Never Hit A Girl…Unless She Hits You First

Buffy would never tell her friends this, but sometimes she just wanted to patrol alone. Yes, there were the times in which they’d proven to be liabilities, and of course there were instances when she was forced to hesitate in battle because they were with her, but those weren’t the reasons why she’d have rather been alone.

This was her job. It was who she was. Xander and Willow had the privilege of choosing whether or not they wanted to go out with her and save the world. They got to go to bed at night without worrying about the fates of innocent people on the Sunnydale streets. She didn’t have that luxury. She hated herself for it, but sometimes she resented her friends for that. She hated that they had the choice of backing out.

And at the same time, it was hers. Not having that choice was hers and in an odd way, Buffy felt comforted by that finality.

She let out a breath. No one could ever understand what it meant to be the Slayer. They would never understand how it tore her up inside to make the tough decisions. Like her recent decision to kill Spike. If he was evil. Which, she was sure he was.

It was a shame since she’d been getting used to his inappropriate jokes, his deliberate teasing, and mischievous smirks. All those things made her want to punch his face in, and at the same time it made her want to…to what? She couldn’t even begin to decipher her ambivalent feelings toward Spike.

Buffy decided to take the long route home. She crossed into a familiar alleyway but stopped when she noticed a dark figure hunched on the ground in the near distance. She squinted her eyes and stepped closer to get a better look.

There, on the ground was Spike, blood soaking his shirt and hands, and a dead girl in his arms. He was breathing rapidly, his forehead resting on the victim’s own. Buffy’s heart began to thump as she pulled out her stake. This couldn’t be happening. She had held out the slightest tinge of hope that perhaps Spike wasn’t who Angel said he was. She was wrong.

“So you are evil,” she breathed into the shadows.

He looked up at her with those piercing blue eyes. Were those…sad eyes? “Buffy.”

“Looks like I have to kill you after all,” she announced, before brandishing the weapon and stalking towards him.

Spike’s eyes briefly widened in surprise before he placed the body gently on the ground and backed away. Was that a…stake? What the hell was Summers doing with a stake? “I don’ know what you think you just saw luv, but I assure you it’s not what you think it is.”

“That’s what they all say,” Buffy responded before placing a well-aimed kick to his gut. Spike hunched over in pain and received a forceful elbow to the back of his head before he could recover.

‘What the bloody hell is going on here?’ he thought as his face slammed into the ground. He rolled over and caught her foot as it came close to making contact with his head. She lost her balance when he twisted her leg, and fell on her ass with a hard thud.

Spike got to his feet and backed up. “I don’t want to hurt you Buffy,” he warned, still shocked and disoriented. He felt like he was in some kind of nightmare. Was Buffy a monster?

“You don’t want to hurt me?” she repeated incredulously as she pulled herself from the ground. “Just like you hurt that girl over there? What are you Spike? What kind of demon are you?”

“I could ask you the same question,” he answered. The air around him had grown hot, and he couldn’t tell if it was because of a sudden burst in humidity or if it was the anger rolling off of Buffy in palpable waves.

He could tell she wouldn’t believe him if he tried to explain. And he wasn’t sure he wanted another one of her inexplicably forceful blows to his stomach. “If it’s a fight you want, heaven knows I won’t pass up the opportunity to have a pretty girl’s hot hands all over me.” He got into fighting stance, wondering if she was strong enough to call his bluff.

He knew it was generally frowned upon to hit girls, but Buffy’s unusually powerful elbow to his head gave him the impression she wasn’t a normal girl. He decided he’d shut her up with a good ass kicking and then ask questions later.

She charged at him with a flurry of kicks and punches that he blocked with his arms. When the opportunity finally presented itself, he aimed an unrelenting fist to her chest. But she was too quick. She leaned her body to the side and proceeded to block his offensive attacks.

“So much anger hiding in that small frame, pet,” he mocked between grunts. “Makes me wonder if you’ve got Daddy issues, or if it’s just that time of the month.” With a stealth he wasn’t accustomed to, she whipped behind him and kicked him in his spine. His body collided violently against the brick wall. When he turned around, she was there with her forearm forcefully against his throat.

“Take your pick Spike,” she breathed. “You’re just giving me more reasons to kill you.” His breath stilted as the arm against his throat increased its pressure.

“We’ll see ‘bout that pet,” he answered, using both of his hands to remove her limb from his trachea. He wrapped her right arm behind her back, eliciting a pained groan from her lips. “It’s not smart to be so arrogant during battle. Didn’t they teach you that at the dojo?” he teased, his mouth dangerously close to her ear. Her warm scent drifted past his nose and he shivered in the heat. She damn sure smelled like a girl.

Buffy felt his breath against her neck and imagined he was just inches away from biting her flesh.

With a grunt, she flung her legs backwards, catching him in between his legs. He let go of her arm and fell to the ground, clutching his privates and groaning in pain. “Pet, I ‘ave to be honest with you, that’s against the rules.” When he finally arose, Buffy was on him again, throwing a series of quick attacks at him.

Spike couldn’t help but notice how hot Buffy looked as she concentrated on kicking his ass, sweat dripping between her chest. If Harmony wasn’t flexible enough to reach that position he enjoyed so much, he’d now confirmed that Buffy was. Heh.

While his mind strayed elsewhere, Buffy was finally able to pull him to the ground. She straddled his hips, stake in hand, ready to plunge into his heart. They both panted hot breaths in the silence.

“What are you?” She demanded again, poised to kill him.

He couldn’t answer, mesmerized by the woman on top of him. The streetlight shone behind her like a halo, belying the fact that she wasn’t as innocent as he thought she was. What was it about this girl that confused the hell out of him?

“He tried to save me.”

Spike and Buffy’s gazes whipped toward where the third voice came from. It was the dead girl.

“It’s a good thing he didn’t. I’d still be a human.” The bones in her face warped sickeningly as she vamped out. Spike pushed Buffy off of him as the dead girl rushed towards them, poised to kill. He got to his feet and kicked the newly made vampire into the brick wall. She was still weak. Spike grabbed Buffy’s stake and stalked over to the sprawled out demon.

“I’m sorry I couldn’ save you,” he apologized before plunging the stake into her heart. Spike dropped to his knees and breathed heavily. He could hear Buffy’s stunned silence behind him.

“Who are you?” She repeated, for the last time. Her voice sounded unsure. She watched his crumbled figure as he let out a shaky breath. He kept his eyes on the pile of dust. Questions needed to be answered by the both of them. He sighed and decided to go first.

“I’m what they call the Slayer.”

He didn’t hear her jaw dropping behind him.


Chapter End Notes:
Me and you both, Buffy.

Now the question is, will she believe him? Then again, when have you ever seen Buffy believe Spike on the first try?

Thank you all for your wonderful, thoughtful reviews! You all are too funny for your own good. Drop me a line by pressing the review button! Any input is good input (unless it’s bad input, of course. But that’s welcome too!)