Corlon

Rupert Giles rubbed his head furiously with the palm of his hand. He hated being this far away while impending danger threatened his extended family across the ocean. What more could he do but research any and all things that may be of relevance, any scrap that could explain what they would have to do to stop it.

They had thwarted the end of the world many times, and he had faith in the troop to stop it again. But he had yet to hear anyone mention an idea how this might be done. They seemed to believe another visitor would supply the answer, but Giles had no intention of waiting that long or relying on hope. Instead he had called on every resource he had in England to compile a list of texts, and even a few web-sites, that could prove useful.

He straightened himself up, and plunged into the books again. He was fairly certain that Buffy had been correct about one thing from the beginning. The mysterious lineage of The Master was a fact needed, and still unanswered. Even the full translation of the prophecy hadn't helped in that department, although the other truths revealed had been more than helpful while extremely shocking.

He flipped through one book and compared it to the writings of another. Nothing seemed to fit. No past or present Vampires seemed to be connected to this Master. It was as though all traces of his lineage were hidden. But then, it was. Keeping this secret had been instilled into any Vampire that was turned and privy to such secret information.

He turned the pages once again, stopping dead in his tracks. "Well, hello there," he spoke to the ink drawing of Corlon, "Not exactly what I was looking for, but-"

He took his time reading of the goddess who had been a protector of bloodlines for ages. Ages beyond ages from what the book described.

He knew himself, that the goddesses and gods that were worshipped were often either; gifted humans and demons, or even demons who chose to act as gifted beings. The existence of so many dimensions, all populated by so many species, had opened the doors for many demons to take advantage of humans who often only believed in the natural or supernatural.

An example of this would be the Greek and Roman gods. These demons resembled human beings, were happy to fill a void, and explain all of the strange happenings that people in this dimension considered magic. Fire was a gift; seasons were a curse. A god held the planet up so it would not topple into nothingness, and a field full of happiness awaited those who worshipped them with vigor.

The history that came with Corlon was older, older than the Romans, older than Greece or Egypt or Mesopotamia. Word for word, moment by moment, Rupert read on, through the past and deeper into a history he knew little of. Before man, before Slayers, before legend. Right to the moment Corlon was conceived. The moment the goddess made her first appearance was-.

"Dear Lord."

~~`~~

"Yes," Buffy looked over the heads of the men, "I said 'Apocalypse'."

The murmurs were now open conversations containing words like "kidding", "joke", "losing it", "can't", and "no way".

"Buffy, I think you're losing them, luv," Spike whispered.

"This is no joke!" Xander said, suddenly feeling like the one who should talk. "This is a serious situation, and not a new one."

"Th-that's right." Willow addressed them as well. "Why, Xand and I have helped to stop." She turned to him. "What has it been? Six or seven?"

The two started naming off the events that had come so close to ending man's tenuous hold onto this spinning piece of rock. "I think it's more like eight or nine," Xander said, still counting on his fingers.

Dawn watched them, and shook her head. "So not the point, guys."

"The point is," Spike picked up the lesson, "There will be one tomorrow, that is, if you fellas can't find it in your hearts to help us."

Anya leaned over Buffy's shoulder. "Did Spike just ask for help?"

Buffy was stunned.

"We have a powerful Vampire, a Master, who's hell-bent on opening a Hellmouth right under all our noses. We need to get in and stop him before Sunnydale is overrun with demons and other nasties none of you have ever dreamed of, even in your worst nightmare." Spike crossed his arms. Another habit he'd picked up by hanging out with this crowd.

Jason had no idea what was going on, but now that he knew, he was more than a little afraid. "What do you mean by 'powerful Vampire'? Aren't they all basically the same?"

"Oh, no," Anya chimed in. "There are young ones, newly risen, called Fledglings. All Vamps start out that way. Then they can be either childer, like a child of the Vampire that turned them, or they are minions… slaves."

"'Course, once a childe has reached his own potential, he's a Master," Spike finished.

Buffy's curiosity was piqued. "Hey, how did you become a Master? I mean, you're young, for a Vampire… former."

With a twinge in his gut, Spike gave her a short answer. "Think about it."

She didn't have to think for long. He'd "bagged a Slayer". That was all it had taken for Spike to begin to earn his own reputation.

"So, we're supposed to kill a Master for you? Is that right?" Another officer asked.

"Not exactly." Xander addressed them all. "See, here's the deal. These three," he pointed out Buffy, Dawn and Spike, "Have to get into his nest… his home. Problem is, he has a lot of guards. Mostly fledgling minions we think, but they outnumber us by leaps and bounds."

"Yeah." Willow pulled out today's newspaper, and opened it to the page in Sunnydale's local paper devoted long ago to Missing Persons reports. "We've been trying to keep a count, but it's hard to tell sometimes. The Master has a pattern that we have figured out. He likes to increase his family in large numbers all at one time, like this," she pointed out an article, then read aloud,

"One bus holding a tour group headed for Las Vegas, Nevada was found just outside Sunnydale's city limits empty this morning. The officer heading up the investigation reported that no sign of breakdown was visible, but that their theory is that the bus may have overheated and the tourists vacated it looking for a place to stay the night. They were probably lost, and would be found in a nearby town."

"Except, we're fairly sure they are in town, now, under the old high school," Buffy added.

"Wait. Under the school?" One of the men Buffy had recognized as another Sunnydale Alumni asked.

"Oh, yeah, that was another detail," Dawn offered. "The Hellmouth is under the old high school."

And here came the same words: "no way", "can't be", and more "it's a joke".

"Look, guys, have I lied to you yet?" Buffy asked interrupting them and effectively getting their attention once again. "This stuff is serious, and happens here more than you know. If you help, if you can get us past the minions guarding it, we can close the Hellmouth, and get rid of The Master," Buffy assured them.

"You figured out how to close the Hellmouth?" Anya asked loud enough for everyone to hear.

~~`~~

The Master smiled at his chamber full of fledglings. The sea of faces brought a feeling of glee to him that he had missed for centuries. He had a clan again. He had been restrained for so long. Jon had been his only childe, and although he was loyal as a childe should be, he was the only one.

"You are pleased, Master?" Jon asked with his head bowed slightly.

The Master laughed a low rumbling chuckle, and rested his hand on his childe's shoulder. "Yes, Jon, I am pleased. We have a night of preparation yet, but we are ready. By this time tomorrow, we will be on our way to ruling Hell."

He looked onto the smoldering crevice. "Do they all know where to be? We must let the Slayers believe they have fought well. Many will die, but their sacrifice is necessary. Tomorrow, their blood will open the door to Hell, and they have no way to stop it."

"Their blood will spill, Master. They will find their entrance delayed, but possible." His childe answered with due respect.

"With this talisman," The Master revealed a worn chain as he pulled it from under his shirt, his hand surrounding whatever hung from the tainted metal, "We will have everything."

He opened his fist. A silver knot hung from the chain, shining, almost glowing in the demon's hands.

~~`~~

Giles stared at the passage after reading it for the second time. "But why would she give him the charm? Shouldn't it go to Buffy? Or Dawn?"

The goddess was like many he had learned of, a demon, but not just any demon. And from what he'd read, this goddess was not your average deity. He closed the book, quickly marking the page as he did so, and headed out the door.

The only person he thought could confirm any of this would be the witch. She had given the talisman to Spike. Surely, she had more knowledge than the book. Possibly enough to confirm or deny the words he'd seen.

If confirmed, he would need to get a hold of Buffy immediately.

~~`~~

"So, that's why you guys were always in the library." One of the officers commented.

The question and answer period had been going on for awhile now, and Buffy wasn’t even close to finished asking for help.

Buffy nodded, and waited for more comments. None came, so she continued. "Well, now you know what's what. I'm not going to order anything, but I'm asking for volunteers. We need help, and you guys are the best people we could ask."

Chris, one of the smaller officers, raised his hand.

"Yeah?" Buffy motioned for him to ask his question.

"This is one of those 'you could die' situations. Isn't it?"

The Scoobies all looked at each other. They each randomly answered.

"Yeah."

"Pretty much."

"Uh-huh."

"Just checking." Chris looked around the room and stood up. "I'm in."

One by one, each of the men followed suit. All but Jason. Buffy eyed him, but knew that it had to be his choice.

"Why are you looking at me like that? I already told you I'd help." He grinned at them all.

Everyone smiled for a moment, and then it was down to business. They began by splitting up the men into groups. Buffy tested the officers in their skills with weapons. Some they had covered during training, but this room was better equipped.

Xander was paired off with one of the men who had military experience, and they formulated a plan of attack. After the men were designated to groups by skills, they began to gather supplies.

Willow went with a few men to get holy water. Of course, the shop had a supply, but not nearly enough. Luckily, the Scoobies had gained the assistance of more than a few priests over the years, who often blessed water for them.

Dawn and several men went to the nearest woods and gathered sticks that could be used for stakes and to fashion crosses. A few men had things at home they donated, like old bats and hockey sticks. Much of the evening was spent gathering whatever they could use.

Dawn was back first, and all of them were put to work making stakes. The time consuming task passed quickly as stories of their battles and experiences were exchanged. The officers included several stories, mostly silly or unusual ones of a day's or night’s work in the SPD.

Before they knew it, late night had turned into early morning. Buffy had been dismissing the men as the night drew on. Some had families and, although in her home the excuse of I-had-to-get-prepared-for-tomorrow's- apocalypse might hold up, she knew enough to know that in theirs, it most likely would not.

Some men fell asleep on the mats, as others kept working. Willow came in just before dawn with several very tired officers, all carrying a few thermoses of holy water.

"Hey, Wills," Buffy said, barely awake. "Everything go alright?"

"Just peachy. Father McCoy was not happy about waking up at one in the morning. But other than that, perfect."

"Well, Xander and Anya went home a few hours ago. Xander will be back at noon. He said he'll have the balloons." Buffy stretched her arms mid-sentence. "And I need to get home and get some sleep. You guys okay for awhile?"

Willow looked around the room and saw Jason asleep on the couch. Spike was awake, and tying two flat sticks together, forming a cross. About 6 officers were still there, half awake, and half absently whittling at pieces of wood. "We're good. I'm going to curl up on a mat and take a nap, though."

"Good." Buffy smiled at her friend. "Dawn, let's go get some sleep."

The exhausted teen took her time standing up.

"Goin' home, luv?"

Buffy turned towards Spike. "Yeah. Get some descent Z's before tonight. Everyone knows to be here by 3, and looks like some of the guys aren't going home at all." She looked down at herself. "I need a shower, though."

Spike kissed her quickly. "Get some sleep. See you in a few hours."

"Not a problem," she said as she walked out with Dawn.

~~`~~

Giles sat impatiently in the home of the coven. He had arrived early that morning, but the head of the coven was meditating. The Watcher was asked to wait, and so he did. His nervousness was palpable as the minutes ticked by. He quickly did the math in his head figuring how much time he had. For the residents of California, it was still the middle of the night.

With the book clutched in his hand, he looked around, studying the trinkets used to decorate the room he was occupying. The wood paneling made the room look dark, but the small carvings and intricately designed weavings brightened it up considerably. Several depictions of what he only assumed were gods and goddesses were proudly displayed on high shelves.

Other more personal items had also been placed on the walls and shelves: a few diplomas, a bronzed baby shoe, and some pictures of what he though must be some of the coven member's family. Behind him, someone cleared her throat.

Giles turned in his seat to see the old witch; her face was still shrouded slightly by a drape of gauzy material. "I'm pleased you could find the time to see me unannounced." He stood and bowed his head with respect to the woman.

"Rupert Giles, I am sorry to have kept you waiting, but when one converses with the netherworlds, it is difficult to, what is the term? 'Put them on hold'?"

Giles grinned. "Yes, of course." He brought the book up so she could see it. "I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about the charm you gave Spike, and about Corlon."

The old witch's worn hand took the book from him. Giles was surprised that it's weight provided no difficulty for the aged woman. "You seek to contact Corlon?"

Giles removed his glasses. "No. What I mean to say is, she has been in contact with my Slayer, and her friends."

"And the Chosen?"

"Spike? Yes, him as well. Corlon sent… well, she sent two of the recently passed on to act as guides for all of them."

"All of them? The friends of the Slayer as well?"

"Yes."

The old woman opened the book easily to the marked page as she sat in one of the armchairs in the room. "And you have read of Corlon here? What else do you know, Rupert Giles?"

He sat and placed his glasses back on his face. "Very little, I'm afraid. But my most pressing concern is the closing of the Hellmouth. They must do it tomorrow, and in the text there is a reference to it, but I don't understand. Why would you give the charm to Spike, and why is this connected to The Master?"

She nodded slowly. "I suppose it is time. I have had many years here." She pulled the veil off of her head. Her white hair framed her wrinkled face, making her seem weak to those who did not know of her magic. Her thin figure, hidden by the simple dress she wore, began to fill out, as her face changed and shifted.

Her hair thickened, and a sheen began to emerge from her white hair. Her face became younger; the paleness of her skin darkened and grayed. She tipped her head higher and opened her mouth, allowing the fangs to come easily. When she looked back to Giles, her vampiric nature was clear. "I am Corlon, the Goddess who watches over the lineage of blood. I am the maker of the Vampire Master, Armstead, the creator of The Slayer."

Giles felt fear well up within him. "But, you are a witch. How can you be a Vampire, a goddess, and a witch?"

The young woman stood up. The gown that seemed too big on her just moments before, was now hugging the curves of her seemingly youthful body. "You ask how, so I will answer." She paced around the room. "You understand the geographical history of the planet, do you not?"

"Geographical?"

"Yes, the theory that all of the land that covers the planet was once one."

"Plate shifting…Yes."

"Take it as truth. At one time, everything was connected. All matters of life and land started as one. There were few then… of my kind." She turned to face him. "Beast as much then as now, but different. No one, not even I, could tell you from where Vampires began, but we each feel the death of an elder. The Master who has come to your Slayer and The Chosen, has gone to change something… to end it. His indiscretions have caused me much trouble. With that my existence changed. For him, I sacrificed myself, and became a protector instead of the beast I should have been."

"But how? The Slayer came after the first mention of… of you."

The woman seated herself across from Giles. "Armstead tried to open one of the Hellmouths in an area considered taboo. He failed, and gave way to catastrophe. Several demons lost members of their clan. I was chosen to atone for them. In that, I gave up my world, and was appointed to watch over him and all he created and integrated into your societies. Through time, I found the best way to act as a guardian, was to gain knowledge in human magics. The gift of my line is strong, but not what is needed to watch over my charges."

Giles leaned back into the seat, not knowing what to say. He had sought out the witch to confirm details in the book. According to the writings, Corlon was a Vampire, one who was responsible for the opening of a Hellmouth, and therefore, had the knowledge to close one. He had no idea the witch would be Corlon. Then he remembered. "The Hellmouth, do you know how to close it? Buffy, she thinks a guide will tell her, but if you know…"

"A guide? But the guides visited her two weeks ago." She got up quickly. "They should already understand." She spun on him and stared into his eyes. "Did they not understand the prophecy? It is all written there."

"Willow finished the translation. There is no reference to closing the Hellmouth."

"Not directly, but they have all of the pieces. All but one." She grasped his hands quickly. "It is the order, and the charm. The pieces are now fully separated. When Armstead tried to open the Hellmouth, he only created a crevice. The triple knot of the charm split, but only once, leaving two knots intact."

"The charm? Spike's necklace? It has the power to close the Hellmouth?"

"It was taken from me long ago, by my childe, and used against my wishes. All of these years I knew he was still walking, but I could never find him. The charm was returned to me many centuries ago. I knew that our paths would cross again, and only then could the damage be repaired."

"How? What must they do?"

"The blood, only the blood of a descendant of his line, and that of another line can open it. Your Slayer and The Chosen have this blood running in their veins. Only the blood of lines converged can close it."

"Converged? Dawn?" Giles slammed his hand down on the arm of the chair. "Dawn can not die. Buffy gave her life to save her once already."

"She need not die. She must bleed onto Hell, and claim her right to protect the earth from the evil it spawns. She must claim this right with my talisman to complete the circle created by my childe whose wish was to destroy it."

"But you said a part had been separated?"

"Yes. Armstead still protects it. He still wishes to complete his task. He knows of the child's future, and had hoped to hide it from her. In his haste, he neglected to realize his actions caused their revelation."

"But Dawn will need that last piece to close it?"

She nodded slowly. "Do you have the knowledge needed, Rupert Giles? Will they be able to stop it now?"

"Yes, I believe so." He checked his watch again. The day had barely begun when he walked in. It was now nearly noon. "I do have one final question. It is believed that Vampire lines are gifted with a talent. The most popularly known one is 'thrall'. Does your line carry a gift?"

Her full lips smiled. "Very good. You are astute for a human. I will tell you that we can project thoughts, or the sight of an image. Most have limited ability, but childer usually become quite adept."

"I see." Giles stood and took the book handed to him from the woman. He headed towards the door and turned to thank Corlon. When he did, the old witch looked back at him. She placed the veil back in its place. He took a moment to take in the ease with which she shifted into her facade of an old weak woman. "Thank you."

She clasped her knotted knuckles, and bowed her head quickly, then looked back at him. "You may wish to go back."

He stopped at the door. "Excuse me?"

"You are with them, even when you are here. You may wish to go back." She turned and disappeared around the corner.

Rupert watched her as she left, then turned the knob slowly as he thought of her parting statement.


Chapter End Notes:
Having a bad day? close your eyes and think of Spike shirtless. It always helps me. :D