Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm still playing catch up on updates, but this one is very close to the end.
Simple Answers

Spike walked a block behind Dawn towards Willow's new residence. It was surreal in its familiarity. Going to Giles' home when trouble happened, or was about to happen, was a habit that even he had formed before the purchase of The Magic Shop.

He watched the young teen turn the final corner one block ahead of him. It had been his idea to follow so that she could walk with Janice, yet still not get the brunt of the "teacher's pet" references the next day. They had managed to hide the fact that they were acquainted with each other from most of the student body, although rumors that the teacher had once dated Dawn's sister could not have been avoided. Apparently, Kathy was not too good at keeping her mouth shut.

By the time Spike entered the living room, Dawn had already taken a seat next to Willow. The three were the only ones attending this meeting.

"So what did you find, Red?" Spike pulled out a seat and sat opposite the recovered witch.

Willow handed him a copy of the now fully translated prophecy. "It took some doing, but I think this is the final version."

"You think?" Dawn asked.

"Well, the book is old. Some of the ink was worn away, and some symbols were difficult to see, much less to translate. I had to broaden the program's search for viable patterns, but I think it worked."

"How can you tell?" Spike said after reading a section. "These things read like gibberish, and rarely make sense until after the events happen."

Willow took the paper back. "Look, it has everything here. Even the spell you and Buffy did to find Dawn." Willow traced her fingers over the paper, then began to read, "Through blood ties, the truth is revealed. From the past, their guides revealed." She set the paper down.

"See?" Spike indicated the paper. "Makes sense now, after the fact."

Dawn turned back to Willow. "He has a point."

"True, but I think with everything we have here, we can figure out what to watch out for." Willow pointed to the last lines of the prophecy. "It says at the height of the new moon. I'm assuming they mean when it is at its peak, and The Key is in Proper form."

"So, I'm in it, no matter what?" Dawn queried.

"Yeah, looks like," Willow offered.

Dawn shrugged, defeated. She had hoped to avoid anything involving Keys for awhile.

"What about this shroud?" Spike asked.

"I'm not sure. That is something we still need to know. And the next part indicates 'The voice of acceptance is her salvation.' So we may be getting more visitors," Willow tried to explain, "Someone who has to accept you as a Slayer."

"The last part seems to be straight forward enough," Spike surmised. "Dawn is the only one who can stop it, stop the Hellmouth from opening."

"But how can I be the thing that causes it and stops it?" Dawn hated to think of the most obvious answer. Her blood would open it; her death would close it. Can you say, déjà vu?

"But Spike, there is one thing here that you overlooked." Willow repeated another line, "Only from his life can she be the one, she who will bring forth a new way." She looked at him. "You'd have to be the 'he' it's referring to, with the whole 'blood ties' thing."

"Don't know how that's important. She was fightin' with Buffy most of the summer. I had nothing to do with it."

"Hmm." Willow sat back trying to think.

"Maybe it's about influence." Dawn suggested.

Spike shook his head. "Not sure my influence before I visited the cave was all that good."

"Wait!" Willow exclaimed. "The cave!" She looked at Spike with curiosity. "When were you there? I mean, was it right after you left, or weeks later?"

"'Bout a week. Why?"

Willow remembered her reign of terror. It had been a week after the incident that had prompted
Spike's unannounced departure. "That would be about right."

"What would, Willow?"

"Well, the first time you fought with Buffy, it was in the tunnel under the cemetery, right?" Willow wanted to be sure.

"Yeah. Kinda' had no choice," Dawn said, with a little more venom than she meant.

Willow caught it, but knew that she may have deserved it. "I think that Spike becoming alive may have been the trigger to activating whatever activates a Slayer. The timing seems right anyway."

"Might be onto something there, Willow." Spike agreed. "Seems to fit."

"Weird," was Dawn's response. "I thought death was the trigger, you know. 'One dies, another is called.' Isn't it in a rulebook somewhere?"

"Apparently not yours," Spike smirked.

Willow took out one of the pieces of the silver charm. "There was one other thing. These charms are still separated, and according to the reading I did on Corlon, they shouldn't be, once the charm's purpose has been fulfilled."

She handed the knot, still on the original chain, to Spike. "I think you and Buffy should keep a piece each, since it was you two who preformed the spell. I already gave her the other half when she came by earlier."

Spike took the charm, and slipped the chain over his head. "What else are they supposed to
do?"

"You've got me, but I think that it must be important. Otherwise the witch wouldn't have given it
to you."

~~`~~

The men were sparring until sunset. Buffy sat at a table she had set up, and went through some notes Willow had asked her to look through. She peeked up over the papers and watched as the officers practiced moves she thought would benefit them. Today's lesson had included a bit more gymnastics than usual, but several of the men were able to accomplish the kicks with efficiency, if not fluidity.

"All right, guys, suit up. We'll be out in 10," Buffy called. The men jogged out knowing that in 10 minutes, maybe more, she'd be ready to head off with one of the three teams she had formed.

She gathered up the papers and settled them into a folder just before a thought crossed her mind. It was the memory of some of the research Willow had turned up online about vampire lines. A vague reference in her head made her think of how no vampire knew about their genealogies, no one but the favored childer. The Master had a favorite. She remembered the Vampire who had fought against Spike when they went into the old school's basement to rescue Dawn.

Buffy tossed the last of the notes into the folder and left it on the table. Many of the officers of The Sunnydale Police Department knew that there was an unusual recruitment within the division the previous year. It had involved long psychological tests before anyone was asked to volunteer; only those who entered the special unit actually knew what it was they were doing.

The others had already begun to hear rumors, and of course, soon jokes followed that the chosen officers were some sort of "Ghostbusters" division. Therefore, no one ventured into their headquarters. Only the wackos went in there.

She changed quickly into blue jeans and a blue sweater, then headed up to the parking lot. The men had already split into two teams of 6 each, and one team of 3. It was as balanced as she could make it, especially with her joining the smaller team.

"We're going to do something new tonight, guys. We're looking for a Vampire, one in particular. I don't want him dead. He may have some information I need about a Master." She had decided that until she could fully trust them, the officers would have to go on a need-to-know basis. As of yet, she had not shared any information on The Master, or the new Slayer, since they technically didn't know there was a current one.

"If you spot him, don't attack. Radio me and let me take him. Everyone clear?"

"Yes ma'am," They all said.

Buffy gave them all a quick nod, and headed off towards her team's routes. The other ones went their own separate ways.

~~`~~

Spike was sipping one of the few "not too terrible to drink" American beers when Xander walked into The Bronze.

Although the Scoobs didn't frequent the old high school hangout so much anymore, Xander always loved the familiar atmosphere. Spike was just waiting for the Blooming Onion to make a reappearance on the menu.

The brunette shook his head at the blonde and walked towards the stool that was unoccupied next to him. "Spike, what's wrong? Those lonely Buffyless nights have you hanging out with the kids you see everyday?" He smiled with sarcasm.

Spike grunted at him, and took a drink of his beer. "Least I have a better excuse for lonely nights 'an you 'ave."

It stung Xander, but Spike had a point. Actually, maybe that's why it stung, simply because it was Spike making the point. "I already had this talk this week. She's a demon, a vengeance demon."

"She can hurt you. Yadda, yadda, yadda." Spike got the waiter's attention and ordered himself another. "What woman can't hurt a man? You name her and I'll give you a million dollars."

"You don't have a million dollars," Xander shot back. He ordered up a beer for himself on the barkeep's next pass.

"And you don't have a name, so it works out."

Xander looked around The Bronze. For a weeknight, the place was hopping. If he could spot an empty seat, any empty seat, he was fully prepared to move.

"I know you don't make much of it, but I rather enjoy having my insides there. On the inside."

"And here, all this time, I thought it was something you had against me. But it's any demon, any time. In'nit?"

"If anything, you helped to prove my theory. No matter how hard you may have tried, you were still a demon, Spike. Nothing could change that but whatever was in that cave."

The two men took a drink of their beers. Being right was only good if the other person was wrong. With all points taken, there seemed to be little to say, unless you liked having the last word. "'Course, 's not like she's a Vampire. Only way she could hurt you would be if someone made a wish against you."

Xander gave the Vampire a quick glance. "Considering with whom I'm sitting, I wouldn't suppose it would be that hard to do."

"She cut me off last time." Spike decided honesty was something that was necessary. Whatever the two men's differences, they both had had some seriously screwed up moments in the last year, most involving the same group of people.

"I could guess when, but I'd rather not."

"Agreed. Not one of our finer moments." Not that it had been the worst. It had provided a sense of stillness in the chaos of his and Anya's lives and troubles. But that moment didn't last. The high he had after every encounter with Buffy never appeared after he and Anya were spent.

"Then, there would be the children. They could take turns turning on their dad. Making wishes left and right."

"No, they couldn't."

Xander turned to face Spike. "Vengeance powers don't pass onto the next generation?"

"Not exactly." Spike waved down the bartender again, this time ordering beers for both of them. "More like, there isn't a next generation."

"Huh?" Xander was lost.

"Why do you think humans are recruited?" Spike waited for some sort of realization to show in the brunette's face. None came. "They don't, or rather can't, produce offspring."

Xander's eyes widened when he heard the words. Even in the nightmare that the wedding crasher had shown him, he had had children. Nothing was perfect, but he had never imagined a life with Anya not including children, ones he could treat right, teach, raise, and love. It was surreal. If he and Anya were together now, he would never have that. Suddenly that thought eclipsed any involving vengeance.

He eyed the alcohol still sitting in front of him. "I need to get out of here." Xander fished out his wallet and threw down a few bills.

"Where you off to?"

Xander looked at him. Strange to have a conversation with the guy who slept with your ex. It was even stranger to understand something you hadn't understood before while talking with him about her. "I think I'm going to take a walk."

Spike nodded, having a pretty good idea where the young man's feet would take him. "Good luck."

"Yeah." And Xander walked out the way he had come.

Spike finished his beer and watched the kids dance. Noticing the crowd thinning, Dawn walked over to him. "I swear, Spike. This is so silly. He's being a perfect gentleman."

Spike eyed the senior who had been passing notes to Dawn. The boy had asked her to come with him and see the band performing tonight. Buffy had said, " No, not on a school night." After Spike explained to her that he was a boy from one of his courses, Buffy made him promise to chaperone. That was the only way Dawn would be allowed to go. Only later did the name "Billy Palmer" register in Buffy's head. This was the young boy who had made the entire town of Sunnydale into a one big nightmare.

She had been a Vampire, Willow was an actress, and Xander was chased down by a clown. All in all, your average Sunnyhell day.

"I know, Bit, but your sis made me promise. It's almost time to be heading out anyway."

"Fine. Lemme just tell Billy 'bye'."

"Quick, then."

Dawn ran off and said her good-byes before heading out with Spike. "So, what did you and Xander talk about?"

"Saw that, did you?" She nodded. "He's trying to figure out what to do about Anya."

"Oh. Anya was crying a few days ago because of an argument they had," Dawn told Spike as they walked down the alley to his car. Luckily the alley was vacant except for a few lingering Vampires. They were quickly dusted by the pair.

"Well, personally, I think Anya should just stop being a demon. I mean, it's not like it's hard. She just has to destroy her necklace." Dawn opened the door to the DeSoto, and got into the passenger's seat.

Spike got in as well, and started the engine. "Not as simple as all that. It's a big change, going from demon to human."

"Yeah, but she did it before." Dawn pointed out.

"This time, she's the one doing the choosing, though." Spike tried to explain.

Spike pulled up to the Summers' home a few minutes later, and waited as Dawn exited his car and entered her home. After he saw the light in her room go on, he pulled away and headed for his own apartment. All of the talk about lost loves was getting to him.

Sure, he was with Buffy now. His most extravagant fantasy was true, but he saw her less now than he had when they were enemies. Their schedules couldn't be more conflicting. Passing discussions, generally surrounded by Scoobies, hadn't given them the time or the privacy needed for anything more than comparing notes on the prophecy, and a few stolen kisses.

As he walked to the elevator, he made a decision, and turned around. He double checked the clock in his car, and headed for the police station.

~~`~~

Buffy held the Vampire down with all of her strength. He smelled of filth, but what could she expect from a Vampire that lived under the rubble of the old high school, especially one with a smoldering Hellmouth.

"What line?!" She had repeated the question several times by now.

It had been pure luck when she had interrupted his feeding, but happily she had saved the young woman he had bitten, and enjoyed the fight that had ensued. The other officers watched, looking as though they were taking mental notes of hits and swings.

Jon was positive he would die either way. If he revealed the secret no Vampire was to tell or if he kept it to himself. It would be no matter. He would die either from the Slayer for not saying the name, or from his Master for saying it. "It will not help you."

Buffy was sure he was lying. Although at this point, she wasn't sure if she wanted to know because it was vital information, or because she was just really curious. Either way, she wanted the name. "If it won't make a difference, then why don't you just tell me?"

The stake was slicing into the flesh protecting his dead heart. "I cannot. I was never told."

"Wrong answer. You are a favorite. I have it on mighty high authority that you know. So just tell me," she said almost sweetly.

She waited, but he only struggled again. "Oh, come on, just one name. That's all I'm asking for. And not even his. The line, just the line."

"No Slayer knows the lines of Vampires."

"Wrong again, buddy. I could spout out names for you like you wouldn't believe. Probably have even heard of yours. I just don't know which one it is." Ok, so she only knew one. But she wanted to know. Now, it didn't matter its relevance. They already had some clue as to what they were going to face. The Master would be trying to open the Hellmouth in two days. Dawn would have to be there to stop it.

She had tried to take him out three times already, but the only entrance to the school was heavily guarded. Their numbers seemed to double each time that she went back. How they were going to get in on Saturday was still up in the air.

The Vampire still fought, and Buffy was beginning to have to struggle to keep hold of him. "Would you quit squirming, and just give me the name?" She sat up a little more, shifting her weight. He took the opportunity, and bucked his hips, giving him just enough space to slip out from under her.

"Damn!" She sat back and watched a few of the officers take off after the fleeing Vampire. "Let him go, guys," she called out. One by one the men came back.

"But we went to so much trouble." one of them voiced.

"It goes that way, sometimes. He just didn't want to talk. Besides, he's heading back to his nest now. There would be too many of them for just us." Buffy brushed off her pants and stood up.

"You all did great, though. We cleared a lot of the town. You should feel good." She checked her watch, the only one she owned. "It's time to head back." She looked the way the Vamp had run, and began to lead her group back to the station.

~~`~~

He spied her small form easily within the group of oversized men, and stepped out of his car. She was in the middle of a conversation with a few of the officers when she saw him, and smiled. After talking to the men a few more minutes she walked over to Spike who was leaning against the side of his car.

"Hey, what brings you out here?" She asked, still surprised to see him.

"You." He walked around to the passenger side of the car and opened the door.

After she was seated, he shut her door and walked back around, then entered the drivers side. Not saying a word, he started the car and drove to his apartment building.

Buffy was perplexed. She though he wanted to talk, but he was too quiet. She wasn't sure, but she thought that maybe she had done something wrong and was receiving the silent treatment. "Is everything ok?" She asked when he parked.

"No."

"Well, will you tell me what is wrong?" She sat in the car waiting for him to say something else, but instead, Spike opened his door and walked around the car again to open hers.

She stepped out, and followed him into his building. A strange feeling of foreboding came over her. "What's going on? Why won't you talk to me?"

He walked into the elevator, and beckoned her to follow him.

"Do we need to talk?" Buffy asked as he selected his floor and waited for the doors to close.

When they did, she turned on him. "Spike! What is going on? I swear, I am not leaving this elevator unless you tell me!" She crossed her arms and stood with her legs slightly apart.

Spike picked through his small collection of keys, making sure he had his apartment key ready.

When the lift’s doors opened, he walked through them, and looked back at a defiant Buffy.

True to her word, she wasn't moving. Spike put one hand over the door jam so it would not close, and waited. "Are you comin' or not?"

"Not unless you tell me why we are here."

It seemed obvious to him, but he rarely got to play head games with her now. It was still one of his favorite things to do. Not that it was a one- sided game. She enjoyed teasing him just as much, but this time he had the upper hand.

She had pulled her fair share of strange comments and surprises, but he missed the look she got when she was particularly perturbed with him, like she wasn't sure if she should hit him or kiss him. He had definite plans for the latter.

"Fine," he said before picking her up by the waist, and tossing her slender body over his shoulders, walking towards his apartment door. "Seems simple to me. Man. Woman, empty apartment. But if you need me to go slow and explain as we go," he slipped the key into the lock and opened the door, "I'll go slow. Just remind me to get up in the morning."

"Wha-?" Buffy barely got the word out before the door to the apartment was shut with his booted foot.

Anyone passing by the apartment would have heard the giggles that soon followed as he continued to carry her into his bedroom.


Chapter End Notes:
As my NC-17 nortiness is not of the good... use ur imagination for the Spuffy fun. More on the plot comming in the next chapter.