Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter jumps to NC-17 - I wasn't expecting it, but alas, here it is - so warning:).
Chapter 5

Bloody god awful dreams...

“What happened to Harris?” Spike asked.
“He went to Africa, don’t you remember?”
“Why'd he go there?” Spike was confused. “I thought he liked practicing medicine in LA.”
"He had a job to do."


###

There was so much wrong here Spike couldn’t just pick one thing. He was in a lavish bathroom in a suite in a fancy hotel, one of the last left in LA, and he was naked. Not the worse thing, but standing three feet away staring at him, with lust in her eyes, was Buffy. And, God help him, she’d just said he was beautiful.

In what time zone would she say something like that to him?

He should get out of the tub and run. Haul ass to some other side of town; see if he could get someone else to help nail the demon dealing bad fresh water.

But no, there was no one. Except for the chosen ones—Spike and his partner, Buffy, hot on the heels of the bad guy, itching to put him down. Which in a very scary way felt natural, even if it was the year 2082 and his partner looked like another girl named Buffy. But that girl was a slayer and not a vampire.

He put his hand over his chest, clutching at something he knew was missing. Something that should be there.

He then saw the look in Buffy’s eyes and it trapped him again. He couldn’t swallow. The blood-sucking, soulless demon that looked like Buffy. Talked like Buffy. Watched his back…like Buffy...stood in front him, threatening to take off her clothes. And his body was responding, even if his soul didn’t want it to.

“You’re just going to stand there and stare at me?” he said, hoping she’d disappear.

“What’s wrong Spike?” Some of the lust in her eyes was replaced with concern. “All I want is to have some fun. We’ve been chasing Cross for days.” She started taking off her clothes. Boots first.

There was an ache in the back of his throat. “You think I want to be with you?” He stood up in the tub. “Do you know who you look like? What she meant to me?”

“Not really.” Buffy said. “I shouldn’t mean anything to you. I’m a vampire. You’re a vampire. We can’t afford feelings. We’re about survival.” She finally stopped staring him straight in the eye and started fidgeting with her hands again.

For a second, he thought he saw sadness in her expression, and a painful memory seemed to flicker over her eyes. But she quickly pushed it aside.

He had to think. There had to be something he could say or do to make this moment less surreal. “You took the time to learn about me before we hooked up at the Club, right?” he said.

“Well, yes." She studied the floor as if rethinking a decision.

“But now you think something’s wrong." He leaned forward, hopeful.

“Yeah, you’re out of your freaking mind.”

Spike saw it in her eyes. The worm had turned and she went back to disrobing. The wool tights joined the boots on the floor. Her blouse hit the linoleum next and she had her hands on the zipper of her black skirt.

Spike took a step toward her. “There’s so much about you that’s the same.” His resolve wasn't as resolved as he’d planned. This close he couldn’t stop himself. He had to touch her. He reached out and caressed her cheek. “You feel so cold.”

“So,” she smiled, as if she’d won a bet. “We’ll turn on the hot water in the shower and fuck under the steaming spray.”

“Buffy would never say that,” he said, but his cock had twitched so hard neither one of them could ignore it. And than a big part of him lost interest in avoiding what had to happen next.

Vampire Buffy made the first move, or remaining true to form, continued leading Spike down the path to bloody hell. She embraced him, hands cupping his ass. He froze, wondering why she smelled like his Buffy and not death.

Releasing him suddenly, she slipped out of her blouse and tossed it on the floor. Now, her hands were on the zipper of her skirt. They worked quickly and Spike’s eyes followed the skirt as it joined the other items.

They stood facing each other naked.

“Can you see me?” Buffy said, the tremor in her voice sending shock waves through his body.

“What?” he said quietly. “I’m looking at you.”

“Good. Watch carefully.” She stepped close, kissed his chest, just once, and placed her palms over his pecs. A slow massage and then her hands drifted expertly down to the tense muscles of his stomach until she was holding his cock.

Vampire or not, cool hands or not, Spike was trembling, he wanted her that much.

She squeezed his cock, as strong as the Slayer used to, and a satisfied expression swept over her face when Spike groaned.

“I need you to see me,” she said. “The real me.”

Spike felt hypnotized and all he could do was mumble. “Okay.”

The water steamed from the showerhead, soaking her hair and her body. Spike didn’t recall when Buffy had turned it on. But it was falling over him and her lean body, and from her pointed nipples.

“Promise, you won’t hate me later,” he said quietly.

“Why would I do that?”

Spike’s hand touched the slight swell of her stomach. “Just promise.”

“Okay," Buffy said. "I promise.”

###

Six Days Earlier...

“Scout’s Honor, Buffy, this will work.” Willow sounded confident. “I promise you, it’s the only way to save him.”

“I know,” Buffy answered, wishing it hadn't come to this, but what else could she do. "It's the only way to bring him back, and I’m the only one who can get the job done.”

“Come on Buffy, it’s not going to be all that bad.”

“Magic always has its consequences," Buffy muttered, before looking Willow in the eye. "If it’s not going to be bad than why don’t you come with me?”

“I’m not the Slayer.”

"I’m not the only slayer around anymore either.”

“You’re the only one who was the one and only Slayer.”

“For a couple of months,” Buffy corrected her. “Than Faith showed up and I was one of two.”

“And now you’re one of thousands,” Willow said. “But that still doesn’t change the fact you were the one.”

“Okay,” Buffy replied. “But I wish we didn't have to use magic, or at least I wish you were the one stepping into the portal.”

“I’m only a witch, Buffy.” Willow shrugged. “I can’t save the world. I can only create the portal you will use to save it. And you're the one who said, bringing back Spike will save the world.”

Buffy nodded. "Yes, the first slayer told me in a dream, and I believe her."

“I know," Willow said. "Saving Spike, bringing him back from hell, will make all the difference.”

“I need him, too, you know.”

“Yes, Buffy, we kind of figured that out a while back.”

“Oh.”

“Sunnydale at the bottom of a crater with Spike burned to a crisp.” Xander strolled into the basement. "You unable to get that insane expression you called a smile off of your face for what?" He counted on his fingers. "Three years?"

“What are you doing here?” Buffy said. "And it was only one year, and then he was back in LA."

"And then a year later, he was dead again." Xander was counting on his fingers again. "I know Willow is right Buffy. If we can get him back, maybe he can help us stop Wolfram and Hart. If not, we won't have any slayers left by this time next year."

"It's bleak, Xander," Willow said. "But not that bleak."

"Okay, you're right." He walked over to Buffy and grabbed her by the shoulders. "Be careful. This isn't your usual trip to another dimension. You're going to hell to convince Spike he has the power to come back here, if he wants to. But you have no idea, what his version of hell is all about."

"Willow has taken a look. She says there are a few things that concern her." She sighed loudly. "We've got it under control."

"Okay then, let's do this," Xander said and kissed her on the forehead.

A twisting, spinning portal came up through the wall and circled Buffy. Willow and Xander held onto to each other as she stepped into the portal and vanished.

When the room stopped spinning, Xander gave Willow a hard look with his one eye. "Are you sure this is going to work?"

Willow bit her upper lip.

"Willow?"

"Yes, but there may be a few things Buffy will have to overcome."

"For instance," Xander glared at her.

"She might not remember she's the slayer, or that she knows Spike, or, I don't know, she may not even be a slayer in Spike's version of hell."

"Oh my God, Willow."

"It will be okay." Willow started up the staircase. "I'm sure of it."

to be continued...