Author's Chapter Notes:
This one is a little happy/sad but moves the story forward in some fun ways.
Waging War

Buffy sat in class. She hated chem. No matter how much Willow helped her, she always managed to get a few of the elements mixed up.

"Is this sulfur?" she asked the redhead.

"If is smells like warm blood, then it's sulfur," Willow happily hinted.

"Huh?" Buffy was sure that was wrong.

"Oh, and don't forget, if you spill the blood, Dawn has to clean it up."

"What?" Buffy waited for an answer, but the teacher called on her.

"Miss Summers," the instructor, who closely resembled the new Master, began, "What are the three major elements in this experiment?"

Buffy scanned the beakers, all neatly labeled. She read them off to him. "Descendant of Corlon, Descendant of Another, and the Convergence." She looked back hopefully at her teacher.

The class erupted in laughter. Buffy looked around, wondering what she had done wrong.

"Miss Summers, if you add the Convergence, the entire experiment will be ruined," he explained.

"But then why…?" She was interrupted by the bell marking the end of class. She gathered her books, and was ready to walk out with Willow, but her friend was nowhere to be seen. The classroom was empty except for The Master.

She was about to ask him where Willow went when the bell rang again.

"Aren't you late for class?" Xander inquired from the door.

"I don't think so," Buffy answered and looked up at the clock on the classroom wall only to see three silver knots entwined in its place. As she tried to discern the hour from the unusual timepiece, the bell rang again.

Buffy opened her eyes, rolled over, and stared at her phone. Her room glowed with the early morning light of dawn.

The phone rang once more. She brushed her hair out of her eyes, then reached over and picked up the receiver. "Hello?"

"Buffy?"

She shot up in her bed. "Giles!?"

"Oh, good, I was afraid you wouldn't be home."

"It's like 5 in the morning. Where else would I be?" Buffy said adjusting the covers.

"I thought you might be preparing for this evening."

"We did. Then sleep became a necessity. What's up?"

"Ah, yes. I found information on closing the Hellmouth."

Buffy listened as Giles went over the events of his discussion with Corlon, including the history of the line and the short ritual needed to seal the Hellmouth.

Her eyes widened with confirmation when most of what he said fit with the dream she had just had. "Giles, I'm not sure if Dawn is ready for all of this."

She heard him take a breath before he spoke. "I wasn't sure you were ready for what you were about to face when we first met. Actually, I believe I thought the world was doomed."

Buffy smiled, wishing he was here with them now, in California.

"But you were the same age Dawn is now, and you have surprised me on more than one occasion. With you there, I am sure she will do quite well. Just remember, do not allow yourself or Spike to bleed into the Hellmouth."

"Wasn't planning on bleeding at all." She stated.

He wanted to be there. But for now, a phone call would have to do. "Call me when it's over, will you?"

"Of course. I'll talk to you in about," she looked at the clock, "Twenty hours." Barely any time had passed while she slept.

"Good luck."

"Thanks, Giles." She heard him hang up, and replaced the receiver on the cradle.

There wasn't a lot for her to do today, but there was one thing that Spike had asked her to do before tonight. She decided she might as well get up. She hopped into the shower.

Afterwards, she threw on some sweats and a T- shirt before retrieving Spike's duster from her closet. She quickly wrote a note for her sister, then left the house.

~~`~~

"I don't know," Clem said while munching on some potato chips, "I mean, sure I can hang out with you still, but to go and fight?" He shook his fleshy head, his ears flopping with the motion. "Who else is going?"

Spike sat on the sarcophagus across from Clem who was seated in the armchair Spike had let him keep. "The Slayer, the Bit, myself, and the Scoobs. Oh, and about 15 of Sunnydale's finest."

"The police?" Clem put down his chips. "You mean that crew she's been training? I heard they've been out on patrol with The Slayer."

"That they have. Pretty good from what I hear, too. Last night, they showed us a few tricks she'd taught them. Have to say, they've learned right quick."

"Well, I'm not into the fighting." Clem looked around his home. The crypt was nice, better than most demons like him had. "But I'd rather not fight some hell-beast to keep my place." He stood up. "Okay, I guess I'm in."

Spike smiled at his friend. "Right, then. We need you to stake out the old high school. If you see anything strange, go directly to The Magic Box and let us know."

"Why can't you do it?"

"The Master would sense humans. If you go, he may detect a demon, but that's nothing for him to fear."

Clem nodded, understanding Spike's point. "But the fighting.?"

"We'll take care of the violence. You just keep watch so we can get everything ready. Okay?"

"I can do that." The demon grabbed his bag of chips and headed towards the door. Spike followed.

~~`~~

Dawn woke up after ten and headed downstairs to find a note from Buffy saying she had a few things to do before they left for the magic shop. Buffy would be ready to leave by two. Dawn smiled; she had her own plans.

She had her first week of actual pay from The Magic Box upstairs in her jewelry box. In a flash, the teen was showered and dressed with $120.00 to spend. If she was careful about prices, she should be able to get everything she wanted.

She added a line at the bottom of Buffy's note before leaving.

~~`~~

"Dawn?" Buffy called out as she entered the house with a package wrapped in brown paper. She walked past the staircase into the kitchen and saw her note. Below her handwriting was Dawn's, explaining that there were a few things the younger Summers girl wanted to get as well.

Buffy placed the package on the counter and put together a sandwich before making a phone call.

A moment later, Anya answered with her normal greeting.

"Anya, it's Buffy. How is everything going there?"

"Oh, hi, Buffy. No one's here. They went home to clean up. But everyone swore they'd be back by three," The ex-demon explained.

"Okay. Well, Dawn is out, but she should be back soon. We'll try to get there early."

"See you then."

"'Kay. Bye." Buffy hung up the phone just as Spike walked through the back door.

"Hey, cutie. Where's the Nibblet?"

Buffy gave him a huge smile. "She's out."

He returned the wicked smile. "'S that so?" He approached her slowly, not hiding his ideas of what he thought they should be doing while Dawn was gone.

Buffy took a few steps back. "Apocalypse. End of the world. Not exactly time for..."

Spike didn't listen, "It may be our last." In seconds the two were wrapped around each other.

Urgency took over, and before either of them knew how they'd gotten there, they were waxing the floor in a way not normally recommended in the manufacturer's handbook.

~~`~~

Dawn walked into the house with just minutes to spare. She carried her bags up the stairs and disappeared into her room, shutting the door behind her.

She put the bags down on her bed, and pulled out her purchases, one by one. First, she took out the boots, black, although not real leather, with a two- inch heel. She was tall as it was, so she didn't think another two inches was going to hurt her much. Next were the deep purple blouse and the black jeans. She smiled at the effect, and changed into the outfit.

They weren't radically different from the clothes she had. But after some serious thought, she decided that her "I'm a little devil" T-shirt wasn't quite right for a Slayer, any more than the Capri pants she'd been wearing lately. A shopping spree was needed. The boots were an afterthought. After all, how much fear could she create wearing her white Keds?

She took a look at herself in the mirror. Something seemed off. She tilted her head and a wisp of hair caught her eye. She grabbed the tendril and twisted it in her fingers, then picked up a brush and worked it through her hair before braiding it. With one last look in the mirror, and a nod at the young woman that gazed back at her, she headed downstairs.

She entered the kitchen, and saw her disheveled and laughing sister squirting Spike with the sink's sprayer hose. Spike in turn was throwing out empty threats. His shirt was off, along with his shoes and socks. "What are you guys doing?" She asked a little perturbed and disturbed.

Both Spike and Buffy looked back at Dawn chagrinned. Then Buffy noticed her sister's new clothes. "You went shopping?"

Dawn smiled as she turned around to model her purchases. "Yeah. Thought maybe something less 'sweet 16' would be better for tonight."

"Hope you didn't spend too much money. The outfit probably won't make it through the battle. I can't tell you how many of my perfectly good clothes went the way of Clothing Heaven before their time." Buffy took out a towel and started cleaning up the mess of water and bubbles. Her water attack had innocently started out as washing the dishes. But, as usual, one thing led to another, and like many things involving the two blonde Slayers, physical combat ensued.

Spike picked up a towel and helped Buffy out. "Braiding your hair, Bit, was a good idea, though. All that hair would get into your face, and you won't want to waste time pushing it out of the way."

Dawn smiled. "Thanks, Spike." She got the mop and helped to clean up, as well.

After ringing out the mop, Dawn saw they were already finished drying the counters.

Buffy took the towels down to the laundry while Dawn and Spike got something to eat. It was then that Dawn noticed the package on the counter sitting between her and the former vamp. "What's that?"

Buffy came through the door from the basement. Spike looked at her, seeming to ask a question. Buffy nodded quickly.

"'S for you, Bit. Should go nicely with the outfit. Might save the shirt, at least."

Dawn looked between the two, curious. She picked up the loosely wrapped package and tore it open. Inside was a leather jacket. As she let it unfold, she saw that it wasn't just any jacket. It was the duster. "Spike!" She looked from the jacket to the man. "This is… I can't take this."

Spike turned so that he faced her. "Course you can. I'm giving it to you."

"But, Buffy, I thought you wanted it."

Buffy shook her head. "No, Dawn. It wasn't the jacket I wanted. And now, I think I have just about everything I could want. Besides," she smiled at Spike, "Apparently I'm too short for it. I had to take it to a leather shop to get the worn hem fixed this morning."

"Oh," Dawn said still holding the duster, not sure if she should wear it or not.

"There's one other thing," Buffy said as she pulled something from her pocket.

The thin silver chain shone as the cross hanging from it swung to and fro. "I got this just after we moved here." Buffy reflected that it was the one Angel had given to her years ago. "It was the first cross I wore as The Slayer. I thought you should have it now."

Dawn felt tears threaten to form. She didn't know the history behind the cross, just that her sister had treasured it for seven years. Before the other Summers women had any idea who Buffy really was, Joyce had often commented on the cross. Dawn wiped away the tears with the back of her free hand. Buffy smiled at her little sister, then pulled her in for a hug. "You'll be amazing, I'm sure."

Spike leaned against the counter, letting the girls have their moment together. But of course, being Spike, it did not last long. "With genes like ours, of course she'll be amazing."

Dawn began to giggle through her tears, joined quickly by her sister. "I am s-o not calling you 'Dad'."

Buffy just laughed harder.

~~`~~

Xander walked into The Magic Box first, just after noon. He greeted Anya quickly, and went back to the training room. One by one, some officers came in, and then Willow arrived carrying several canvas bags. A few more officers entered with Jason, followed by
Buffy, Spike and Dawn. At three o'clock, the remaining officers straggled in.

Anya watched as the team of people preparing to fight against The Master trickled by. Her
day would be as normal as any other. She went back into the room every now and then to check up on the activities taking place between customers.

During her first inspection, she saw a line of men practicing with crossbows at the far end of the training room, aiming at a dummy. A peek in later on revealed short hoses sticking up from the thermoses. Each of the participants took a turn at filling up water balloons.

Later, just before she locked up for the day, Buffy, Dawn and Spike were taking turns sparring, and showing the men some last minute moves that might help in a fight. Jason was an avid participant, having had no extra training in fighting vampires.

At sunset, Anya locked the doors of the shop, and joined the group in the back. "Okay, shop's closed, " she announced.

"Great," Buffy acknowledged. "Xander, why don't you get the board and show us what you and Craig came up with?"

Xander and one of the brunette officers walked up to a large whiteboard against the wall, and rolled it to the front of the room. The officers, Jason and the Scoobies all sat on the mats, eyes and ears open, when a loud rapping came from the back entrance. The door opened a crack, and Clem peaked in.

"Hey, guys, something's going on at the Hellmouth."

A few of the officers jumped up, ready to attack the demon. "I've got him," one yelled out.

Buffy sprang to her feet and ran to the door. "No! Guys, stop. This is Clem. He's not here to hurt any of us!"

The men stopped in their tracks, but didn't sit back down.

Buffy faced the loose-skinned demon. "Clem, why are you here?"

"I asked him to keep on eye on the Hellmouth for us. Give us a heads up if things got active." Spike stood behind Buffy explaining, then asked Clem, "What's going on?"

Clem looked at Spike, and then noticed Dawn and Willow joining them. "Some Vampires, looked like about 20, are setting up around the entrance. I think they're guards or something, but lots of vamps are going in and out. I think there are more hiding in the bushes. When a few asked me what I was doing, I lied and left."

Buffy looked back over her shoulder to see Xander apparently trying to explain why Clem was okay for a demon. "Xander, I think you and Craig should hear this."

The two walked over and listened to what the demon said as he repeated his report. "I think it's still do-able. We may need to outflank them, but if we keep on our toes, this should work," Xander explained, then looked at Clem. "Can you show us where you were, and where you saw the vampires?" He walked to the board that had a rudimentary diagram of the area scribbled in marker.

Clem pointed out a few areas, giving them the number of vampires hiding there. It took some time, but a new plan of attack was devised.

A few minutes later, all of them, including the demon, left the magic shop. Each had at
least one cross, a few stakes, and a canvas bag full of water balloons. Some of the men brought water pistols as well, anything they could grab that could hold the vampiric version of acid. Buffy, Dawn and Spike each carried a large black duffel bag with extra supplies.

Five blocks from the school, the group split up into separate units. Buffy led one group of 4 officers, while Willow and Clem led another. Dawn and Spike were joined by Jason, and
Anya walked with Xander and the remaining officers.

Each group had a different destination, one where at least two vampires would be hiding in wait for Buffy and Spike. Clem knew the grounds well enough to give the approximate location of the waiting demons.

Willow's team came upon the first group of vamps. She stepped aside as the seven men took on the three Vampires. She had to admit that the officers were doing well. They fought with moves the redhead recognized, a kick followed by an uppercut; then the officer switched off to a waiting man. They fought in pairs, and they took severe abuse from the demons.

Just as the last Vampire blew away in the breeze, Willow heard the sounds of fighting from the group to their left, and then the others. Once the noise died down, she tried to sense if everyone was okay. Once that was confirmed, they headed forward to the high school's ruined remains.

From across the street, they saw the rubble, and the lines of vampires guarding the only way in. "Jeez," Dawn commented to Spike, "They're kinda' overdoing it, aren't they?"

Jason stared in awe.

They were lying low behind the foliage when Buffy and her group joined them. A few moments passed, and soon Anya and Xander arrived, along with Willow, Clem and their teams.

"Are we ready?" Buffy asked Xander. He nodded, and everyone armed themselves with crossbows from the bags the Slayers had carried.

After they were all set up, Buffy spoke. "Take your time, everyone. We all only have one shot." She sat up, and looked to her left, then to her right, taking in the faces of the people who were here fighting at her side. "Good luck, everyone."

Xander set his stake in the bow. "Ready." He cocked his head, while giving the orders to assure that they all shot simultaneously.

"Aim." He held the bow up, and took careful aim. "FIRE!"


Chapter End Notes:
A quick update, I re wrote parts of the final chapter of Comm 101 and also added an Epilogue. It's done now. And thank you again to everyone for reading it. Also, I just posted the final 3 chapters of Akoshta Book 3. Please dun miss the exciting.. cliffhanger. Kisses