Chapter 10

No jail cell could really hold Spike. He could easily escape if he wanted to, but for some reason, he stayed put. That girl really had made a right ponce out of him. There was a commotion going on in the police station, and Spike wondered what it could be. He was about to yell for someone to tell him what was going on, when a vision was suddenly standing in front of his cell.

“That doesn’t look very comfortable.”

Spike glared at her. “Are you here only to mock me?”

Buffy grinned. “Nope, I’m here to get you out.” She bent the bars, giving him enough room to squeeze through them.

He raised his eyebrows in confusion. “What’s this about?”

“No time to chat, we have to get out of here before they come back.”

Spike wasn’t one to be told twice and took off after her.

Once they were safely outside, they both soared through the air to get as far away as possible, stopping in the alley behind the Bronze.

“Not that I’m not grateful or anything, but why did you help me?”

She shrugged. “It just didn’t feel right. I know you should be locked up, but I believe that people can change. You have to get out of town, Spike. I’ll make sure that no one comes after you, but you have to promise to change your ways. Don’t make me regret letting you go.”

He nodded, even though leaving her was the last thing he wanted to do, but didn’t see another way out of this, either.

Buffy grabbed his arm before he could take off. “Earlier, when you said that he loves me, did you mean William?”

Spike gave her a smile, caressing her cheek tenderly. “Every part of me loves you.”

She watched in sadness as he flew up into the sky, and was soon out of sight. Buffy had a feeling that she wouldn’t be seeing him again.


* * * * *


“Man, I would like to know that guy’s secret. I can’t believe Spike was finally arrested, and he managed to escape. Wherever Porn Girl is right now, she’s probably really pissed off.”

Buffy twirled her straw around in her diet coke, lost in thought.

“Earth to Buffster, you alive in there?”

She was brought out of her reverie by Xander’s voice, putting on a smile. “Sorry, I guess I’m kind of distracted. I don’t think this town will have to worry about Spike anymore. He’s probably not stupid enough to come back knowing the cops will be looking for him.”

Xander nodded. “Yeah, but I still can’t believe it was Mr. Pratt the whole time. How sad is it that no one was able to recognize him?”

Buffy shrugged. “It happens, a lot of superheroes and villains have secret identities. How do you know that Porn Girl doesn’t? She might not even be a real blonde.”

Xander pointed his finger at her. “Don’t even joke about that.”

“I’m just saying, you never know.”

Willow decided to speak up after remaining quiet the whole time. “Are you okay, Buffy? I know you had a crush on Mr. Pratt.”

Xander turned to her. “You were crushing on our teacher? That’s just disturbing, especially now that we know he was a criminal.”

Buffy gave them both a reassuring smile. “I’ll be fine, not like it was anything serious. I have something to do, so I’ll catch you guys later.”

They watched her walk away, both wondering if she was really fine as she said.


* * * * *


“I hope you don’t end up regretting this, Buffy. Letting a dangerous man like that go, after you’ve tried so hard to catch him.”

Buffy let out a sigh. “Things are different now, he’s different. I love him, Jenny. You don’t know how hard I’ve tried to fight it, but I just can’t anymore. I couldn’t leave him in there. Besides, he could have easily gotten himself out, but he didn’t. He was in there for two days and never even tried. I know that he can be a good man, I feel it. He just needed to be given a chance to prove himself.”

Jenny nodded. “I really hope you’re right.”

Buffy hoped so, too.


* * * * *


She was beyond exhausted when she finally made it home that night, only to find her mother waiting for her.

Joyce stood up, holding something in her hands.

As she got closer, Buffy noticed that it was one of her Porn Girl outfits.

“I think we have a lot to talk about.”


* * * * *


Buffy lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling. The conversation with her mother went a lot better than she thought it would.

“Why didn’t you ever tell me?” Joyce wondered

“When would have been a good time, Mom? You’ve made your thoughts about Porn Girl perfectly clear. You hated her, always called her a slut, or a whore, excuse me for not thinking it would be a good idea to tell you.”

Joyce took a deep breath. “I’m sorry I made you feel that way, but you could have come to me with this. I just don’t understand how it could have happened. Is it my fault? I thought I did a good job of raising you.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I was just at the wrong place, and the wrong time. It was no one’s fault. Look, I know Porn Girl has done a lot that you really wouldn’t approve of, but she’s also saved a lot of lives, put a lot of bad guys behind bars. That has to count for something.”

“Why do you talk like she’s someone else?”

Buffy shrugged. “I don’t know, sometimes it feels like she is. Like I’m really two different people, with two different personalities. When I’m not in the outfit, it’s hard to really think about the fact that I am Porn Girl. I know this isn’t what you wanted for me, and I’m sorry that I disappointed you. I just don’t know how to be anything else. You don’t know how much I wished that I could have confided in you, or my friends. I was just scared. If I told you guys about me, that would have put you at risk. I couldn’t bear the thought of anything happening to any of you.”

Joyce put her arm around Buffy, feeling that it was long overdue for some mother/daughter bonding.


Buffy smiled as she thought about the long talk they had after that, it felt like they hadn’t really talked in forever. She was glad that her mother knew the truth now, and that she wasn’t going to disown her because of it. Buffy turned over, clutching her stuffed pig to her chest as she finally let sleep claim her.


* * * * *


Spike smiled as he watched her sleep, looking so beautiful and innocent. Her childhood was taken away from her, and he hoped that she would be able to get it back one day. He kissed his fingertips, then traced her windowpane, imagining that he was touching her one last time. With one final look at his love, Spike took off into the night sky.