Spike grabbed Buffy roughly by the elbow and jerked her out of his room, before slamming the door shut. He grabbed her again when she tried to squirm away, yanking her down the hallway and to the stairs.

Buffy hurried to keep up with him so that she wouldn’t fall as he pulled her down the stairs, across the living room, past a stunned Giles, and shoved her at the door.

“Get. Out. Now.” Spike said, coldly and deliberately.

Buffy flushed bright red. “I–I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean to–”

She stopped, cut off by the murderous look in those cool blue eyes, and looked at the ground. “Sorry,” she said in a quiet voice, before turning and leaving, wincing at the sound of the front door slamming behind her.

***

Giles had been watching the exchange at the door, and came up behind Spike, gently putting a hand on his shoulder. Spike spun around, lashing out with a fist at the contact, and just barely managed to pull back before hitting his uncle.

Taking a step back, Spike ran a shaky hand through his hair. “Leave me alone, Rupes.”

Giles ignored both the stopped punch and his nephew’s statement, taking another step forward. “Tell me what just happened, William.”

Spike’s hands clenched into fists again, and he clenched his jaw, one muscle twitching wildly. “Nothing.”

Giles crossed his arms. “Oh, certainly. That’s why you just forcibly threw that girl out of here and nearly broke my nose. Nothing at all.”

Spike growled, tensing up, but suddenly seemed to wilt, losing all energy as he leaned back against the door, closing his eyes, without answering. Giles looked at him for a minute, and then sighed, turning around and heading into the kitchen. “I think a cup of tea is what we need.”

Spike sat down in the living room, waiting until his uncle returned before looking up.

“Here.” Giles handed Spike a cup of tea, which he took, sipping it slowly. Giles sat down with his own tea and eyed his nephew. “Now, tell me…”

Spike interrupted him. “She broke Mum’s locket.”

Giles’ eyes widened in understanding and sympathy, and he nodded, not saying anything else as the two finished their tea.

***

The rest of the afternoon only got worse for Spike. Leaving the living room after he finished his tea without a word, he had headed up to his room and begun to draw, but soon stopped, realizing that the sort of mood he was in called for a more active exercise of his anger.

Heading down the stairs, he checked the phone book until he found what he was looking for. Sunnydale’s only gym, small and independently owned.

He drove the Desoto there at a speed that was very definitely above the speed limits, and could quite probably be classified as reckless, but he didn’t care. Walking into the gym, he obtained a membership and headed into the only room.

It was large, probably converted from a warehouse, but it was all in one place. In one area there was weight equipment, in another there was various endurance equipment, but the part of the room that caught Spike’s eye was the sparring area.

There was a large mat set up, with a line of tape marking out a ‘do not enter’ area around it. Next to the mat was a second one, with various things such as punching bags.

Spike walked over to the second mat, stripping off his duster and black t-shirt and setting them on a bench. Bending down, he unlaced and pulled off his boots as well, finally just standing barefoot in his jeans.

Setting his clothes to the side, and ignoring the few people already in the gym, who had all stopped to look at him, he stretched and cracked his neck, flexing his fingers, before stepping forward and punching the bag. One punch turned into two, and soon he had developed a mind-numbing rhythm, occasionally broken by a flurry of very hard punches and kicks that he subjected the bag to.

Faith arrived at the gym later than usual, pissed off, and ready to beat the shit out of the punching bag. So when she strode into the main area and saw that it was being used, she got angry, storming over to beat the shit out of the guy instead.

However, when she got close enough to observe the play of muscles on that smooth back, the tight ass encased in skin-hugging jeans, and the obviously practiced way the guy hit the bag, her anger faded. Maybe, she could do something else instead…

“Hey, you!” Faith called, loud enough to make him take notice, but not loud enough to bother the few other people doing weights on the other side of the room.

His punches slowed, then stopped. He waited for the bag to stop moving before leisurely turning around. Faith stared at him. Whoa, I am definitely going for option #2: get him in my bed as fast as possible!

He spoke, panting slightly, “Yeah? What is it?”

“Nice accent.” He cocked an eyebrow, crossing his arms.

“Thanks. Who are you and what do you want?”

Faith smiled. Time to find out. “I think I should be asking you that.” He smirked in response.

“And why’s that?”

Faith grinned, not answering. “I’m Faith Summers. You?”

“Spike Rayne.”

Faith’s eyes widened at the admission. “Really?”

Spike grinned at her. “Heard of me, have you?”

Faith nodded, trying not to look surprised. “Yeah… Well, just the name Rayne.”

Suddenly, he snarled at her, stepping forward. “Don’t say another word. Not another fucking word.”

Faith smirked at him. “Okay, Blondie. But that’s not what I’m interested in right now.”

***

Three hours later, Spike slumped on the bar, nursing his drink, as he watched Faith attempt to sing something onstage. When she returned to his side, he began to laugh.

“Bloody hell Slayer, you call that singing?”

She flipped him off with one hand, reaching for his beer with the other. “Yeah, well, I can… play the drums! And you can’t do either, Bleach Boy.”

Spike raised an eyebrow, pulling the beer away from her. “Actually, I can sing. I’ve been in a band. And don’t steal my sodding beer.”

Faith gaped at him. “Really? Go sing!”

Spike stared at her. “You’re pathetic when you’re sloshed. No, I’m not going to sing any karaoke. I thought you had taste.”

Faith giggled. “No, really, you asshole. Sing, or I’ll…” her hand found its way to his crotch and squeezed painfully, “make you sing!”

Spike winced, leaping away from her, muttering, “Bloody menace…” Sighing, he stood up, not nearly as drunk as his companion. Grabbing her by the shoulders, he dragged her after him.

“Come on Slayer, I’m taking you home.”

Faith looked up at him, smiling seductively. “Oh, really?”

Spike smirked, “Yeah, wanna get laid?”

Faith smirked right back. “I knew I’d found a kindred spirit.”

***

The next morning, Spike woke up after noon. Faith was gone, but had left a note on his pillow.

Hey, Stud.

Nice going… gotta say, I’m very impressed. Unfortunately, I’m not one for repeat performances… issues. Anyway, you were fun and all, but I don’t wanna do it again.
BUT, you did say something about singing? Cause me and these other guys want to start a band, Dingoes Ate My Baby and you could finish us up, if ya want. And if you’re any good, obviously.

Call me if so. 985-6447

Faith


Spike chuckled, pulling on a pair of jeans and stuffing the note into his pocket as he did so.

Once he was dressed, he walked downstairs, eating some toast as he wandered into the living room.

After watching the news, he took a shower and got fully dressed, finally reaching for the phone.

After three rings, Faith picked up. “Yeah?”

Spike’s low voice rumbled across the line. “Hullo luv.”

In her garage, Faith grinned at the sound. “Hi Spike. You calling about the band?”

Spike chuckled, “Yeah.”

Faith sighed in relief, and replied, “Well, we’re actually meeting at my house right now. Come on over.”

***

Spike arrived only 15 minutes later, pulling his Desoto up to her driveway and hopping out almost before it stopped moving. Faith, and a short guy with blue hair, as well as Xander and Willow, looked up.

Spike slammed the car door and walked over to them. “This the band, then?”

Faith grinned. “I’m the drummer, Oz here’s the bassist, Xander’s the keyboardist, and Willow is supposedly our manager.”

Spike grinned, “And I get to be vocals, eh pet?”

Faith merely raised an eyebrow. “Not until you prove yourself worthy.”

Spike chuckled and pointed back at his car. “Lemme just get my guitar.”

Walking out back to his car, Spike heard someone call his name. Not bothering to turn around, he answered, “Told you, just a sec.”

“Spike? What… Why are you here?”

Spike whirled around at the sound of Buffy’s voice. “What do you mean?”

She flushed. “I mean… at my house?”

Spike frowned, pulling his guitar from the car and slamming the door. “I’m here for Faith’s band.”

Buffy nodded. “Oh.” She said in a quiet voice.

Spike stalked past her towards the garage but stopped when he felt her hand on his shoulder. “Spike… I’m really sorry.”

Spike closed his eyes, still facing away from her as she continued, “I didn’t mean to break your locket, and I get that it was really important to you… I just, I don’t want you to be so mad at me.”

Spike opened his eyes and turned around. “That's nice. Really, it is. But if you hadn't noticed, I'm a little busy right now."

Buffy glared at him. "Fine! I was trying to be nice."

Spike chuckled, and turned, re-entering the garage. Buffy glared after him angrily, but after standing alone for a long minute, she followed.

The band was already set up by the time Spike entered, and he was just hooking his guitar up to the speakers when Buffy walked up and leaned on the open garage door.

Faith gaped at her twin sister. "What are you doing, B? Don't you have some shopping to do?"

Willow and Xander also stared. Oz just raised an eyebrow a smidgen and Spike ignored her. Buffy shrugged. "Riley and Angel and Cordy are on their way to pick me up. I just thought I'd watch you until then."

Faith shrugged. "Whatever."

***

"Okay, I think it's safe to say that you're in the band," Willow smiled, glancing around at everyone else for their agreeing nods. "Give me your phone number and I'll call you for the next practice once I work out when everyone's free."

Spike nodded, and walked over to her, brushing past Xander, who flinched, still somewhat scared of the new guy. Buffy, still leaning on the garage door, frowned at the exchange, but was distracted by her sister walking up to her.

"What's going on, B? And don't tell me you were just waiting for your buddies, because you've never watched us before."

Buffy fidgeted and babbled nervously. "Nothing. I'm just – curious, that's all. I mean, I never watch you guys, and I thought it was about time, now that you have a vocalist, not that that's why I was watching, because it wasn't, but I was curious about how you guys would sound, that's all!"

Faith smirked at her 3-minutes younger sister. "Oh, I get it. You want a piece of the new guy, don't you?"

Buffy jumped. "No! I do not! Why would you – hey look, there's Riley!"

She practically ran away from her sister to leap into the footballer's embrace, planting a kiss on his mouth. "Hey Ry, where are Angel and Cordy?"

Her boyfriend put on a fake-shocked expression. "And I thought it was the guy who's supposed to forget the anniversary!" Buffy gaped, and he grinned. "Relax, I'm just kidding. We both know it's next week. They just decided to go out for a movie, so I thought we could get dinner."

Buffy relaxed, taking his hand and walking with him to the car. "Sounds good to me. Date time it is!"

Neither of them noticed the angry blue eyes watching them from the garage as the car pulled away. Spike shook his head angrily, and nodded to Willow and the others before getting into his own car and driving away – in the opposite direction.