Author's Chapter Notes:
Hoping you all like what I came up with. It still cracks me up now that the show is over because, I wrote this before season seven had started and finished the last chapter sometime in the first month of airing. That in mind, I hope ya like Buffy's new job.
Real Life

The late morning light filled Willow's new home reflecting off the two silver charms resting on the kitchen table's surface. The floor was strewn with Scoobies, since no one felt like leaving after their angelic encounter. Willow hadn't bothered to go to her room. Instead, she was lying on the floor next to Dawn. Buffy, Spike and Xander also had fallen asleep on the floor. Anya had taken the couch.

As Sunday wore on, one by one the dormant fighters awoke. Spike was first, having had many years to fear the sun; this caused his human senses to still be wary of the natural light surrounding his body. When Buffy lost the pillow his shoulder had made, she also awoke. Dawn was next, after sensing the movement in the room. Before long, Willow and Xander roused, and Anya soon followed.

Cricks in necks and backs were stretched out, and brunch was prepared as the group continued discussing the early morning events.

Willow and Dawn retold stories of Tara. Spike remembered the taste of Joyce's hot cocoa. Dawn and Buffy recalled their mother's strength during her sickness, and the patience she had for everything after she accepted the truth of Buffy's calling.

Xander always loved Joyce like a mother, mostly because his own was so depressed or obsessed at all times. Joyce was caring, and had always treated him like he imagined his mom would have, if only she had been sober enough to do so. Even though he and Tara had known each other just a short time, he recalled her quiet ways and how good a person she had always been.

Anya smiled remembering Spike punching Tara, and for the first time since the surprise visit everyone laughed. Just like Spike, Anya always had respect for Joyce. She was a rare individual, and was missed.

Willow loved both Joyce and Tara, but seeing Tara had been easier than she would have imagined because she had been given a chance to talk to her love one last time.

Seated in various places, the group gobbled down eggs and toast while devising a plan of attack against their new foe and his plan to open the Hellmouth.

"Anya, exactly how far are you on the translation?" Buffy asked scooping another spoonful of food into her mouth.

Anya swallowed her bite of toast. "It looks like there are about 2 paragraphs left. But there are more than a few symbols we haven't translated yet."

Willow put her glass of milk down. "We could try my computer program. We have enough to give it a good base."

"Ok," Buffy agreed.

Anya gathered up her purse. "Well, I have to go open the shop. As it is, we will be opening two hours late."

"Leave the notebook and the key." Willow requested.

Anya did so, and headed out the door.

Spike finished his last piece of toast. "I need to get home myself. 'Ave a pile of papers to prepare for tomorrow's lessons."

Buffy had to laugh. In the middle of everything, they still had normal lives that they had to get back to. Her mind went over the new details they had. "What was it mom said? The new moon. We have until the new moon." She looked to her best friend. "Willow?"

"It's in 14 days. Last night was a full moon." She had learned from Oz's last visit to keep on top of the moon's cycle, just in case he popped up again.

"Plenty of time," Xander said. "Willow has that program. We can find out what badness is going on, and crush it with our mighty power." He sat back smiling.

Spike cocked an eyebrow. "What mighty powers do you have there, Harris?"

"Shut up dead bo-." Xander stopped mid-insult. "Damn it! Now I have to think of a new nickname."

Spike smirked at the young man.

"How about 'Slayer'?" Dawn asked.

"No offence, pet, but after a century of knowin' about 'er, 'Slayer' seems a bit girly for me."

"Slayer, it is." Xander laughed.

"What will you call me then?" Dawn inquired.

"Dawnie the Great?" Xander shrugged.

"As intellectually stimulating as this conversation is, I need to get some things done today." Buffy stood up and gathered Dawn's and her belongings. "Start up the whole 'new job' thing tomorrow."

"Gah." Dawn complained. "I still have Calculus to finish."

Willow and Xander said their good-byes to the group as the Summers women walked out with Spike, still jabbering about things they needed to get accomplished that day.

Xander took his plate to the kitchen. "So, want any help with that?"

Willow was entering the information to begin the deciphering program. "Nah. I just need to give it the start sequence, and the program should do the work. Besides... day off. Don't you have 'day off' stuff to do?"

Xander sat by his friend at the now cleared table. "Not so much. Shipping orders are out, laundry's clean, and the apartment is guest friendly."

He pulled over the notebook and began reading through the notes as Willow finished up.

"Hey, Willow, why does this all sound like a prophecy? I thought we needed it for history?"

"We did, but that book is filled with ancient spells, dark casting, ancient writing and prophecy."

"Like the new Master wanting to open the Hellmouth?"

"Yup." Willow watched as the program began, then slumped back in her seat. "This is going to take awhile."

"Hmm." Xander realized that there was nothing for them to do. "Movie?"

"Absolutely.”

"Perfect." Xander got up and soon both were walking out into the daylight.

"I wanted to ask you something," they said simultaneously. Both friends laughed.

"You first," Xander said.

"Ok." She continued walking down the street with her friend in the bright sun. "Exactly how do you feel about Anya?" With the question spoken out loud, she was able to read his mind, and how his love still surrounded the demon.

"I dunno." Xander spoke softly.

Willow only had to get him to admit it. She was sure Anya loved him, but both needed to be given a push.

Tara's message had made this seem vital, and so Willow was determined to make sure her best friend was with the woman he was supposed to be, and to make sure the woman gave up that which she gained in her own vengeance.

~~`~~

Kevin sat in his last period of the day. Mr. Worthington would soon dismiss class. A piece of folded paper was set on the student's desk. He read the name "Dawn", and passed the note to his best friend when his teacher's back was turned.

He watched as Dawn unfolded it, giggled, and then jotted down a few words before refolding it and handing it back to Kevin.

The note was snatched from his hand and passed to the far corner of the room. A senior named Billy Palmer unfolded it, and then laughed.

Mr. Worthington snapped his head around. "If the assignment is that laughable, I'd be happy to change it from a 6 page report to a 12 page report."

"No, sir. I'm sorry. My mind wandered while I was writing down the homework." Billy quickly made his excuse.

Dawn mouthed the words, "Smooth move," to the older teen. He just shook his head.

Spike saw the action and made a mental note to find out all he could about this Billy kid before the Nibblet made any more goo goo eyes at the boy.

~~`~~

Buffy hung up the phone at the desk sergeant's post after confirming Dawn had gone straight to the shop after school. She couldn't help it. She still had the need to check up on her little sister.

She read through the list of names that had placements for the new officers, and found hers as the only one in a column marked "Department Zeta". She was even more surprised to find that she was to go to a room in the basement to get orders.

She followed the stairs downward and walked along the familiar hallway towards the room. She soon saw Detective Griggs standing alone just outside the door.

"Officer Summers," he greeted her plainly, but had a friendly tone in his voice.

"Detective Griggs, I was just heading in to get my orders." Buffy knew she was a bit late, and didn't want to get a reprimand on her first day.

He formed a slight smile with his lips. "Before you go in, I'd like a word."

"I know I'm late, but I wanted to make sure my sister made it home from school alright."

"It's commendable that you take such an interest in your sister's wellbeing. I am not here to discus that though."

Buffy smiled, happy that she wasn't in trouble, but then wondered why they stood outside in the hall instead of going in to find out about her assignment.

The experienced detective had not been looking forward to this discussion, but he knew that it would be his job to let her know her true position. He took a deep breath, and began, "I'm afraid we, or possibly I, have not been completely honest with you."

Buffy raised her eyebrows.

"You see, many of us who chose to become officers in this town came here for the strange stories, or for curiosity. But some of us, like myself, grew up here. And even though we rarely spoke of the strangeness that comes with growing up in Sunnydale, we knew this town is different."

Buffy still looked as though she was about to hear of yet another apocalypse on the Hellmouth, but she remained quiet so that he could explain what was going on.

"The Chief and I are the oldest ones in the department. In fact we both graduated from Sunnydale High in 1968. We weren't close then, but working together has changed that. He began to keep files, in secret, of things we saw. That file remains, although now it takes up a wall of filing cabinets, and not just the top drawer of his desk."

He tried to measure her reaction to his words, but found her looking as though this was perfectly normal. "Now that he has the authority, he wanted to create a new division, one that specialized in the strange and unusual. Unfortunately, we have only limited knowledge and experience. That is when your name was brought up. It's no secret that you are different, and for whatever reason, you have been fighting Vampires, and demons since you arrived in this town."

"I was born to it," Buffy explained simply.

"Of that, I have no doubt." He gave her a sideways glance, then continued, "We want you to help us. We want you to train others who have shown an interest in learning how to keep our town safe from the things no one else knows about."

"You want me t-to train them?" Join them, sure, but training was not something she did. Unless you counted the instruction she gave Dawn. But that was different. These people were just regular humans.

"Yes. We could work out a schedule that you think will be beneficial to the recruits and yourself, of course. We would still like everyone to have an active duty rotation, but I'm assuming that would best be done after the sun sets."

Buffy wanted to make sure she understood. "So, I'm supposed to train these guys, then take them out for patrols? Do you have any idea how dangerous that is? One Vampire could take out any two cops without putting much effort into it."

"Then don't have them go out in pairs. Decide what would be the best way. These men understand the dangers, and they are willing to take the risks. No one in that room was forced; they volunteered."

Buffy looked at the still closed wooden door. She could not put these people in danger. She was here to protect and to serve, whether it be as the Slayer, or as an officer of human laws. She shook her head at the floor.

"Make no mistake, if you do not train them, we will find someone who will."

Buffy's head shot up and she stared at the detective. "Then, you will only make my job that much more difficult."

"Your job, Miss Summers, is to be an officer of the SPD. Just as ours is. We try to protect the people of this town, but do not have the knowledge or skill needed to do so." He sighed and looked at her with contrition. "This may have been the wrong way to go about it, but we need your help. And once they are trained, you won't need to do your job alone."

His last statement stuck in her head. She never had done her job alone. She had always taken the help of her friends. They were kids at first, but had grown into adults who used their god-given and hard-earned talents to join The Slayer in her fight.

The officers who chose to lift the blinders from their eyes only wanted to do their duty and protect the residents of Sunnydale, but had the foresight to know they didn't have what they needed to do it right. They needed her help. It was one of the few times anyone from outside her tight-knit circle had understood she was the one to come to. They were as willing as anyone involved with the Scoobies.

Buffy looked back at the man. "One condition."

He nodded for her to name it.

"I'm in charge. If they are going to learn, they will have to be able to listen and answer to me."

The detective thought for a moment before agreeing. "All reprimands, though, will be handed out by me."

"Deal."

He smiled and opened the door. As they entered, Buffy was shocked. There, in neatly spaced rows, were 15 different officers.

"Gentlemen," the detective began, "Welcome to Department Zeta. This is Officer Summers. She is your commanding officer while you remain in this department."

A few whispers were heard, but no objections.


Chapter End Notes:
I swear.. I had no idea Buffy was going to be training potentials. anyway.. More updates next week on all of the stories I'm currently posting. Kisses*