

Buffy pushed back her seat and stood face to face with him, then motioned at him. "You’re human."

"Uh, Buffy?" Willow pleaded.

"You’re human?" Anya asked, smiling.

Buffy stared at him. She was most definitely traveling in an unfamiliar land right now, but curiosity and some anger were beginning to come to the forefront of her mind.

Anya looked back at Willow as the empath continued reading Spike’s surface thoughts. The red head still looked dazed and confused.

"It’s okay, Willow. He just told us. He‘s human again" Anya cleared that up very nicely she thought before adding. “does that make me the strange one now?”

Willow shook her head. "He didn’t tell us everything."

Spike looked at the recovering witch. "What’s that mean? You Readin’ minds now?" He said half joking.

"Yes. She does, Spike. So whatever you have to tell us, you better just get on with it or I’ll just ask Willow." Buffy crossed her arms.

He again turned his glance towards Willow who confirmed with a nod.

"I’m serious." Buffy said sternly.

"You think she can ‘andle it?" he asked Willow.

"No. But you better tell her or, like she said, I will."

Spike pulled out the vacant seat next to Buffy’s now empty seat. "You better be sitting for this one."

Without any further prompting, Buffy sat back down.

Spike looked at her hands placed in her lap and took carefully took one in his. "Right then, After.. after I left, I went to see a shaman. He told me about a place in Africa that might grant my wish if I passed the trials. I passed and was given back my soul. One of the tribesmen in the village that watched over the cave told me that my soul, William’s soul, had been strong and that, even though I was no longer a demon, my soul retained all memory of my past."

Buffy blinked a few times, but didn’t say a word. The other two ladies listened intently to the story being retold for the second time that day.

"Jumar, that’s the name of the fellow who explained this to me, also told me I was not the first one to go through the trials." Spike continued, and told the room how the first Slayer came to be. Although Willow already knew from what she had read in Spike’s mind, she was no less fascinated.

For Anya, it was a new revelation. Something most demons didn’t know.

Buffy was having trouble registering any of it. Spike. Human. Slayer. Vamp. Africa. Tests. The words were easy and familiar, putting them together was a whole different matter.

Spike finished by telling her that he’d stopped off in England before coming home to see if Giles could confirm any of what had happened to him. He’d seen Willow, Giles had given him some start-up money. Just as he was about to tell her his new career move, Dawn ran in.

The jingling of the bell rang through the nearly silent shop breaking the tension in the room, and snapping Buffy’s brain into some semblance of motion.

The teen was out of breath, and panted when she dropped her books on the counter. "Oh good." She walked over to the table and sat next to Willow. "You found him."

Buffy gaze broke from Spike’s eyes. "Found him. You mean you knew he was here?" She looked back at Spike and took her hand from his. "She knew you were here?"

"Oh, don’t get mad at him, Buff. I only found out last period," Dawn defended him. Then motioned to spike. "Meet my new History teacher."

That tidbit Willow hadn’t read. Both she and Buffy gave a resounding. "Huh?"

Then the facts all registered, and Buffy doubled over laughing. It was close to hystarics but was mostly just very undignified. A good old belly laugh the likes she hadn‘t been able to enjoy in, well, since Giles came to help Xander save the world a few months ago.

"Sure," she said between giggles. "Why not?" She stood up and looked at him. "You lived through most of it."

"Hey, now." He was hurt. "I’ll have you know I was educated at some of the finest universities."

Buffy’s face went serious, for almost one full second before she erupted in another round of laughter. "You’ll have me know?"

This time Willow joined in, along with Dawn. Anya wasn’t sure what was funny, but giggled with the infectious laughter.

The Slayer, now red faced, controlled her giggles, and took a few deep breaths while wiping the tears from the corners of her eyes. "Oh. I’m sorry. It’s just … you sound like Giles. All proper."

Spike smirked at them all, and reverted to his more comfortable speech. "Tha’s right. A whole new game of ˜kick the Spike”. Bloody chits. Do you have any idea what I went through?"

Willow raised her hand. "I had a clear view from here."

Spike looked across the table and cocked his head to the side. "Yeah. What’s up with that?"

"The fates," she answered simply.

Spike nodded as thought that explained everything. "Beginning to know the feeling."

"Wait a minute," Buffy interrupted "Did you say that the Slayer was a vampire?"

Spike nodded.

"And she was the only other vampire to pass the trials?"

Spike nodded again.

"So then you’re not just human, you’re…?"

Spike nodded again.

"Oh." She looked at him. Really looked at him again. This was William, but it was Spike. "So, then, you’re a whole new line of Slayer? Or is it just you? Or am I not the Slayer anymore?"

Spike tried to get her to slow her questions. "One at a time, love. All I know is what I told you."

"Not true," Dawn threw in. "You forgot to tell her about the new vamp in town."

"I already know about the vamp, and now I know what his connection is to the Slayer line." Buffy explained.

Spike smiled at her, then became more serious. "Buffy, Dawn said you thought he was after you and Faith, but he isn’t."

"But that vampire told me he was after the two Slay-" She put the pieces together. "Ohhh. Well then do you know who he is?"

He shook his head. "’Fraid not."

"Buffy. The book?" Anya reminded her.

Buffy grabbed Spikes hand without thinking. "Do you still have the book you used to heal Dru five years ago?"

"Du Lac?"

Buffy nodded.

"It’s at my place."

"And the key?"

He shook his head. "No idea."

"Well. I’ll go to the crypt and get the book. Where is it?" Buffy stood up, and started for the door.

"Not at the crypt."

She turned back around. "You just said…"

"I said it was at my place. Didn’t say I was staying at the crypt."

"Wait a minute, both of you." Dawn stood up. "He just came back after being gone for three months, and you’re just going off and do Slayer things?" Dawn looked between both of them.

"Would you rather I punched him?" Buffy asked plainly.

"No need," Spike answered. "Bitty Buffy already covered it."

Buffy looked at her sister, who was blushing.

"Knocked me clean over my desk."

Dawn turned her gaze to the newest Slayer pleading for him to be quiet.

"Even bloodied my nose a bit." Spike grinned back at Dawn.

"Okay. So all bases covered." Buffy surmised. "Where’s your place?
I’ll get the book."

Spike stood up. "Lemme go get it. Got to go back to the school anyway
An’ get my stuff before some kid runs off with it."

Buffy pointed out the window. "It’s daylight Spike."

He pointed at himself and reminded her. "All allergies have been cured, love."

"Right. Sorry."

Spike strode past her and to the door. "S’alright. Took me some getting used to too." He reached for the door, then yelled back at Buffy, "You comin’?"

"Go on. I’ll help Dawnie with any homework," Willow offered.

"Thanks." Buffy smiled and followed Spike out the door.

After the couple left, Dawn asked Willow, "How long until they’re all over each other?"

"I’d give them a day," Willow answered.

Anya shook her head. "I bet they copulate before they get back with the book."


Chapter End Notes:
Hmmm.... Kinda makes you wonder dunnit?