Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the lack of updates. Life is getting in my way apparently. Thank you for all the wonderful reviews!
Spike

Not to sound like total bender or anything, but sometimes the stars look bloody brilliant sitting from the rooftop. If you lie on your back an’ concentrate hard enough, it feels as if it’s just you and the stars, y’know? Like you could close one eye, reach out, and grab one in between your thumb an’ index finger. Capture its effervescence.

That is, if you like that sort of poofy thing, of course.

I sighed an’ took a slow drag of my cigarette, breathing in the warm air outside. Aunt Jenny had been complaining earlier about my smoking in the house. Had it been anyone else, say, my excuse for a father, I’d’ve said piss off. But since it was Jenny, I found a spot on the roof to enjoy my nasty habit. I’d called the Watcher’s Council in an attempt to learn more about demon activity in Sunnydale. No answer. Here I was, Watcher-less and bored as all hell, and those duffers couldn’t even pick up their phones.

I shook my head and took another puff before realizing that nothing particularly earth-shattering was bound to happen out there on the roof. I might as well go inside and have myself a wank before fallin’ asleep. First day of school was tomorrow, after all. As I began to climb through my window, a flash of blonde on the street caught my eye.

Bouncing golden hair. Admittedly sexy legs. Typical bitchy demeanor.

Definitely Summers.

I squinted my eyes to make sure I wasn’t imagining things. What the hell was Summers doing leaving her house this late at night? I quickly decided that I was going to find out. Not because I was worried about the bint’s safety, mind you, but because I was bloody bored and somewhat nosey.

After scaling down the nearest tree, I began to follow her from a safe distance, watching as her hips swayed impatiently to get to her mysterious destination. For a few minutes I traced her, and noticed that we were heading towards Sunnydale’s main cemetery.

‘Why the hell is Summers heading to the cemetery?’ I wondered.

I smirked to myself, letting my thoughts drift off inappropriately. The view from back here wasn’t too bad if I were to be honest with myself. Buffy had assets that could turn a git like me into her willing slave. Sex slave, that is. But of course, she had to ruin that by going around dousing innocents like myself with bottles of water. It was a lack of couth is what it was. I’d long decided that I would stop trying to be friends with the girl and try a career out of pestering her ‘til she went mad. That’d teach ol’ Summers a thing or two about mistreating foreigners.

Now let me interject and warn you, for future reference of course, that it is not a particularly smart idea to think such idle thoughts while tracking a girl at night. Because, as your mind begins to wander, you may just get caught off guard by a huge dark figure who tackles you to the ground and renders you helpless. Said dark figure may crawl on top of you and begin to punch you senselessly as you struggle to get him off of you.

That, my friends, is exactly what happened to me, if you hadn’t already figured it out.

All I could think of while the man with the large forehead and broad shoulders pummeled me into the ground was ‘Buffy better be damn grateful I was here to protect her.’ Not that I cared or anything, but this ass kickin’ oughta make up for whatever I said to her at the beach.

---

“Get off of him Angel!” Buffy cried, pulling the bigger man off of Spike.

Angel stumbled back, confused. “This guy was following you Buffy!” he explained as the other man got up from the ground.

“I was not!” Spike denied in offense, dabbing a finger at his bloody lip. ‘So this is Angel?’ thought Spike, giving him the once over. ‘Nothing special.’

Angel approached him in anger. “Yes, you were you lying bastard!”

“I was not following her all right Angel,” Spike assured, stepping up to the taller man. “I have better things to do than mindlessly pursue your little girlfriend in a bout of boredom.”

Angel huffed. “She’s not my girlfriend,” he clarified.

Buffy flinched slightly. Was it so important to Angel to make that particular point so clear?

“Assuming I was following her, which, I’m obliged to repeat, I was not, how would you know? Looks like someone was doing a bit of stalking of his own.”

Angel faltered. “Who is this guy, Buffy?” he demanded, keeping his eyes on the man who was still standing inches away from his face. “I already don’t like him, and I’m contemplating burying him into the ground.”

“Try it,” Spike challenged.

Buffy rolled her eyes, bored with the display of machismo. She stepped in between the two men and pushed them away from each other rather forcefully. “He’s Spike. The annoying neighbor I warned you about. And obviously you were both following me. What the hell were you doing, Angel? We already talk about how I can take care of myself!”

“Buffy it’s late. You should know not to go…” he glanced at Spike, “…strolling alone.”

She shook her head in frustrated confusion. “What’s up with this sudden bout of paranoia? The other night I find you in my room and tonight you’ve gone all private agent on me?”

“I care about you, Buffy,” he answered in a low voice. “I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

She crossed her arms. “For someone who’s not your girlfriend, you sure do care a lot.”

Angel sighed. “Come on Buffy. That’s a low blow. You know I care.”

“You care enough for me to wake up in the morning and you not be in my bed? And then to not pick up my phone calls? And then for me not to hear from you until tonight when you’re mysteriously trailing me? Your version of caring sucks.”

Angel glanced over at a very interested Spike. “Can we have this conversation some other time? Say, like when he’s not here.”

Spike shook his head. “No, this is riveting! Just pretend I’m not even here. C’mon Angel, answer the question. Why didn’t you pick up her phone calls?”

Buffy shot Spike a glare, to which he smugly made a zipping motion across his lips and threw away the imaginary key. “And what are you doing out here anyway?” she wanted to know. Angel breathed a sigh of relief, glad to have Buffy’s anger focused on someone other than him.

“I hear it’s a free country,” Spike huffed cheekily. “If I so choose to explore my surroundings, I don’t see anything wrong with that. Frankly, I’m offended that this brute of yours ruined my peaceful walk.”

Buffy took a deep, frustrated breath. It looked like she’d have to forego patrol tonight. She was looking forward to it too, on account of the fact that she was filled with anger. And the two sources of her rage were standing right in front of her.

“I’m going home,” she announced, “and nobody even think about following me.” She stormed off, boots furiously stomping on the pavement.

A few moments passed as the two young males watched her angry retreating figure in silence.

“Now look what you did,” Spike accused.

“Me? You’re the one who was all ‘It’s a free country,’” Angel replied, mocking the accent.

“Yeah, well you’re the one who wouldn’t return her phone calls, and that, mate, makes you the bigger jackass between the two of us.”

Another few moments passed.

“So now what?” Angel wondered out loud.

“I’m gonna follow her.”

“Are you out of your mind?”

“She’s going the way of my house. And I refuse to find a different route just ‘cause your bird is PMS-ing.”

Angel sighed. “Whatever Spike.”

“Cheers, mate,” he responded mischievously, taking off in Buffy’s direction.

Angel shook his head and began towards his house. A few minutes later, he was on the ground screaming from the intense visions bursting behind his closed eyelids. After the vision passed, he lay there breathing heavily.

Something was not right about Spike’s past, and he had to warn Buffy before the mysterious bleached wonder got any closer.

---

“So that’s Angel, eh?” he asked when he finally caught up to her, a slight tease in his voice.

“What part of ‘leave me alone’ do you not understand?”

“His forehead’s a bit massive, but I guess you like what you like. All brawns and no brains is what he is. I may have been right about the gay thing though. Bloke seemed a tad bit comfortable while he was on top of me just now.”

He felt his heart flutter when a small smile crept its way across her lips briefly. It was so brief he almost missed it.

“Not funny.”

“Sure it is,” he insisted, with a triumphant smile of his own. “C’mon Summers, don’t tell me you’re still angry about those silly things I said the other night at the beach. Did you really take me seriously?”

She didn’t answer him.

“Sometimes I can be a right tosser,” he continued at her silence. They finally made it to her front door and she opened it, stepping into her house. “Can we call another truce?” he practically begged.

She rolled her eyes, only slightly amused by his antics, and closed the door without giving him an answer. He really was too much.


After saying goodnight to Dawn, Buffy opened the door to her room to find Spike sitting on her bed. “What is it with girls and flower wallpaper?” was the first thing out of his mouth. “Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice. But a bit too girly for my liking.”

Buffy’s face was shocked. “How the hell did you—”

“Your window was open,” he explained matter-of-factly, “and the tree outside works like a virtual ladder. Care to share why you were roaming the unsafe streets of Sunnydale? I’m beginning to think you’re either a superhero or a hooker.”

She folded her arms menacingly. “Get out Spike.”

“Not until you call a truce.”

“What kind of crazy person breaks into a girl’s room? This is practically robbery.” She quickly glanced around her room to make sure she didn’t have any stakes lying around. Or even worse, bras!

“Vote for the truce,” he insisted infuriatingly. He tilted his head to the side calmly and eyed her, indicating that he was ready to challenge her if the need arose.

Buffy shook her head and went into her private bathroom to change and brush her teeth. “How about I ignore you until you go away, you…freaky…person,” she called from the bathroom. She was seriously contemplating throwing him back out of the window herself.

“I should warn you now, Summers. Women find it hard to ignore me. I have a quality that makes them fall at my feet.”

“What? Body odor?”

“Psh. As if.” He picked up a stuffed animal from her bed. ‘Do teenage girls still keep stuffed pigs in their rooms nowadays?’ he thought idly.

“Y’know, I could probably call Xander to haul you out of here,” she thought out loud as she pulled her shirt over her head and slid off her bra.

Spike snorted and lazily fingered a small cross necklace on Buffy’s quaint jewelry rack. “What’s he gonna do? Threaten me with his lame jokes until I leave? Puh-lease.”

Buffy laughed inwardly, not wanting to encourage him. She was developing a very bad habit of allowing him to make her smile. It bothered her. “Don’t underestimate the Xan-Man. He has military training,” she said, throwing on a white tank-top and pajama bottoms.

Spike chuckled. “So I’ve been told.” He heard the tap run as she began to brush her teeth.

“Are you naked in there?” he wanted to know after a few minutes. “’Cause that would be really sexy.” He could just imagine Buffy in one of those hot little boy short knickers he found irresistible and a cute bra with pink polka dots on them or something. He let his thoughts wander, telling himself he would definitely need that wank before going to sleep tonight.

She came out of the bathroom to see him lying down on her bed with his head resting on his hands comfortably, apparently lost in thought. Why did Spike lying in her bed make her feel so nervous? Angel slept in her bed all the time. ‘Yeah, except with Angel, the possibility of anything sexual happening is slim to none,’ said a pesky, yet accurate voice in her head. ‘But with Spike…’

She shook that though out of her mind and pulled his boots off her bed. “No I’m not naked in there. Are you leaving yet?” For some reason her earlier thoughts of the boy in her bed made her angry with him.

“Not until you like me again,” he teased. He eyed her sleep-wear with appreciation and licked his lips. She looked absolutely delicious. Buffy blushed, wishing she hadn’t worn the white tank-top with her yummy sushi pajama bottoms. Spike smirked, noticing her nipples poking through her shirt.

“Cold Summers?” he laughed, wagging his eyebrows up and down.

Buffy looked down at herself and covered her chest angrily. “You pig!” she yelled, shoving him off of her bed and wrapping herself under her covers. She reached over and turned off the light, hoping that maybe he would disappear.

Spike stood there in the moonlight for a few minutes, unsure of what to do now. This girl just couldn’t take a joke apparently. He didn’t know why he was so drawn to her. He hated her, but that didn’t stop his pull towards her. It probably would have made sense for him to leave, but he wouldn’t admit defeat just yet. He sat back on the bed.

“Summers,” he whispered after a few more minutes passed by. “You still up?”

Buffy groaned, her voice muffled by the huge comforter. “You’re still here? I thought that was a nightmare.”

“I’ve been thinkin’ about the things I said at the beach,” he ignored her. “Y’know, about you havin’ no responsibilities an’ all that. Well maybe I was…” he struggled to find the right word.

“Wrong?” Buffy suggested from under the covers.

“That’s the word!” he snapped a finger. “Warrick always said I had a problem with apologizing.”

“Warrick?”

“Never mind.” A few minutes passed by in silence. “Look Summers, if I could, I’d take it back, but since I can’t, why don’t we try this whole friends thing again? Friends forgive each other right?”

Irritated, Buffy pulled the covers off of her head and sat up to glare at him. But she wasn’t prepared for how beautiful he looked with the moon shining off of him. His white hair looked even whiter in the pale light and his hopeful blue eyes shone with sincerity. The shadows in the room highlighted his cheekbones, tempting her to reach out and touch his skin.

“Your apology kinda sucked,” she told him softly, brushing her hair from her face.

He grinned. “With you around, I’ll have a lot more practice, I’m sure.”

She grinned back reluctantly. Spike’s breath caught at the look on her face. It was a rarity for him to see her genuine smile, and when she did, it was breathtaking. As if on its own, his hand reached out and brushed a stray strand of hair from her face, lingering to brush against her cheek. Buffy’s heart beat a little faster. “This doesn’t mean I like you,” she assured in a whisper.

“Of course not,” he agreed, still staring at her. “I don’t like you much either.”

She bit her lip, wondering what those butterflies were doing in her stomach. “Good.”

He slowly dropped his fingers from her face. The next thing she knew, he was gone, out the window without so much as a good-bye.

She looked around her silent room wondering if he’d even been there. She fell into a restless sleep.

---

Angel watched furiously as Spike climbed out of Buffy’s window. He’d warn Buffy tomorrow. This guy was bad news.


Chapter End Notes:
:)