CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: An Unexpected Guest


"Did you miss me, my pet?" she smiled as she moved toward him.

"What are you doin’ 'ere, Dru? Come to rub it in some more? Play a round of kick the Spike?" he asked angrily as he crossed his arms in front of his chest.

Her face fell into a pout and she stopped about half way across the room. "Don't be cross with me," she said standing up strait. "My mum and da are in Los Angeles. I thought I'd come for a visit."

Spike closed his eyes in frustration. "I have class tomorrow, Dru. I can't go out. Why wouldn't you call first or something?" he asked kicking his shoes off.

"The stars sang of a surprise," she said quietly.

Spike quirked a brow and shook his head.

Bint's crazier than before...

"Dru, we're not together anymore... what, do you think we're gonna be best friends now?"

She made a noise similar to a sad or hurt animal as she crept closer to him. "I wanted to see you," she said taking his hand in hers. "I've missed you my sweet," she said giving him her version of the puppy dog eyes. "We need time together."

"You dumped ME, Dru!"

She pouted more. "Don't you want me anymore?" she asked as she backed away from him.

He sighed and shook his head as he looked up as if asking god for help. "It's not that simple anymore, pet."

"Why?!" she demanded suddenly, startling Spike. She walked over to his dresser and grabbed something off the top, coming back toward him quickly holding it up. "Because of her?" she said pointing to the picture of Buffy.

Spike clenched his jaw and looked away. "No, Dru. It's because you called me up on the phone one day and dumped me with no explanation at all. I got over it... got over us."

"Yeah," she chuckled. "With little miss sunshine."

He just glared at her. "It's late. I really think you sh-"

"Your uncle was kind enough to invite me to stay in the guest bedroom for a few nights until my parents are done with their business here," she leered.

Spike huffed. "Of course."

"Don't be upset dearie," she said throwing the picture behind her, letting it fall to the ground. "Things are going to be much better from now on."

He raised an eyebrow as she walked past him, not afraid to run her hand across his chest as she did so.

Spike didn't know what to think. He told himself he was over her but having her here, wanting him back and spending the week here... it almost made him feel like maybe all of this was happening for a reason.

"Oh, by the way, Spike..." Dru said as she popped her head back into the room. "Don't forget to wake me for school tomorrow morning..."

He spun around to face her. "What?"

"I'm going to class with you in the morning, pet," she smiled. "Goodnight."

Spike shook his head as she left him alone again. "This should be interesting..."

He glanced down toward the floor and saw the picture sitting face up on the carpet, Buffy's smile dominating the picture. Spike's sadness returned, along with the anger, and he kicked the picture under the bed.


x X x X x


Buffy felt like she could barely breathe as she walked through the large double doors into the high school. Her chest was tight and her face already flushed. Immediately people started looking at her as they whispered to their friends.

Great... everybody already knows...

As she turned the corner and saw her locker in sight she sighed in relief that Cordy wasn't standing there waiting for her like she normally would be. She took a deep breath and picked up the pace as she got closer to it, and in her hurry to get there she ran flat into someone, causing her to drop her books all across the floor.

She sighed as she bent down to retrieve her things. "I'm really sorry, my head isn't where it should be today..."

The person she ran into bent down and helped her pick one notebook up. "It's alright, dearie," the dark haired woman said. She picked up the notebook and noticed it had a picture taped inside its front cover, staring at it a few moments longer than Buffy thought she should have.

"Thanks," Buffy said as she went to take the notebook from the girl who held on to it a second longer while looking Buffy right in the eye.

Something about the girl was all too familiar to Buffy, but she couldn't figure out what it was about her, or where she had seen her before.

Dru leered at the blonde as she finally let go of the notebook. "He is a delicious one, yeah?" she said referring to the picture as Buffy promptly closed the notebook, hiding the picture once again.

Buffy eyed her up and down as the two of them stood simultaneously, never taking their eyes off each other. "Yeah," Buffy said as she eyes the woman suspiciously. "Thanks again."

Dru raised her nose in the air a bit as she burst into a grin and began to walk away.


Spike watched from afar as the two women exchanged looks and eyed each other up. From the way Buffy reacted he suspected that she hadn't recognized Dru. He found himself relieved because although he'd never seen Buffy get violent, he suspected she wouldn't hold back if Dru tried to start something, which she no doubtedly would... sooner or later.

He couldn't help but let out a shaky sigh as Buffy opened her notebook and looked at the picture again. It would be so easy if he could just run up to her and take her in his arms, make Dru go home and go back to the way things had been a week ago.

Was it really only a week? All of this happened in a matter of a week? It just doesn't seem right...

Unfortunately things weren’t that easy, and right now he really had no idea how to make things between them okay again.


Buffy closed her notebook and took another deep breath and headed for her locker once again, still earning curious looks and hearing hushed conversations about different versions of what happened over break.

It was when she finally reached her locker and began to wind the combination that she heard the voice that made her cringe.

"Buffy..." came the all too familiar voice. Instead of responding she simply turned and looked at the girl, only to be met by an outburst of disgust. "What the hell, Buffy?!" she exclaimed once she reached the locker. "Why haven't you answered any of my phone calls? And who mangled Riley's face?!"

Buffy took a deep breath. "Cordelia, I didn't really feel like talking much these past few weeks."

Aaaaaand here we go...

"Ugh, Buffy... you hooked up with another guy over break and then let said guy beat the crap out of Riley... your boyfriend!! And for what? Defending you?!"

"Excuse me, but were you there? You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about," she said getting angrier by the second.

"What is your childhood drama?! You are RUINING yourself! I can't BELIEVE you did what you did!"

Oh that is IT!

"Cordelia has it ever dawned on you that maybe I don't WANT to be your carbon copy?!"

A small crowd was starting to gather as the two most popular girls in school began yelling at each other.

Cordelia scoffed. "Like you could be! I don't run around screwing dirty foreign bleach jobs as my vacation past time!"

Buffy couldn't resist a small laugh. "If that's all that makes you turn your back on your friends then how about you have a little chat with Riley about what he's been doing! Or better yet, ask your boyfriend. I'm willing to put money down that Angel knows EXACTLY what Riley's been up to!"

"What are you talking about?" she asked, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"Riley's been cheating on me for months, Cordelia... MONTHS! And with all the high-fiving and back slapping those two do, I'm betting Angel knew about it and never bothered to say anything. He could have warned me... What kind of a friend is that? And you! I do one thing you don't quite 'approve' of and you call me out in front of the entire school?" she said motioning to all of the people around them. "What kind of FUCKING friends are you?!"

Cordelia's mouth opened and closed a few times, making her resemble a fish. She was, for once, at a complete loss for words.

Buffy backed away and picked her things up, glaring at her supposed 'best friend' who was now looking at her with disgust. "What you did is still sick. You don't know anything about him! He's a FREAK!"

"He's a freak that allowed me to have some actual real fun for the first time since I've become friends with you," Buffy said softly.

"Well then you'll be happy to know that you're out. We are DONE with you!"

"Gee, you think?" she said as she opened her locker and grabbed her things, slamming it closed so hard it made everyone standing around her jump. "You know, Cordy, so many more people would like you if you would just treat everyone like what they are..."

"Losers?" she said raising her eyebrows and crossing her arms again.

"Human."

"Whatever," Cordy laughed. Xander and Willow pushed their way through the crowd of people and looked back and forth between the two girls. Cordy laughed when Buffy walked toward them. "Go on! Run off with your nice new loser friends. I'm sure they'll get you real far in life."

Buffy cast one more glare over her shoulder at the brunette, and along with Xander and Willow, walked through the crowd of gawking people and went on their way to their classes.


"Are you okay, Buffy?" Willow asked as they were out of earshot from all the on-lookers.

Buffy shook her head and her lip quivered. "No, Wil, I don't think I am..."

Willow gave Xander an apologetic look and he nodded in reassurance as Willow pulled Buffy into the girls bathroom and quickly wrapped her in a hug.

Buffy choked back a few sobs and hugged her friend tight, surprising Willow a bit. "I knew this would happen, I knew. What kind of person am I to have been one of those people for so long and not ever cared?"

"You're the better person, Buffy, and you know it. Don't let her bother you so much. Everybody likes you way better than her."

Buffy nodded and tried to convince herself of what her friend was saying as she tried to calm down. "The thing is... *sniffle* ... she was my best friend for so long... but now... she turned her back on me so quickly..."

Willow felt a pang go through her. She liked to think of herself as Buffy's new best friend, but imagining Xander doing something like what Cordy just did, it made her stomach turn at how hurtful it would be... how hurtful it is for Buffy.

"She'll realize what she did and regret it," Willow said softly, running her fingers through the tips of Buffy's hair. Her heart went out to the girl now more than ever.

The bell rang, sounding for all students to get to their classes. Buffy pulled away from Willow and wiped her eyes. "Thanks, Wil. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Willow merely smiled.

"I'll see you at lunch?" Buffy said hopefully. She had never actually eaten lunch with them at school before. She supposed now she didn't exactly have a choice.

"We'll save you a seat."


x X x X x


Buffy was more than anxious to get to lunch. All day she'd been receiving stares and hearing whispers with her name in it.

Could people be more nosey? Or rude? At least wait 'til I'm not looking right at you!

She was nervous as she made her way through the lunch line, grabbing little things along the way. She was afraid that if she'd eat too much she'd just puke it up as a result of her nerves.

She realized after Willow had left for her classes earlier that Spike usually ate lunch with them, and although she hadn't seen him yet today, she knew he was here. At first she thought about just ditching and telling Willow she couldn't handle all of the stress and 'thats her' looks, but after thinking about it through a good portion of her english class she decided that she would have to see him eventually... Why not make it today? Get it over with...

She did long to see his face again... his eyes, his hollowed cheekbones, the smell of cigarettes mixed with his cologne... she missed him.

Buffy handed the woman at the cash register the money for her lunch, grabbed her tray, and turned to look in the direction of her destination. Willow and Xander were just sitting down, Oz in tow... but no Spike... not yet.

She took a deep breath and began to make her way over to her new table, passing by her old one on the way. Riley was sitting there talking with Angel, both of whom paused to watch her walk by. Riley was wearing big black sunglasses, no doubtedly covering a nasty black eye, and he had a butterfly band aid over his nose. Although she couldn't see his eyes she could tell he was glaring at her.

He made her blood boil.

She felt better as soon as she was past the table and approaching Willow and Xander quickly. "Hey guys," she said setting her tray down next to Willow's.


x X x X x


Spike watched from a distance, once again, as Buffy set her tray down at his usual table.

Can't bloody well sit there now...

He leaned against the doorway as he waited for Dru to come out of the bathroom. He had wanted to see Buffy, he did, but not with Dru around. He was angry with her, yeah, but he didn't want to upset her anymore than she already was.

The door behind him opened and Drusilla walked out, a cocky smile on her face. She looked over Spikes shoulder to see what she suspected he was looking at and was confirmed when she saw the blonde sit down with the redhead and other boy she knew to be Spikes friends.

"Don't worry my sweet," she whispered to him, startling him a bit as she stepped around him and into the cafeteria. "The clouds are coming and you needn't worry about the sunshine anymore..."

Spike rolled his eyes as he followed her.

Crazy bint...

He lightly grabbed her arm and pulled her toward the lunch line. "You're not going over there..."

"Why not?" she cackled. "Afraid kitten's claws might scratch?"

"You're not gonna go over there and make her feel worse. I know you know about what went on with us, and I just don't want you around her okay? Stay here with me."

"Are you saying there may be something left between us that might make kitten feel bad?" she said with hope and malice in mind.

Spike pulled her into the line and looked at her. "Maybe... are you gonna stay away from her?"

She smiled and touched his face.


x X x X x


"Why are you guys still looking at me like that? I told you, I'm fine," Buffy said as she took a sip of her diet coke. Xander and Wil had been acting a little strange ever since she sat down. Like any little thing would cause her to break.

Xander was staring at something off behind her and Willow kept giving her worrisome glances. "There's just some stuff..." Willow began. "About Spike..."

The pain visibly flashed though Buffy's eyes at the mention of his name, but before Willow could finish what she was going to say Buffy caught a glimpse of platinum blonde hair out of the corner of her eye and she quickly looked over.

He sat down at a booth away from their table with a tray of food. Buffy felt a huge wave of disappointment that he didn't come sit at the table with the rest of the group.

He was avoiding her, she had no doubt in her mind. He didn't want to see her, and that made her feel even worse. She carefully looked over at him again, and for the first time in days they locked gazes. He had been looking at her, and when she looked back over he just couldn't look away.


He knew he shouldn't have looked. He saw out of the corner of his eye that she had watched him sit down, but he hadn't expected her to look at him again so soon. As soon as they locked eyes he wanted nothing more than to walk over to her, take her in his arms, give her a mind blowing kiss and take her as his own once again.


Buffy hadn't realized she stopped breathing as they stared at each other, that was until she began gasping for air when a familiar brunette walked into their line of sight, disrupting their gazing, and sat at the booth right along side him. Once the girl was completely seated and smiling and laughing at Spike Buffy realized where she knew that girl from.

Xander saw everything and began talking calmly in the background to her but as she watched the two together it was as if everything around her was shutting down.

"Buf, she showed up yesterday at his house, he didn't know she was coming. I guess she'll be staying with him for a few days, though..."

Buffy's eyes glossed over as tears welled up at the sight of the dark haired beauty she had secretly been so jealous of.

Willow looked at Xander with sad eyes. "How long have you known she was here?"

"Ran into them this morning before homeroom. She's auditing his classes while she's here. Some bullshit about writing a research paper about different learning environments... I don't know," he said glancing at Buffy. "I think she's here just to try and cause more damage."

A single tear rolled slowly down Buffy's cheek as she continued to stare at the two at the their own table.

She came back to him... His black beauty he loved SO much, came back to him. Honestly, what chance do you have now, Buf?

That bastard.

"Drusilla."

As Buffy breathed the girls name she watched as the dark haired woman fed Spike a piece of fruit and smiled sweetly at him.

Another tear fell.

Drusilla looked over to where Buffy was sitting, looked her directly in the eye and winked at her, laughing and smiling the entire time.

Buffy felt like she couldn't breathe. She blinked a few times and broke the eye contact, looking across the table at her worried friends, grabbed her purse and stood, making a bee line toward the door.


"Stop feedin' me, Dru. I'm not a bloody child," he said and he noticed her laughing and smiling to herself. "What are you-" he looked up just in time to see Buffy stand up quickly and head for the door. Judging by the scowl on Willow's face directed in Dru's direction he figured out the reason for Buffy's exit. He shook his head and clenched his teeth. "You know, Dru, I didn't bring you here so you could make things worse..."

"Shh, my Spike... I'm making things better for you, you'll see."


As Buffy walked by her old table on her way out the door Cordelia started cackling with laughter. She had been watching the whole thing.

"Oh my god, Buffy... could you be more pathetic right now?"

Riley gave his friend a questioning look.

"Her spring fling boy toy already moved on..." she said pointing in the direction of Spike and Dru.

Riley and Angel both looked over to where Cordelia had been pointing and chuckled.

Buffy felt as if she'd been shot in the gut. This was no doubt the worst day she'd had in her entire life.

She busted her way through the double doors out into the empty hallway and sniffled as she wiped at her eyes. She had made it half way down the hall that led to the senior parking lot when she heard the double doors fling open again.

"Buffy, luv, wait!"

TBC