Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters.
Elizabeth walked through the halls of Sunnydale High with her brown hair swept up in a ponytail, and headed to her English literature class. She took a seat beside her best friend, Willow Rosenberg. Remembering the first time they'd met always seemed to make Elizabeth sad, but also put a smile on Elizabeth’s face as she remember the aftermath.

It had been the end of the school day and she'd been running late, going down the steps two at a time. Most everyone had already left for the day, but she saw a girl huddled on the bottom step. Hesitating for a minute, Elizabeth thought better then to disturb her, so she carried on. When she heard sobs, she reached the bottom step and took a seat beside the distraught girl.

“Are you okay?” Elizabeth asked, quite certain that this girl was not in the least bit okay.

The shy redhead tried to stifle her sobs before shaking her head in frustration.

“No, I’m not. I don’t know what to do and well, you'll probably just laugh at me anyway, seeing as I don’t know you, and you're probably with them.” The girl let out another sob and suddenly she seemed to get angry. “Befriend the loser; is that it? Because if it is, I’m not in the mood for playing…I…I just want to be left alone. Is that too much to ask? Of course it is, cause you can’t tease the loser if she’s not there to be teased… can't,” the girl sobbed, “mock her either, but that doesn’t matter does it, because you’ll do it anyway. Go ahead, take your best shot. Get that stupid, hurtful comment out of the way, cause I know your dying to say something. So say it and then leave me alone!” The girl yelled before bursting in to another round of fresh tears, her body racking with huge sobs.

Elizabeth suddenly felt very protective of this upset girl, as she had drawn her own conclusions to who ‘Them’ were. “I don’t suppose you mean the popular crowd, do you?” When the girl answered with a nod, Elizabeth felt a pang of sympathy for her. “I’m not with them. Frankly I can’t stand them, and I’m a loser, too. Well, by their standards anyway. It’s not so bad, especially if you have a friend.” Deciding to go for it, Elizabeth braced herself for rejection. “I’m Elizabeth Summers.”

Having finally got a hold of herself, the girl smiled slightly, figuring this girl didn’t seem so bad. “Willow Rosenberg”

Returning the smile, Elizabeth put on her jacket. “Nice to meet you, Willow.”

Coming back to the present, Elizabeth re-adjusted her reading glasses. She was only required to wear them when reading, but she usually kept them on in-between classes, because her pair of glasses had a habit of being grabbed and smashed by other people, who insisted on never leaving her alone. People who also seemed hell bent on making her life a living hell, torturing her everyday at school and every time she dared to go out after school, if she bumped in to them.

Opening her notebook, she made a few notes. As far as she was concerned, the sooner this lesson ended, the better. After this, she only had one more class before school would be over. The school would be closed for Spring Break and then she’d be free. Looking around the class, she noticed Harmony Kendall. The blonde was a cheerleader who happened to be one of the most slutty, incompetent airheads that she'd ever had the misfortune of running in to.

Unfortunately, the school seemed to be filled with girls who were either an airhead, a bitch or too beneath anyone to be talked to or to be treated as a human in general. She fell in to the latter category, as did Willow and many of the other students, both male and female. Boys we’re either too good to treat anyone like they mattered, unless those certain people were their girlfriend material choice of the week and their so called friends, of course. Then there were the guys who we’re beneath other students or the ever growing bad boy selection. The newly unwritten way to cope with the latter was you didn't talk to them; they didn't talk to you.

One of those not so newly known bad boys was William ‘Spike’ Giles. Of course she had noticed him; it was hard not to, though he mostly kept to himself. He had a habit of getting himself in to trouble, but that didn’t stop her from getting a crush on him. The only person who knew about her crush was Willow, and she intended it to stay that way.

Shaking herself out of her train of thought, Elizabeth noticed the hour-long class only had thirty-four minutes to go. Figuring she really must have gotten caught up in her daydreaming, she concentrated on what the lecture was about, making notes as the teacher went on to explain about the black plaque.

In the middle of her writing, she noticed a note being slipped on to her desk. Finishing her sentence and checking that the teacher wasn’t looking, she opened the note and smiled as she recognized Willow’s familiar scrawl.

Are you really going to your dad’s for the spring break?

Knowing that the rumor, that she had no idea how it had started, had finally gotten around to her friend, she considered lying for a moment before realizing she couldn’t do that to Willow, so she wrote her answer on a new page of paper before passing the note back to her.

Opening the note and reading Elizabeth’s reply, Willow glanced at Elizabeth, saddened as she finally knew that she was going to be without her best friend. Reading the letter again, Willow considered how to react.

Willow,
I’m not going to stay with my dad for just the spring break. I’m going to be staying there, most likely, for the whole summer, though I am considering staying for the rest of the year. He has offered to have me for that long. Well, he offered to let me live there indefinitely, but I seriously doubt that’s going to happen. I leave today after school. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. Every time I tried to, I just couldn’t. I have to get away from here. We both know I hate it here. You're one of the main reasons I didn’t go last year, but this time I’m going. Now I know what your thinking 'Lizzy will go off and forget about me', but I won’t. I’ll email you everyday, and we can talk on the phone and with Instant messaging.

That is if you still want to be my friend? I honestly didn’t even know about being invited to stay for spring break till a couple of weeks ago and then last night my dad offered to have me there for the whole year. How did you find out about me going away?


Sighing, Willow wrote her answer and passed it back to Elizabeth.

Of course I still want to be your friend. I’ll be your best friend forever, no matter how far away. I can’t say that I won’t miss you and that I’m not a little angry you kept this from me, but I can forgive you.

Xander told me he overheard the secretary talking to your mom on the phone about your transcripts.

Just keep in touch? Log on to your laptop on the bus. I’m assuming you won’t be taking a train or getting someone to drive you. I’ll be online for most of the evening anyway. I never thought I’d be thankful for my parents going away.

We’ll talk after class, Lizzy.


Elizabeth smiled as she noticed Willow had called her by the nickname that she had titled her with in the second week they’d been friends. Smiling at Willow, she grabbed her bag as class was over, said her goodbyes to Willow, because she wouldn’t be seeing her in the last class and exited the classroom. Unfortunately, saying goodbye to Willow had taken longer then expected, so she was now walking through an empty hallway.

Not seeing the wet floor sign, she ended up falling to the ground. Grimacing as she tripped over it and lost her footing, she started to get up and gather her books. She took two from the hand suddenly offering one. Looking up as she took the book, She found herself gazing in to the blue eyes of William ‘Spike’ Giles.


Chapter End Notes:
Yeah i know. I probably shouldn't have ended on a cliffhanger but i couldn't help myself.

Reviews would inspire me to write more and maybe a little bit faster :Bats eyelashes: Please?