Author's Chapter Notes:
This story is inspired by several songs. I can't write if I'm not listening to anything, so... Also, pardon me for any mistakes I make and feel free to correct them if you like. The songs mentioned here don't belong to me in any way, don't sue!!! Please leave reviews, they make my day! ; )
Buffy wiped the counter several times, her mind wandering beyond the realms of The Hole. It would open in 10 minutes and she knew that it would you be a tsunami of people as soon as Frank got the doors opened. Buffy liked her job. It had a decent pay, enough for her to rent a small apartment two blocks down and put food on the fridge. And she got to sing most nights which was great. Lorne was a good guy and so was his partner Ben but you couldn’t actually say that they were anything more to her than colleagues at work because Buffy never got attached.

“Five minutes everyone!” Franks yelled, snapping Buffy out of her reverie. She quickly made her way behind the counter with Ben, turned up the volume of the speakers and waited. Soon, a rush of people started entering, some going towards the table on the sides and back, but mostly making their way right up to the bar.

“Beer. 2.” A cute guy in black slacks and white shirt, tie hanging loop-sided from his open collar leaned forward on the bar, holding up two fingers. Buffy gave him a nod, already filling one of the glasses. Ben was on the other side of the counter, handing tequila shots to a pretty blonde who flirted shamelessly with him.

“4 dollars.” Buffy screamed to the guy in front of her. She quickly traded the money for the two beers and went to serve another shouting customer. The movement picked up quickly and like always, she worked non-stop until 3 AM. That’s when Ben killed the music, got up on top of the counter, mic in hand.

“Ok, people! Shut up!” Some laughed, but the noise died down quickly. “As we do every day, here we have our special 3 AM treat, Ms. Buffy Summers!”

The regulars cheered loudly. Buffy smiled, picked up her guitar from underneath the counter and climbed on top of it while Ben climbed down after handing her the mic. He quickly placed a small stool behind her. She sat and rested her guitar on her folded leg and started to sing.

Spike Devlin, vocalist of the band of the moment felt a sharp ache on his side and promptly dislodged his tongue from the throat of the unknown blond on his arms. Faith, who had just elbowed him hard enough to bruise a rib was leering at him, cocking her head to the bar. “She’s good.”

He pushed the girl on his lap back when she tried to reclaim his lips and listened. Faith was right. The petite blond singing on top of the counter was damn good.

“Dreams last for so long
Even after you’ve gone
I know you love me and so you’ll see
You’re meant for me and I was meant for you”

The lyrics were good too and he’d never heard it before, maybe it was hers? Hooked now, Spike watched, like only he could, drowning everything out but the source of his attention to capture every single detail. He took notice on the way her small hands caressed the strings, fingers precise and comfortable enough to reveal she had been playing for some time now. She was dressed casually, jeans and a white blouse, frilly on the collar, feminine. Her make-up was scant, smoky eyes and lip gloss, the blush that painted her cheeks was natural. The curls framing her face weren’t though. He raised his eyes to hers and frowned. They were a beautiful shade of green but strangely sad and guarded. Spike cocked his head to the side, finding a puzzle he wished to discover.

Faith stared at Spike, deeply entertained. His eyes bore into the small blond on the counter like they wanted to strip her bare. She knew him long enough to know he was studying her to see if she was worth of his time and attention. He was quiet most of the time, had the reputation of a bad boy, but those in the band and his family, the only ones close enough to really understand him, knew he was just cautious. Cordelia had really done a number on him.

“Yeah, you’re right.” He murmured, pushing the blonde off his lap. Standing up, he ignored the chit’s protesting ‘Hey!” and walked slowly towards the bar. Buffy was finishing her song:

“You were meant for me and I was meant for you-u.”

The crowd cheered and whistled. Buffy gifted them with a small smile and climbed down from the counter. She was halfway through the process of placing her guitar back on the case when Spike and Faith arrived at the bar. “’Lo. Name is Spike, this is Faith. Can we chat for a bit?”

Buffy stared at them in open-mouthed surprise. “Huh?”

Spike smirked charmingly at her. “We have a proposition for you.”

“Look, I’m really flattered, but I’m not into that type of thing, really.” Buffy rushed out. The couple in front of her looked confused.

“Pet, what are you talking about?” Spike asked smirking.

“If you’re here to offer some kind of threesome or a swing or voyeurism or… anything involving sex or bondage or… anyway, I’m not interested.” She ticked the options off her fingers. God knew she had enough of those propositions to memorize them by heart. Buffy was surprised when the woman in front of her gave a throaty laugh while the man only grinned, looking amused. “Well, I would be flattered, luv, but since Faith here is my sister, I think we can discard the threesome. But Feel free to do all of the above to me anytime you want, really.”

Buffy’s face immediately heated up like a furnace, cheeks going pink with an embarrassed flush. “I’m sorry.”

“No problem, pet. We just wanted to talk to you about your singing. Was that song yours by any chance?” Spike asked, turning serious but without losing his smile. Good Lord, the girl was absolutely adorable.

Buffy nodded, now more confused than ever. They wanted to talk about her singing? “Yeah, I wrote it a long time ago. Why?”

“Well… Ms…?” Faith asked.

“Buffy. Umm.. Just Buffy.”

“Well, Buffy. The thing is, my brother and I are in a band. It’s called Devlin’s Poetry, I don’t know if you’ve heard of it or not.”

The petite bond shook her head. “Sorry…”

Faith smiled. “No problem, B. We just hit it off in the US. We’re originally a British band. Two days before we came to America our lyricist dropped our ass. We are ok for now but we really need a new one and also someone to pair with Spike here.” – She pointed to her brother – “Vocally, that is. And we think you may be that person.”


Chapter End Notes:
Song by Jewel - "You were meant for me"